Monday, June 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

PurpleAddison

Re: Monday, June 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by PurpleAddison »

Coming off my loss on Friday, this was a tough game to finally watch for me, and indeed looking at this board I think I could have done pretty good if I'd made it here - but, so it goes! Another solid performance by Chris, but Craig seemed like really solid competition (nice job, CheezWhiz!), and Sally's late-game surge could have easily landed a surprise win had Chris fumbled on FJ. Me, I totally froze up thinking of variants on "sucre" which of course is not "sweet."

My worst category here was "Celebrity Fill-Ins," which just requires a little too much mental ransacking in too short a time - good idea on paper but not so fun to watch unless you luck into the right combo quickly. I put together a couple of 'em, but this kind of category always shakes the rhythm of the game for me somehow; even if they're not triple-stumpers they're likely to prompt a few awkward pauses.

I agree that "Babylonian Captivity" is a weird gray area - doesn't really fit the generic meaning the clue is alluding to, but this course of events just is "the Babylonian Captivity," so it's weird to have a clue lead there but want a different wording for it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:The phrase "Babylonian exile" is more familiar to me than "Babylonian captivity."
Interesting. To me, the phrase "Babylonian captivity" just sounds right and "Babylonian exile" has a weird ring to it--like when a non-native speaker talks to you in English and the phrasing isn't wrong exactly, just not the way most people would say it.

HOWEVER, if you refer to that period of Israel's history as "The Captivity," that sounds a little weird too. It's "The Exile". Get it straight. May just be my quirk. Or it may reflect a broader quirk of some segment in the world of Biblical scholarship.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

opusthepenguin wrote:
seaborgium wrote:The phrase "Babylonian exile" is more familiar to me than "Babylonian captivity."
Interesting. To me, the phrase "Babylonian captivity" just sounds right and "Babylonian exile" has a weird ring to it--like when a non-native speaker talks to you in English and the phrasing isn't wrong exactly, just not the way most people would say it.

HOWEVER, if you refer to that period of Israel's history as "The Captivity," that sounds a little weird too. It's "The Exile". Get it straight. May just be my quirk. Or it may reflect a broader quirk of some segment in the world of Biblical scholarship.
Having seven years of study in the Hebrew Scriptures, the phrase "Babylonian Captivity" is used much more often in scholarly works to refer to the period from 587 BCE to 539 BCE. The writer of Isaiah 40-55 views the return to Judah as a second exodus. And in the Middle Ages the phrase "Babylonian Captivity of the Church" referred to the period when the papacy was located in Avignon, France.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."