Monday, November 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, November 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by kprather895 »

nightreign wrote:
nlw44 wrote:All I could think after that was cue the explosion on the Jboard. I am in no way a wagering expert, but it seems to me like you ought to at least try to win the game. Is there any logical reason for her to wager so little, other than very little confidence in her own ability? Perhaps it is all a part and parcel of someone who always wagered $1000 on DDs - just too darn timid.
I think she was trying to cover third and didn't realize that it wasn't enough to win.
This. Her wager put her ahead of Christine by $100 if Christine doubled up. She either thought Marcus had a runaway, or thought that Marcus had some reason to bet more than $3,100. A definite slip on her part, but not an arbitrary wager like some people are making it sound.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT Jerusalem on Movie Heaven for $400?
"Kingdom of Heaven" did it for me...but I've seen it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

kprather895 wrote:
nightreign wrote:
nlw44 wrote:All I could think after that was cue the explosion on the Jboard. I am in no way a wagering expert, but it seems to me like you ought to at least try to win the game. Is there any logical reason for her to wager so little, other than very little confidence in her own ability? Perhaps it is all a part and parcel of someone who always wagered $1000 on DDs - just too darn timid.
I think she was trying to cover third and didn't realize that it wasn't enough to win.
This. Her wager put her ahead of Christine by $100 if Christine doubled up. She either thought Marcus had a runaway, or thought that Marcus had some reason to bet more than $3,100. A definite slip on her part, but not an arbitrary wager like some people are making it sound.
Because it's not like Alex had just said before the commercial break that the game wasn't a runaway. And it's not like someone who can get on "Jeopardy!" should be able to figure out that $8,200 is more than half of $15,400.

There's no rational way to justify Katie's wager.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

hbomb1947 wrote:There's no rational way to justify Katie's wager.
Perhaps she hit her head when she fell and broke her arm?
Roland
Contributor

Post by Roland »

Oh my God.

I post here like 4 times a year and it's in the wake of games like that.

First of all, how does anyone get that FJ wrong it should be a $100 dollar clue from 20 years ago.

Secondly, how is your math that poor? Maybe she has a bone marrow leak into her brain.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

I've never heard the idiom "as rich as Croesus" before in my life, and evidently, neither has any of today's contestants, so I'm a little cheesed at Alex adding "you've heard the saying" after the buzzer.

Also, mint being "good if you live around lots of mosquitoes" made me assume it relieves malaria! (Would that make the mojito Cuba's answer to the gin and tonic?)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Roland wrote:First of all, how does anyone get that FJ wrong it should be a $100 dollar clue from 20 years ago.
I just showed how.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Roland wrote:First of all, how does anyone get that FJ wrong it should be a $100 dollar clue from 20 years ago.
I just showed how.
No, you merely showed how not to get it right.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

hbomb1947 wrote:What kind of world do we live in where Marcus can win despite flubbing FJ in a crush game and his opponent getting it right, while other contestants had to go up against Matt Jackson?
I returned, and saw under the sun,
that the race is not to the swift,
nor the battle to the strong,
neither yet bread to the wise,
nor yet riches to men of understanding,
nor yet favour to men of skill;
but time and chance happeneth to them all.
For man also knoweth not his time:
as the fishes that are taken in an evil net,
and as the birds that are caught in the snare;
so are the sons of men snared in an evil time,
when it falleth suddenly upon them.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

9021amyers wrote:I've never heard the idiom "as rich as Croesus" before in my life, and evidently, neither has any of today's contestants, so I'm a little cheesed at Alex adding "you've heard the saying" after the buzzer.
I've heard "rich as Creosote," but couldn't place the Roundworld inspiration for that character.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

Did you guys get Avenida Presidente Masaryk? What an interesting gloss over of history. Do you know who Masaryk is? Not a Mexican President, but the First Czech President. Somehow, the street became named for a statue given to Mexico of the first Czech president. Now, of course, the street is just known for shopping. According to Wikipedia, the statue was donated to Mexico City in 1999. Does someone know the history surrounding this incident?

Impressive that someone in a cast did that well on Jeopardy? According to Prisoner of Trebekistan, it would seem you need to be in top physical condition to win buzzer races on this game.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

I always thought it was "rich as creases," as if someone were creasing their money.
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

You think Kevin is making a political stance? He recognizes Tibet as a country. Just like I decided always to refer to Myanmar as Burma, lol.
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

dinghammer wrote:Having done all this, [she] sought no second term
TMBG?

FJ: Get -- Immediately went to Nepal, then second guessed thinking "It can't be THAT simple..." But then I mentally ran through the list of the top 10 looking for obviously Hindi or Chinese names, came up blank and went to my first answer.
LT: Ether, Honus Wagner, King John, duffer, bats, elephants
Misses: Alfred the Great (Aethelred), Croesus (Midas)

I'm not a wagering theorist (VIKING SMASH!), but that was the worst wager I've seen in recent memory. And they give you pen and paper to do the math! (Picard facepalm)
@caknuck
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have been out earlier and the MNF game went into overtime, but no way I go to bed without seeing J!
econgator wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:I know a certain boardie who was almost certainly (or will be, going forward) rooting against Marcus for not knowing not only Bouton, but Honus Wagner.
Me and Mark both. :)
Oh you know it. When Marcus did not get duffer my sports radar was put on alert. It was DEFCON 1 by the time it got to the Honus Wagner stumper. As a viewer I can choose who to root for or who to root against. It would have been so sweet to have seen Marcus lose because he did not know sports. Instead Katie let him off the hook.

It's only day one so I will not entertain any thought of Marcus sweeping the week and being in the 20-whenever TOC.

I have such sounds disabled, so even though I'm a stubborn guy still using my AOL email address I do not hear "You got mail."

In the early years of watching J! there would have been a time I did not know Croesus. By 2015 that DD was no problem to complete the run of Aesop.

The FJ! clue had me immediately write Nepal as I knew Himalayas was the place. Tibet, China and India were not going on the paper even as they crossed my mind. Even if I had thought about adding Pakistan to the mix I would not have changed. Bhutan has some Himalayas also? Okay, perhaps I can remember that for some TD game down the road.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $29,200
38 R/2 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: duffer, John DuPont, bats, Honus Wagner

Boy howdy, these contestants keep finding new ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Poor woman! I'm sure she's constantly reliving that one over. At least she knew Nepal. I'm glad the glum person in the middle lost. I've been watching The Last Kingdom on BBC America lately so I knew King Alfred instantly. Jeopardy put a spoiler video of the ToC up tonight.
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

opusthepenguin wrote:
I returned, and saw under the sun,
that the race is not to the swift,
nor the battle to the strong . . .
But, as Ring Lardner observed, that’s the way to bet.
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

hbomb1947 wrote:
kprather895 wrote:
nightreign wrote:
Because it's not like Alex had just said before the commercial break that the game wasn't a runaway. And it's not like someone who can get on "Jeopardy!" should be able to figure out that $8,200 is more than half of $15,400.

There's no rational way to justify Katie's wager.
I don't think anyone said that it was justifiable - just that her motive (however confused) can be deduced and that it was not a number plucked out of thin air.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Alex mixed up altitude and elevation. Measurements on the ground use elevation. Altitude is for aviation.

TS: Jim Bouton, ether.

You really know your TV trivia if you know that the book Ball Four was made into a TV comedy series in 1976 starring Jim Bouton. It ran about four episodes on, of all networks, CBS.

Points to Marcus for not saying Mentos in the affected accent used by the narrator of the commercials.

Clue didn't mention that Ken Dryden was a Canadian parliamentarian and cabinet minister until he got the ax(e) from voters.

I instagot Nepal, but it was lousy wagering.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.