Thursday, June 25, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Thursday, June 25, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by harrumph »

whatisbishkek wrote:Did anyone else think the clue for "vegan" was confusing and poorly written? It seemed to be trying to hint at the distinction between veganism and vegetarianism, but referred to avoiding animal products not just in food but in other aspects of life as well, when the commonly understood difference between vegans and vegetarians is that vegetarians don't eat meat but can eat things like dairy and eggs whereas vegans don't eat any animal products.
Yes it was oddly worded and I'm a vegan.
HostWithTheMost
Valued Contributor

Post by HostWithTheMost »

There's no excuse for someone from Houston to not know about inversion. It's only tag-teaming with Los Angeles for the smoggiest city in the U.S. Take away a few WAGs and Desta is flirting with the $10,000 mark heading into Final Jeopardy.

Immediately got Cyndi Lauper, then quickly thought Madonna might be it. Eventually, was pretty certain she didn't win BNA and I thought I remembered something about Lauper and Broadway.

Agreed with the sentiment that this week's games have been lackluster and insipid. That said, we were kinda spoiled the previous 2-3 months.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

DHicton wrote:After the Bryn Mawr clue a few days ago, and the lynx one today, I have a feeling the writers haven't heard of "and sometimes Y".
That one didn't bug me because the clue specifically mentioned Pat Sajak and buying a vowel.
worldwidewebster
Valued Contributor

Post by worldwidewebster »

whatisbishkek wrote:Did anyone else think the clue for "vegan" was confusing and poorly written? It seemed to be trying to hint at the distinction between veganism and vegetarianism, but referred to avoiding animal products not just in food but in other aspects of life as well, when the commonly understood difference between vegans and vegetarians is that vegetarians don't eat meat but can eat things like dairy and eggs whereas vegans don't eat any animal products.
It was a bit confusing, especially since many vegetarians don't use leather, etc, even if they aren't fully vegan. I think the key is that "vegetarian" is a term that's hundreds of years old, whereas "vegan" is much newer, and they wanted a recent word.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Not only did I fail to get FJ, I also failed to add "and why is she so unusual?" when the correct answer was revealed.

I did it for the $200 Broadway clue in this game, but apparently I never bothered to remember what that clue was actually about.

I said Toni Basil as time ran out, though I was pretty sure she hadn't won a Grammy. I knew she was still around, but I remembered a few seconds too late that she's a choreographer. Lauper never came to mind, which is almost impressive, considering Time After Time is one of my favorite songs.

Another 'blacklist' here.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

StevenH wrote:I wonder if there was some kind of significance to the "Celebrities Making Money after Death" category coming up on this particular date.

This game was underwhelming, but I thought that it was a pretty tough board.

Count me as another who threw out Madonna as a desperation guess for FJ.
6/25 was the sixth anniversary of MIchael Jackson's(and Farrah Fawcett's) bucket kickings
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bamaman wrote:Another Madonna here.
Madge was my first choice also, when Alex was reading the first half of the clue (I wasn't looking at the screen), but as soon as the Tony award came up, I said "oh -- Kinky Boots!" and went with Lauper.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

dinghammer wrote: I did it for the $200 Broadway clue in this game, but apparently I never bothered to remember what that clue was actually about.
That clue at least had the decency to add a "girls […] just wanna have fun" TOM and her picture! But yeah, it didn't stick here either although now I remember a distant memory of her being connected to Broadway somehow.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Alex's failure to make use of his Tarzan impression, coupled with his comment of "Weird" at the end of reading the categories, makes me think he didn't get the writers' HYMN BOOK/HER MOVIE pun in the category titles.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Robert K S wrote:The exact same neg ("7 Habits of Highly Successful People"?) in a recent Daytime Jeopardy! rerun from almost exactly one year ago.

And Kinky Boots showed up in the Daytime J! aired today.
I was going to say that. But I am late to the party today.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Note to self ( and every potential contestant )...STOP GUESSING WHEN YOU DO NOT KNOW THE ANSWER!!
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Silverfox wrote:Note to self ( and every potential contestant )...STOP GUESSING WHEN YOU DO NOT KNOW THE ANSWER!!
I cannot sign on to that. Perhaps 'stop blindly guessing'?

To pull a question at random: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3861 , Notable Names $400:
Brownell was the middle name of this sufferin' suffragette

I imagine that'd score very high on a weekly poll, but only a small percentage of those of us who get that right would get it from actually -knowing- that certain someone's middle name is Brownell. Everyone else is guessing. It's a very educated guess, a high probability guess, but a guess nonetheless.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The game thread for that episode featured a lively discussion about a certain boardie's guessing on FJ.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Considering all the admonishment we've seen over the years regarding mispronunciation of names, why is "Schultz" as the creator of Peanuts always accepted over his real name "Schulz"?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote:Considering all the admonishment we've seen over the years regarding mispronunciation of names, why is "Schultz" as the creator of Peanuts always accepted over his real name "Schulz"?
I've never heard him pronounce his name, so I couldn't tell you which is the incorrect one.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote:
triviawayne wrote:Considering all the admonishment we've seen over the years regarding mispronunciation of names, why is "Schultz" as the creator of Peanuts always accepted over his real name "Schulz"?
I've never heard him pronounce his name, so I couldn't tell you which is the incorrect one.
The one without the T
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote:
econgator wrote:
The one without the T
Based on?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
econgator wrote:
The one without the T
Based on?
The fact that there's no T in his name.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

How did the creator of Peanuts pronounce his last name? Did you ever hear him say it?
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote:How did the creator of Peanuts pronounce his last name? Did you ever hear him say it?
I never heard Leonardo Da Vinci pronounce his last name either, and I'm pretty sure it's not pronounced Da Vintsee, and I'd expect Jeopardy wouldn't accept that.