Monday, June 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Monday, June 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:
Silverfox wrote:Note to self...Study about Canada soon.
Better yet, visit. Soon.

Brian
Especially Banff. One of the most stunning places on Earth (well, the Park, more than the City ;) ).
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Better yet, visit. Soon.

Brian
Especially Banff. One of the most stunning places on Earth (well, the Park, more than the City ;) ).
You really think Banff is more stunning than, let's see... Edmonton, Ontario? Or Winnipeg, Saskatchewan?

In all seriousness, though, I have yet to see it myself.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
ArtVark

Post by ArtVark »

jeff6286 wrote:
A Wray wrote:
HostWithTheMost wrote: I can forgive non-basketball fans for having no clue on this one, but the invention of the shot clock was easily the most important event in the history of basketball. It immediately transformed the game from a tedious affair filled with stalling and intentional fouling to the fast-paced game we know today.

Tell that to DeAndre Jordan!
Here's a Sports Illustrated article from 1967 about pre-shot clock college basketball games where teams stalled.

http://www.si.com/vault/1967/03/13/5455 ... o-sleep-by
Roland
Contributor

Post by Roland »

Onairb wrote:
Roland wrote:This guys wagering is driving me absolutely bonkers. I don't think I can watch anymore while he's on.

It's going to be so satisfying watching him get destroyed in the ToC.

And stop saying please every damn time and leaving clues on the board. SPEED UP!
Saying 'please' doesn't slow the game down, triple stumpers do..and one guy guessing wrong when the other two are stumped (Hi again, Canada!) makes it even worse.
Fair point, but he has left clues up on every single game. So I had to pick something to complain about.
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

rouquinne wrote:
floridagator wrote:I have a feeling our Canadian board members are experiencing aneurysms right now. The players blew all five of the Canadian cities clues.
Not an aneurysm, but I was kind of in shock that they were unable to deduce "Moose Jaw" from that waaaayyyyyy too obvious clue!

:lol:
I know. It used to be one of the few places in Canada that Americans had ever heard of. And seven-eighths of the right response was right there in the word "Moose Javian".

I hope that if the US ever thinks of invading Canada again, Sgt Pike will lead the way. There'll be a lot of pissed off Mexicans.
DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

opusthepenguin wrote:
patkav wrote:That Canadian cities category was just painful. Moose Jaw is my second-favorite Canadian place name, behind Medicine Hat.
I also like Pile of Bones. But I guess they changed that a while back to something no one could possibly make fun of.
Worst decision they ever made. I would love to be able to say I was born and raised in Pile O' Bones.
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

bpmod wrote:
Better yet, visit. Soon.

Brian
Party at Brian's place!

:D
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

ArtVark wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
A Wray wrote:
HostWithTheMost wrote: I can forgive non-basketball fans for having no clue on this one, but the invention of the shot clock was easily the most important event in the history of basketball. It immediately transformed the game from a tedious affair filled with stalling and intentional fouling to the fast-paced game we know today.

Tell that to DeAndre Jordan!
Here's a Sports Illustrated article from 1967 about pre-shot clock college basketball games where teams stalled.

http://www.si.com/vault/1967/03/13/5455 ... o-sleep-by
I played HS hoops In the mid 80's. I played in a game that was 7-5 at the end of the 3rd quarter. They stalled and our coach screamed at us if we pressured out on defense. We won 16-9.
I played hoops for years and coached it a lot longer, and I came up with nothing for FJ. I put down goaltending knowing it was wrong.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

patkav wrote:
bpmod wrote: I remember him doing it after FJ. It wouldn't have benefited Victoria then, but it certainly would have helped any future contestant sitting in the audience. That, at least, had been fresh in my mind when I made my first post on the subject.

Brian
Ahhh. I retract my gentle teasing. My (probably flawed) memory was that he said it before the game, which was shocking to me. I'll have to rewatch tonight.
Just to wrap this up, I'll say I'm not sure what show I watched last night. Yeesh. It was indeed after FJ that Alex yapped about Dan's m.o.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought the bit in the article about fans spending "up to $3.50" for a ticket to see the best team in college basketball was funny.

Alex did comment about his wagering at the beginning of a show last week, not sure which day it was.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

legendneverdies wrote:
Khaleesi1287 wrote:My friends are apopleptic over the four-letter science clue that asked for something measured in Joules. The show's answer was "work" but would "mass" have been accepted due to the principle of mass-energy equivalence?
From very basic physics equation, I think the Force times Distance thing wouldn't be satisfied with Mass.
Clue specifically gave units as 'joules' which requires response of 'work' by definition and clue context of "4-letter words." A 6-letter word, 'Energy' would be acceptable, without length restrictions, by definition as it is equivalent to work = force exerted over distance = energy expended. I see you are suggesting that because E = mc^2, m = E/c*c but this is not equivalent to work! Mass units are Kg. Sorry!

Interestingly, my college physics prof once explained that holding a weight indefinitely against a force like gravity, because there's no motion over distance, produces no work and thus takes no energy, so you shouldn't get tired after standing around all day holding up equipment in the lab! ;)

Good game for goats with 48R, LT:Irish wolfhound, morphology, work, Banff (again a TS?!), Montreal Velodrome; Moosejavians >Moosejaw!

I gave 3-point shot for this sports FJ, later discovered it was introduced in 1961, so a bit off but I thought at least a decent guess, eh?! :roll:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
brick

Post by brick »

Bamaman wrote:I thought the bit in the article about fans spending "up to $3.50" for a ticket to see the best team in college basketball was funny.

Alex did comment about his wagering at the beginning of a show last week, not sure which day it was.
$3.50 to see "Big Lew" a future Jeopardy contestant, in the prime of his youth.

Ps point of reference, minimum wage was $1.
Last edited by brick on Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

http://www.geist.com/angstmapofcanada

Has some more great Canadian town names. The whole atlas is great for map nerds.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

brick wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I thought the bit in the article about fans spending "up to $3.50" for a ticket to see the best team in college basketball was funny.

And he missed a clue about a movie mentioned in this episode. It all ties together.
brick

Post by brick »

Bamaman wrote:
brick wrote:

And he missed a clue about a movie mentioned in this episode. It all ties together.
May the circle, be unbroken....
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $34,800
44 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: duels (DD), Irish Wolfhound, investor, salt (DD), Edward Kennedy, Stratford (DD), Banff, Montreal, Moose Jaw

Took the wife out for fondue last night, so I'm just getting to this episode now. I'm curious to go back and see what about this episode caused seven pages worth of posts. Was it Dan's continued reckless disregard for wagering strategy? The players' complete ignorance of Canadian geography? A lively discussion about the NCAA's plans to reduce the shot clock to 30 seconds? Responding to TPH's questioning how anyone could possibly know Ted Kennedy's middle name? Inquiring minds want to know.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Responding to TPH's questioning how anyone could possibly know Ted Kennedy's middle name? Inquiring minds want to know.
Fitzgerald should be Pavlov for JFK's middle name. Spotted the other F for RFK. That leaves E"T"MK.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

DHicton wrote:
rouquinne wrote:
floridagator wrote:I have a feeling our Canadian board members are experiencing aneurysms right now. The players blew all five of the Canadian cities clues.
Not an aneurysm, but I was kind of in shock that they were unable to deduce "Moose Jaw" from that waaaayyyyyy too obvious clue!

:lol:
I know. It used to be one of the few places in Canada that Americans had ever heard of. And seven-eighths of the right response was right there in the word "Moose Javian".

I hope that if the US ever thinks of invading Canada again, Sgt Pike will lead the way. There'll be a lot of pissed off Mexicans.

I'm not Canadian, but I love Canada and I like geography, so I would have chosen that category first. And prevented many aneurysms.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DHicton wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
patkav wrote:That Canadian cities category was just painful. Moose Jaw is my second-favorite Canadian place name, behind Medicine Hat.
I also like Pile of Bones. But I guess they changed that a while back to something no one could possibly make fun of.
Worst decision they ever made. I would love to be able to say I was born and raised in Pile O' Bones.
Yeah, but whose going to write a limerick about that? There was a young lass from Pile O' Bones.... Just doesn't work.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote:
DHicton wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Yeah, but whose going to write a limerick about that? There was a young lass from Pile O' Bones.... Just doesn't work.
A young lass came from Pile O' Bones,
All she told responded in groans,
Until she met me,
A fellow zombie,
And now we speak only in moans.

...it's a work in progress.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)