Nation's Brightest

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Re: Nation's Brightest

Post by goatman »

If its based on Britain's Brightestthen it is a test of reflexes, calculating speed and intuition and has nothing to do with knowledge. Enjoy and good luck! :idea:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote:
alietr wrote:I'm doing Millionaire on Wednesday morning, so I might have to put this one off a bit until I get my frowny email.
I don't want to dash any hopes, but I was there Thursday and got the happy email on Friday; one-day turnaround seems to be the new normal as learned from the Familiar Face on Millionaire thread.

Did you get passed through to the on-camera interview? If not, it will be a frowny.

My October 2013 happy email did come about six weeks after my audition, so there is still hope.

Either way, I would go for this if you want to in the meantime, the worst that happens is you are put into two pools, and when you get the call from one, make your decision to accept or decline while holding out hope for the other call to come.
Just passed the WWTBAM test. Cooling my heels until the noon callback.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

alietr wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
alietr wrote:I'm doing Millionaire on Wednesday morning, so I might have to put this one off a bit until I get my frowny email.
I don't want to dash any hopes, but I was there Thursday and got the happy email on Friday; one-day turnaround seems to be the new normal as learned from the Familiar Face on Millionaire thread.

Did you get passed through to the on-camera interview? If not, it will be a frowny.

My October 2013 happy email did come about six weeks after my audition, so there is still hope.

Either way, I would go for this if you want to in the meantime, the worst that happens is you are put into two pools, and when you get the call from one, make your decision to accept or decline while holding out hope for the other call to come.
Go get 'em!
Sprinkles are for winners.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

How long a paragraph did those of you who got tryouts write for the Bio and "Why am I one of the nation's brightest?" sections?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

Go knock it out of the park!!!!!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

slam wrote:How long a paragraph did those of you who got tryouts write for the Bio and "Why am I one of the nation's brightest?" sections?
It said "brief" so I kept it to a couple of sentences. I got a call, so I guess that was OK. Still playing phone tag with them.

ETA: Just finished Skype interview, have a f/u tomorrow. Pretty basic puzzle type stuff - math problems, detecting patterns, etc. Nothing too mindblowing.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Did my second Skype interview last night. Think I did well... as others have mentioned, this game is heavily weighed towards brain puzzles and the such.

Keeping fingers and toes crossed!
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I hope the show goes better than 500 Questions.

Good luck to everyone who interviewed.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Bamaman wrote:I hope the show goes better than 500 Questions.

Good luck to everyone who interviewed.
If Nation's Brightest goes as well for me as 500 Questions did for Lampy, I'll be plenty happy. :D
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

MDaunt wrote:Looks pretty daytimey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO7b0OY55Uk
Having watched the full first episode of the British version, I'd be shocked if it weren't a prime-time deal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlcSm1FO7DE

It looks interesting enough, although there is a significant "luck of the draw" element in terms of what kind of preliminary game you get.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

billiej wrote:
slam wrote:How long a paragraph did those of you who got tryouts write for the Bio and "Why am I one of the nation's brightest?" sections?
It said "brief" so I kept it to a couple of sentences. I got a call, so I guess that was OK. Still playing phone tag with them.

ETA: Just finished Skype interview, have a f/u tomorrow. Pretty basic puzzle type stuff - math problems, detecting patterns, etc. Nothing too mindblowing.
I kept it brief with a 50 word bio and a 40 word reason. I sent an email this morning. Got a call earlier this afternoon for the initial phone interview. Have the Skype interview this evening. Thrown out in the trash by tomorrow. :( Well, hopefully not.

Edited to Add: I took the test and at the end of it (before it was even scored) was invited to talk to the producers which I'll be doing on Monday. I suppose my invitation could be rescinded if I bombed (which I didn't).
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

A bit of Google Fu leads me to believe this is being pitched to NBC.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

On to the third round!
seanl81
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by seanl81 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:On to the third round!
Do you have anything definitive setup already, or waiting for the next step like the rest of us?
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

How are you counting rounds? Is the first round the initial phone interview; second round the test; third round a producer interview?

Or are you counting some other way?
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

slam wrote:
How are you counting rounds? Is the first round the initial phone interview; second round the test; third round a producer interview?

Or are you counting some other way?
I didn't count the initial phone call as a "round." I'm just talking about Skype interviews. First round: test with contestant coordinator; second round: producer interview; third round: 30-question test.
seanl81 wrote:Do you have anything definitive setup already, or waiting for the next step like the rest of us?
The producer invited me to do the 30-question test at the end of my interview with her. I'm scheduled for Monday evening.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

During my initial Skype interview I was told that the producer would probably be asking me some more test questions (as opposed to personality questions) during the 2nd Skype interview. I'm not sure if that means a 30-question test or just a few random questions.
BigDaddyMatty

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

slam wrote:During my initial Skype interview I was told that the producer would probably be asking me some more test questions (as opposed to personality questions) during the 2nd Skype interview. I'm not sure if that means a 30-question test or just a few random questions.
The producer interview will be mostly personality stuff, but you may be asked to do a few more puzzles. (I did a couple of puzzles like the ones from the first interview, and then a couple of brainteasers involving manipulation of household objects.) The 30-question test is the next round following that.
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
slam wrote:During my initial Skype interview I was told that the producer would probably be asking me some more test questions (as opposed to personality questions) during the 2nd Skype interview. I'm not sure if that means a 30-question test or just a few random questions.
The producer interview will be mostly personality stuff, but you may be asked to do a few more puzzles. (I did a couple of puzzles like the ones from the first interview, and then a couple of brainteasers involving manipulation of household objects.) The 30-question test is the next round following that.
I'm scheduled for "round 3" next week as well. :D