FJs for the 6/15/15 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 6/15/15 week?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:57 pm

He rhymed the title character of one of his best-known poems with "drew on", "threw on" & "ruin"
32%
"A reviewer... wrote that my pictures didn't have any beginning or any end. He didn't mean it as a a compliment, but it was"
53%
In her 30s, this Texan was up for Best Actress in 2002 & 2003; she won Best Supporting in 2004 in a Civil War drama
51%
Published for the first time in 2014, her "Pioneer Girl" was initially rejected, revised & transformed into a fictional series
73%
Everything changed in 1924 after he observed, "I have found a Cepheid variable in the Andromeda Nebula"
57%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
9%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
2%
A LITTLE DAD'LL DO YA $800: A Florence, Alabama music festival honors this "Father of the Blues" who was born here in 1873
34%
TOO MUCH INFORMATION $200: This painting was reframed in 1951, has a small crack in the upper center & is aka "La Gioconda"
86%
BEASTLY LIT $1000: With "Jaws" he took quite a bite out of his readers' sense of water safety [Check it even if you only had the last name]
73%
I missed the Monday FJ! clue going the wrong way on a three-sided coin toss with Keats, Byron and Shelley.
9%
I missed the Tuesday FJ! clue by guessing Dali.
8%
I have seen the movie "Cold Mountain" and/or read the book.
22%
I have never seen or read "Cold Mountain", yet I was still correct on the Wednesday FJ! clue.
33%
I missed the Thursday FJ! clue by guessing Willa Cather.
11%
J! was preempted or shown at a later time at least once this week on my local station.
18%

Total votes: 129

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 6/15/15 week

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dali is not a bad response since some of his landscapes do seem to go on forever, but it seemed clear to me that the clue was referring to nonrepresentational work that had a random quality. I have a history of blanking on Pollock's name so I was happy that didn't happen Tuesday...
Wed. was tough since I didn't remember the movie - the only Civil War picture I could think of was Glory. The only Oscar-winning actress from the South that came to me was Holly Hunter (turns out she's from Georgia) then I thought of Viola Davis (South Carolina) but I knew she wasn't right though she has nominations for Best Actress and Supporting...I don't think Cold Mountain or Zellweger would ever have come...Except for her makeover she's dropped off the radar...
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

Monday, I knew it was Don Juan but kept thinking of Wordsworth, Coleridge, and Tennyson, even though I knew they were wrong. None of the shorter-named poets came to mind.

Tuesday, I was preoccupied and missed the FJ category, so when the clue was read, I interpreted "pictures" as a reference to films (possibly because of the word "reviewer" too). By the time the category was legible on the screen again a few seconds later, someone had already blurted out the answer.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dinghammer wrote:By the time the category was legible on the screen again a few seconds later, someone had already blurted out the answer.
I keep trying to tell you folks: Duct tape is not very expensive.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

3/5 this week, and the three I did get were instagets
Total game show career losings = $171,522
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

How rare is it for the contestants to do much better in a week than boardies?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

cf1140 wrote:How rare is it for the contestants to do much better in a week than boardies?
I would guess it's either equal or they tend to do better than us as not every boardie can pass the test.

I'm thinking closer to equal because we aren't under the lights like they are and we don't all write our answers down.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

cf1140 wrote:How rare is it for the contestants to do much better in a week than boardies?
I knew that this had been an excellent week of shows, but yeah, wow! This week's contestants really did do very well on their FJs.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :oops: :mrgreen:
I was 171/295 on the board (BA .580) with an average Coryat of $25,160, somewhat down from last week.
Hoping for a third lap
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :(
Bad week. Flatfooted on Monday--no guess. Lucky guess on a weak category for me on Tuesday to avoid getting skunked for the week. Did not read or see Cold Mountain. Guessed Suzanne Collins on Thursday, Percival Lowell on Friday.

I "know" Peter Benchley wrote Jaws, for some value of "know" which involves having the piece of information somewhere I couldn't retrieve it but think I would have more than half of the time.

31353313[41ToC]2[5K]05352233[41T]245344334415[4CJ]33131, 119 - 81
gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by gobobbygo »

:cry: :cry: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

WAG Keats, Escher. Last minute switch from Cather to Wilder.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was lost without a map on Monday's clue. On Friday, Hubble crossed my mind, but then I convinced myself he was from the wrong century and guessed Einstein. Tuesday and Wednesday were instagets, Thursday was a lucky guess.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

4/5; Zellweger cost me the pentafecta. Have read Cold Mtn AND seen the movie but no joy, failure to associate. Inexcusable cognitive defect.
Lamely responded "Sandra Bullock?" knowing it was incorrect. bah. "My brain hurts; it's got to come out!" :oops:

Pollack, L.I. Wilder were instagets; Byron was a lucky guess, as I posted on the day. Better to be lucky than good, eh?! :P

Hubble's discovery of Cepheid variables not only showed that these powerful "lighthouse nebulae" were far outside the Milky Way Galaxy (from the Greek for Milk, Gala); but because they had more or less uniform power output, so as 'cosmic light bulbs' the distance to each could be measured fairly accurately based on its apparent brightness, AND the relative motion of most Cepheids observed proved that the Universe was expanding! Andromeda is the exception; at over twice the size of our galaxy, it's on a collision course with the Milky Way, scheduled to merge in about 3.8 billion years! It's unlikely that anyone on Earth will notice the formation of Milkomeda (or the Andromedy Way?), as the Sun will be a red giant, and our home a toasted cinderblock. :idea:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

I'm on an ugly streak...

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I only got Wednesday correct. I guessed Dali on the Tuesday one, and I got the featured Jaws question quite quickly (both first and last name).
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Breakdown of board scores on FJs for the 6/15/15 week

Post by OrangeSAM »

After 123 respondents:

:mrgreen: 11 got all 5 FJ!s
;) 26 got 4 FJ!s
:) 29 got 3 FJ!s
:( 29 got 2 FJ!s
:oops: 27 got 1 FJ!
:eek: 1 got 0 FJ!s

Average: 2.69 FJ!s correct.

My responses went: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: / :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Clueless Tuesday. Just put down Van Gogh to not leave a blank.

I have seen the movie, but not read the book.
OCSam
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Knew Peter Benchley

Knew Don Quixote, but not his girlfriend
Said Beethtoven's ninth

For the season: 118-82
TOC: 5-5