Thursday, May 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7079, 2015-05-28

CONTESTANTS
Adrienne Onofri, a writer and editor from Queens, New York
Ivan Tan, a graduate student originally from Lexington, Massachusetts
Dan Feitel, an attorney originally from Gillette, New Jersey (whose 2-day cash winnings total $45,599)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Dan, is your mom in the audience again today?

Dan: She is. Watch out.

Alex: All right, then I'll make sure I pronounce your name correctly. Ivan and Adrienne, good to have you with us. And good luck to all of you as we put you to work now in the Jeopardy! Round. It's the easier round, as you know. And today, here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SUPERHERO DAY JOBS? (5/5)
BOOKS' FIRST LINES (5/5)
BASEBALL STADIUMS (5/5)
ISLANDS IN THE "C"s (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with that letter of the alphabet.)
PERFUME (3/5)
WORDS WITH(IN) FRIENDS (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will be made up of the letters you find in the word "friends".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ivan: 10 R, 0 W
Dan: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Adrienne: 7 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dan: $4,200
Ivan: $3,200
Adrienne: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Adrienne Onofri is a writer and editor from New York who once created a word.

Adrienne: I did when I was a child. But it is why, to this day, I have friends and relatives who, um, when they see something cute, they do not say "cute"--they call it a "curgy".

Alex: A curgy?

Adrienne: Yes.

Alex: How did you come up with that word?

Adrienne: You know, I don't even remember. It was so long ago. But, um--

Alex: Interesting!

Adrienne: --my friends and family have been trying to spread it to other people.

Alex: Well, good for them.

[Adrienne laughs.]

Alex: Propagation--that's what we need more of with language.

Alex: Ivan Tan is a graduate student. He deals with language. But he must have a great sense of humor because I hear he once entered the dining hall in kind of an unusual way.

Ivan: Yes, so, during my freshman year of undergrad, my friends and I found a pile of ropes and metal stakes that had been used to fence off areas of the quad, and we constructed a rope ladder and then entered into a courtyard in the dining hall via rope ladder.

Alex: Did you get into trouble for that?

Ivan: No, we actually got a standing ovation from all the diners.

Alex: I thought you were gonna say, "No, we actually got an A-plus in our exam."

[Both laugh]

Alex: Oh, college students. That's why we go to college, to do things like that.

Alex: Dan Feitel is our champion, and I'm a little concerned about him because he is on the Secret Service list of people who do--like Ivan--weird things. What did you do to get the Secret Service interested in you?

Dan: Well, it wasn't that weird, but I used to, when I lived in Washington, D.C., play flag football in a league that played on the Ellipse, which is a lawn just off the White House. And occasionally, if the President would need to be coming in or out of the South Entrance to the White House, Secret Service members would come along and kind of usher us off the field without that much humor about it. And so I've had a couple run-ins with them where I had to get out of there.

Alex: So they don't like it when you're playing touch football there and you're telling everybody, "Go deep, go deep."

Dan: [Chuckling] Yeah.

Alex: Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Adrienne found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Dan had $4,200, Ivan had $3,200, and Adrienne was at $1,000. Adrienne made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

ISLANDS IN THE "C"s $800: These islands, Grand & Little, are named for the alligators reported to be native there

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORDS WITH(IN) FRIENDS $600: Prevalent or widespread, like crime in certain areas

ISLANDS IN THE "C"s $400: An old song says, "26 miles across the sea" this island "is a-waitin' for me"
(Alex: "What is Santa [*] is a-waitin' for me"?)

PERFUME $600: Elizabeth Arden makes perfume called this colorful door

PERFUME $1000: Jasmin Noir is made by this company that uses a "V" instead of a "U" in its name
(Adrienne: What is Gucci?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dan: $5,600
Ivan: $4,800
Adrienne: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, May 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ARACHNIDS (5/5)
PAINTERS & PAINTINGS (5/5)
PSYCHOLOGY (5/5)
1990--25 YEARS AGO (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PERFORMERS' AUTOBIOGRAPHIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"G"REA"T" WORDS (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response will begin with a "G" and end with a "T".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ivan: 10 R, 0 W
Dan: 11 R, 2 W
Adrienne: 8 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Adrienne snagged the next Daily Double on the 17th clue. Dan had $12,000, Ivan had $11,200, and Adrienne was at $5,000. Adrienne wagered $3,500.

1990--25 YEARS AGO $800: This city, capital of the same-named country, was overrun by Iraqi forces
(Alex: Are you feeling better, Adrienne?)
(Adrienne: [Laughing] A little.)
(Alex: All right, keep it going.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Adrienne who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Dan had $16,400, Ivan had $15,200, and Adrienne was at $12,500. Adrienne wagered $3,200.

PERFORMERS' AUTOBIOGRAPHIES $2000: "This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection"
(2010)
(Alex: She's so glad you had this time together. Yes, indeed.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"G"REA"T" WORDS $800: This cord made from animal intestines is used as strings for musical instruments
(Dan: What is catgut?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dan: $20,000
Adrienne: $15,700
Ivan: $15,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN LITERATURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Dan: Wager $11,401 to cover Adrienne.
Adrienne: You ought to wager to cover Ivan, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $15,700. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $14,700 (to shut out Ivan) or less than $7,100 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Ivan). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Dan.
Ivan: Consider risking between $501 and $6,600. This will top a $0 wager by Adrienne while still beating Dan on the Triple Stumper (should Dan wager to cover Adrienne's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Published a year later, "Good Wives" was a follow-up to this 1868 novel

FINAL SCORES
Ivan: $15,200 - $15,200 = $0 (What is The House of Seven Gables) (3rd place)
Adrienne: $15,700 + $14,701 = $30,401 (What is Little Women?) (2nd place)
Dan: $20,000 + $19,999 = $39,999 (What is Little Women?) (45600-day champion: $39,999)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dan: $20,000, 20 R, 2 W
Ivan: $15,200, 20 R, 0 W
Adrienne: $11,600, 15 R (including 3 DDs), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $46,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Dan: 21/58 = .362
Ivan: 20/58 = .345
Adrienne: 16/61 = .262
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BASEBALL STADIUMS $200: In 2009 New Yorkers watched this major league park demolished; Yankee Stadium lasted another year
(Alex: Correct. Home of the Mets.)

WORDS WITH(IN) FRIENDS $800: To tear apart
(Adrienne: [Stammers, sighs])
(Alex: Oh, it's not coming, unfortunately.)

WORDS WITH(IN) FRIENDS $1000: A wetland
(Alex: And that takes you to the plus side. Now you can breathe again, Adrienne. I know you sound and look a little bit nervous, so we'll give you a moment or two to regain your composure while we pause for these messages.)

ISLANDS IN THE "C"s $1000: The flag of these islands has a lot in common with the flag of New Zealand
(Alex: Good. You're at $3,000.)

SUPERHERO DAY JOBS? $400: The new tower on the building named for this legendary publisher leaves many windows for Spidey to wash

PERFUME $200: $76 can get you a bottle of Ralph from this designer
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

PERFORMERS' AUTOBIOGRAPHIES $800: "Dancing with Myself"
(2014)

"G"REA"T" WORDS $1600: To "run" this was to endure an old military punishment as two lines of your comrades pummeled you

PAINTERS & PAINTINGS $1200: In this Spaniard's "Portrait of the Duchess of Alba", the subject of the painting points to the artist's name at her feet
(Dan: Who is Velázquez?)

PAINTERS & PAINTINGS $1600: Jacques-Louis David painted "The Oath of the Horatii" in this style, a reaction against Rococo

PSYCHOLOGY $1600: From the Sanskrit for "circle", in Jungian psychology, it's a symbol for the effort to unify the self

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Cayman Islands
rife
Catalina
Red Door
Bulgari
Kuwait
Carol Burnett
gut
Little Women
Shea Stadium
rend
fen
the Cook Islands
(William Randolph) Hearst
Ralph Lauren
Billy Idol
the gauntlet
Goya
Neoclassicism
a mandala
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

American Literature
Published a year later, "Good Wives" was a follow-up to this 1868 novel.

Spoiler
What is Little Women? Ivan said The House of Seven Gables.

Dan Feitel: $20,000+$19,999=$39,999...now a 3-day champion with $85,598
Adrienne Onofri: $15,700+$14,701=$30,401
Ivan Tan: $15,200-$15,200=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu May 28, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Cheese can have a rind?!?

I thought the Santa Catalina TOM was way too obscure.

NHO "courier" or Benihana.

0/6 on the $200 boxes, oddly. I knew On the Road, Crete, and Ralph Lauren, but was blanking on them.

Arachnid in the Southwest? Gotta be a scorpion, right? Wrong.

All but "Grommet" (NHOI) in "G"rea"t".

Toulouse-Latrec was undervalued in Painters IMO, and Lyme disease was way OVERvalued.

Well, I see nowhere to go with… oh wait. Wives -> women -> Little Women? Where did that come from, brain, and why can't you do that more often?
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

Vermonter may make medical history. He might be the first person to ever suffer two separate brain aneurisms in three days.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought the Santa Catalina TOM was way too obscure.
Agreed
Toulouse-Latrec was undervalued in Painters IMO
Nope. Moulin Rouge is synonymous.
Well, I see nowhere to go with… oh wait. Wives -> women -> Little Women? Where did that come from, brain, and why can't you do that more often?
More than I got. I never got past, "Ummmmm ..."
Golf

Post by Golf »

So Adrienne finds all three DD's, answers all three correctly, and is not in the lead going into FJ? Awesome. $30k+ worth of wagering ignorance right there.

As far as FJ wagering goes, don't need wagering vikings for that. Wagering pygmies will do fine.
brick

Post by brick »

I'm just starting scoring. 21400 isn't bad, right? (I possibly could be stricter with myself, but I tried to be straight about it.
Last edited by brick on Thu May 28, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

In Dan's defense, they don't teach math in law school.

But since his mom has been in the audience each day, maybe at some point she can explain how a couple extra thousand may not justify the risk of not being around the following day in the event there is a FJ triple stumper?
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

What a great game! It's rare that all three players have at least $15,200 going into FJ. Dan boldly bet all but a dollar in FJ; fortunately for him it worked out. Congratulations, Dan, on another win. I had 38 correct responses including three triple stumpers: rife, Red Door, and gut. Instaget FJ.
Last edited by Abraxas on Thu May 28, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brick

Post by brick »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought the Santa Catalina TOM was way too obscure.
Agreed

"
Perspective I guess. I read "26 miles" and was singing the song by the time Alex finished reading. Was that 400 or 600?

Totally tanked FJ. My friend said and I groaned.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

brick wrote:
Perspective I guess. I read "26 miles" and was singing the song by the time Alex finished reading. Was that 400 or 600?

Totally tanked FJ. My friend said and I groaned.
Game show producer Bruce Belland (Name that TUne 70s, Cross-Wits)was a member of the Four Preps, who had a hit off that song in the 50s.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

I was worried about Adrienne for a while; she came very close to going into the first commercial break without saying a word. She was clearly psyched out at the beginning, and that showed again at the start of Double Jeopardy as she was consistently beaten on the signaling device. It's a shame, because she proved to be a more than capable player once she got going. If she didn't get off to such slow starts in the two rounds, she'd be playing again tomorrow.

Ivan's face reminds me of Gilbert Gottfried's, only it obviously looks like that all the time.

One of these days, Dan's wagering is going to bite him in the keister. I thought he came to his senses yesterday, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Again, "Literature" is not a category one can anticipate what clue is coming before the reveal.

My cable went out yesterday in the middle of the episode, so I couldn't keep score like I had done so far this week. Today was ridiculous: $40,800 Coryat score, thanks to all my immediate blurt-outs being correct. FJ was a skeptical instaget: "Little Women" came to me right away, then I spent all thirty seconds trying to talk myself out of it.
Last edited by 9021amyers on Thu May 28, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

9021amyers wrote:I was worried about Adrienne for a while; she came very close to going into the first commercial break. She was clearly psyched out at the beginning, and that showed again at the start of Double Jeopardy as she was consistently beaten on the signaling device. It's a shame, because she proved to be a more than capable player once she got going. If she didn't get off to such slow starts in the two rounds, she'd be playing again tomorrow.
Indeed, this is a testament to the CCs, you just know they gave her a pep talk and lots of encouragement in the first break, and look what a difference that made! I started rooting for her after that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

On the show, I might have put down "Little Women" to have put anything at all, but I knew that it had been followed up by "Little Men" and "Jo's Boys" - and I'd never heard of "Good Wives" - which led me to discount it.

After looking at Wikipedia, apparently "Little Women" is published nowadays together with "Good Wives" as a single volume. That makes the question REALLY misleading, IMO.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

OK, I thought the islands needed to start with 'C', so I didn't guess Santa Catalina. Judges?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

teapot37 wrote:After looking at Wikipedia, apparently "Little Women" is published nowadays together with "Good Wives" as a single volume. That makes the question REALLY misleading, IMO.
I don't know about that. First, Wikipedia tends to contain totally made up 'facts'. And second, how it's published nowadays wouldn't have any bearing on the validity of the clue.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

UniquePerspective wrote:Vermonter may make medical history. He might be the first person to ever suffer two separate brain aneurisms in three days.
I haven't done all of the calcs, but just off the top of my head, Ivan's wager looked much more foolish than Dan's. Dan has to wager at least $11,401 to secure the win with a correct answer. If I were in his position, I would've assumed that one of the other contestants (presumably Ivan) is going to wager low to be able to win on a triple miss, so if Dan misses, he's not going to win anyway, might as well go for broke. Who would've guessed that Ivan would wager everything?
Sheepin' it real.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote: I haven't done all of the calcs, but just off the top of my head, Ivan's wager looked much more foolish than Dan's. Dan has to wager at least $11,401 to secure the win with a correct answer. If I were in his position, I would've assumed that one of the other contestants (presumably Ivan) is going to wager low to be able to win on a triple miss, so if Dan misses, he's not going to win anyway, might as well go for broke.
This is what I was going to say about Dan's wager. Unlike his first game, he is in a situation that he is most likely going to lose (on a miss) if he makes the 'correct' wager and either one of the other two uses counter strategy. In this case, neither one of them considered his minimum safe bet.
Adrienne decided to cover Ivan at all costs. Not unreasonable IMO, since it gives her enough to beat Dan if he misses.
Ivan would have been better off just betting $501 or $4802, depending on how much he liked the category. (4802 in case Adrienne tried for 20,001).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

bpmod wrote:
teapot37 wrote:After looking at Wikipedia, apparently "Little Women" is published nowadays together with "Good Wives" as a single volume. That makes the question REALLY misleading, IMO.
I don't know about that. First, Wikipedia tends to contain totally made up 'facts'. And second, how it's published nowadays wouldn't have any bearing on the validity of the clue.

Brian
Like how it says that Peter Griffin is currently President of the United States, or that Jeopardy! is taped at the Motel 6 in Oshkosh. Because there are no "good" editors on Wikipedia, no sir. It's just rampant vandalism and blatant misinformation through and through.