Zach Horan (legendneverdies) Banned

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lerr
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Zach Horan (legendneverdies) Banned

Post by lerr »

A comment elsewhere threw up red flags for me that he's still at it.
mike johnson
September 21, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Take your glasses off, Natalie. Let your hair down. [Playful toss of the hair]
hdayejr
Contributor

Post by hdayejr »

Back on topic, I would not be surprised if Zach has more than one name here. They are probably in "lurking" mode, waiting to strike. You think he's really gone? Think again. He was the king of sockpuppetry(term borrow from Wikipedia) on Usenet.

At the very least, he's watching the board and this thread from a proxy at the local library. I bet it all on this one.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Rex Kramer wrote:
BRD-98 wrote:If "mansplaining" is a real problem, so is a hypothetical equivalent, "womansplaining."
Yeah, and white lives matter, too!
Ugh. As much as I loved your previous post, this one contains a terrible analogy. "Black Lives Matter" does not project a message of reverse racism, either taken literally or as actually used. The term "mansplaining" clearly conveys reverse sexism. A more apt racial analogy might be found in some of Al Sharpton's rhetoric.
BRD-98
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by BRD-98 »

Rex Kramer wrote:
BRD-98 wrote:If "mansplaining" is a real problem, so is a hypothetical equivalent, "womansplaining."
Totally different. See gnash's latest post.
Rex Kramer wrote:Drawing a false equivalence between the ingrained cultural dismissal of women's power, perceptions, and prerogatives and that time an overenthusiastic feminist did not understand the real you is part of a very old tradition.
It's not false equivalence. It's a completely valid pushback a term often used in a sexist way.
Last edited by BRD-98 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

opusthepenguin wrote: I don't want to start a long debate. But...
You lose!
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

lerr wrote:A comment elsewhere threw up red flags for me that he's still at it.
mike johnson
September 21, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Take your glasses off, Natalie. Let your hair down. [Playful toss of the hair]
That's not him. His writing style is more stilted than that.

Zach Horan is hardly the only person scrawling weird things on the internet about female J! players; his defining trait is that he does it to nearly all of them systematically, with a certain pattern that he varies slightly but from which he doesn't really deviate unless called on it, at which point stranger (far stranger than this) comments start coming out. I'm still getting the occasional icky comment since my run, but I know they're not from him because they don't sound like him.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: I'm still getting the occasional icky comment since my run, but I know they're not from him because they don't sound like him.
I promise, I've gotten it all out of system now.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

I'll also add: I think he's gone underground - at least temporarily - because he knows he crossed a major line with that comment to the Kids' Week player that made it impossible to write off the rest as harmless, and he's not quite sure what to do next. His modus operandi necessitates going juuuust up to the boundary line where you can menace people without it being anything that technically violates any rules. (Basically, an adult version of holding your fingers millimeters away from someone's skin and chanting, "I'm not touching you, not touching you!" and then insisting you did nothing wrong to parents/teachers.) He was not prepared for others to recognize that he crossed a serious line there, and I think he realized he's more out of control (read: more likely to get into serious, legally actionable trouble) than he gave himself credit for being.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

jeff6286 wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote: I'm still getting the occasional icky comment since my run, but I know they're not from him because they don't sound like him.
I promise, I've gotten it all out of system now.
Ah, so YOU'RE the nose fetishist? Well, that's one mystery solved.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:...an adult version...
I do not think that word means what you think it means.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

mahatma wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:...an adult version...
I do not think that word means what you think it means.
On the contrary, I meant exactly that. There's a reason why "cyberial cigar" was his terminology of choice. It's a very specific kind of threat towards women, disguised as something else so it doesn't sound like a threat. Sometimes a cigar is not just a cigar.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Well, I was kidding. However, I do hate that connotation of the word 'adult'. It has a way of creeping into otherwise innocuous conversations. Icky, indeed.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

mahatma wrote:Well, I was kidding. However, I do hate that connotation of the word 'adult'. It has a way of creeping into otherwise innocuous conversations. Icky, indeed.
Fitting, as this is an innocuous conversation about things that are not innocuous.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

gnash wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
Ugh. As much as I loved your previous post, this one contains a terrible analogy. "Black Lives Matter" does not project a message of reverse racism, either taken literally or as actually used.
There are PLENTY of people out there who disagree with you and say things like, "Oh, so you're saying that white lives don't matter? That Black lives are the only lives that matter? Or are you just saying that Black lives matter more than white lives? Either way, that is so racist!" (There is also the "So cops' lives don't matter?" rhetoric, which is logically the same but does not specifically involve reverse racism.) We can agree that those are neither the intended uses nor the most logical literal interpretations, but that won't change the facts that those readings exist and that the diversity of the English language means that there is some weak justification for such readings.
gnash wrote:The term "mansplaining" clearly conveys reverse sexism.
There is justification for that position, too -- the very use of a gendered term always runs the risk of sexism, for one thing -- and I will even grant that people sometimes misuse the term in a sexist way, to dismiss the opinions of men just because they are men; but those people are clearly not employing the original intended use. If your true complaint is about the misuse of the term, I am on your bandwagon, for both humanitarian and linguistic reasons. But the fact that there are some people out there misusing the term does not invalidate the word entirely. I am still allowed to use the word "literally" properly, despite the prevalent improper use.

And the assertion that "mansplaining" is inherently offensive -- with the concurrent citation of patently ridiculous misuses of the word -- runs the risk of denigrating not just the word but the concept it represents: the disregard of the value of women's knowledge and opinions based on societal messages about women's worth. This is precisely what happened to the term "politically correct", which started off as a well-intentioned term to gently point out culturally inconsiderate behavior. The misuses of the term were wildly played up by that portion of our society that does not believe it should be forced to admit or confront cultural inconsiderateness, until in the eyes of the public "political correctness" became a grotesque symbol for overreaching closeminded authority. And now the phrase is used as a cudgel to beat down any criticism of actually culturally inconsiderate behavior.

It is a well-used reactionary ploy that Orwell would recognize: if someone attempts to identify a previously unarticulated (or not well articulated) injustice by coining a new term for it, first you ridicule the term, and eventually you can ridicule the injustice as well. I understand why those of us who care about language and logic would be offended by the misuses of the term "mansplaining", but I would not allow those concerns to play into the hands of those who would just prefer we not even recognize that women are sometimes treated poorly because they are women, by men who do so because of what society has taught them.

Rex
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

I don't think, just for example, that the term "manscaping" involves an assertion that all men are hairy. There's a bit of an overcharacterization happening, whether or not one agrees with Rex's correct assessment of context.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

While the term still bothers me, I am willing to concede that there are certain contexts in which it can be the right tool for the job. More importantly, I'm willing to concede that my sensitivity to the term may be enhanced by the fact that there isn't exactly a long history of terms like this aimed at people like me.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

Rex Kramer wrote:...I would not allow those concerns to play into the hands of those who would just prefer we not even recognize that women are sometimes treated poorly because they are women, by men who do so because of what society has taught them.

Rex
THIS. SO MUCH THIS. Sexist behavior is taught/learned, so any swipe I may make at how some men behave is truly a swipe at a sexist social norms that encourages men and women to act in gender "appropriate" ways that are problematic, at best.

(P.S. Rex, can I hire you to write my posts? You always say what I mean more articulately than I can ever manage -- must be because you're a man. :lol: )
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Wait, did you just accuse Rex of mansplaining your views?

(*100% sarcasm, for those who don't know me well enough to discern that)
BrownPaperBag

Post by BrownPaperBag »

Before & After

1970s sitcom featuring Jack Albertson as chauvinist who frequently made condescending remarks to women
Spoiler
What is the Chico and the Mansplainer?
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I've never been accused of "reverse sexism" before. It's almost as bad/hilarious as "reverse racism." I never thought this could happen to me on a game show message board. Thank you Internet!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS