Benoy Chacko

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Benoy Chacko

Post by legendneverdies »

As per a post on gameshownewsnet.com, 1994 J! College CHampionship competitor Benoy Chacko was found dead on the train tracks in Rockville, MD on October 1. He was 37. Cause of death not known as yet. He'd taped an episode of BAM that was supposed to air this past MOnday, but has been postponed until later in the season due to
alietr
Site Admin

Re: Benoy Chacko

Post by alietr »

Ouch. I had seen this in the paper since it's nearby, but had no idea who it was. Sad.
legendneverdies

Only the first QF game from the 1994 college championship has been J-archived. I don't remember if the made the semis or the finals. Jeff Stewart won the tourney that year.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

jay rhee, who i had the pleasure of getting to know at the ToC, was a college quizbowl teammate and close friend of benoy chacko at michigan. he was devastated when he heard the news, and we all shared a little bit in his sadness. i didn't know benoy, but it's a tragedy when a brilliant and beloved human being dies in the prime of life. RIP.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

He only played in a quarterfinal game in the 1994 College Tournament, but 3 years later in 1997, Craig Barker won the Tournament and he was from the same school as Benoy Chacko, University of Michigan. I wonder if they ever met?
mmb5
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by mmb5 »

They did know each other. There was an interesting happenstance for a tournament in 1997 where Michigan had entered three teams but due to weather problems, all but 3 players were delayed in arrival. 2 of the 3 that did make it in time were Benoy and Craig. By chance Michigan A (with Benoy) was playing Michigan C (with Craig) in the opening match, so that game ended up being Benoy vs. Craig.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Two articles about him, including that he had taped Millionaire before his death (they have postponed airing it until next year according to the Bored):

http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/ ... -game-show

http://www.wusa9.com/news/article/17070 ... ious-Death
rjz123
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by rjz123 »

he was my uncle but i never got to meet him :( , but i know he would have been a real kind and caring guy.
legendneverdies

The season finale of WWTBAM is on 6/1. There's 12 episodes left. Anyone know if his shows will be seen in the next 12 days or not, of it his next of kin will get his winnings?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

legendneverdies wrote:The season finale of WWTBAM is on 6/1. There's 12 episodes left. Anyone know if his shows will be seen in the next 12 days or not, of it his next of kin will get his winnings?
They've aired the week of shows he was on (or at least contestants from that week). His game did not air. I don't know why.

-3M
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:The season finale of WWTBAM is on 6/1. There's 12 episodes left. Anyone know if his shows will be seen in the next 12 days or not, of it his next of kin will get his winnings?
They've aired the week of shows he was on (or at least contestants from that week). His game did not air. I don't know why.

-3M
But we can probably guess what it is - the family declined to have his episode air. Who would blame them? Could you imagine getting a phone call like "We saw Benoy on TV, what's up with him?" and you're left to break the bad news?
legendneverdies

But whether DIsney and Co. would be willing to give Benoy's relatives the money or not is not known.