FJs for the 6/15/15 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 6/15/15 week?

Poll ended at Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:57 pm

He rhymed the title character of one of his best-known poems with "drew on", "threw on" & "ruin"
32%
"A reviewer... wrote that my pictures didn't have any beginning or any end. He didn't mean it as a a compliment, but it was"
53%
In her 30s, this Texan was up for Best Actress in 2002 & 2003; she won Best Supporting in 2004 in a Civil War drama
51%
Published for the first time in 2014, her "Pioneer Girl" was initially rejected, revised & transformed into a fictional series
73%
Everything changed in 1924 after he observed, "I have found a Cepheid variable in the Andromeda Nebula"
57%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
9%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
2%
A LITTLE DAD'LL DO YA $800: A Florence, Alabama music festival honors this "Father of the Blues" who was born here in 1873
34%
TOO MUCH INFORMATION $200: This painting was reframed in 1951, has a small crack in the upper center & is aka "La Gioconda"
86%
BEASTLY LIT $1000: With "Jaws" he took quite a bite out of his readers' sense of water safety [Check it even if you only had the last name]
73%
I missed the Monday FJ! clue going the wrong way on a three-sided coin toss with Keats, Byron and Shelley.
9%
I missed the Tuesday FJ! clue by guessing Dali.
8%
I have seen the movie "Cold Mountain" and/or read the book.
22%
I have never seen or read "Cold Mountain", yet I was still correct on the Wednesday FJ! clue.
33%
I missed the Thursday FJ! clue by guessing Willa Cather.
11%
J! was preempted or shown at a later time at least once this week on my local station.
18%

Total votes: 129

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 6/15/15 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

6/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY POETRY

6/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He rhymed the title character of one of his best-known poems with "drew on", "threw on" & "ruin"

6/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
QUOTABLE PAINTERS

6/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"A reviewer... wrote that my pictures didn't have any beginning or any end. He didn't mean it as a a compliment, but it was"

6/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE OSCARS

6/17 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In her 30s, this Texan was up for Best Actress in 2002 & 2003; she won Best Supporting in 2004 in a Civil War drama

6/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN AUTHORS

6/18 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Published for the first time in 2014, her "Pioneer Girl" was initially rejected, revised & transformed into a fictional series

6/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY SCIENTISTS

6/19 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Everything changed in 1924 after he observed, "I have found a Cepheid variable in the Andromeda Nebula"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Lord Byron
Jackson Pollock
Renee Zellweger
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Edwin Hubble
The players were 13/15 (86.67%) with a 3-2-3-2-3 success pattern.

The extra clues have three triple stumpers.

A LITTLE DAD'LL DO YA $800: A Florence, Alabama music festival honors this "Father of the Blues" who was born here in 1873

TOO MUCH INFORMATION $200: This painting was reframed in 1951, has a small crack in the upper center & is aka "La Gioconda"

BEASTLY LIT $1000: With "Jaws" he took quite a bite out of his readers' sense of water safety

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
W.C. Handy
Mona Lisa
Peter Benchley
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 6/15/15 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Never read or saw Cold Mountain
Willa Cather
Einstein
Preempted Tuesday for NBA
jgamer
Valued Contributor

Post by jgamer »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mon: I guessed Shelley.
Tue: I got Jackson Pollock after thinking a bit.
Wed: I had no guess.
Thu: Laura Ingalls Wilder was instant.
Fri: Hubble was instant.
I had 166 clues right and 8 clues wrong for the week.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

I had never even heard of Cold Mountain. No guesses on the missed ones. Knew both first and last name of Peter Benchley.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FJs have been killing me lately.

Monday: I had no idea, but the wordplay aspect of the clue made me guess Lewis Carroll.

Tuesday: I guessed Picasso, thinking of his different "Periods." This was a really dumb clue.

Wednesday: No chance.

Thursday: I locked in on Cather and didn't consider anyone else. The "fictional series" part went over me head.

Friday: I wasn't confident, but Hubble made the most sense.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mon - Kipling ("Din" rhymes with ruin!...I still wasn't happy with the guess tho)

Oh, and these:
Have not seen Cold Mountain
Preempted Tuesday due to sportsball.
Last edited by Volante on Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

No guess Monday. Was trying to find a more straightforward rhyme than a mispronounced Juan.

Blanked on Zellweger, might have gotten it with more time. I have read Cold Mountain but have not seen the movie.

No guess Friday. Was spoiled on the answer, which was printed on the Clue of the Day part of the J! Website, but did not know it and probably wouldn't have guessed it.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(

Doubly no clue Monday; couldn't get from the rhymes provided to Don Juan (which I've only ever heard pronounced as a single syllable), and if I could I wasn't going to get from there to Byron. Said Longfellow to have something.
A coding error on the Clue of the Day revealed Friday's response along with the clue; I have no idea if I would have guessed Hubble or not, so I'm not counting it either way.

Could not come up with Benchley's name.

I have seen Cold Mountain; I was pretty sure I had the clue at hello "Texan," the rest just confirmed it.

No preemptions, but Thursday my local station ran ads instead of the first two minutes, cutting in during the eighth clue. All my network stations around here suck.
Last edited by Plactus on Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

I only got one FJ right this week, the one about Laura Ingalls Wilder on Thursday. It helps that I read the series of Little House books (and watched the TV show back in the 70's-80's)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Byron was an insta-get... as soon as Alex gave the post-clue hint. :(
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mon: no guess
Tues: Mondrian
Wed: Keats

Never read nor saw Cold Mountain.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
guessed Dali on Tuesday.
never read or saw Cold Mountain
J! was preempted the last two days for golf.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"Don Juan" is Byron, "Ode on a Grecian Urn" is Keats, "Ozymandias" is Shelley. Those are the only poems of those three I believe I can avoid attributing to one of the other two, and Alex Trebek has repeatedly told us how "Don Juan" is (mis)pronounced in that poem.
A painting with no beginning and no end sounds like a non-representative work to me, and Pollock delighted in eschewing representation.
Zellweger was my luckiest get this week; Cold Mountain sounded right as a 2004 Civil War drama, and I felt decent about my guess that she'd been in it. If I had thought of Nicole Kidman first, I'd have ruled her out for not being Texan, and perhaps gotten stuck at that point.
A series of books about a pioneer girl was a simple get.
I considered Clyde Tombaugh, but he wasn't looking at other galaxies. Looking up Hubble's discovery, I realized that I had no idea what the quotation in the clue meant, but an astronomical discovery in the 1920s that changed everything sounded like Hubble to me.

W.C. Handy is something I got wrong once on LearnedLeague. It's not happening again.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote:I considered Clyde Tombaugh, but he wasn't looking at other galaxies. Looking up Hubble's discovery, I realized that I had no idea what the quotation in the clue meant, but an astronomical discovery in the 1920s that changed everything sounded like Hubble to me.
It basically ended up proving that Andromeda was a galaxy all its own and that, therefore, the Milky Way did not represent the entirety of the known universe.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
seaborgium wrote:I considered Clyde Tombaugh, but he wasn't looking at other galaxies. Looking up Hubble's discovery, I realized that I had no idea what the quotation in the clue meant, but an astronomical discovery in the 1920s that changed everything sounded like Hubble to me.
It basically ended up proving that Andromeda was a galaxy all its own and that, therefore, the Milky Way did not represent the entirety of the known universe.
Which, geebus, the acceptance of -multiple galaxies- isn't even a century old. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Deb ... tronomy%29 )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I tried to read Cold Mountain. About 1/3 of the way in, I skipped to the end to see it was going to be worth the effort and decided it wouldn't be.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote:
Yeah. I read it as pertaining to red shift (which I suppose it ultimately does).
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

Not exactly my proudest week, but I'll gladly take this over my 0/5 performance last week.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :oops:

This J! fan's boast a week ago that he had gone at least 3/5 on FJ! for 25 of 26 weeks exhibited a characteristic that rhymes with "do this", "new briss" & "true diss"
Sprinkles are for winners.