LL66 (For the LLamas)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Droidysseus
Contributor

Re: LL66 (For the LLamas)

Post by Droidysseus »

First 9(6) of the season. :shock:

And I will respectfully disagree as I view C&H as a great work of modern literature.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

The LL site appears to be down. Ugh. (I haven't even looked at today's questions, and I'm worried I'm going to forfeit now.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

hbomb1947 wrote:
bomtr wrote:
teapot37 wrote:I'm amazed that the MCWA on Q1 was Turks and Caicos, because that's not even a country!
I am FOREVER underestimating the difficulty level of geography questions. And you're welcome. After Mumbai, I should make it a rule never to zero a geography question.
That wasn't really a geography question, although it required some knowledge of geography. Thorsten classified it as "Bus/Econ" question since it was about the LNG (although obviously, you had to know at least one dual-island Carribean nation to get the question right). And to borrow a phrase I used in another thread, this did strike me as a dartboard question. My choice of Trinidad & Tobago over Antigua & Barbuda, or St. Kitts & Nevis, was entirely arbitrary.
I think that's why it was a Bus/Econ question, those with Bus/Econ knowledge view it as WECIB, whereas most of the rest of us it's a dartboard.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

nightreign wrote:The LL site appears to be down. Ugh. (I haven't even looked at today's questions, and I'm worried I'm going to forfeit now.)
Indeed :(

But don't worry too much about forfeiting; most likely Thorsten will extend the submission deadline to Sunday night if the downtime is significant. Let's just hope we don't have a repeat of LL64.
tjconn728 wrote:not knowing how long you've been in the U.S. for, I thought there was a greater chance of you knowing about the O.J. trial than C&H.
Actually I was on the other side of the Atlantic for both of them, but each permeated my consciousness fairly deeply. I remember waiting outside a class to hear the OJ verdict on the radio. I think it was announced at 10am Pacific, which was 6pm my time. And I got a C&H book for my 18th birthday in 1989 and eventually bought them all -- and now my kids are devouring them hungrily.
Last edited by ThreeIfByAir on Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
bomtr wrote:
teapot37 wrote:I'm amazed that the MCWA on Q1 was Turks and Caicos, because that's not even a country!
I am FOREVER underestimating the difficulty level of geography questions. And you're welcome. After Mumbai, I should make it a rule never to zero a geography question.
That wasn't really a geography question, although it required some knowledge of geography. Thorsten classified it as "Bus/Econ" question since it was about the LNG (although obviously, you had to know at least one dual-island Carribean nation to get the question right). And to borrow a phrase I used in another thread, this did strike me as a dartboard question. My choice of Trinidad & Tobago over Antigua & Barbuda, or St. Kitts & Nevis, was entirely arbitrary.
I think that's why it was a Bus/Econ question, those with Bus/Econ knowledge view it as WECIB, whereas most of the rest of us it's a dartboard.
What is "WECIB"?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

hbomb1947 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
bomtr wrote:
What is "WECIB"?
What Else Could It Be?

For the record, I know all my twinned Caribbean islands, obviously, and I know that A&B and St. K&N have terrible economies and that T&T is a regional powerhouse, and gas in the area wouldn't surprise me.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Rex Kramer wrote:Both ShortC and ScheelerD continue their DE-less streaks with their fourth consecutive matches against 9(6) opponents. I wonder what the record is.

Rex
I had 4 of my first 5 last season, with a perfect defense win on I think Day 4.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

nightreign wrote:The LL site appears to be down. Ugh. (I haven't even looked at today's questions, and I'm worried I'm going to forfeit now.)
From the Twitter feed:

LLamas spread the word, LL site's down. Good news, it's hosting issue & not LL issue. Bad news, fix has to propagate which takes 4-24 hrs.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

alietr wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:I never knew about the one-hand rule for polo. Thus, I was among the "jai alai" contingent.
Chukka should be Pavlovian for polo. Maybe that's because my grandfather played it.
Especially if your grandfather was also named Pavlov.
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

In addition, Thorsten said that we will indeed have until at least Sunday to submit answers. So nightreign should be OK as long as she submits sometime during the weekend.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

dhkendall wrote:
Woof wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Volante wrote:Though that likely is a combination of those who missed that caveat and those who didn't know the subtitle.
Mostly the latter, I would presume. I knew "My Little Pony" wasn't going to cut it, but I didn't have a clue what the subtitle was.
This. Though "My Little Pony" was more a WAG than anything else. As for the subtitle, not a chance in Hell. As for Lebensraum, that was a YEKIOYD kind of question. It comes up in a lot of histories of Nazi Germany.
Great, this post makes me conjure up thoughts of "My Little Nazi". (And I wouldn't be surprised if a brony beat me to it already and already sketched out some cartoons on that theme.)
My Little Nazi: Fuhrership Is Shmutzig
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
seaborgium wrote:That fact about Trinidad and Tobago is utterly unfamiliar to me. My only chance of getting that right was to guess it from the narrow qualification of caribbean twin-island nations.
T&T was the first thing I thought of and since it's near Venezuela, and Venezuela had lots of oil, I figured it was likely to be correct.
That, plus it's much larger than any other candidate answer.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

dhkendall wrote:
boson wrote:Remembering a five-word acronym from a comic that ran ~25 years ago? Not going to happen for me. I find the get rate on this one amazingly high (33%). I guess I should re-read the Calvin and Hobbes books we have to improve my literature knowledge.
I was actually surprised at the low get rate of this one, considering how beloved C&H is even 20 years after it ended. (My kids, both born several years after the last, love the strip; they read their dad's collections.) They seem to be the official comic of the Internet due to their ubiquity. That was my rationale behind zeroing that question. smh.
I knew the gist of it, but couldn't remember the words. Concluding I had no chance, went for BWA with "Gotta Remember Old Strips, Senile!" but Thorsten wasn't amused.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

LearnedLeague site is up! I just submitted successfully.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got mine in as well. I never got an e-mail notification saying the site is down, so I don't know how much of an extension he is going to grant.

Yesterday I again overcame bad defense to win 4(3)-3(1). I am now second in my Rundle with the second-worst defense but a 4-0 record. The only one worse than me has a record of 0-4 and is in next-to-last place. My D better improve as I can't rely on my offense to carry the day every time.

I don't follow soccer, but I know T&T is always in our World Cup qualifying group so they were better known to me. I knew nothing of their economics or exactly where they are located but I picked them over the other island pairs.

I was never a big Calvin fan, but it seems to have been pretty popular here so I figured other Llamas would have been so I assigned zero for it but they got it wrong. I was really shocked only 1/3 got it right league-wide.

No chance on Mumbai (the only one my opponent got right) and could not pull out Pop Idol. Kato sounded like a good name for a dog and the leghorn was a safe guess.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I just got an email saying the deadline has been extended to 8 PM PT on Sunday.

(and, fwiw, Trinidad and Tobago is the largest of the twin island nations, and it has somewhat of a presence in the Olympics, etc., which is why I said it.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

nightreign wrote:I just got an email saying the deadline has been extended to 8 PM PT on Sunday.

(and, fwiw, Trinidad and Tobago is the largest of the twin island nations, and it has somewhat of a presence in the Olympics, etc., which is why I said it.)
I am glad people are getting an extension, but I hate having to wait another 48 hours to see how I did.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Bamaman wrote:No chance on Mumbai (the only one my opponent got right) and could not pull out Pop Idol. Kato sounded like a good name for a dog and the leghorn was a safe guess.
When I first read the Mumbai clue, I thought "What . . . the . . . hell?" and resigned myself to missing it. Then I figured out the TOM. I was pretty sure "Marathi" was Indian, though whether that was actual knowledge or just a reasonable guess from the orthography, I'm still not sure. And "islands" means a coastal city. So we're looking for a coastal Indian city that was renamed 20 years ago. That seemed a lot more reasonable! I think Thorsten writes some pretty fantastic clues.

Rex
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Leghorn was one of those "well, I might as well put something down..." moments. I was surprised to have it be right. Trinidad & Tobago was an educated WAG, and Pop Idol I just knew cold (this should not surprise anyone who knows me on this board).

I couldn't parse that OJ Simpson question for the life of me. That, and although I was alive when the trial happened, I can't say I know much about it. File that under things I need to learn more about.

It wasn't due to a last-minute answer change this time, but like Day 1, yesterday I lost by just one point again. Aargh. I can definitely improve on defense...
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

Leghorn was a complete guess. Kato was an educated guess. Went with Antigua and Barbuda. The GROSS clue was probably the easiest of the whole run so far for me. I have been a massive c+h fan for almost 30 years and my five year old son and I read it together every night.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.