Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6217, 2011-10-04

Joon Pahk game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Megan Johnson, an attorney originally from Toledo, Ohio
Elaine Ricci, a tutor and substitute teacher from Houston, Texas
Joon Pahk, a college physics teacher from Somerville, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $28,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert, and welcome, ladies and gentlemen. In recent years I have often been asked, "Do you ever--do you think you'll ever have another Ken Jennings, uh, on Jeopardy!?" Well, I've got to tell you, based on the quality of the players we have seen so far this season, that is a distinct possibility. Yesterday we said good-bye to a 2-day champion who left us with $84,000. Joon picked up close to $30,000 in his win. It can happen. You need to be positive and you need to play well. So, Elaine and Megan, you know what you have to do. Here we go--Jeopardy! Round. And the categories to start us off today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
METALS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE STAN LEE CUP (5/5)
THEY OUGHT TO MAKE A MOVIE (5/5)
DOUBLE "D" (5/5)
A STICKY SITUATION (4/5)
PAN AM IN THE '60s (4/5) (Karine Vanasse: On the new series Pan Am we portray the greatest era of a great airline--Pan Am in the '60s.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joon: 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Elaine: 10 R, 0 W
Megan: 2 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joon found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Joon had $1,800, Elaine had $200, and Megan had nothing in the bank. Joon made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,800.

METALS $1000: This metal used to make semiconductors was discovered by Clemens Winkler & named for his homeland

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joon: $5,000
Elaine: $2,600
Megan: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Megan Johnson is an attorney, originally from Ohio, who started a cheesecake-of-the-month club.

Megan: Yes, um, for my sister and some of my friends, I started baking cheesecakes, a different one every month. Some were great successes. Everybody loved peanut butter and jelly. Uh, some were abject failures. No one liked the strawberry margarita.

Alex: Aha. Are you a creamy cheesecake lover and maker, or are you of the drier type?

Megan: Creamy. Definitely creamy.

Alex: Oh, good for you. [Chuckles] Put me on your, uh, your mailing list, please.

Alex: Elaine Ricci from Houston, Texas. Obviously you're into, uh, Halloween parties and dressing up. Now you and your husband attended a party dressed as...

Elaine: Dr Pepper and Sprite. He was Dr Pepper. I was Sprite.

Alex: Uh-huh. Was there a contest involved?

Elaine: Uh, there, uh, there actually was a contest, but we didn't win the contest.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Joon Pahk is our champion. Not only is he a crossword puzzle addict, he manages a different kind of baseball team.

Joon: Yes, I'm in a league of all fictional teams, and the team I manage is a team of playwrights, so my best player is Anton Chekhov, who's won the league MVP twice.

[Laughter]

Alex: This is, like, fantasy baseball?

Joon: Yeah, but the games are all simulated on a computer, and the players are all made-up, so it's a lot of fun.

Alex: What position does Anton Chekhov--

Joon: He's a second baseman.

Alex: Okay, that's good, import--all right.

[Chuckles]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A STICKY SITUATION $800: You can get things to stick with suction cups, similar to those on octopus arms, where they're called these

PAN AM IN THE '60s $800: (Christina Ricci gives the clue.) In the mid-'60s U.S. flight attendants were almost all female & it was 1965 when the EEOC ruled the airlines couldn't fire one for doing this
(Joon: What is getting pregnant?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joon: $10,400
Elaine: $5,000
Megan: $1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PLAYS & PLAYWRIGHTS (5/5)
NOT TO BE CONFUSED (3/3)
ANCIENT GREECE (4/5)
EMMY-WINNING GUEST APPEARANCES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WILLIAM & KATE (4/4)
PLUS 8 (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joon: 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Megan: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Elaine: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Megan snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Joon had $10,400, Elaine had $5,000, and Megan was at $2,200. Megan wagered $1,200.

EMMY-WINNING GUEST APPEARANCES $1200: In 2010 Neil Patrick Harris won for playing Mr. Schuester's former high school nemesis on this series

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Joon who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Joon had $16,400, Elaine had $9,400, and Megan was at $7,400. Joon made it a True Daily Double, wagering $16,400.

PLUS 8 $1600: Number of days in a leap year
times 2
plus 8

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANCIENT GREECE $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows us a map of the Mediterranean region.) Legend says Zeus released two eagles, one from the east, & one the west; they met at the site of this ancient city, then considered the center of the world
(Joon: What is Athens?)

PLUS 8 $800: 2011 x 3
plus 8
(Joon: What is 6,074?)
(Alex: Joon, you got in there too quickly. You had your mouth going before your brain was completely engaged.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Joon: $38,800 (lock game)
Elaine: $10,600
Megan: $9,000

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: And with that, you wind up at $38,800. This is one of those runaways, and, Joon, I want you to start thinking. I believe the record for one day is a Ken Jennings record of $75,000? Pretty close to that, but first let's show you the Final Jeopardy! category--

(Alex: Welcome back. During the break, I was reminded that it was Roger Craig who holds the 1-day record of $77,000--even more than Ken Jennings--for Jeopardy!)

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN TRAVEL & TOURISM

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Joon: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $17,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Elaine: Wager $7,401 to cover Megan.
Megan: Risk between $1,601 and $5,800, covering Elaine's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Visited by 15 million people a year, this spot in Britain honors an 1805 battle fought elsewhere

FINAL SCORES
Megan: $9,000 + $8,999 = $17,999 (What is Trafalgar Square.) (2nd place: $2,000)
Elaine: $10,600 - $10,600 = $0 (What is Trafalgar S.) (3rd place: $1,000)
Joon: $38,800 + $12,000 = $50,800 (What is Trafalgar Sq.?) (2-day champion: $79,600)
(Alex: [*], Admiral Nelson's column there.)
[Elaine had a mark written after the S which appeared to be the beginning of a q, but was not sufficiently complete to be sure, and was ruled incorrect by the judges after Alex initially appeared ready to accept it as correct.]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Joon: $23,200, 29 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Elaine: $10,600, 15 R, 0 W
Megan: $9,000, 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Combined Coryat: $42,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Joon: 30/60 = .500
Elaine: 15/58 = .259
Megan: 10/59 = .169
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DOUBLE "D" $400: It's the occupation shown here around 1900

DOUBLE "D" $800: It's the dangerous type of creature seen here

PAN AM IN THE '60s $200: (I'm Christina Ricci.) Our show has set scenes at this airport that got its present name in 1963; it was one of the first to give airlines their own terminals, with Pan Am's being one of the most modern

PAN AM IN THE '60s $400: (I'm Kelli Garner.) In the 1960s Pan Am was the airline for the real jet set & our show imagines the actual PA 101 flight that brought tihs quartet to America Feb. 7, 1964

PAN AM IN THE '60s $600: (I'm Karine Vanisse.) In the '60s this movie spy gave the airline some early product placement as a frequent Pan Am flyer; to Kingston in "Dr. No", to Istanbul in "From Russia With Love"

PAN AM IN THE '60s $1000: (I'm Margot Robbie.) In our show I appear on the cover of Life; in 1968 Pan Am flight attendant Susan Sicari really did make the cover along with the Aeroflot counterpart as Pan Am began the 1st regular air link with this Cold War capital

EMMY-WINNING GUEST APPEARANCES $2000: In 2002 Anthony LaPaglia picked up an Emmy for his role as Daphne Moon's brother Simon on this sitcom
[Applause for Megan's run of the category]
(Alex: He was funny, too, and you ran the category and moved yourself into second place.)

PLUS 8 $2000: 20 cubed
plus 20 squared
plus 8
[Applause for Joon]
(Alex: You're good at math. You got 'em all, except, uh, that one.)

NOT TO BE CONFUSED $400: Compost is used as fertilizer; this dessert is fruit cooked slowly in a sugar syrup
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

WILLIAM & KATE $1600: Among their first wedding gifts were the titles Duke & Duchess of this British university town
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
germanium
suckers
getting married
Glee
Delphi
Trafalgar Square
a peddler
an adder
JFK
the Beatles
James Bond
Moscow
Frasier
compote
Cambridge
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by jeff6286 »

European Travel & Tourism
Visited by 15 million people a year, this spot in Britain honors an 1805 battle fought elsewhere.
Spoiler
What is Trafalgar Square? Elaine wrote Trafalgar, followed by an S then another mark, but the judges decided that it wasn't clearly an "Sq", so they couldn't give her credit. Joon gave "What is Trafalgar Sq, so Elaine's would have been accepted had she made a better"q".?
Joon Pahk: $38,800+$12,000=$50,800...now a 2-day champion with $79,600
Elaine Ricci: $10,600-$10,600=$0
Megan Johnson: $9,000+$8,999=$17,999
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

This game made me want to sing "Joon Is Buzzing Out All Over!" Wowza!!!
TheConfessor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TheConfessor »

You'd think Alex would have remembered Roger Craig's record win. I wonder how many individual contestants he actually remembers besides Ken Jennings.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

That was a very satisfying game to watch. I practically jumped out of my skin shouting "TRUE DAILY DOUBLE!!"; a math question with an extra 10 (15?) seconds to consider it is a dream scenario, and to see him take perfect advantage of it had me smiling from ear to ear for the rest of the show :D

Two slam-dunk FJs to start the week, so Wednesday will probably be Uzbek opera or something.

ETA: happy birthday jeff6286 :mrgreen:
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

As soon as Joon hit the DD in "Plus 8" I said "bet it all" -- and he did! It was a smart move because all that category required was a bit of mental math.

I was also surprised that Alex forgot about Roger Craig's big win.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Three straight days of 44 correct. This is getting weird. Joon, ballsy wager. Great way of locking them out. Some less misses you might have gotten to fight Craig's record. Also Alex failed on that one with Jennings/Craig and the 1-day record.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Wow, Joon... that was great stuff! I sure hope you can sneak into the TOC.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Three straight days of 44 correct. This is getting weird. Joon, ballsy wager. Great way of locking them out. Some less misses you might have gotten to fight Craig's record. Also Alex failed on that one with Jennings/Craig and the 1-day record.
Elaine and Megan weren't bad either. If not for the Glee DD gotten by Megan, Joon could have gotten closer to the one-day record. Joon going true DD after that misstep in the Plus 8 category was not bad. Too bad Elaine lost out on the $1K by not getting the Q in for her FJ! response.
legendneverdies

TheConfessor wrote:You'd think Alex would have remembered Roger Craig's record win. I wonder how many individual contestants he actually remembers besides Ken Jennings.
Two more wins and Joon will be meeting Roger :)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yes, big props to Joon for recognizing when a big Daily Double wager is in order!

I couldn't believe that Peloponnesian War clue was valued at $2000.

Instant get FJ for the second night in a row.

I would like to see Joon in the ToC. It seems like his knowledge base probably is best suited for ToC clues, but he is pretty solid all around.

I just cannot get over the quality of contestants that we have seen since around the time of Jay Rhee's run (late June). It's unreal.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was very concerned that Alex had jinxed Joon by mentioning KJ at the beginning, but was gratified that that was not to be. Yowza! Quite some performance, Joon. I really didn't think you were going to say 'true' on the the Plus 8 DD, but if there was a time and place, that was surely it as you quickly recognized. I was correcting Alex before the FJ reveal about Roger, but I'm glad they got that straightened out. And I was waiting for his second baseman to show up in DJ. That would have been funny.
NJCondon
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by NJCondon »

legendneverdies wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:You'd think Alex would have remembered Roger Craig's record win. I wonder how many individual contestants he actually remembers besides Ken Jennings.
Actually, given that the ToC is already in the can, two more wins and he already will have met Roger! (Insert superluminal neutrino joke here.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I can't see Monday's epsiode until Friday, so thanks for making me scared of missing FJ, i'll be worried all week!!! Today took me a second, but 1805 led me to Nelson, which gave me Trafalgar.

We see a lot of categories like Plus 8 where we say "Make it a TDD and take money from your wallet and throw it on the podium. Take up a collection from the audience." Glad to see him do it!!! Can any J! historians tell us where his TDD ranks on the all time list?

Felt bad for the lady negged for not finishing her q. She looked a little peeved, at least it only cost her $1,000. My heart skipped a beat when Joon had Sq for his question, but it was acceptable.
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

Wow! Very impressive win. I've started watching Jeopardy with my seven-year-old in anticipation of my airdate next week, and he's a big Joon fan.

While I recognize that a math category like that is perfect for a true daily double, I'm not sure that I'd have had the ovaries to go for it.

Congrats to Megan, too, for running the Emmy category. Fun game to watch all around.
legendneverdies

NJCondon wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:
Actually, given that the ToC is already in the can, two more wins and he already will have met Roger! (Insert superluminal neutrino joke here.)
The only shots of the set seen in this week's promo at the Sony J! site, show Chris as the champ, from what I could see(they showed a wide shot of the set in both cases). No other games were spoiled this week.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Great job Joon! Serious cash!

I would never have though Chekov would play second base: seems like a catcher to me.

The perfect place for a huge true daily double. For someone who was getting the arithmetic questions like they were buzzer beaters, the leisurely pace of a daily double was easy. Good thing it wasn't me - I messed it up and was 10 low.

On the final I had Trafalgar Square instantly, but then spent the next 29 seconds second guessing myself: is it Trafalgar Square? Circus? Circle? I left it at Square, but I definitely sympathize with Elaine.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I don't know what the judges were looking at, because it looked like from where I sat that Elaine had written the 'q'. Bad call IMO.

Dream board in J!, missing only Fantastic Four and shudder (and both were gettable). DJ was average, but the math category was cake, even picking up the one Joon missed. Once again, Civilization to the rescue, as I picked up Delphi from seeing it in the wonder video.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The funny thing on the DD was that I calculated the answer, but then double-checked it as if me getting it right was crucial for Joon.