Consider helping a boardie live the dream!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Consider helping a boardie live the dream!

Post by Winchell Factor »

One of our own--ardent Jeopardy! fan, devoted boardie, and repository of so much J-related information, dhkendall--has a GoFundMe to help pay his costs to and from Kansas City for his upcoming Jeopardy! audition: http://www.gofundme.com/xbxyaw.

David has taken all kinds of measures to reduce his costs on this trip, but it's still going to cost hundreds to get to and from KC. I hope many of us will take a look at the site and consider pitching in to help out a good guy, who's contributed so much to our little group.

Knock 'em dead, David!

(ETA: it takes a few days for money to be transferred into his account, and he leaves in a few days, so time is of the essence.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Consider helping a boardie live the dream!

Post by dhkendall »

Andy, where the hell is that like love "oh wow, I literally am speechless, this means a whole lot to me and it's so encouraging to have friends like these to be there for me, you guys are absolutely incredible" button? Because we really need one now.

(BTW, for those who are concerned about GoFundMe taking a bit off each donation in fees, you can also use PayPal to send money to my email address (my jboard username @live.ca) as it is fee-less (or seems to be from my experience).

This is really something, thank you, and I mean that wholeheartedly.

Now if you excuse me, something seems to have flown into my eye suddenly ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

I am delighted, but not surprised in the least, to see that many of us have pitched in (either publicly or anonymously) to help David get to KC.

David, be sure to tell 'em we all said hi.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:(BTW, for those who are concerned about GoFundMe taking a bit off each donation in fees, ...
I didn't know that, but it would be a bit of a concern.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

Live the dream! Good luck!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Winchell Factor wrote:I am delighted, but not surprised in the least, to see that many of us have pitched in (either publicly or anonymously) to help David get to KC.

David, be sure to tell 'em we all said hi.
Hey, just because I can't get on doesn't mean I won't help someone else to do so. Excelsior! :)
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

^^^^yeah, what *he* said! :)
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Do the investors get a cut of the winnings? :mrgreen:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Carpe Diem wrote:Do the investors get a cut of the winnings? :mrgreen:
Just the audition, Carpe, just the audition. No monies will be won no matter how much I kill at the audition. :) (Although, if their backs are turned, I may steal a whole bunch of Jeopardy! pens to send to my backers. But you didn't hear that from me. ;) )

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I never used gofundme before, I don't know anyone who has, so I have to ask here:

I put in for x number of dollars

My credit card charge was y number of dollars (less than what I put in, hoping you get the full amount although I know there's fees)

I was also hit with a "foreign transaction fee"

I just want to know if anyone else had any of these things happen with any gofundme activity? My concerns are 1) I want you to get the full amount; and 2) possible fraud activity on my card.

and of course: GET ON THE SHOW!
Total game show career losings = $171,522
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

triviawayne wrote:I never used gofundme before, I don't know anyone who has, so I have to ask here:

My credit card charge was y number of dollars (less than what I put in, hoping you get the full amount although I know there's fees)

I just want to know if anyone else had any of these things happen with any gofundme activity? My concerns are 1) I want you to get the full amount; and 2) possible fraud activity on my card.

Are you in Canada?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

brick wrote:
triviawayne wrote:I never used gofundme before, I don't know anyone who has, so I have to ask here:

Are you in Canada?
DHK is.

I would assume that Wayne's credit card company did the conversion and then added the foreign transaction fee. I also assume that the amount he donated (x dollars) will go into DHK's pot in Canadian funds minus the fee that gofundme takes.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
brick

Post by brick »

bpmod wrote:
brick wrote:

Are you in Canada?
DHK is.

I would assume that Wayne's credit card company did the conversion and then added the foreign transaction fee. I also assume that the amount he donated (x dollars) will go into DHK's pot in Canadian funds minus the fee that gofundme takes.

Brian
That makes sense. I was sniffing around the right answer, I just had the wrong people across the border.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

This makes sense, I didn't realize that him being in Canada would come into play, and more than that, forgot he was there at all.

Thank you, I feel better about my card.

This is part of why I try and live my day to day expenses completely on one credit card, then if there's any problems, it's not cash taken from me.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Surely you meant to say that y was greater than x, right? How could your card have charged you for less than you chose to contribute? Right?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

It was less due to the exchange rate
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

For what it's worth, the fact that GFM does take out a percentage and the fact that most of the donations have been in US$ haven't really hurt me that much. The jboard community has been so generous (but then I should have expected as much given the "Boardie of the Month" thing we got going) that the donated amounts have greatly exceeded what I estimated I would need. I might spring for a few extra things that I might have let slide before (like souvenirs, or a complete look over of the car to ensure safe travels) due to that but the fact that I"m over my target amount means I still have the money I require and then some.

And a lot of it has made its way to my bank account already as well, alleviating that worry.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

The biggest problem David K. and Andy will have might well be that they know more about the show than the average auditioner. Maggie and Co. will probably respect that, but we'll see what happens.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

legendneverdies wrote:The biggest problem David K. and Andy will have might well be that they know more about the show than the average auditioner. Maggie and Co. will probably respect that, but we'll see what happens.
There have been many other long-time boardies (Robert KS immediately comes to mind) that has the same problem and got on.

Knowing about Jeopardy!, even about Jeopardy! trivia (which I will admit I am not one of the ones I'd say I know a lot "about the show", I defer to you on the minutae of the show) doesn't necessarily mean a successful audition. It's about being telegenic and doing what you're told, basically.

The biggest barrier to success on the show seems to be buzzer timing,l which is something all the knowledge of J! in the world won't get you (how many boardies have we seen be one-and-done due to the cruel mistress that is the buzzer?) Second biggest barrier is coming against a buzzsaw, again all the knowledge of J! won't help you there.

So, in summary, I don't think either Andy or myself, or any other long-term boardie that's still an ATB will have that much of an advantage.

DHicton
ToC, Class of '07

Post by DHicton »

Everything's up to date in Kansas City. You'll go about as fer as you can go.

Seriously, David, it shouldn't cost you anything to set up a US dollar account at your bank.