Monday, June 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

VAdame
Contributor

Re: Monday, June 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by VAdame »

I've only ever heard her referred to as Margaret Court. No idea about the Smith part.

And hey, what's Andorra then, chopped liver? (Iberian Peninsula clue)

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

VAdame wrote:I've only ever heard her referred to as Margaret Court. No idea about the Smith part.

SMith is Margaret Court's married name. The Iberian Peninsula clue is a teen or celeb or even kids' week clue some would argue.

Elijah Baley

Re: Order in the Court!

Post by Elijah Baley »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
Ryno wrote:I believe that Chris put Margaret Court's maiden and married surnames in the wrong order. Court should come before Smith. Oh well, no neg.
He did transpose them, and he should have been docked. As unacceptable as saying Jacqueline Onassis Kennedy or Oliver Holmes Wendell. Apparently the judges weren't paying attention.
It's pretty easy to look up and see that Chris got it correct; Smith is her maiden name. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Court

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Elijah Baley wrote:
Ryno wrote:I believe that Chris put Margaret Court's maiden and married surnames in the wrong order. Court should come before Smith. Oh well, no neg.
He did transpose them, and he should have been docked. As unacceptable as saying Jacqueline Onassis Kennedy or Oliver Holmes Wendell. Apparently the judges weren't paying attention.
It's pretty easy to look up and see that Chris got it correct; Smith is her maiden name. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Court
If only I had mentioned that earlier in the thread. Oh wait, I DID!

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

VAdame wrote:I've only ever heard her referred to as Margaret Court. No idea about the Smith part.

Hmm yeah how about that... instaget in game, but in retrospectometer there's three countries in Iberian Peninsula, as well as part of France and Gibraltar! Stupid clues... who WRITES these? LOL :geek:

Iberia; note 'la Mancha' in yellow, center! Aragon, Catalan, Valencia (oranges) and Andalusia have all been clues at one time or another; note the Tagus River Basin at Lisbon, longest river of Iberia flows thru Toledo (!); Ebro in Aragon & Catalan, 2nd longest river of Iberia, and the Douro River, it forms part of the border between Northern Portugal and western Spain, and is the third longest river of Iberia (can't imagine asking more than the 3 longest, I would know Tagus, Ebro and Douro(!):

Tagus River basin:

Ebro River Basin:

Douro River Basin:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

opusthepenguin wrote:Category: ONLY THE LONELY
Clue: IN THE 500s B.C. THE JEWS WERE IN THE BABYLONIAN THIS TYPE OF EXPULSION FROM ONE'S OWN LAND

Sally rings in and guesses "captivity". No.

Craig rings in and guesses "exodus". No.

Chris rings in and guesses "exile". Yes.

Then, before FJ, they adjust the scores to credit Craig with a correct response. Fine. It's not a great response, but I guess "exodus" could be used to refer to an expulsion from one's own land. I'm cool with that. But how the HECK do they not reverse themselves on Sally's response of "captivity" as well? I know a captivity isn't really an expulsion, but neither is an exodus. Furthermore, the Babylonian exile is referred to REPEATEDLY as a "captivity" in the Bible. It is NOT referred to as an exodus. The only exodus you get is when the Israelites leave somewhere that ISN'T their own land to return to the home God promised them. THE VERY HOME IN WHICH THEY WERE CENTURIES LATER PUT UNDER CAPTIVITY AND EXILED TO BABYLON. WEARING THE VERY PANTS THEY WERE GOING TO RETURN.

Sorry. I got off track. Where was I? Oh yeah. When Sally was negged for "captivity," I was sure that ruling would be reversed. When Alex announced the reversal for Craig's response, I was even more sure. Craig's response was marginally acceptable at best. If he gets credit, a fortiori, Sally gets credit for her straight up correct (even if not quite as good a fit as "exile") response.

I was flabbergasted when Craig got credit and Sally didn't. Am I missing something obvious here? The category wasn't "EX" WORDS or anything like that. Good thing this didn't affect the outcome.
Was this the wording of the clue?

*sighs and slowly shakes head*

Terrible clue. Poorly constructed and incorrectly judged.

If you want the players to say "exile," there are dozens of good ways to get there. This is not one of them.

And regardless of whether or not "captivity" implies expulsion, the clue is asking for the "Babylonian this." "Captivity" is the correct response, "exile" is arguable but probably good enough, "exodus" is "a tomato is a suspension bridge" wrong.

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

econgator wrote:
Elijah Baley wrote:
If only I had mentioned that earlier in the thread. Oh wait, I DID!
Yes, but at least two folks didn't see you pointing this out - and were kind of snarky in their unsupported hubris - yes, I said it - so it seemed appropriate to re-emphasize the point.

CheezeWhiz

Post by CheezeWhiz »

I can't say I necessarily disagree with everyone here regarding the ruling on exodus, but since I was the one it ruled in favour of, I still think they made the right choice :)
-CheezeWhiz - The Wizard of Cheeze

nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

Instaget on FJ due to my horribly obnoxious 10th grade Spanish teacher's obsession with everything DQ. We honestly must have watched Man of La Mancha like 8 times that year. It is the soundtrack to my nightmares.

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Nice job yesterday, CheezeWhiz!

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Good run at it, CheezeWhiz!

And it was you, not Chris, that got Margaret Smith Court right.

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Craig, I was rooting for you! You did well up there.

I insta-got the "dulce" part of FJ!...and from there, I was stuck. I eventually said "dulcimer," hoping there was some famous character named Dulcimer. :P Yeah, I've heard of Don Quixote, certainly, but not really of Dulcinea. Filing that away for future reference...

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OrangeSAM wrote:The clue read:
In the 500s B.C. the Jews were in the Babylonian this type of expulsion from one's land.
The reason "captivity" was not accepted was because it's possible to be exiled without being held in captivity.
Also, being in captivity doesn't necessarily mean you've been expelled from your land.
Could we redact your first point to read "it's possible to be held in captivity without being expelled"? Otherwise I'm not seeing how it works as an explanation.

What's your thought on the "exodus" response? It seems as though both your points apply equally to it, yeah?

alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

i also answered "diaspora," which is the term used to describe the scattering and, uh, dispersal of the jewish people away from the holy land after the babylonian exile and deportations.
"exodus," apparently from the greek for "going out," describes the voluntary emigration of moses and the israelites from egypt. the clue specifically used the term "expulsion," which doesn't sound very voluntary.

OrangeSAM

Post by OrangeSAM »

opusthepenguin wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:The clue read:
In the 500s B.C. the Jews were in the Babylonian this type of expulsion from one's land.
The reason "captivity" was not accepted was because it's possible to be exiled without being held in captivity.
Also, being in captivity doesn't necessarily mean you've been expelled from your land.
Could we redact your first point to read "it's possible to be held in captivity without being expelled"? Otherwise I'm not seeing how it works as an explanation.

What's your thought on the "exodus" response? It seems as though both your points apply equally to it, yeah?
"(I)t's possible to be held in captivity without being expelled" is a rewording of my second point, so we have some agreement.

"Exodus" was too big a stretch for me to take. For one thing, an exodus may be done voluntarily while exiles are enforced.
OCSam

brick

Post by brick »

Ugh... Final J, I got really stuck and then a little voice said 'la dolce vita' is 'the sweet life' and I stumbled sideways to..... Evita! lmao

Coryat $16,800. I was looking better for a while but made a couple of appalling guesses at high values.

CheezeWhiz

Post by CheezeWhiz »

barandall800 wrote:Craig, I was rooting for you! You did well up there.

I insta-got the "dulce" part of FJ!...and from there, I was stuck. I eventually said "dulcimer," hoping there was some famous character named Dulcimer. :P Yeah, I've heard of Don Quixote, certainly, but not really of Dulcinea. Filing that away for future reference...
Thanks. Not the best board for me, but not knowing FJ held me back anyways. I got to the dulce part pretty quickly as well (though they don't teach Spanish in Canada, so not quite as fast as the others), but had no chance of getting Dulcinea.
-CheezeWhiz - The Wizard of Cheeze

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

No chance on FJ, sadly. I don't know much Spanish and I never heard that name.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

DadofTwins wrote:Was this the wording of the clue?

*sighs and slowly shakes head*

Terrible clue. Poorly constructed and incorrectly judged.

If you want the players to say "exile," there are dozens of good ways to get there. This is not one of them.

And regardless of whether or not "captivity" implies expulsion, the clue is asking for the "Babylonian this." "Captivity" is the correct response, "exile" is arguable but probably good enough, "exodus" is "a tomato is a suspension bridge" wrong.
The phrase "Babylonian exile" is more familiar to me than "Babylonian captivity."

willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
willwoodlen wrote:
Woppy T wrote:Exodus is not correct. The judges are on crack. I also think they shouldn't have accepted delinquent.

I have mixed feelings about the exodus/exile ruling, but I agree with you on the acceptance of "delinquent." It doesn't incorporate the idea of loneliness.
This is irrelevant. As noted above, unless the category specifically prescribes criteria for correct responses, any response that matches the clue should be accepted.

Saying the category is irrelevant is a pretty dangerous guideline. But more to your point, the word "delinquent" does not match the clue. It satisfies the "payment" part, but not the first part that says "someone abandoned by society." That's not what "delinquent" means.