Wednesday, May 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by teapot37 »

Winchell Factor wrote:
Budphrey wrote:Hey, Pavlov! English king + frequent Jeopardy! clue bait + horse = ... who else but Richard III??

(d'oh)
Oh, good, it wasn't just me.
I am in good company.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Kind of you to say so!

mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

BADuBois wrote:Felt bad for the Commander... always enjoy seeing military personnel take part in the game.
Doubly so for me, as I immediately recognized the silver pin below his ribbons as the dolphins of an enlisted submariner, as I was.
As one who had twelve years of Catholic school education, FJ was an Instaget. They could have made it more difficult, IMHO, to ask what the 'R' stands for in INRI... :-)
The lack of any such schooling, nor having been brought up in Catholicism, led me to expect to be stumped when they revealed "religion" - and that expectation was met.

VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

OK, about "Pebble":

You know, in early Flintstones episodes, Wilma's maiden name was indeed "Pebble!" In later episodes, after they introduced her mother as Pearl Slaghoople, her maiden name seemed to change to Slaghoople. Major continuity error there, Hanna-Barbera.

The contestant (I forget which one it was) could possibly argue this point. All they asked for was the name of a Flintstones character, right, not specifically Fred & Wilma's daughter? So Wilma (a Flintstones character) was originally (sur)named Pebble. I'd argue it!

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

teapot37 wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:
Budphrey wrote:Hey, Pavlov! English king + frequent Jeopardy! clue bait + horse = ... who else but Richard III??

(d'oh)
I am in good company.
For once I am glad I am not in such esteemed company, as I got it right!!! I almost did bite at the negbait, but remembered somewhere that Shakespeare made a lot of the horse stuff up and that Henry was an active horseman in his younger days.

Ben seems like a nice guy, but had some bad luck on the DDs. His interview fell a bit flat when Alex asked him about his overseas assignments and he said Norfolk, Hawaii and Texas. Would that count as correcting Alex?

I got the Christie play and Nazareth was an instaget.

I wonder if they used the archive to research how many times the people in the Jeopardy category had been used.
Last edited by Bamaman on Thu May 21, 2015 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

fritzatron
Contributor

Post by fritzatron »

Glad to see so many other people who had an instaget on FJ, 14 years of Catholic school for me. My high school also put on a production of Witness for the Prosecution so that was an unexpected gift. Alliterati might be my most favorite category in recent memory.

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats on win 5, Andrew. Had a couple very lucky close calls in your run but you did it in the end, so good for you. Good luck in being the first superchamp from BC tomorrow. (am I right about that stat?)

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $29,600
37 R/1 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: Instaguess
LT: mullet, pump
C: Beefeaters

I wouldn't have bet much on it, but I'm ticked at myself for letting the word "hierarchical" in the Of The Galaxy DD walk me away from "clusters."
teapot37 wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:

(d'oh)
I am in good company.
I am Negged III
Sprinkles are for winners.

willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

Winchell Factor wrote:

(d'oh)

Or me. Thanks to both of you.

willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

fritzatron wrote:Glad to see so many other people who had an instaget on FJ, 14 years of Catholic school for me. My high school also put on a production of Witness for the Prosecution so that was an unexpected gift. Alliterati might be my most favorite category in recent memory.

I liked Alliterati, too, but they should have made contestants give the full names to make responses fit the category.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
teapot37 wrote:I am in good company.
I am Negged III
I am Groot.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

What is a cumberbund is incorrect .
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

willwoodlen wrote:
fritzatron wrote:Glad to see so many other people who had an instaget on FJ, 14 years of Catholic school for me. My high school also put on a production of Witness for the Prosecution so that was an unexpected gift. Alliterati might be my most favorite category in recent memory.

I liked Alliterati, too, but they should have made contestants give the full names to make responses fit the category.

Agreed. What's the point of alliteration if they only give one of the names? Glad to see Andrew win again.

JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

Elijah Baley wrote:Witness for the Prosecution is a triple stumper?? A film based on one of the most popular murder mystery authors, directed by one of the greatest directors, cast with some of Hollywood's most iconic actors?
Not to mention 'The Verdict' with Paul Newman being same (with 2 wild guesses).

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:I wonder if they used the archive to research how many times the people in the Jeopardy category had been used.
I think the archive should include a notice: "Free for personal use. Contact us for our affordable business rates." :D

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:

(d'oh)
I am in good company.
As am I.

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Anybody think it's time for Johnny to stop adding "Canada" to Andrew and other Canadians' introductions? I don't think most people, upon hearing simply "Squamish, British Columbia" or "Memramcook, New Brunswick" would be terribly confused.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

They have their own computer database but I don't know how much of the early years were entered into it when they finally set it up.

Hey, was there any "7,000th program"-related content in the end credits? I wiped it from my DVR without paying attention.

It really is a shame that the show has declared this to be the 7,000th program without showing their work. It's just going to lead to more confusion. Maybe it was the 7,000th episode taped. Maybe it was the 7,000th game taped. But Wednesday's show was neither the 7,000th episode or game to be aired.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote:Hey, was there any "7,000th program"-related content in the end credits? I wiped it from my DVR without paying attention.
There was a cake cutting and a bunch of people standing around.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT James Joyce on Alliterati for $400?
Alliteratively named writer born in Dublin in the late 1800s. What more do you need?
TPH wrote:WLT Hamlet on Jeopardy! Favorites for $200? Was it the word that kinda sorta might have vaguely sounded like Denmark if you looked at it for an hour?
You'd probably get there quicker if you thought Danorum = Dane rather than Denmark.