J!-Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

coomba02
Just Starting Out on JBoard

J!-Archive

Post by coomba02 »

Hi.. I was wondering if there were plans to use this forum as a way to keep us updated on "New old" game updates to the J!-Archive website? If not, could you give me the link to the Twitter feed?

Thanks
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: J!-Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Twitter account is: JArchive

I'll put more games in before the summer is out and I can post here when that happens also.
coomba02

Post by coomba02 »

Thanks Mark! :)
BobF

Post by BobF »

Anybody on here affiliated with J-Archive? That site rocks!
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

The J_Archive has an account here, used by the archivists (called "Archivists") primarily to open the daily discussion threads, but, the very odd time on the old board an archivist would post under that account to respond to something in their capacity as a representative of that site.

There's also a list of the archivists here, I know for a fact that several of these people post here (and have said as such), but I'll leave it to them to out themselves by revealing their aliases if they want.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BobF

Post by BobF »

dhkendall wrote:The J_Archive has an account here, used by the archivists (called "Archivists") primarily to open the daily discussion threads, but, the very odd time on the old board an archivist would post under that account to respond to something in their capacity as a representative of that site.

There's also a list of the archivists here, I know for a fact that several of these people post here (and have said as such), but I'll leave it to them to out themselves by revealing their aliases if they want.
I notice one has the last name "Kendall". Hmmmm.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Yes, I'm an Archivist-at-Large for the site. I pester people I find on other message boards who've been on the show to send me tapes. Most people are happy to send a tape along.

-Myron
BobF

Post by BobF »

Good to meet you guys. I'm in the process of creating a final jeopardy game to replace the Sony Rewards game. I haven't been very diligent in keeping it up to date during kids' week, I've been making behind the scene improvements. I'll provide a link later on, and I hope maybe we can form some sort of partnership where I can get some clues from you guys and I'll provide links to the site. (Well, I should probably provide a link to your site anyway).
doogie

Post by doogie »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Yes, I'm an Archivist-at-Large for the site. I pester people I find on other message boards who've been on the show to send me tapes. Most people are happy to send a tape along.

-Myron
MinnesotaMyron, is there some way I can get myself listed on the J Archive? I was on the show in 1996 for three days and submitted a DVD of these some years back to one of the founding archivists and never heard back from him on it. If you can message me separately with an address, I'd be happy to mail it on to you within the next few weeks (traveling currently). The J Archive doesn't seem to provide any way of currently reaching its archivists...

Thanks so much.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

mailto:myronmmeyer@yahoo.com . Send it along. The TCONA put a few other shows in my hands, but I'll get to it as quick as I can. (Notice the extra M in the middle of the email address.)

And thank you. The archive depends on the kindness of strangers such as yourself.

-M
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If any archivist is interested, I ran across this on you tube. It is original TOC finalist Bruce Fauman's third game. The on screen tag from GSN says it aired in March 1985, but does not give the exact date and it is not in the archive, but perhaps someone knows the dates of his run.

http://youtu.be/MqkoaPBj-7k

http://youtu.be/lLvy51nlI7g
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote:If any archivist is interested, I ran across this on you tube. It is original TOC finalist Bruce Fauman's third game. The on screen tag from GSN says it aired in March 1985, but does not give the exact date and it is not in the archive, but perhaps someone knows the dates of his run.

http://youtu.be/MqkoaPBj-7k

http://youtu.be/lLvy51nlI7g
This archivist is always interested. Thanks for posting, as usual. We may have a bit of work trying to figure the date of this one. I finally figured out the date of the Rocky Schmidt/Sister Carol episode this morning, so I'm happy to have a new mystery, but this one is going to take some real digging.

-M
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:This archivist is always interested. Thanks for posting, as usual. We may have a bit of work trying to figure the date of this one. I finally figured out the date of the Rocky Schmidt/Sister Carol episode this morning, so I'm happy to have a new mystery, but this one is going to take some real digging.

-M
I'm curious how you figured it out. I asked Rocky himself, to no avail!

Mike Day's second game was on Youtube, but I discovered it was gone when researching this post. That's got an airdate a little easier to figure out, since Mike posted at length about his appearances.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:This archivist is always interested. Thanks for posting, as usual. We may have a bit of work trying to figure the date of this one. I finally figured out the date of the Rocky Schmidt/Sister Carol episode this morning, so I'm happy to have a new mystery, but this one is going to take some real digging.

-M
I'm curious how you figured it out.
The video we have of that episode includes a commercial for an episode of Entertainment Tonight in which Michael Douglas is interviewed regarding his new movie The Jewel of the Nile. I spent hours looking through scanned TV listings on Google's newspaper archive, and I finally found an issue of -- that's right -- the Beaver County Times, which noted that he appeared on the Dec 11 episode. That's also the date Jewel of the Nile premiered, so good enough for me, unless we get some conclusive evidence otherwise.

So many papers only have selected issues scanned, so I was delighted to finally find that particular listing. The time I wasted, I tell you...
I asked Rocky himself, to no avail!
Sister Carol never responded to my email, and "Carolyn Kennedy" proved impossible to Google.
Mike Day's second game was on Youtube, but I discovered it was gone when researching this post. That's got an airdate a little easier to figure out, since Mike posted at length about his appearances.
You're breakin' my heart, man.

-M
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: The video we have of that episode includes a commercial for an episode of Entertainment Tonight in which Michael Douglas is interviewed regarding his new movie The Jewel of the Nile. I spent hours looking through scanned TV listings on Google's newspaper archive, and I finally found an issue of -- that's right -- the Beaver County Times, which noted that he appeared on the Dec 11 episode. That's also the date Jewel of the Nile premiered, so good enough for me, unless we get some conclusive evidence otherwise.

So many papers only have selected issues scanned, so I was delighted to finally find that particular listing. The time I wasted, I tell you...
I've seen that episode with that commercial on Youtube, and figured that was the key. Good job finding the lock that it opens!
You're breakin' my heart, man.

-M
I found it on Myspace.
http://www.myspace.com/video/jennings/j ... /105579679
http://www.myspace.com/video/jennings/j ... /105580352
http://www.myspace.com/video/jennings/j ... /105580166

That account has uploaded a lot of game show videos.
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

Insert laugh at MySpace here.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

How can I possibly be the man if you're the man?

A little poking around in the Google cache of the old Board has shown me that Mike Day's shows aired April 9, 10, 11, 12 and 15. So this is April 10, 1985. (April 12 was his infamous one-player-FJ game.)

-M
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Also, so that nobody has to duplicate work I've already done, I believe Monte's last name is Wasch. http://askmonte.com/id3.html Info on that page (particularly the bit about playing piano) goes well with what we know about him from the episode.

One question I don't have an answer for is why the three players' names are written in the same handwriting.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote: One question I don't have an answer for is why the three players' names are written in the same handwriting.
I haven't seen many games from that era, is it possible that the players didn't always write their own names? Or if they did, could it be that they were asked to print their names in large block letters, so that it appears they were all written by the same person? If neither of those is the case, and other games featured player names written in drastically different handwriting, then I guess it is indeed a mystery.

I also noticed in watching that episode that when the show came back for the interviews mid-J! round, Alex pointed out that he had mistakenly given control of the board to the wrong player, so Mimi was given control after the break. Are there other known instances of this happening over the past 20+ seasons, or were mistakes like that more common in the early years?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

jeff6286 wrote:
seaborgium wrote: I also noticed in watching that episode that when the show came back for the interviews mid-J! round, Alex pointed out that he had mistakenly given control of the board to the wrong player, so Mimi was given control after the break. Are there other known instances of this happening over the past 20+ seasons, or were mistakes like that more common in the early years?
I'd call it "not uncommon".

-M