LL66 (For the LLamas)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: LL66 (For the LLamas)

Post by Rex Kramer »

seaborgium wrote:. "Japan? No, their stock exchange is called the Nikkei, and would that really count for the continent?
Actually, "Nikkei" is part of the name of the newspaper that publishes the commonly used stock average. In other words, the Nikkei Average is akin to the Dow Jones Industrial Average. Knowing that, I confidently went with Japan because I had seen an infographic just two days ago that showed that Japan has the highest market cap in all of Asia, still higher than China's. However, the exchange itself is called the Tokyo Stock Exchange, which I also should have known.
goforthetie wrote:I went with My Little Pony: The College Years.
Aiming for BWA, I went with "My Little Pony: Cyber Voyager". But perhaps that was too obscure.

At the moment it seems the two unluckiest people in LL are Christopher Short and Drew Scheeler, neither of whom even have a Defensive Efficiency -- because both have faced opponents who answered all six questions correctly, three Match Days in a row.

Rex
tjconn728
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by tjconn728 »

jfrumkin wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Volante wrote:Though that likely is a combination of those who missed that caveat and those who didn't know the subtitle.
Mostly the latter, I would presume. I knew "My Little Pony" wasn't going to cut it, but I didn't have a clue what the subtitle was.
A coworker yesterday, after knowing we had both submitted, emailed to ask if I had gotten that right and, if so, was it because I have a 5-year-old daughter. I responded back by giving him a plot synopsis of Equestria Girls. That was a perfect storm of no-brainer because I have a Rainbow Dash-obsessed daughter and being able to give it 3 points on the decent gamble that the person I was playing could not say the same thing. "Bronies" are a pop culture curiosity so it's not entirely impossible to know it without having a young kid, but obviously very unlikely.
No kids, never heard of the movie, never watched the show, don't know what channel it's even on, but because the annual Bronie Convention is in Baltimore, I've seen enough grown men walking the streets in My Little Pony outfits that the full name of the show was stuck in my brain somewhere.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Volante wrote:I guess this is the reminder to always read the question in full?

Most Common Wrong Answer
MY LITTLE PONY (32%)

Though that likely is a combination of those who missed that caveat and those who didn't know the subtitle.

(I wonder what MCW got the highest %...)
I just thought My Little Pony was the full title.

I know about lebensraum, but couldn't come up with the word before I submitted. With those two wrong answers and less-than-stellar defense, this was my first loss this season.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

goforthetie wrote:I went with My Little Pony: The College Years.
Same here: It had to be either The College Years or My Little Pony: Voyager.
Sheepin' it real.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew there was an underground group of adult fans of the show, but I never knew they held a convention.

Scary.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

Bamaman wrote:I knew there was an underground group of adult fans of the show, but I never knew they held a convention.

Scary.
There's a movie about Bronies: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2446192/
It's on Netflix, but not nearly as funny or interesting as Trekkies.
Last edited by jfrumkin on Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote:I knew there was an underground group of adult fans of the show, but I never knew they held a convention.

Scary.
The scary thing is that they aren't nearly as underground as one would think they'd be!
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

Was surprised to get a wheelhouse set of questions yesterday. Got a 9(6).

Almost screwed up the first question by putting down 'Chris Brasher'. Brasher was Bannister's pacemaker and founded 'Chris Brasher's Sporting Emporium' (now a chain called Sweatshop) in the town where I grew up. He also founded a little thing called the London Marathon. (The perils of occasionally knowing too much!)

Also put down 'liebensraum', which could, I guess, mean 'loving room' instead of 'living room', but Thorsten thankfully accepted it.

And, of course, I'm very grateful to have an eight-year-old daughter. (And an eleven-year-old son, who quietly enjoys MLP:FIM just as much as his sister.)
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

This Is Kirk! wrote:

Scary.
The scary thing is that they aren't nearly as underground as one would think they'd be!
What kind of lunatics would congregate online and in person to celebrate a specific TV show?

Rex
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Anyone who knew the whole title of MLP:FIM gets a brohoof. (That's the equivalent of a fist-bump for bronies in pony costumes, a disturbing thing I learned the other day.)
I'm glad "Thorsten" was lenient on my bad German spelling of "liebensraum." Does he grade every single submission? It must be well near impossible to grade 20,000+ questions in one day. I too got Bratislava from that old Final Jeopardy.
Edit: I just searched Jboard for "brohoof" (why?) and the only other mention came from TPH!
Hoping for a third lap
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

May the Lord help me, but I got the My Little Pony clue because of TPH. He had a discussion on here about My Little Pony, and that got me curious enough to look it up to see what it was about.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

alietr wrote:May the Lord help me, but I got the My Little Pony clue because of TPH. He had a discussion on here about My Little Pony, and that got me curious enough to look it up to see what it was about.
For the first time, the ignore function is a negative! I think those who answered liebensraum were lucky to have it accepted, since the meaning is changed. Pronunciation is different, too, but that's a tricky distinction for a foreign word. First in my rundle, despite not having a 9(6) yet. Vagaries of schedule; two very good opponents had offer days than I did.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

I have my 12-year-old sister to thank on the My Little Pony question. She's made me watch it with her a few times...while I am far, far, far from being a "brony" (shudder), it was not half as bad as I thought it would be.

I have somehow managed to make it to 8th place in my Rundle...I'm as amazed as you are. :P
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

econgator wrote:
Volante wrote:I guess this is the reminder to always read the question in full?

Most Common Wrong Answer
MY LITTLE PONY (32%)

Though that likely is a combination of those who missed that caveat and those who didn't know the subtitle.

(I wonder what MCW got the highest %...)
I knew it had a subtitle, but had no clue what it was.
I, on the other hand, had absolutely no idea that there are at least four iterations of My Little Pony.

I knew that I was going to score exactly four points yesterday on my four correct answers. My profile makes it very easy for opponents to defend me, especially when two of the six questions are about Television and Languages.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jfrumkin wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Volante wrote:Though that likely is a combination of those who missed that caveat and those who didn't know the subtitle.
Mostly the latter, I would presume. I knew "My Little Pony" wasn't going to cut it, but I didn't have a clue what the subtitle was.
A coworker yesterday, after knowing we had both submitted, emailed to ask if I had gotten that right and, if so, was it because I have a 5-year-old daughter. I responded back by giving him a plot synopsis of Equestria Girls. That was a perfect storm of no-brainer because I have a Rainbow Dash-obsessed daughter and being able to give it 3 points on the decent gamble that the person I was playing could not say the same thing. "Bronies" are a pop culture curiosity so it's not entirely impossible to know it without having a young kid, but obviously very unlikely.

I'm surprised Mercury only got 59%. Maybe because I read The Right Stuff or maybe because people overthought it (I almost changed my answer because I was afraid I had underthought it), but I was positive that Mercury-Gemini-Apollo is a very well-known progression.
Sadly, while I have a daughter (likes pink and ponies, but will be 13 this weekend so too old for MLP), I have a few brony (and furry) friends (I'm not, but I have no problem with their fandoms) and I'm sure my contact with them keeps FIM in my mind.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

My kid watches the show for 2-3 hours daily.
I bought her all the ponies.
Some of the ponies' names are known to me.
Occasionally the theme song gets stuck in my head.
YET I NHO "FIM"! Had NO idea there are 4 iterations of this banal, tedious and yet immensely popular show. So sad.... :cry:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Both ShortC and ScheelerD continue their DE-less streaks with their fourth consecutive matches against 9(6) opponents. I wonder what the record is.

Rex
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

I guessed Trinidad and Tobago because I figured I'd be pissed if I guessed something else and that was it. Somehow I've had this insane run of luck on guesses and gotten all of 3 wrong in my first 4 days, but am still 1-2-1 because A Rundle. Two 8(5)-9(6) losses, which I know might as well be 6(5)-9(6) losses, but look more annoying. When my guessing luck runs out, I'm toast.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Remembering a five-word acronym from a comic that ran ~25 years ago? Not going to happen for me. I find the get rate on this one amazingly high (33%). I guess I should re-read the Calvin and Hobbes books we have to improve my literature knowledge.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woof wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
This. Though "My Little Pony" was more a WAG than anything else. As for the subtitle, not a chance in Hell. As for Lebensraum, that was a YEKIOYD kind of question. It comes up in a lot of histories of Nazi Germany.
Great, this post makes me conjure up thoughts of "My Little Nazi". (And I wouldn't be surprised if a brony beat me to it already and already sketched out some cartoons on that theme.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012