Wednesday, May 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, May 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ElendilPickle wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
grindcore wrote:Anybody think it's time for Johnny to stop adding "Canada" to Andrew and other Canadians' introductions? I don't think most people, upon hearing simply "Squamish, British Columbia" or "Memramcook, New Brunswick" would be terribly confused.
Perhaps we should stop making license plates which say "New Mexico, USA".
No, too many people don't think we're a state.
What? I guess that explains why the main characters spoke English in Breaking Bad. I thought it was just so we wouldn't have to read a lot of subtitles. :)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:What? I guess that explains why the main characters spoke English in Breaking Bad. I thought it was just so we wouldn't have to read a lot of subtitles. :)
It's too bad Vince Gilligan's next project wasn't called Caucasians and set in Tbilisi.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:What? I guess that explains why the main characters spoke English in Breaking Bad. I thought it was just so we wouldn't have to read a lot of subtitles. :)
It's too bad Vince Gilligan's next project wasn't called Caucasians and set in Tbilisi.
And say it's set in Georgia and expect a bunch of good ol' boys from Macon to be excited.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

teapot37 wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:And the blank stares when they showed a picture of Gary Cooper recently (it was Gary Cooper, right?).
I think that was Gregory Peck.
The last time Gary Cooper was a video clue, he was only a single stumper.

I think I probably said "Gary Cooper" for the Gregory Peck clue, though. Some of these classic Hollywood leading men looked a lot alike in their younger days.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
grindcore wrote:Anybody think it's time for Johnny to stop adding "Canada" to Andrew and other Canadians' introductions? I don't think most people, upon hearing simply "Squamish, British Columbia" or "Memramcook, New Brunswick" would be terribly confused.
Perhaps we should stop making license plates which say "New Mexico, USA".
No, too many people don't think we're a state.
What? I guess that explains why the main characters spoke English in Breaking Bad. I thought it was just so we wouldn't have to read a lot of subtitles. :)
Then again, there's this.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

dhkendall wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
And say it's set in Georgia and expect a bunch of good ol' boys from Macon to be excited.
Just like that time when the Klansmen were looking forward to seeing Boyz N The Hood.
Sprinkles are for winners.
BenHom
Contributor

Post by BenHom »

Robert K S wrote:
econgator wrote:
Robert K S wrote:Hey, was there any "7,000th program"-related content in the end credits? I wiped it from my DVR without paying attention.
There was a cake cutting and a bunch of people standing around.
I'm going to guess that this was the last game of the day to tape...
Actually, no. It was the third episode taped that day. The cake cutting was done after the final show of the day. I didn't get any as I'd already left at lunch with my friends to go sightseeing around LA. :)
BenHom
Contributor

Post by BenHom »

econgator wrote:Refers to Nazareth, but stands for Nazarene.
Yes. "Iesus Nazarenus, Rex Iudaeorum" literally translates as "Jesus the Nazerene, King of the Jews". ("Nazarenus" is nominative; it should be "Nazareni" for the genitive "of Nazareth"). So she wasn't wrong about the translation; however, the question was "The 'N' in the I.N.R.I. written on the Christian cross refers to THIS PLACE." Still, I feel bad about winning second place due to semantics.
BenHom
Contributor

Post by BenHom »

BADuBois wrote:As one who had twelve years of Catholic school education, FJ was an Instaget. They could have made it more difficult, IMHO, to ask what the 'R' stands for in INRI... :-)
An easy Final was the last thing I wanted to see while being way behind. Still, the third place wager is pretty easy in this case - you're guaranteed to walk off the stage with $1000, so why not be aggressive?
BenHom
Contributor

Post by BenHom »

Category 13 wrote:Yeah, I was really hoping for that. Around the minute to go warning they where sitting at 14,800 & 7,400 and I was thinking 'if only Ben rings in first on the rest of the clues'.
Trust me - I was doing my best! :) I think I was trying too hard to catch up after I blew the DD, and it threw my timing off. I was consistently early in the rest of DJ, locking myself out time and again.
Category 13 wrote:When the DJ ended at 18,000 to 9,000, I was doing a Marv Albert "YES".
Then Alex immediately pulls the rug out. #*!^#~<#*%!
My thoughts exactly at the time as I still had a shot with a tough Final. :) I knew Andrew was right with "Anfortas" from Parsifal and happily grabbed the rebound when they ruled against him, but he rightfully challenged it at the break and put the game out of reach.
BenHom
Contributor

Post by BenHom »

sarisson wrote:As an RPI grad, I was proud that a member of the Class of '89 got out of the hole and finished second on the 7000th episode. He must have joined the military right after college; Hawaii is a far, far better place to be stationed than Troy, NY.
Thanks! I paid for RPI using an ROTC scholarship and got commissioned upon graduating, and rather surprisingly, stuck around long after my four year commitment was paid back.
BenHom
Contributor

Post by BenHom »

MarkBarrett wrote:Ben hunted and found 2 DDs. Be careful what you wish for you just might get it.
Hey, I wasn't going to beat Andrew on the strength of my good looks, and Becky wasn't a slouch either. I'd already seen him win two games that day, and knew he was going for his fifth win, so I had to be aggressive. Not sure I would have been able to catch Andrew in Double Jeopardy anyway, as he did extremely well in those categories. The $5,000 I lost would certainly have helped, but I still would have to play catchup in Final. (Although I would have been in better shape for the second DD and might hvae bet more conservatively at that point.) All I could see in my mind's eye on the second DD was the ending to "Men In Black"! I should have been a smartass and answered, "That big pile of marbles from the end of Men In Black." As another naval officer once said, "It seems a law inflexible and inexorable that he who will not risk cannot win."
BenHom
Contributor

Post by BenHom »

Bamaman wrote:Ben seems like a nice guy, but had some bad luck on the DDs. His interview fell a bit flat when Alex asked him about his overseas assignments and he said Norfolk, Hawaii and Texas. Would that count as correcting Alex?
I though I heard him ask me "sea duty assignments", so that's why I said Norfolk, Hawaii, and Texas. My friend Jennifer gave me a hard time because I left Bahrain off the list, but I'm still trying to forget that one. ;) Alex surprised me by not going with the interesting fact that the Contestant Coordinators and I recommended. (We went with "Counter-Piracy Task Force Operations Officer during Maersk Alabama incident".) He went with the safer "25-year Navy veteran", so I had to scramble to come up with something other than the answer to the question we expected!
Bamaman wrote:I wonder if they used the archive to research how many times the people in the Jeopardy category had been used.
In hindsight, that would have been a good idea for prep. I knew the episode was airing around Memorial Day, so I had prepared for a potential Memorial Day category, but I had no idea the 7,000th episode was going to be taped around that time. That definitely threw a curveball in the first round.
BenHom
Contributor

Post by BenHom »

billy pilgrim wrote:What is a cumberbund is incorrect.
How is cummerbund incorrect? Either way, I'm taking the money if they'll give it to me at that point in the game! :)
BenHom
Contributor

Post by BenHom »

Robert K S wrote:It really is a shame that the show has declared this to be the 7,000th program without showing their work. It's just going to lead to more confusion. Maybe it was the 7,000th episode taped. Maybe it was the 7,000th game taped. But Wednesday's show was neither the 7,000th episode or game to be aired.
It had me scratching my head too, as the production number was 7073.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Robert K S wrote:I think I probably said "Gary Cooper" for the Gregory Peck clue, though. Some of these classic Hollywood leading men looked a lot alike in their younger days.
Personally I think a lot of the modern ones do too.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

sarisson wrote:As an RPI grad, I was proud that a member of the Class of '89 got out of the hole and finished second on the 7000th episode. He must have joined the military right after college; Hawaii is a far, far better place to be stationed than Troy, NY.
Hey! This townie wonders how you can possibly say that!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BenHom wrote:
Yes. "Iesus Nazarenus, Rex Iudaeorum" literally translates as "Jesus the Nazerene, King of the Jews". ("Nazarenus" is nominative; it should be "Nazareni" for the genitive "of Nazareth").
The genitive of Nazarenus would mean "of the Nazarene," no? Looking through my Vulgate, it appears that Nazareth is indeclinable, i.e. it takes no case endings. So when Luke says Jesus is from the city of Nazareth, that's just "de civitate Nazareth."
BenHom
Contributor

Post by BenHom »

opusthepenguin wrote:
BenHom wrote:
Yes. "Iesus Nazarenus, Rex Iudaeorum" literally translates as "Jesus the Nazerene, King of the Jews". ("Nazarenus" is nominative; it should be "Nazareni" for the genitive "of Nazareth").
The genitive of Nazarenus would mean "of the Nazarene," no? Looking through my Vulgate, it appears that Nazareth is indeclinable, i.e. it takes no case endings. So when Luke says Jesus is from the city of Nazareth, that's just "de civitate Nazareth."
True. It could also be that the legionaries who put up the sign weren't very literate. :)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

patkav wrote:
Hey! This townie wonders how you can possibly say that!
When I visited RPI in May 1978 (to see the Grateful Dead at the fieldhouse, of course), I was quite amused by the fact that the students call the townies "Troylets".

Sorry things didn't work out for you, Ben. And welcome! As with all contestants, we hope you stick around.