Monday, June 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Re: Monday, June 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BADuBois »

grindcore wrote:Canadian cities: Holy shit! I must admit I was fooled by Victoria though. You can't drive to the island, how can the highway make it there???
My thought exactly! Which is why I picked Vancouver.

Still, the lack of knowledge of the cities of our northern neighbor. O, Canada! Sorry about that.

Dan the champ seems to be entering ToC land.

I liked Sergeant Randy... if you noticed, he had the unit insignia for the 82nd Airborne Division, plus on top of his ribbons, he had a CIB --- Combat Infantryman Badge, meaning he's been in some serious *bleep*

On FJ, I had no clue, yet another reason why I've not tried out for Sports Jeopardy.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

9021amyers wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:The Canadians are going to have a field day. Christ. OK, you blanked on Banff, it happens, but, Edmonton, Ontario!? Winnipeg, Saskatchewan??? Not even a guess at Victoria? Actually, did ANYONE get any of those questions right, or was it a full TS category? (My only miss was seeing "Olympic City" and almost reflexively blurting out Calgary. Oops.)

Instaget FJ. I was shocked that they would ask about that in a FJ, but as I've said before, I'm not very good at gauging how well-known sports trivia is to non-sports fans.
I was apoplectic over no one buzzing in for the $400 clue in Canadian cities, but it makes a little more sense after the challenger's blank in FJ. The question was a layup (from the three that have hosted the Olympics, Vancouver was after 1992, and Calgary was in the winter), but if sports isn't her strong suit and an $800 swing on the clue will lock her out, then it's best to stay clam.
Probably easier to remember that Montreal was the only Summer Games in Canada. Vancouver was also a winter games.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

legendneverdies wrote:
Khaleesi1287 wrote:My friends are apopleptic over the four-letter science clue that asked for something measured in Joules. The show's answer was "work" but would "mass" have been accepted due to the principle of mass-energy equivalence?
From very basic physics equation, I think the Force times Distance thing wouldn't be satisfied with Mass.
Agreed. The "m" in E = mc^2 is really a change in mass. I have a master's in physics so I was really upset nobody got the answer. Does anyone take physics in high school anymore?
So many things to say about this episode. "Canadian Cities" was a disaster on the scale of the Halifax explosion of 1917. Edmonton, Ontario?! I'll admit I'd NHO Stratford, Ontario so I never would've made the Avon connection, so I would've lost a lot of money on that DD. People should know their Canadian provincial capitals and national parks.
I had $30,600 (38 R/ 2W). FJ was a real YEKIOYD that belonged in Sports J! I went with the backboard.
Hoping for a third lap
Roland
Contributor

Post by Roland »

This guys wagering is driving me absolutely bonkers. I don't think I can watch anymore while he's on.

It's going to be so satisfying watching him get destroyed in the ToC.

And stop saying please every damn time and leaving clues on the board. SPEED UP!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I thought for sure the betting police would be out tonight. The challenger essentially waived the white flag by not betting (at least she had an excuse as sports was a weak category), but the champion's bet would've handed her the win if he was wrong.
FWIW, answered "shot clock" in FJ, as I didn't think it went to 24 seconds right away, but it did.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

HostWithTheMost wrote: As a basketball fool, this was a great clue to gauge how vested you are in following basketball,
I knew it was the shot clock, but since I haven't followed the NBA since the Magic Johnson/Larry bird rivalry died out I couldn't remember how many seconds it was. I suppose I would have been safe to just answer "shot clock" though.

Notice to future opponants of Dan: If you are in a two person FJ and he doesn't have a lock; bet everything but $2.
Dan is basically conceding the win to his opponants in the event he gets it wrong.
Something tells me Dan was very confident in Sports, and knew Victoria would likely miss. I bet he wasn't expecting her to wager zero though. I really wish she would have bet all but a buck and Dan would have got the answer wrong. After having to face-off with a tie-breaker, Dan might be cured of that betting strategey.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

HostWithTheMost wrote:What's said has been said on Canadian Cities (I got 3/5), but knowing very little about Shakespeare, that DD question was impossible. (I guessed Ottawa). Kudos to Randy for essentially betting the max and going for first.
What did it have to do with Shakespeare? The Avon flows through Stratford, the Thames through London.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I knew about the shot clock since I read about it recently but I went with overtime. Hard to watch that guy melt down in Canada. I didn't know the first response (doh!) but I knew the rest. I like how Dan is raising his rate of return even if it seems foolish to some. I couldn't believe that Victoria didn't get the Andrew Jackson clue (100 Duels) but then she knew the other DD about Every Man A King which impressed me greatly do good for her.
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

I will admit I only went 2/5 on the Canada category. No idea on the Victoria question. I said London instead of Stratford. I wan't thinking about the Shakespeare festival there. Calgary instead of Montreal. After the show, I did recall hearing about the things the clues described. Too little, too late.

In FJ, the 24 second shot clock was the only thing that came to mind.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

His wagering strategy (or lack thereof) is one thing. Alex repeatedly telling his opponents the details of that strategy, I find really odd. Like bordering on S&P infractions odd.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

HostWithTheMost wrote:Regarding FJ, boo on anyone who thought 3-point shot, since that was an ABA innovation.
Actually, no. The American Basketball League, a little-known competitor to the NBA that lasted only one season (1961-62), was the first league to use a 3-point line.

I can forgive non-basketball fans for having no clue on this one, but the invention of the shot clock was easily the most important event in the history of basketball. It immediately transformed the game from a tedious affair filled with stalling and intentional fouling to the fast-paced game we know today.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

A Wray wrote:
HostWithTheMost wrote: I can forgive non-basketball fans for having no clue on this one, but the invention of the shot clock was easily the most important event in the history of basketball. It immediately transformed the game from a tedious affair filled with stalling and intentional fouling to the fast-paced game we know today.

Tell that to DeAndre Jordan!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

bpmod wrote:His wagering strategy (or lack thereof) is one thing. Alex repeatedly telling his opponents the details of that strategy, I find really odd. Like bordering on S&P infractions odd.

Brian
Yes, I wanted to say something about that but didn't quite know how to put it.
Maybe it's bugging Alex to the point that he can't restrain himself. (even though Dan had only commited the act twice at the start of tonight's game)
Last edited by Category 13 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:
HostWithTheMost wrote:What's said has been said on Canadian Cities (I got 3/5), but knowing very little about Shakespeare, that DD question was impossible. (I guessed Ottawa). Kudos to Randy for essentially betting the max and going for first.
What did it have to do with Shakespeare? The Avon flows through Stratford, the Thames through London.
But in Canada it's the Thames River that flows through London and Stratford isn't "upon" Avon.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy... didn't Dan miss FJ?!??!??!?? I might break my TV if this happens again.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

jeff6286 wrote:
A Wray wrote:
HostWithTheMost wrote: I can forgive non-basketball fans for having no clue on this one, but the invention of the shot clock was easily the most important event in the history of basketball. It immediately transformed the game from a tedious affair filled with stalling and intentional fouling to the fast-paced game we know today.

Tell that to DeAndre Jordan!
Yeah, I thought about that while writing that sentence, but even that Rockets-Clippers series (which was an abomination, but also a total anomaly) saw less intentional fouling than was typical in the pre-shot-clock era.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Can anyone help me parse the clue enough to tell me what information it was providing about Syracuse and the Lakers that would get you to a shot clock? Other than an innovation and 1954, I'm not seeing what anything in the clue would help the average person solve this one. Went with the 3-point line myself, thinking maybe there was an earlier implementation of it than when it became standard.
HostWithTheMost
Valued Contributor

Post by HostWithTheMost »

mungar wrote:
ACW wrote:Judges: Would "shot clock" be okay without the 24-second?
Yes, definitely.
Seconded. It was the first shot clock of its kind and has remained constant at 24 seconds ever since. Because it's clear we're talking about an NBA innovation, "24 seconds" borders on redundant.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

alietr wrote:Can anyone help me parse the clue enough to tell me what information it was providing about Syracuse and the Lakers that would get you to a shot clock? Other than an innovation and 1954, I'm not seeing what anything in the clue would help the average person solve this one.
Just having a current NBA team name and the name of a university was enough to have me going down a time waisting mental path. Obviously (apparently) there was a Syracuse NBA team back then, but that just added a whole lot of confusion to the clue IMO.
HostWithTheMost
Valued Contributor

Post by HostWithTheMost »

A Wray wrote:
HostWithTheMost wrote:Regarding FJ, boo on anyone who thought 3-point shot, since that was an ABA innovation.
Actually, no. The American Basketball League, a little-known competitor to the NBA that lasted only one season (1961-62), was the first league to use a 3-point line.

I can forgive non-basketball fans for having no clue on this one, but the invention of the shot clock was easily the most important event in the history of basketball. It immediately transformed the game from a tedious affair filled with stalling and intentional fouling to the fast-paced game we know today.
I will cede you're technically correct, but as far as the NBA is concerned, I would still say the 3-point shot was an ABA innovation. It had four teams swallowed up by the NBA, had the first dunk contest and lots of today's in-game promotions have their roots in the ABA. But the three-point shot is what made the ABA a threat to the NBA. I can't say the same for a league that lasted all of one season.