Monday, June 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Monday, June 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod »

whatisbishkek wrote:Does anyone know whether Victoria would have seen Dan's previous games? I couldn't believe her $0 bet when it was revealed, but if she knew Dan's wagering history and she didn't like the FJ category, the $0 bet actually made a lot of sense.
bpmod wrote:Or maybe Alex told these contestants Dan's strategy at some point that the viewing audience didn't get to see/hear.
patkav wrote:She may have seen previous games, but she didn't need to, because Alex spelled out Dan's wagering "strategies" in the pre-game chat.
Aahhh, I didn't remember that.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

bleezy wrote:Why not go with Misty Mountains, ...?
I woulda guessed Zeppelinland.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

bpmod wrote:
patkav wrote:She may have seen previous games, but she didn't need to, because Alex spelled out Dan's wagering "strategies" in the pre-game chat.

Brian
I'm not sure which one of us is losing our minds, but you actually commented on this phenomenon on page 2 of this thread. :) I went and looked at it to confirm my own memory of Alex's blabbing.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy... didn't Dan miss FJ?!??!??!?? I might break my TV if this happens again.

...... I think he's being rewarded for stupidity. And I just want the catharsis of seeing his hubris run smack into some peripeteia that slaps a little anagnorisis into his head. Know what I mean? It would be so ... schadenfreudelicious.
Victoria left herself with a reasonable sum to be introduced with as a one-day champ. So it's best that Dan did not miss on that question.
If we are hoping for Dan to have a spectacular fall by his own reckless wagering, someone needs to win with less than $100.
opusthepenguin wrote: The thing is, I'm not sure he knows. I'm not sure if we're watching crazy but calculated risk taking or dumb luck.
Wouldn't it be amazing if he just didn't know; then continued winning long enough to find this forum in between taping sessions and 'discover' the advantages of optimal wagering strategy?
Then he would return to the studio enlightened and ready to go on a Jennings-type run.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

patkav wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
I'm not sure which one of us is losing our minds, but you actually commented on this phenomenon on page 2 of this thread. :) I went and looked at it to confirm my own memory of Alex's blabbing.
I remember him doing it after FJ. It wouldn't have benefited Victoria then, but it certainly would have helped any future contestant sitting in the audience. That, at least, had been fresh in my mind when I made my first post on the subject.

Brian

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Category 13 wrote:Victoria left herself with a reasonable sum to be introduced with as a one-day champ. So it's best that Dan did not miss on that question.
If we are hoping for Dan to have a spectacular fall by his own reckless wagering, someone needs to win with $2.
Yes.

Brian

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

bpmod wrote: I remember him doing it after FJ. It wouldn't have benefited Victoria then, but it certainly would have helped any future contestant sitting in the audience. That, at least, had been fresh in my mind when I made my first post on the subject.

Brian
Ahhh. I retract my gentle teasing. My (probably flawed) memory was that he said it before the game, which was shocking to me. I'll have to rewatch tonight.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bleezy wrote:I got the Middle Earth question, but it seemed extremely difficult for the value. I wouldn't expect anyone other than a hardcore Tolkien fan to know about the Bay of Belfalas (the easiest of the three). Why not go with Misty Mountains, Umbar, Gondor, Mirkwood, etc?
Yeah, it was. Despite the fact that I've read The Hobbit and the trilogy nearly half-a-dozen times (and slogged through The Silmarillion once), I still missed it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote: The thing is, I'm not sure he knows. I'm not sure if we're watching crazy but calculated risk taking or dumb luck.
Wouldn't it be amazing if he just didn't know; then continued winning long enough to find this forum in between taping sessions and 'discover' the advantages of optimal wagering strategy?
Then he would return to the studio enlightened and ready to go on a Jennings-type run.
In that case, let's not tell him. Hey, Dan! Welcome to the board! Love the strategy. Go big or go home! Other contestants are so timid. :twisted:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:
bleezy wrote:I got the Middle Earth question, but it seemed extremely difficult for the value. I wouldn't expect anyone other than a hardcore Tolkien fan to know about the Bay of Belfalas (the easiest of the three). Why not go with Misty Mountains, Umbar, Gondor, Mirkwood, etc?
Yeah, it was. Despite the fact that I've read The Hobbit and the trilogy nearly half-a-dozen times (and slogged through The Silmarillion once), I still missed it.
Same here. Except the part about the Silmarillion. I did slog through the first third of it maybe half-a-dozen times. Never got to the end. Twenty years ago I would've shouted out the correct response before Alex was done reading.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote:
econgator wrote:
Same here. Except the part about the Silmarillion. I did slog through the first third of it maybe half-a-dozen times. Never got to the end. Twenty years ago I would've shouted out the correct response before Alex was done reading.
It did seem hard for the value. I actually like the Silmarillion. :oops:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

brick wrote:It did seem hard for the value. I actually like the Silmarillion. :oops:
So do I. I just can't read it.
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote:
brick wrote:It did seem hard for the value. I actually like the Silmarillion. :oops:
That makes me laugh. Did you read all the appendices at the end of Return of the King?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

brick wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
That makes me laugh. Did you read all the appendices at the end of Return of the King?
If I did, it was just the once, and mostly so I could say that I had done so. That possibility is rendered all the more pathetic by my inability to recall.
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote:
brick wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
If I did, it was just the once, and mostly so I could say that I had done so. That possibility is rendered all the more pathetic by my inability to recall.
Some of the content mirrors the Silmarillion. And some of it covers where Gandalf went all the times he vanishes without explanation during the various stories. Peter Jackson mined the heck out of those appendices!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

brick wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Of course. How else would one write using Dwarf Runes without consulting the appendix? :)
brick

Post by brick »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
brick wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Of course. How else would one write using Dwarf Runes without consulting the appendix? :)
That was EXACTLY where I was going with that question! :lol: This place really is a geek haven, isn't it?
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

I know very little about Canada. But I still managed to go 4 out of 5 in that category.
And
I know very little about basketball. But I still managed to get the FJ.

Note to self...Study about Canada soon.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Silverfox wrote:Note to self...Study about Canada soon.
Better yet, visit. Soon.

Brian

Onairb

Post by Onairb »

opusthepenguin wrote:
brick wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Apparently, all Tolkien/'Middle Earth' works are enchanted with a spell that prevents readers from recalling what they actually read...and also from acknowledging the 'elephant in the room'...that the books are highly overrated.