Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by periwinkle »

Big congratulations to Katie!! Very very well played. We cheered for you. Look forward to seeing you tonight.

Joon, sorry to see you go -- you had an amazing run and were so much fun to watch -- but we're excited to see you in the TOC soon! (And yes, as someone else said, please tell us how long you had between taping this show and taping the TOC.) I've really enjoyed your comments here.
jeff6286 wrote:Did anyone else wonder what the proper names were of the Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan attractions at Disneyland? They are technically known as the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan's Flight. I hesitated on both questions, wondering if the intended answer would be the actual name of the attraction, rather than simply the name of the main character featured in the attraction, but I guess I needn't have worried.
Yes, I had the same concern. If I'd been on the show, I would not have buzzed in for the first one.

When the Winklevoss twins appeared (or was that yesterday? sorry if I've got the wrong day!), I said The Winklevii. Probably would've said that on the show and been negged, unless I had a moment to think -- that's how Zuckerberg refers to them in the movie, and people on another board I read always use it.

Katie, I love that you named your daughter after the Tolkien flower! (The one Sam used for his?) I always thought of doing that (became a moot point as we have a niece with almost the same name, and also we have no daughter).
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

periwinkle wrote:Joon, sorry to see you go -- you had an amazing run and were so much fun to watch -- but we're excited to see you in the TOC soon! (And yes, as someone else said, please tell us how long you had between taping this show and taping the TOC.)
let me see if i can reconstruct it... my original tape dates were aug 23-24. i came back to tape again aug 29 for this week's shows. the ToC was sep 26-27. so i had a month off. the reason i had a stunned look when alex mentioned it is just because i hadn't been thinking about it at all. i was in the moment, i was getting ready to congratulate katie on her win, and then he started talking about me. just slightly taken aback. i had actually already known about the tape dates for the ToC. even on my first day of taping, maggie had said, "we're near the end of a ToC cycle, so if you win 4+ games, start clearing your schedule for late september." then when i did indeed win 4+ games the next day, she reminded me again. so i already knew that was going to happen. but it had gone completely out of my head during the actual play of the game.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

katiedidwhat wrote:
I'm wondering, since you were in Southern California, did you visit Disneyland while you were there?
As much as I wanted to, we did not. My husband came along, and 1-day tickets for two people, plus the expense of getting there since we didn't rent a car, meant that Disneyland was not feasible. Maybe someday...
Oooh -- spoiler? :)

Congratulations to Katie for playing such a solid game and to Joon for being the threat she had to overcome.

Joon, you had a great, great run, and you looked good while doing it. And I had already thought two weeks ago that the ToC field was unusually strong! Now it's like . . . these go to 11!

Katie, you were such a Boardie out there! Totally collected, aggressive, and at ease; you played like it was your 4th game. Of course it had to help having Leigh snatch up all three DD golden apples (then drop each one with barely a nibble taken out), but that just opened the door for your grand entrance. Good retroluck tonight!

Rex
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote:I knew it was the first century BC, just thought he should have at least gotten a BMS on that one.

Disagree. If you refer to "the twentieth century," according to common conventions of the language you are referring to the twentieth century AD, and if you mean twentieth century BC you must add the "BC" to distinguish it. His answer was not simply not specific enough; it was simply wrong.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

Are you sure Joon will be in this TOC? It's less than a month away and I don't remember there being any people play in the TOC this close to the time they won. Will he be in this one or will he have to wait until the 2012/2013 TOC?
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

kingskip wrote:Are you sure Joon will be in this TOC? It's less than a month away and I don't remember there being any people play in the TOC this close to the time they won. Will he be in this one or will he have to wait until the 2012/2013 TOC?
i'm sure. ;)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jpahk wrote:i'm sure. ;)
The funny thing is that that smiley bears a resemblance to your avatar, Joon!
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

kingskip wrote:Are you sure Joon will be in this TOC? It's less than a month away and I don't remember there being any people play in the TOC this close to the time they won. Will he be in this one or will he have to wait until the 2012/2013 TOC?
In 2007 Paul Glaser lost his 6th game on a Friday and the ToC in which he appeared started the following Monday. Can't get any closer than that!

Rex
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Did anyone else wonder what the proper names were of the Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan attractions at Disneyland? They are technically known as the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan's Flight. I hesitated on both questions, wondering if the intended answer would be the actual name of the attraction, rather than simply the name of the main character featured in the attraction, but I guess I needn't have worried.
That's what kept me quiet on them. I mean, it asked for the ride name, not what it was inspired by. I think they were being really generous. (Admittedly it's a pretty obscure category...but still...)
dhkendall wrote:(I think we have it because one of my wife's favourite songs, "Zip-a-de-doo-dah" is on there (I once bought her a tape of Song of the South for her birthday for that song, that is actually a *lot* harder to do than you think!))
Come on, Disney, if you can release your WW2 cartoons you can release Song of the South! (Go on, watch Der Fuhrer's Face. You haven't lived til you see Donald Duck Sieg Heil! Oh, and somehow Peter Pan gets a pass too in all of this?!)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Ryan
Contributor

Post by Ryan »

Volante wrote:
jeff6286 wrote: Did anyone else wonder what the proper names were of the Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan attractions at Disneyland? They are technically known as the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Peter Pan's Flight. I hesitated on both questions, wondering if the intended answer would be the actual name of the attraction, rather than simply the name of the main character featured in the attraction, but I guess I needn't have worried.
That's what kept me quiet on them. I mean, it asked for the ride name, not what it was inspired by. I think they were being really generous. (Admittedly it's a pretty obscure category...but still...)
Is this a case where the names by which things are commonly known are acceptable? "Alice in Wonderland" is always accepted even though the book title is "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland".
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

earendel wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I knew it was the first century BC, just thought he should have at least gotten a BMS on that one.
I thought so also, particularly since the other contestant was given a BMS when she said "Bell" for the cheese question.
I agree. At first I wondered if Joon fell victim to the slight double standard that exists, at least in my imagination. I think strong, multi-game winning contestants get fewer breaks in those kinds of rulings. (I still think anyone other than Ken Jennings would have gotten a reversal of judgment for "What is a ho(e)?" Maybe that was discussed to death long before I showed up here.)

But now I'm thinking the clue writers must have anticipated the possibility that someone would say "first century" without the "BC". So Alex was probably following the instructions on his card based on a pre-made decision. Or not.

I was kind of surprised that Leigh got the BMS for "Bel(l)". If I'm not imagining the double standard, maybe Joon wouldn't have. I mean, look at the clue: "Fromagerie Bel produces the little wheels called mini this, also a nickname for a type of telecom company". The correct response can't just be to stick a "What is" in front of a word that's already in the clue.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

Volante wrote:
dhkendall wrote:(I think we have it because one of my wife's favourite songs, "Zip-a-de-doo-dah" is on there (I once bought her a tape of Song of the South for her birthday for that song, that is actually a *lot* harder to do than you think!))
Come on, Disney, if you can release your WW2 cartoons you can release Song of the South! (Go on, watch Der Fuhrer's Face. You haven't lived til you see Donald Duck Sieg Heil! Oh, and somehow Peter Pan gets a pass too in all of this?!)
I'm not sure Peter Pan gets a "pass" -- "What Makes the Red Man Red?" is always cut out of any mass distribution, for obvious and justifiable reasons. And those crows from Dumbo? I had never seen it until I watched it with my kids; if there was stuff they cut out, I'm not sure I want to see that footage.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

periwinkle wrote:Katie, I love that you named your daughter after the Tolkien flower! (The one Sam used for his?)
That's the one. Although with an extra "e" so I could plausibly pass it off as after a queen of both England and France. Really I'd love to name a daughter Eowyn, but that's going a bit too far, no?
Rex Kramer wrote:Oooh -- spoiler? :)
No, just practicality. The thought of flying across the country with three children under the age of 8 -- who have never been on a plane at all -- fills me with dread. Maybe when they're older.
Volante

Post by Volante »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote: I'm not sure Peter Pan gets a "pass" -- "What Makes the Red Man Red?" is always cut out of any mass distribution, for obvious and justifiable reasons. And those crows from Dumbo? I had never seen it until I watched it with my kids; if there was stuff they cut out, I'm not sure I want to see that footage.
That song's in the DVD version I have. Don't know if I've ever heard of it being cut from home video...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
There's a difference between making light of the (evil) Nazis and portraying African-*Americans* in a clearly subservient role ...

(And yes, I've seen Der Fuhrer's Face clips on YouTube. Great stuff!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

jpahk wrote:
alietr wrote:(I wish I hadn't started this since it's gone on far longer than I anticipated) J(oon)! Round
well, you could switch it up since today's game also has katie.

non-spoilery preview: see if you can guess the correct FJ response from the category alone. i did it on the actual show (though of course i didn't write anything down until the clue came up).
I actually pre-guessed Jefferson City MO and Thomas Hart Benton. Way to go Katie. Bon chance Joon.
Last edited by LeFlaneur on Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Le Flaneur
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Boston might have been a good precall. An art museum there might have a lot of Revolutionary War type art.

I'll withdraw my appeal on Joon's neg.

My son had the Peter Pan tape when he was younger....very un-pc to say the least.
Volante

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote: There's a difference between making light of the (evil) Nazis and portraying African-*Americans* in a clearly subservient role ...

(And yes, I've seen Der Fuhrer's Face clips on YouTube. Great stuff!)
If you've got Netflix...check out the discs for Disney's "On the Front Lines" collection. They have Leonard Maltin introduce each of the four controversial WW2 clips with historic context. I don't doubt they could do the exact same thing for Song of the South.

Limited run, aim it to collectors, something, anything! But ignoring history doesn't change what's been done. Just one of the things that grinds my gears...films being ignored and left to rot.
Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Suze »

I think if you're into art, the category wasn't an easy precall. I can think of several state capitals with notable art connections. Boston was the first place that came to mind when I saw the category.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

boston never occurred to me, even though i've been to the MFA here many times. maybe it's because i feel like if they had asked about boston, the category would have just been "art" or "art museums" instead of "art and state capitals", whereas santa fe (or indeed, jefferson city) seems like a more natural fit in a category that's (half) about state capitals.