Site Visibility Poll

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

What Rank does JBoard Show Up in a Google Search for Jeopardy Message Board (no quotes)?

First
12%
Second
No votes
Third
2%
Fourth
No votes
Fifth
3%
Sixth
3%
Seventh
31%
Eighth
46%
Ninth
3%
Tenth
2%
Later
No votes

Total votes: 59

alietr
Site Admin

Site Visibility Poll

Post by alietr »

I'm curious now; when I do a Google search for "Jeopardy message board" (WITHOUT the quotes), it comes up differently at home vs. at work. Where is it showing up for you?
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Re: Site Visibility Poll

Post by chuck5982 »

7th.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Can someone familiar enough with Google explain to me how and why the results vary like this? Thanks.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:Can someone familiar enough with Google explain to me how and why the results vary like this? Thanks.
Gah, it was so obvious of course I overlooked it...

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Jeopardy+message+board = 5th.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Jeopardy+message+board = 7th.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

alietr wrote:Can someone familiar enough with Google explain to me how and why the results vary like this? Thanks.
I recall hearing from someone familiar with SEO that Google may at times add some regional considerations into its rankings, not just between .ca and .com, but among .coms..... though I don't know why regions would matter on a search like this one.

The results of this poll so far are in a rather tight range. If a true outlier appeared (1st, 2nd or >> 10th), then I'd be stumped.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Both of my searches were done from Google.com, so using different Googles isn't it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote:Both of my searches were done from Google.com, so using different Googles isn't it.
All I can think of is clearing cookies and trying both browsers from a clean slate position.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The search engine on my computer is run by Yahoo! and I never been abl to find this place through it, at least not on the first three or four pages of hits. I went to Google and it was the eighth link listed. Strangley, it was a thread I started called with a bunch of key words in the title that was the one I saw.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Got 8th on my Google. Not even for the main page, just a topic
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

8th here. The top 7: two msg board posts (straightdope, usmessageboard), three J.com pages (home page, downloads, audition updates), a Wiki entry on the audition process, and a thoughtful blog post on beaconfire.com by Marissa Goldsmith, who knocked off Tom Nissley late last December. Marissa is a webdev, so must know a thing or two about SEO.
In and out of the pool four times
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

My understanding (from self-described experts) is that pretty much all the search engines are constantly gathering data about each individual's use and tailoring the searches to more closely match what you've searched for or where you've visited before. :shock: More than likely, you're using your computer at work in different ways than at home, so that would seem to be consistent. Or that could be made-up paranoia.
KellyJ!
Contributor

Post by KellyJ! »

Eighth for me.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

8th here. The top 7: two msg board posts (straightdope, usmessageboard), three J.com pages (home page, downloads, audition updates), a Wiki entry on the audition process, and a thoughtful blog post on beaconfire.com by Marissa Goldsmith, who knocked off Tom Nissley late last December. Marissa is a webdev, so must know a thing or two about SEO.
It's coming up 10th for me now, but it was 9th when I checked on a school lab computer. Here, I've got the same pages, same order, as Reddpen's, but I have two posts from thejeopardyfan.com popping up before JBoard. I think that has to do with BARandall sharing some posts from there on Google+ and I'm connected to him on G+. So, the social networking stuff is a factor.
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

8th, but note that it's an actual thread on Jboard called "Jeopardy message board discussion forum". Without that thread, it's hard to say what would have happened.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

6th, right behind jeopardy.com.

To be more precise:
1: straightdope.com asking if the Sony site is defunct,
2: Wikipedia on the J! audition process
3: a post on usmessageboard.com that seems to be about as true as the "best bible translation" urban legend (that is, not at all, searches on j-archive.com shows nada for the J! question that apparently appeared "recently" (as of 2010) that "no one got)
4. Marissa's blog post
5. jeopardy.com
6. This board's thread to boost visibility on "jeopardy message board discussion forum". (The first "other results from jboard.tv" below it is this thread. Woah! Meta!)
7. gamefaqs.com about J! for Wii (title of thread: "Jeopardy! Message Board for Wii)
8. Similar to 1. but on kenjennings.com's discussion forum
9. thejeopardyfan's blog where she goes through message baord withdrawl :)
10. imdb entry on the show

These searches were done from Canada on google.com
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

8th
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bill's post reminded me that I know Marissa, and she's given me a few tips that will hopefully help.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

1. straightdope.com
2. jeopardy.com
3. jeopardy.com/downloads
4. jeopardy.com/news/...
5. wikipedia.org/Jeopardy!_audition_process
6. usmessageboard.com (thread about the UToC Arlington FJ)
7. beaconfire.com (Marissa Goldsmith's article)
8. jboard.tv (bamaman's thread)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:6. usmessageboard.com (thread about the UToC Arlington FJ)
Thanks for clearing up that the clue actually existed, Stefan - why am I not surprised you knew it was a real FJ?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:
seaborgium wrote:6. usmessageboard.com (thread about the UToC Arlington FJ)
Thanks for clearing up that the clue actually existed, Stefan - why am I not surprised you knew it was a real FJ?
The FJ clue and response are probably the details I'm most likely to remember from any game. It helps that that wasn't a popular FJ, judging by the message board comments in that game's thread.