Monday, November 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, November 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:I know a certain boardie who was almost certainly (or will be, going forward) rooting against Marcus for not knowing not only Bouton, but Honus Wagner.
Me and Mark both. :)
I knew Bouton. I've read the book. But in the moment, my brain froze and I kept thinking Jim Balfour and knowing that was wrong. I'd have guessed Honus Wagner on a DD, but there's no way I'd have rung in.
Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fleeboy »

floridagator wrote: You really know your TV trivia if you know that the book Ball Four was made into a TV comedy series in 1976 starring Jim Bouton. It ran about four episodes on, of all networks, CBS.
I'm a huge Bouton fan, but that series was unwatchable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ysr3RIHl10
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Nice! I knew all the Bouton info up to the TV show. Love this board; always adding more trivial to the trivia. :D
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Greek only has one word for both turtle and tortoise, χελώνα (chelone). Looking this up, I also discovered Chelone is the Greek goddess of lateness.
Thank you. This was reminding me of assertions that Jonah wasn't swallowed by a whale but by a large fish. Just because we make a distinction, doesn't mean an ancient language (or even a modern language) does. We tend to think there's something real and non-arbitrary about our classifications, especially when they bear the stamp of Science.

I do agree that some version of "We'll accept that" might have been expected here. Not necessary, of course; just expected.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Roland wrote:Oh my God.

I post here like 4 times a year and it's in the wake of games like that.
One more reason to hope we don't have more games like that, I suppose.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote:There were some really bad guesses by Marcus's opponents, continuing the pattern from last week. Butterflies a mammal? "Alliteration" in a category that asked for 6-letter words? Persephone a god of the underworld?
What's the prob on that last one? The contestant just misunderstood the clue. It referenced Persephone, goddess and queen of the underworld. But the "this" in the clue referred to Pluto. I made the same mistake.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

grindcore wrote:Katie's wager vs. Marcus' answer. Which made you slap your forehead the hardest?
EXACTLY the question I asked myself as I left the room, grumbling.

When I saw this FJ clue I literally asked myself: "Seriously? Is this Kids Week?" No way could any self-respecting J! wannabe not be all over this.

And yet, Marcus not only doesn't know the highest mountains in the world are in Nepal, but thinks Tibet is a nation.

And Katie? Well maybe someone else can figure out her wager. I can't.

And the litany of poorly-played games just keeps on keepin' on.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:There were some really bad guesses by Marcus's opponents, continuing the pattern from last week. Butterflies a mammal? "Alliteration" in a category that asked for 6-letter words? Persephone a god of the underworld?
What's the prob on that last one? The contestant just misunderstood the clue. It referenced Persephone, goddess and queen of the underworld. But the "this" in the clue referred to Pluto. I made the same mistake.
The clue asked for a "god," not a goddesss, and Persephone is female. And although she was a goddess, it was of vegetation, not the underworld.

Hades / Pluto as god of the underworld is Pavlovian.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
The clue asked for a "god," not a goddesss, and Persephone is female. And although she was a goddess, it was of vegetation, not the underworld.

Was I not clear or did you not read what I wrote?
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

China/Tibet was a very plausible response, but I figured if that was correct, they wouldn't use that clue and invite controversy and another Sony hack. So Nepal had to be it.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

Was I not clear or did you not read what I wrote?
What was the wording of the clue?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dlbookman
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by dlbookman »

Greg Vinton wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:What kind of world do we live in where Marcus can win despite flubbing FJ in a crush game and his opponent getting it right, while other contestants had to go up against Matt Jackson?
Indeed. Sigh.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

stevo4212 wrote:Did you guys get Avenida Presidente Masaryk? What an interesting gloss over of history. Do you know who Masaryk is? Not a Mexican President, but the First Czech President. Somehow, the street became named for a statue given to Mexico of the first Czech president. Now, of course, the street is just known for shopping. According to Wikipedia, the statue was donated to Mexico City in 1999. Does someone know the history surrounding this incident?

Impressive that someone in a cast did that well on Jeopardy? According to Prisoner of Trebekistan, it would seem you need to be in top physical condition to win buzzer races on this game.
In the comfort of the family room, I spat out Mexico City, which surprised Mrs. OS. I somehow had heard of it but I don't know when. Unless the game situation demanded it, I wouldn't have rung in.
opusthepenguin wrote:
econgator wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:I know a certain boardie who was almost certainly (or will be, going forward) rooting against Marcus for not knowing not only Bouton, but Honus Wagner.
Me and Mark both. :)
I knew Bouton. I've read the book. But in the moment, my brain froze and I kept thinking Jim Balfour and knowing that was wrong. I'd have guessed Honus Wagner on a DD, but there's no way I'd have rung in.
Don't feel bad. My bad response was Bunning.
OCSam
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: I don't think anyone said that it was justifiable - just that her motive (however confused) can be deduced and that it was not a number plucked out of thin air.
Thank you. That's exactly what I was saying.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

stevo4212 wrote:Did you guys get Avenida Presidente Masaryk? What an interesting gloss over of history. Do you know who Masaryk is? Not a Mexican President, but the First Czech President. Somehow, the street became named for a statue given to Mexico of the first Czech president. Now, of course, the street is just known for shopping. According to Wikipedia, the statue was donated to Mexico City in 1999. Does someone know the history surrounding this incident?

Impressive that someone in a cast did that well on Jeopardy? According to Prisoner of Trebekistan, it would seem you need to be in top physical condition to win buzzer races on this game.
I figured the key to this one (especially being at the $2000 level) was knowing what country Masaryk was president of. Was wracking my brain and couldn't come up with it, but I know that if I knew he was Czech I would have rung in with Prague no hesitation, since I can see that having a famous shopping street. Dodged a bullet there.

I'm assuming that just "DuPont" is sufficient for the stamp owner? Because I couldn't remember his first name.

There was an insanely easy why-is-this-at-$2000-level clue I thought would be mentioned here, I'll have to check when I'm back home. (Snuck in yesterday's J! between coming home from work and heading out again 1/2 hour later. Yes I'm extremely busy lately).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

kprather895 wrote:
Stanislaus Jacob wrote: I don't think anyone said that it was justifiable - just that her motive (however confused) can be deduced and that it was not a number plucked out of thin air.
Thank you. That's exactly what I was saying.
Her motive for throwing the game away can only be guessed, not deduced. She had to know that the game wasn't a runaway.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Ugh Alex noted that Marcus won because of savvy wagering at the start of Tuesday's show.
Roland
Contributor

Post by Roland »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Roland wrote:Oh my God.

I post here like 4 times a year and it's in the wake of games like that.
One more reason to hope we don't have more games like that, I suppose.
Exactly, I hate when I have to do it.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

JonathanHenke wrote:
Golf wrote:Everest straddles the Nepal Tibet border and there is a route to the summit accessible from the Tibetan side. For many years, that was the only way to the top. It's by far from the worst answer in the world.
Exactly. I thought Tibet was a very reasonable guess. It's in the Himalayas, and we know it has one of the top ten peaks. It just has the slight disadvantage of not being a country.
I'd call Tibet a country just like I'd call Wales or Scotland or Palestine a country. Political independence isn't necessary, nor is believing that it should be politically independent; it's a distinct geographic identity, and that's enough.
Last edited by Euphonium on Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

9021amyers wrote:I've never heard the idiom "as rich as Croesus" before in my life, and evidently, neither has any of today's contestants, so I'm a little cheesed at Alex adding "you've heard the saying" after the buzzer.
That was a DD, maybe the other contestants didn't know it and maybe they did--either way, they wouldn't have had the opportunity to respond.