Wednesday, May 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skullturf »

I ran the "Murdered to Death" category (or whatever the exact title was). I felt I was obligated to, after listing "Famous Deaths" as a hypothetical category for my Jeopardy! dream board in another thread.

I got this FJ in about 20 seconds. On another day, I would have missed it. Definitely had more of a "make you sweat" quality than other FJs (although in retrospect it makes sense that "neighboring states" would just be NY and NJ as opposed to anything less populous and more obscure).

I tried to think of contemporary governors during the commercial break, and Christie and Cuomo were among the half-dozen or so that quickly came to mind during the break. Even with that, FJ didn't click right away. I don't know much about the pre-governor careers of either of those men, but eventually I realized, "Those both start with C, and their states are next to each other, so it has a chance."

I wrote down "Who are C. Christie and A. Cuomo", but I see that I wouldn't have needed first names or initials. (I was mildly worried about the existence of Mario Cuomo, and *also* mildly worried that I wasn't remembering the younger Cuomo's first name correctly.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

skullturf wrote: I wrote down "Who are C. Christie and A. Cuomo", but I see that I wouldn't have needed first names or initials. (I was mildly worried about the existence of Mario Cuomo, and *also* mildly worried that I wasn't remembering the younger Cuomo's first name correctly.)
Well, Mario died recently, so you are good there. Andrew has a brother named Chris who is on one of the news channels.
Last edited by Bamaman on Thu May 28, 2015 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
floridagator wrote:Even if you don't know, you can figure it out because Delaware is the right size, shape, and position to simulate a pocket square in a man's jacket.
Still not seeing it. Who's to say that RI or MA aren't if you have to fudge it that badly? Or NJ?
RI, MA and NJ are not generally referred to as mid-Atlantic states. (Mind you, I don't think it was a total gimme.)
Sprinkles are for winners.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Andy Cuomo's first prosecution was as Daddy's attack dog on Ed Koch. But anyway, a fairly quick FJ for tie former NYer. Good game for Dan but I'd never want my kids going to that pediatrician! Lot of TS's that seemed pretty easy but maybe the lights add more pressure than we know.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

nlw44 wrote:On another note - TPTB at J! just LOVE Luther Burbank. I don't suppose he is so well-known outside of southern California, but it's very much worthwhile to commit that name to memory as a botanist. Also, remember BurbanK + russet potato (an audition/online test question in the past.)
Another potentially important fact: the city of Burbank, California, was not named for Luther Burbank. It was named for the unrelated Dr. David Burbank, who owned the land that later became the city. (Patton Oswalt did a joke about how the story of most places in California involves war and bloodshed, but with Burbank, it's "there was a dentist, and he founded a town.")
bleezy
Valued Contributor

Post by bleezy »

I also guessed tarmac for pavement named after a Scot, I was shocked to hear it wasn't correct. I also guessed Crimea and Boer in the same order for the mysterious war.

Edit: I don't want to be a dick but Caesar was so easy I wish they wouldn't even run questions that obvious. A Roman with a laurel being stabbed by a mob of people? Wow.
Last edited by bleezy on Thu May 28, 2015 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Kid Charlemagne wrote:
nlw44 wrote:My first thought was Brown (CA) and Brewer (AZ) - contiguous states and close alphabetically - so I didn't look any further. I doubt I would have thought of Christie and Cuomo even without that side step, not in 30 seconds anyway, though who knows. It had to be a couple of pretty prominent governors/states for them to have any expectation of contestants getting it.
Brewer's not Governor of AZ anymore, and neither of them was a prosecutor. Wiki says Brewer doesn't have a college degree. Brown was an attorney but not (technically) a prosecutor; he was Secretary of State and I guess in California that does involve going after election law violators, so if Brewer had been AG (like so many governors) you'd actually have a good case to be ruled correct there IMO.
My first thought was AZ, but since I'm from there I knew Brewer had been replaced (and also that the current governor doesn't have a law background, and in retrospect, also the name doesn't fit). Had she still been in office, I would have never pegged her as a former lawyer anyhow (let's just say public speaking isn't one of her strongest suits...).

I latched onto Christie and Cuomo quickly after that, either before Alex had finished reading the clue, or soon after. I think Christie stuck out to me perhaps for being a prospective presidential candidate...who knows. From him it was an easy leap to Cuomo, who was the one of the two I knew had been Attorney General.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

opusthepenguin wrote:I understand that after the show Cloture's mom approached Dan and gave him a talking to.
Opus, posts like these are why you're one of my favorites.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

bleezy wrote:I also guessed tarmac for pavement named after a Scot, I was shocked to hear it wasn't correct.
If the clue had just been "pavement named after a Scot," macadam and tarmac both would have been acceptable (tarmac getting its name partially from macadam, it's necessarily named after the Scot as well). But with the specific time and place of the paving given, only macadam could be taken.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Although I've been familiar with the term 'cloture' for years, I had never looked up the etymology(French) til just now.No wonder Dan pronounced it the way he did. ma Cloture wouldn't have been that upset! I just figured some bewigged 'merican in the 18th century screwed up the word 'closure', and it became some kind of tradition.
Interesting that Canadian parliament refers to the debate-ending process as 'closure'(America uses a French term, and English-speaking Canada doesn't? Kell ahm-poe-see-bluh!
GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GhostStalker »

Instaget FJ for me, being a New Yorker and all. Cuomo was our AG before getting to the governor's mansion (I voted for him in 3 elections because the Republican alternative was worse), and Christie was mentioned as a former federal prosecutor on NPR during all of their Bridgegate coverage in the past couple of months.

It's almost impossible to watch TV without getting a political ad regarding schools involving schools here nowadays.
Last edited by GhostStalker on Thu May 28, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Coryat: $35,200
45 R/0 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: Luther Burbank, larynx/pharynx (DD)

I cannot express how much I detest this FJ! I might have gotten it in-studio just because I wouldn't have a fast forward button and would spend several minutes trying to come up with a governor for each state, but this is just not a fair clue to be able to tease out in 30 seconds. Mark, can we poll the number of people who got this one in the first five seconds?
You might want to divide this poll between current residents of the NY metro area and everyone else. I live in CT, grew up in NJ and got this in 5 seconds
Leander

Post by Leander »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
floridagator wrote:Even if you don't know, you can figure it out because Delaware is the right size, shape, and position to simulate a pocket square in a man's jacket.
Still not seeing it. Who's to say that RI or MA aren't if you have to fudge it that badly? Or NJ?
RI, MA and NJ are not generally referred to as mid-Atlantic states. (Mind you, I don't think it was a total gimme.)
RI and MA are New England. NJ is a mid Atlantic state.
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote:That was a bad day for the pediatrician, losing in large part because she missed two medical clues.

Regarding her interview, what vaccines do we have today that we didn't have 32 years ago?
Chicken Pox, as mentioned. Some of these might be closer to 35 years, but Hepatitis A and B. Hep B is regularly given to most kids now and Hep A in high risk areas. Prevnar for pneumonia, pertussis (whooping cough) HiB for flu, I might be forgetting one or two.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Mark, can we poll the number of people who got this one in the first five seconds?
I'd be interested in the results to "I got Wednesday's FJ in the first five seconds or not at all." I wouldn't be surprised to see that poll at over 90 percent. If the question is just "I got Wednesday's FJ in the first five seconds," I'll have to do math to figure out what I want to know.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Kid Charlemagne wrote:
nlw44 wrote:My first thought was Brown (CA) and Brewer (AZ) - contiguous states and close alphabetically - so I didn't look any further. I doubt I would have thought of Christie and Cuomo even without that side step, not in 30 seconds anyway, though who knows. It had to be a couple of pretty prominent governors/states for them to have any expectation of contestants getting it.

On another note - TPTB at J! just LOVE Luther Burbank. I don't suppose he is so well-known outside of southern California, but it's very much worthwhile to commit that name to memory as a botanist. Also, remember BurbanK + russet potato (an audition/online test question in the past.)
Brewer's not Governor of AZ anymore, and neither of them was a prosecutor. Wiki says Brewer doesn't have a college degree. Brown was an attorney but not (technically) a prosecutor; he was Secretary of State and I guess in California that does involve going after election law violators, so if Brewer had been AG (like so many governors) you'd actually have a good case to be ruled correct there IMO.

I felt like I picked up a lot of Lach Trash in this game for the second day in a row.
I used to have the govs memorized, but it became too difficult to redo it every year for the ones that changed. So I did not know that Brewer was gone. As far as the prosecutor bit goes, I really had no idea for any of them - it was a stab in the dark, but if I hadn't thought of B/B first, I might have had a very slim chance to go to the other really prominent state, NY.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Toronto at $800?
City in Ontario with subway. It was the first, the last, the only one. Even if you don't know for certain that Ottawa, London, Hamilton, Thunder Bay, Sudbury, Kingston, Windsor, Napanee, Winchester, and Atikokan DON'T have subways, you should know that Toronto does.
TPH: Toronto is about a four hour drive from where you live. You should visit sometime. Lots to see and do there including riding the subway. :)
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
RI & MA aren't Mid-Atlantic states though; they are New England states.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

floridagator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Toronto at $800?
City in Ontario with subway. It was the first, the last, the only one. Even if you don't know for certain that Ottawa, London, Hamilton, Thunder Bay, Sudbury, Kingston, Windsor, Napanee, Winchester, and Atikokan DON'T have subways, you should know that Toronto does.
I'm sure Atikokan must have one...

For what its worth: a subway (well, subterranean light rail transit system) is under construction in Ottawa. I think it won't be open until 2020 or so though...

During the last federal election, the local Kingston green party candidate had, as part of his platform, a proposal for light rail transit in Kingston. It really is a shame - he was well spoken and seemed sane up until that point.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
grindcore wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Caesar or Mother Teresa at $200?

NHO Franz Ferdinand.
a) stabbing
b) nun
c) he famously fronts a scottish pop band

a) Because he was the only famous person ever stabbed, right? b.) Nun was in the clue?
Yes, the only famous Roman stabbed in the Senate by a gang of others (even a quick look at the painting strongly suggests it's a painting of Romans). With the most quoted bit of Shakespeare outside of "Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou, Romeo?" (Since I know I have to spell it out for you: "Et tu, Brute?"). And one of the more significant events involving one of the most significant men in ancient history. But yes, other than that, it could have literally been any other person being stabbed. (I'm curious as to your short list of other famous stabbing victims that wore togas).

And if there is a more famous non-fictional nun in the last 50 years other than Mother Teresa, I'm on pins and needles to hear who you think it might be.