Wednesday, May 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote:
Robert K S wrote:Hey, was there any "7,000th program"-related content in the end credits? I wiped it from my DVR without paying attention.
There was a cake cutting and a bunch of people standing around.
I'm going to guess that this was the last game of the day to tape...
The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by The Talking Mime »

JayK33 wrote:Congrats on win 5, Andrew. Had a couple very lucky close calls in your run but you did it in the end, so good for you. Good luck in being the first superchamp from BC tomorrow. (am I right about that stat?)
Unless I'm mistaken, Andrew has a shot tomorrow to become the first Canadian superchamp EVER. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's show to see if he can accomplish that.
grindcore wrote:Anybody think it's time for Johnny to stop adding "Canada" to Andrew and other Canadians' introductions? I don't think most people, upon hearing simply "Squamish, British Columbia" or "Memramcook, New Brunswick" would be terribly confused.
Agreed.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

JeopRDFan wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:Witness for the Prosecution is a triple stumper?? A film based on one of the most popular murder mystery authors, directed by one of the greatest directors, cast with some of Hollywood's most iconic actors?
Not to mention 'The Verdict' with Paul Newman being same (with 2 wild guesses).
And the blank stares when they showed a picture of Gary Cooper recently (it was Gary Cooper, right?).

It's odd because older movies seem to be a weak spot for a lot of folks; I think Ken Jennings even drew a blank on a relatively easy FJ in the Tournament of the Decades that asked for Academy Award winners.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Elijah Baley wrote:
JeopRDFan wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:Witness for the Prosecution is a triple stumper?? A film based on one of the most popular murder mystery authors, directed by one of the greatest directors, cast with some of Hollywood's most iconic actors?
And the blank stares when they showed a picture of Gary Cooper recently (it was Gary Cooper, right?).
I think that was Gregory Peck.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT James Joyce on Alliterati for $400?
Alliteratively named writer born in Dublin in the late 1800s. What more do you need?
Seeing two A's and getting sidetracked enough to think "A. A. Milne?!?"
This Is Kirk! wrote:
TPH wrote:WLT Hamlet on Jeopardy! Favorites for $200? Was it the word that kinda sorta might have vaguely sounded like Denmark if you looked at it for an hour?
You'd probably get there quicker if you thought Danorum = Dane rather than Denmark.
Still only kinda sorta vaguely sounds like it. IMO no closer than "Dannebrog", which was supposed to be the only TOM to Denmark on a previous $200 clue.

So what led to Munich then? As I said, that was NOT a "go for the obvious".
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

grindcore wrote:Anybody think it's time for Johnny to stop adding "Canada" to Andrew and other Canadians' introductions? I don't think most people, upon hearing simply "Squamish, British Columbia" or "Memramcook, New Brunswick" would be terribly confused.
Perhaps we should stop making license plates which say "New Mexico, USA".
OCSam
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote:So what led to Munich then? As I said, that was NOT a "go for the obvious".
It's a well-known fact that Chamberlain went to Munich, attempted to appease Hitler, and came back to London bragging that they had achieved "peace in our time." I don't think it's $200-level common knowledge, but it's certainly not obscure.

I likewise think the Hamlet clue was undervalued at $200. Danorum = Dane = Hamlet is plenty gettable, but it takes some knowledge and work.

FWIW, I got Hamlet but couldn't remember Munich.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

You and I both. It's "Phoenix, Arizona" but "Chatham, Ontario, Canada?" I mean it's never "Memphis, Tennessee, United States", or, worse, "Helena, United States".

I'm sure I've heard contestants be introduced as from just "Red Deer, Alberta", but they seem to be the minority of Canadian contestants, so it may just be what's written on the paperwork. Myself, I do plan on writing just. "Winnipeg, Manitoba", and request a retake of the intro if "Canada" slips in there.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

teapot37 wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
JeopRDFan wrote:
I think that was Gregory Peck.
I think you're right. Who should have been equally recognizable because if one hasn't seen To Kill A Mockingbird or Roman Holiday, they owe it to themselves to rectify that omission.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They were called the Munich Accords for a reason.

I did not get Gregory Peck. Had they shown him as Atticus Finch, I would have.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Elijah Baley wrote:It's odd because older movies seem to be a weak spot for a lot of folks
I'd say a lot of people just don't feel like sitting around and watching old movies. That's the main reason for my lack of knowledge in that area.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

OrangeSAM wrote:
No, too many people don't think we're a state.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Not too long ago, there was a contestant from New Mexico who, I think, worked in tourism or the hotel industry, and said people frequently confuse the state with Mexico, the country.

As far as FJ, I narrowed it down even further to biblical places pertaining to Christ that start with "n", and remembered the phrase, "Jesus of Nazareth."
Last edited by thenextofken on Thu May 21, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ElendilPickle wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
No, too many people don't think we're a state.
"There's a *New* Mexico now?" - Ten Pound Hammer Homer Simpson
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:It's odd because older movies seem to be a weak spot for a lot of folks
I'd say a lot of people just don't feel like sitting around and watching old movies. That's the main reason for my lack of knowledge in that area.
But they sit around to watch new movies, and presumably, people are still sitting around to read old books (even really old books), so is it something about the fact that a movie was made 40 years ago or more that scares people off? (I'm not sure what counts as an old movie but I realize that the earlier stuff released in my lifetime probably qualifies). I'm not one of those who thinks that they're not making good movies today because you name the decade and I'll give you 10 truly great movies that stand (or will stand) the test of time, but it is odd that there does seem to be a thing - for some folks - about old movies.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

You forget TPH watches this show.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Years ago, when 'Dear Abby' was running out of mail, the column would sometimes include letters from people in New Mexico, complaining that people in other states were dopes who thought that N.M. was a foreign country.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Elijah Baley wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
But they sit around to watch new movies, and presumably, people are still sitting around to read old books (even really old books), so is it something about the fact that a movie was made 40 years ago or more that scares people off? (I'm not sure what counts as an old movie but I realize that the earlier stuff released in my lifetime probably qualifies). I'm not one of those who thinks that they're not making good movies today because you name the decade and I'll give you 10 truly great movies that stand (or will stand) the test of time, but it is odd that there does seem to be a thing - for some folks - about old movies.
It might be Robert Osborne. :lol:
'Old' movies (as in 40 or more years old) are simply harder to find on TV, unless you're actually looking for them. You can't just channel-surf local stations on weekend afternoons and find 'The Maltese Falcon', like you could before all the cable 'retro' movie channels came along. (Instead, you can find 'The Shawshank Redemption' on TNT pretty much every day, but that one is 'only' 21 years old.)
billiej

Post by billiej »

Winchell Factor wrote:
Budphrey wrote:Hey, Pavlov! English king + frequent Jeopardy! clue bait + horse = ... who else but Richard III??

(d'oh)
Oh, good, it wasn't just me.
Nope!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Elijah Baley wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
But they sit around to watch new movies, and presumably, people are still sitting around to read old books (even really old books), so is it something about the fact that a movie was made 40 years ago or more that scares people off?
Some do, some don't. Personally I don't watch movies of any ilk these days. I do read, but plenty of people don't do that either. I think that makes categories about either movies or books iffy on Jeopardy!. Seems like plenty of triple stumpers in both.