Wednesday, May 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Re: Wednesday, May 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bomtr »

If you think Rick Perry was a dumb-sounding governor, take a listen to that current governor of Arizona. Yeah, it's not Brewer. Took me about 20 seconds for FJ off the archive. I'm an outlier in Opusland. Haven't watched the game, but had $11k in trash off the archive.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Seriously, people, the whole Caesar thing should be moved over to the thread devoted specifically to that kind of question. It's getting ridiculous again.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Elijah Baley wrote:
And if there is a more famous non-fictional nun in the last 50 years other than Mother Teresa, I'm on pins and needles to hear who you think it might be.
...who quite literally cared for people in gutters.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

I've lived in Delaware for almost four years, Maryland for eight years before that, and Virginia for thirteen years before that, and had never heard the "Uncle Sam's pocket handkerchief" thing before.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

NHO Uncle Sam's pocket handkerchief either, but it certainly makes sense after hearing it.
U.S. geography has always been one of my favorite categories.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

No comment on AT mentioning Connery in the opening chat, then Connery being a correct response only two clues in? I'm surprised they didn't do something about that.
dhkendall wrote:The laurel leaves on the victim's head was a dead giveaway too, only one person in art has those all the time, and it's Caesar. Just like another JC is always depicted with a halo, this JC is always depicted with a crown of laurel leaves.
Between this and all the time I miss objects in Idiotest pictures that aren't even hidden, I think I need to pay another visit to the optometrist. Maybe there is some truth to that whole "it'll make you go blind" thing after all... :lol:

Also didn't know that Caesar was stabbed and/or didn't process anything about the image as being "Roman". I knew "et tu, Brute?" was a thing, but had no idea on the context. The only Caesar I have more than a passing familiarity with is Little.
This Is Kirk! wrote:TPH: Toronto is about a four hour drive from where you live. You should visit sometime. Lots to see and do there including riding the subway. :)
Will you PayPal me the money for a passport then? :D (At least I don't need a passport for Tim Hortons, since there is one in this very town.)
patkav wrote:...who quite literally cared for people in gutters.
Ah, that was it. My mind got snagged on "gutters", went "wait, someone famous for bowling?!?", and couldn't rebound in time. (So I guess you could say I had to get my mind out of the gutter.)
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

bomtr wrote:If you think Rick Perry was a dumb-sounding governor, take a listen to that current governor of Arizona. Yeah, it's not Brewer.
Amen to that...
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
patkav wrote:...who quite literally cared for people in gutters.
Ah, that was it. My mind got snagged on "gutters", went "wait, someone famous for bowling?!?", and couldn't rebound in time. (So I guess you could say I had to get my mind out of the gutter.)
Never change, TPH. You crack me up. :-D
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MST3K fans probably recognized Operation Kid Brother which included this classic chart tracking the lives of Sean and Neil Connery.
(If you can't make it out, that massive drop in Sean's line graph? 1991.)
Bigger hint:
Spoiler
Highlander 2
Also Joe Estevez from his classic (*cough*) roles in Soultaker and Wharwulf (or, properly pronounced, Werewolf).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Christie came to me quickly. But I could not remember Cuomo in time.
I live in NJ. But to be honest, the air here does funny things to your ability to think. Just check out our drivers for the proof.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GhostStalker »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
dhkendall wrote:The laurel leaves on the victim's head was a dead giveaway too, only one person in art has those all the time, and it's Caesar. Just like another JC is always depicted with a halo, this JC is always depicted with a crown of laurel leaves.
Also didn't know that Caesar was stabbed and/or didn't process anything about the image as being "Roman". I knew "et tu, Brute?" was a thing, but had no idea on the context. The only Caesar I have more than a passing familiarity with is Little.
Really? The Ides of March don't ring any bells at all? Never seen Rome? What the heck do kids these days learn about ancient history?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

GhostStalker wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Really? The Ides of March don't ring any bells at all? Never seen Rome? What the heck do kids these days learn about ancient history?
I knew the Ides of March were a thing, but knew nothing other than "something on the 15th of March". Our family has never been a movie-going one.

And for the record, I somehow graduated without taking world history. Mom insists I did, but I know I didn't.
GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GhostStalker »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
GhostStalker wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
I knew the Ides of March were a thing, but knew nothing other than "something on the 15th of March". Our family has never been a movie-going one.

And for the record, I somehow graduated without taking world history. Mom insists I did, but I know I didn't.
Rome was an HBO show, not a movie, and a damn good one too.

I find the lack of taking world history strange, but somehow believable, given the state of our education system...
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

GhostStalker wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
GhostStalker wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:

Rome was an HBO show, not a movie, and a damn good one too.

I find the lack of taking world history strange, but somehow believable, given the state of our education system...
I graduated high school with a mark of exactly 50% in math - my math teacher told me at grad if I had one more question wrong on final I would have been held back a year and not allowed to graduate when I did (1990, for the record). I vowed to never take another math class again and got my B.A. four years later having succeeded. In my last year of university there was an announcement that starting next year, math was a requirement for any major. I felt very lucky.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GhostStalker »

dhkendall wrote:
GhostStalker wrote: I find the lack of taking world history strange, but somehow believable, given the state of our education system...
I graduated high school with a mark of exactly 50% in math - my math teacher told me at grad if I had one more question wrong on final I would have been held back a year and not allowed to graduate when I did (1990, for the record). I vowed to never take another math class again and got my B.A. four years later having succeeded. In my last year of university there was an announcement that starting next year, math was a requirement for any major. I felt very lucky.
Being a math major, I can completely understand. When you get to the higher level math stuff like I'm in, it's all theory and proofs, you don't even work with numbers anymore. I can do basic calculus instantly, but I blundered through my most recent Advanced Calc course, just barely passing.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

GhostStalker wrote: Being a math major, I can completely understand. When you get to the higher level math stuff like I'm in, it's all theory and proofs, you don't even work with numbers anymore. I can do basic calculus instantly, but I blundered through my most recent Advanced Calc course, just barely passing.
SOme 300 and 400 level undergrad and a lot of grad math courses are this way..... I got through them somehow, despite some here thinking I'm stupid, somehow 20 years ago before I lived on the internet I got through it somehow.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Category 13 wrote:
econgator wrote:but seriously stupid clue for an FJ.
Agreed...
If you don't know it right away, you'll never figure it out in 30 seconds.
Um, I didn't know it right away and I figured it out. Christie was a SWAG since I seemed to remember him being a prosecutor. That led to Cuomo.

Loved the Monty Python reference on the 1000 "rub" clue.

Got Harare and Westinghouse trash.
GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GhostStalker »

legendneverdies wrote:
GhostStalker wrote: Being a math major, I can completely understand. When you get to the higher level math stuff like I'm in, it's all theory and proofs, you don't even work with numbers anymore. I can do basic calculus instantly, but I blundered through my most recent Advanced Calc course, just barely passing.
SOme 300 and 400 level undergrad and a lot of grad math courses are this way..... I got through them somehow, despite some here thinking I'm stupid, somehow 20 years ago before I lived on the internet I got through it somehow.
Some courses? Try almost all. I haven't really worked with any numbers since Linear Algebra. After that, its been all Group Theory, Abstract Algebra, Theorems of Calculus, Proofs up the wazoo, etc.
Last edited by GhostStalker on Fri May 29, 2015 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

GhostStalker wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
Some? Try almost all.
I assume you're responding to "some...courses" and not to "some here" in that post.
GhostStalker
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by GhostStalker »

seaborgium wrote:
GhostStalker wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
Some? Try almost all.
I assume you're responding to "some...courses" and not to "some here" in that post.
Yes, I was. Sorry, I'll make it more clear in my post.