Wednesday, September 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31 right.

Jesus (0), Gray (1), Celeb (3), Super (3), "Men" (4), Ed (2)
NYT (3), Paint (2), Crime (2), "C" Sci (3), Pro/Band (4), 2 Letter (4)

Lach Trash: "Maria Montessori", "coniferous", "Blues"

I went with Ghana as well, but knew U Thant was from Burma/Myanmar.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Re: Matt, I'm not sure whether I like him or not. I tend to like more enthusiastic contestants, but on the other hand, it's fun to imagine how many games this guy is going to win (and also, I'd like to see him play Alex Jacob). The "BOOM!" moment was actually one of my favorite things I've seen him do. When a contestant who shows almost no emotion is that elated after a Daily Double, well, it's fun to see.

LT: heather grey, conifer, cretaceous

I'm really fearing for my Final Jeopardy! record after these first few weeks. I can't seem to catch a break.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Dithered a bit over this FJ but the 55m pushed me to Burma, when they revealed Matt's response I thought "O Heck I shoulda put Ghana!" LOL Gosh he's fast!
Gosh, "Iceland"?! I suppose that's having recalled dimly that some Secretaries were Nordic... guessing. FYI TPH, this is a fav cat that just keeps coming back:
Spoiler
Current Sec-Gen UN: Ban Ki-moon, S. Korea; from UN official page; http://www.un.org/sg/formersgs.shtml

Former secretaries-general

Under the Charter, the Secretary-General is appointed by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Security Council. Mr. Ban's predecessors as Secretary-General were: Kofi Annan (Ghana) who held office from January 1997 to December 2006; Boutros Boutros-Ghali (Egypt), who held office from January 1992 to December 1996; Javier Pèrez de Cuèllar (Peru), who served from January 1982 to December 1991; Kurt Waldheim (Austria), who held office from January 1972 to December 1981; U Thant (Burma, now Myanmar), who served from November 1961, when he was appointed acting Secretary-General (he was formally appointed Secretary-General in November 1962) to December 1971; Dag Hammarskjöld (Sweden), who served from April 1953 until his death in a plane crash in Africa in September 1961; and Trygve Lie (Norway), who held office from February 1946 to his resignation in November 1952.
43R, LT: coniferous, cretaceous, blues, panda (AT mentioned that two were born, omitting that one died shortly after), Mount of Olives, Montessori school (Rome 1906), teaching to TEST (4ltrs), heather gray; notably the shades of gray cat showed up again and I hit all five this time, it's def recurring (Ash/Oyster/slate/heather/battleship this iteration!)

I reckon Matt woulda smashed me even with picking up the LT and getting FJ right, he's so fast I wouldn't beat the buzzer on most of these clues, I'm afraid he would've runaway regardless. :|
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

goatman wrote:43R, LT: ... Montessori school (Rome 1906),
That one they would have given you.
goatman wrote:teaching to TEST (4ltrs)
That one, they wouldn't.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I must be the only boardie who didn't notice the "Boom!" I must pay far less attention to the contestants' behavior than anyone else!
No one got "Blues"? There's a tremendous difference in sports knowledge between regular J! contestants and Sports J! contestants (although there's some overlap).
$27,600 (33 R, 1 W). I guessed Mt. Sinai on the DD and would've lost all my money. It really looked like Bookman was going to win at the beginning, but he never recovered after the missed TDD. He kept getting beaten on the buzzer.
I don't know of too many Secretary-Generals, so I looked at the "55 million" TOM and thought about countries with that population. I went with Ukraine, but it turns out their population isn't quite as high and they haven't produced any Secretary-Generals.
Hoping for a third lap
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

sarisson wrote:I must be the only boardie who didn't notice the "Boom!"
Nope. Definitely not.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

goatman wrote:Dithered a bit over this FJ but the 55m pushed me to Burma, when they revealed Matt's response I thought "O Heck I shoulda put Ghana!" LOL Gosh he's fast!
Gosh, "Iceland"?! I suppose that's having recalled dimly that some Secretaries were Nordic... guessing. FYI TPH, this is a fav cat that just keeps coming back:
Spoiler
Current Sec-Gen UN: Ban Ki-moon, S. Korea; from UN official page; http://www.un.org/sg/formersgs.shtml

Former secretaries-general

Under the Charter, the Secretary-General is appointed by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Security Council. Mr. Ban's predecessors as Secretary-General were: Kofi Annan (Ghana) who held office from January 1997 to December 2006; Boutros Boutros-Ghali (Egypt), who held office from January 1992 to December 1996; Javier Pèrez de Cuèllar (Peru), who served from January 1982 to December 1991; Kurt Waldheim (Austria), who held office from January 1972 to December 1981; U Thant (Burma, now Myanmar), who served from November 1961, when he was appointed acting Secretary-General (he was formally appointed Secretary-General in November 1962) to December 1971; Dag Hammarskjöld (Sweden), who served from April 1953 until his death in a plane crash in Africa in September 1961; and Trygve Lie (Norway), who held office from February 1946 to his resignation in November 1952.
Plus they all have fun names to say. "Javier Pèrez de Cuèllar" just rolls off the tongue.
Greg Vinton
Lost to Matt Jackson; Wasn't a Runaway

Post by Greg Vinton »

I guess Blues is technically Lach trash, but if you are scoring at home I'd put an asterisk by it. Alex initially ruled Dennis correct, but the judges interjected. They decided to retape it to make it look like Alex called it wrong the first time, but the other two contestants never had a chance at it.

Not that that clue made much of a difference, Matt dominated yet again. Tomorrow it's my turn to see if I can knock him off, or at least keep it from being a runaway...I'm getting tired of watching those.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Devilish FJ. It took knowing the country of origin of all 8 Secretaries-General - a pretty esoteric bit of knowledge. Then, trying to figure out which countries had 55 million people; assuming you knew the 8 countries, it's pretty easy to eliminate the European ones ("Iceland??"), but a toss up between the rest. And anyone who says that they know which of the eight countries had never been elected to the Security Council -I'd call shenanigans.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

corvo wrote:OK, I can see why many don't like Matt. That "Boom!" was pretty embarrassing and groan-worthy.

That said, a terrific win.
That "Boom!" was a humanizing moment that helped me warm up to him a little. Especially considering that was one nasty DD.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

bpmod wrote:
sarisson wrote:I must be the only boardie who didn't notice the "Boom!"
Nope. Definitely not.

Brian
I missed it as well.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:
goatman wrote:43R, LT: ... Montessori school (Rome 1906),
That one they would have given you.
goatman wrote:teaching to TEST (4ltrs)
That one, they wouldn't.
I think it was 4 words, not 4 letters. Teaching to the test. Bad clue in my opinion.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

sarisson wrote:No one got "Blues"? There's a tremendous difference in sports knowledge between regular J! contestants and Sports J! contestants (although there's some overlap).
I am going to guess Alex rushed to accept it, and then they retaped it with him rejecting it, and no one was allowed to rebound.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

opusthepenguin wrote:
corvo wrote:OK, I can see why many don't like Matt. That "Boom!" was pretty embarrassing and groan-worthy.

That said, a terrific win.
That "Boom!" was a humanizing moment that helped me warm up to him a little. Especially considering that was one nasty DD.
Compared to Mount of Olives, it was merciful and charitable.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I pre-called the Eagles would come up in the Pro Sports Team/Band category.

If there were such a thing as a plus/minus statistic on FJ scoring, Matt is currently at minus $11,000. I gotta believe that is going to come up the longer he plays, but it curiously doesn't reflect how good of a player he is.
Has anyone ever compiled statistics for this aspect on multi-game J! Champions?
Last edited by Category 13 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

TenPoundHammer wrote:4/5 in "Men", "2 Letters", and "'C' in Science", missing Norsemen, Cretaceous (couldn't quite get it out of my mouth in time), and gambol (NHOI), but I ran Jesus.

Lach Trash: Mount of Olives, Blues, coniferou.

Also bit with the Costco negbait on Superlative for $400. To me, "retailer" means brick and mortar.

NHO that austerity thing in NYT for $400. The panda clue also seemed like one of those "recent news at the time of taping, totally forgotten by the time of airing" things.

No guess on FJ! This seems like one of those completely random intersections of facts that I feel has no gain for getting right, as I pointed out in this game.

"...but I ran Jesus" - love it

And I had the same reaction to "retailer."
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,000
43 R/2 W
DD: 2/3; forgot about Macau and went with Taiwan instead
FJ: :( ; my money would've been a Ghana
LT: Mount of Olives (DD), teach to the test, Amazon, coniferous, Rockets, Blues (though, as gnash points out, this was likely not true trash)

I totally forgot about the Burmese secretary-general. U Thant do that and expect to win.

Embarrassing miss: I guessed "education" rather than "curriculum," then looked up and saw the category. Doh!

That Matt Jackson, he knows some stuff.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Another FJ, another 'oooh, so close...' I figured it was whatever country U Thant hailed from...so of course I couldn't remember it. :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
ÕώÕ
Contributor

Post by ÕώÕ »

Finally, somebody who doesn't have to be lucky to win. Last person to win 5+ games without a Lucky Win was Alex Jacob, I believe, dominating the game pretty well. Don't get me wrong, Just because you have a lucky win doesn't make you a bad player. Brad Rutter has had about 4 or 5 in his 4,000,000 experience. I just find them annoying for some reason, because I'm biased.

First, there are the obvious Come From Behind wins, so Scott Lord is kicked off, he had 2. Andrew Haringer is also kicked off, having 4.

Brennan Bushee got lucky with a Competitor getting the last clue, which was the Daily Double. She needed to wager $2,401, but she bet $2,000. Plus Brennan threw away his 6th win after that.

Dan Fietel has a strange case, his wager from game 1 of $13,799 would have dropped him into 3rd for no reason had he missed, so that was a Lucky Win also.

Greg Seroka, although his first 5 wins would have gotten him in the TOC, his last 2 were kinda lucky. His 6th game, Robert missed a $6,000 DD. They both missed FJ, so Greg actually would have lost from the lead had Robert got the DD. Greg's 7th win, he was in the lead by $100, and Chris failed to regain his lead for FJ!.

And that leaves Alex Jacob. 100% leading, no DD mishaps.
ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

BTW I don't think FJ was that difficult to suss.

You do have to recall fairly readily the Secretaries-General. If you can then you can knock out some very obvious ones, like the Swedish guy and the Norwegian guy, since those countries have nowhere near the population needed.

But if you don't know Egypt has around 80 million people, how do you eliminate it? Or South Korea, which has 50 million or so?

Well, keep in mind that the non-permanent members are elected on a regional basis, so that each region gets so big a say at the council.

Myanmar is in a very big region. Also, no one likes them. They don't really much care for anyone, either. This obviously wasn't the case when U Thant was around, but this began to change in the 60s when U Nu (not making that up) was toppled. While we think of Myanmar as this hermit state going on 25 years at this point, it was a junta government well before that and had difficulties in international relations.

Meanwhile South Korea, Ghana, Peru, and Egypt... all countries who have had their share of police states and strongman leaders and such, have also made moves toward more open and democratic governments... and have gotten along with their colleagues at the UN. Venezuela is on the current council and it is hardly a democracy... but it has quite a following among other countries and was elected easily. Myanmar? No one likes them.