Tuesday, October 18, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6227, 2011-10-18

CONTESTANTS
Liz Greenwood, a graduate student in economics originally from Wyomissing, Pennsylvania
Ray Crosby, a graduate student of Victorian literature originally from Bakersfield, California
Lanny Timan, a business manager from Chicago, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $16,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: All right. Thank you, Johnny, and welcome again, ladies and gentlemen. For the benefit of Liz and Ray, who are the newcomers on our program today, two words that adequately describe our champion Lanny--steady and solid--because that's the way she performed on yesterday's show. What's going to happen today? Different day. Good luck to all three of you. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round. And now we reveal these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
REMEMBER 2008? (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SPORTS BY CHAMPIONS (5/5)
COLOR PLEASE (4/5)
THE 2011 FORTUNE 500 (4/5)
STARTS WITH 3 CONSONANTS (4/5)
EARTHQUAKE! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ray: 13 R (including 3 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Liz: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Lanny: 4 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Ray: $2,600
Liz: $1,600
Lanny: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: You will recall, ladies and gentlemen, on yesterday's program, we were talking with our champion Lanny, about being in a tug-of-war with a monkey. Well, today, as we welcome Liz Greenwood, the first challenger introduced, you have a monkey story also.

Liz: It's true. I traveled to Burma, uh, last year. And I purchased as a souvenir, from a old man in a market, a bottle of alcohol called Special Monkey. And I still haven't drunk it 'cause I'm afraid it might contain monkeys. It has no other words on the label.

Alex: You think this might have been made from monkeys?

Liz: That's what he told me.

Alex: Live or dead? Well, don't even go there. And I won't take you there.

Alex: Ray Crosby, over to you now. You are a graduate student of Victorian literature and you are studying pilgrimage literature. What is the difference?

Ray: Well, pilgrimage literature, uh, can really be from any time period, any part of the world--

Alex: I see.

Ray: --but I'm looking specifically at 19th-century British literature. It's, uh, cultural and imperial travel that uses the--the terms of this formerly religious type of travel.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Lanny Timan is our champion. This woman, ladies and gentlemen, came to the United States not for riches, not for glory. She came to the United States because she wanted to get away from?

Lanny: Piano lessons.

Alex: Of course.

Lanny: Well, my mom had always made me take piano lessons since I was a little kid, and, you know, um, after, uh, the last--last year of high school, um, I was h--very happy because I was doing my final performance, which I thought was gonna be there, and it turns out that my piano teacher recommended to my mom that I take an advanced degree in music. So I thought, okay, the only way I'm really going to escape piano lessons is to get out of the country and go to the U.S. for college.

Alex: Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ray found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Lanny had $1,200, Ray had $6,800, and Liz was at $2,800. Ray wagered $2,800.

REMEMBER 2008? $1000: The World Court prosecutor applied for an arrest warrant against this African country's President Al-Bashir
(Ray: What is Tunisia?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
COLOR PLEASE $800: NASCAR's "one lap to go" flag
(Ray: What is red?)
(Alex: Red, they want you off the course.)

THE 2011 FORTUNE 500 $400: Fannie Mae, No. 5, was delisted by the NYSE; this company, No. 20, got "$64 billion in... bailout money"
(Lanny: What is AIG?)

STARTS WITH 3 CONSONANTS $1000: As a verb, it means to oppose & defeat a plan or effort; as a noun, it's a seat across a boat on which a rower may sit
(Alex: And I had never heard that second definition before. The word is [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Ray: $4,000
Liz: $2,800
Lanny: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WORLD GEOGRAPHY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"OKI" DOKEY (5/5)
FICTION (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CRASHING THE PARTY (2/5)
WHO'S THE TV BOSS? (3/5) (Alex: We'll tell you. You have to give us the name of the actor.)
RANK-LY SPEAKING (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ray: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Lanny: 6 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Liz: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ray snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Lanny had $1,600, Ray had $5,200, and Liz was at $3,600. Ray made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,200.

WORLD GEOGRAPHY $1600: The name of this large port city on Western Europe's Schelde River literally means "at the wharf"
(Ray: What is... Amsterdam?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lanny who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 11th clue. Lanny had $3,200, Ray had $2,800, and Liz was at $5,200. Lanny wagered $1,600.

FICTION $2000: "The House of the Dead" is a fictionalized version of this 19th c. Russian's prison experiences
(Lanny: Who is... Solzhenitsyn?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
RANK-LY SPEAKING $800: In economic terms, free enterprise is also known as this enterprise
(Ray: What is capital?)

CRASHING THE PARTY $800: Discredited by a failed August coup, it went out of business December 25, 1991 (include the country, please)

CRASHING THE PARTY $1200: Split by the slavery issue, it didn't nominate its incumbent, Millard Fillmore, in 1852; it crashed soon after
(Ray: What was the Federalist Party?)
(Liz: What are the Democratic Republicans?)

WHO'S THE TV BOSS? $1200: No-nonsense police Lt. Anita Van Buren
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Liz.)

WHO'S THE TV BOSS? $1600: Cranky lawyer Harriet "Harry" Korn

CRASHING THE PARTY $2000: AKA the States' Rights Democrat Party, this southern splinter group quit whistlin' after Truman beat Dewey
(Ray: What is Dixie? Dixieland Party?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Liz: $7,600
Lanny: $6,800
Ray: $6,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FOREIGN-BORN INVENTORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Evenly spaced scores with two-thirds for first.
Liz: Wager $6,000--wagering any more risks falling behind Lanny's wager of $5,200.
Lanny: While wagering all $6,800 may be a rational possibility, your more optimal choice is to wager $5,200.
Ray: Wager $6,000.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His 1922 New York Times obituary mentions that his patent No. 174,465 "has been called the most valuable patent ever issued"

FINAL SCORES
Ray: $6,000 - $5,998 = $2 (Who is Zales?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Lanny: $6,800 - $5,201 = $1,599 (Who was S. Morse) (2-day co-champion: $17,600)
Liz: $7,600 - $6,001 = $1,599 (Who was Edison?) (New co-champion: $1,599)
(Ray: I thought maybe something with diamonds.)
(Alex: Who was [*]? Born in Scotland.)
[Johnny Gilbert's "Prizes for our second- and third-place contestants provided by Aleve", begun since show #6211, aired 2011-09-26, replaced with "Second place prizing provided by Aleve".]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Ray: $14,000, 23 R, 6 W (including 2 DDs)
Lanny: $8,400, 10 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Liz: $7,600, 15 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $30,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Ray: 23/60 = .383
Liz: 15/58 = .259
Lanny: 10/59 = .169
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
COLOR PLEASE $400: Cornflowers, & cornflower shirts
(Lanny: What is yellow?)

THE 2011 FORTUNE 500 $600: "Bailed out and buffed up", this car co., No. 8, "emerged from bankruptcy with a $20 billion public offering"
(Liz: What is GMC?)

EARTHQUAKE! $800: The August 23, 2011 5.8 quake near D.C. really shook up the scientists in Reston, Virginia at the USGS, short for this
(Liz: What is the United States Geological Service? -es?)

EARTHQUAKE! $1000: Roman emperor Trajan was nearly killed in a 115 A.D. quake in Antioch, now Antakya in this country
(Lanny: What is Syria?)

REMEMBER 2008? $200: Drydock called for this "queenly" vessel, the longest-serving ship in Cunard's history
(Alex: You are right, with less than a minute now.)

REMEMBER 2008? $600: In December this Illinois governor was national news for his sketchy behavior

WORLD GEOGRAPHY $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map of Africa on the monitor.) Extending farther north than any other country in Africa, Tunisia is only about a hundred miles from this European island

"OKI" DOKEY $400: This emergency requiring first aid may include the victim turning blue
(Liz: What is hypothermia?)

"OKI" DOKEY $2000: Seen here is this Japanese mushroom

CRASHING THE PARTY $1600: Internal rivalry split this hyphenated party into 2 new parties in 1824
(Alex: You're right--got in ahead of Liz on that one.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Sudan
white
Freddie Mac
thwart
Antwerp
Dostoyevsky
private
the Communist Party of the Soviet Union
the Whig Party
S. Epatha Merkerson
Kathy Bates
the Dixiecrats
Alexander Graham Bell
blue
GM
the United States Geological Survey
Turkey
the Q.E. 2
Blagojevich
Sicily
choking
enoki
the Democratic-Republicans
ej!fan
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOIL

Post by ej!fan »

A unique ending today. There were co-champions but the 3rd place contestant won more money.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Having been spoiled on the results (thank *you* This Week on jeopardy.com!) I had remembered Lanny tying with Ray to win, which meant that I was shocked/excited to see him go down to $2 in FJ (a tie for first at $2 a piece! That oughta liven up the board!).

So, not being an expert, or even an adequate novice, at wagering theory, who forgot to add for the dollar to prevent the tie?

In FJ was scratching my head, either coming up with inventors that were still alive or already dead by 1922 (or who were American). Latched on "Bell." about 20 seconds in with about 80% confidence. It's always a happy day at chez dhkendall when I beat the smart kids. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

I found this to be a tough board over all, and evidently, so did those who had to play it. On FJ, thought of Marconi first, then remembered that Bell was a Scot.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

WTF? Can we burn the tapes of today's episode (and my performance at home)? Image

Spent 15 seconds thinking "most valuable" was kinda vague, bouncwd around a few ideas concerning precious gems, before I finally gave up, ignored the clue entirely, and WAGged Bell. I'll take it.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Surprised that not one of them came up with the correct response. Even more surprised that not a single one of them came up with a non-American. Did they forget the category?

And since Alex is so fond of correcting contestant's pronunciation, Swansea in Wales is pronounced SWON-zee. :P
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

SkoolRN wrote:I found this to be a tough board over all, and evidently, so did those who had to play it. On FJ, thought of Marconi first, then remembered that Bell was a Scot.
Great minds think alike. Except I precalled Marconi. After I saw the clue, I said, 'Bell?' and never came up with anything better. Was pretty sure he was a Scot, though not 100%. But hey, I'll take it. Odd game. It felt like none of them really got into a rhythm. I appreciated Ray's true DD, though. That takes guts. Too bad it didn't work out for him.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This FJ clue was absolute garbage. The writer who wrote it should be fired. I am dead serious. What a vague, stupid clue. Tesla was my precall and I stuck with him. I also considered Marconi. Bell never came to mind but I would have guessed that he died earlier.

Aside from the FJ clue I actually thought that this was a pretty well-written board. I found it to be a little on the hard side, so I wouldn't fault the contestants for the low scores.

And I think that the writers stole the J! round Daily Double clue from me!!!!
Last edited by StevenH on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

For FJ : Bell came to mind immediately

But really, a big map of the Mediterranean Sea, and they ask for the name of one of the biggest island off Italy?
Or is it just me?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

laubla999 wrote:But really, a big map of the Mediterranean Sea, and they ask for the name of one of the biggest island off Italy?
Or is it just me?
The 2k clue in that category (after using Antwerp as the DD) was Kashmir, when spotted 'India', 'disputed tettitory' and half the state's name. They don't all have to be TOC-worthy, but come ON!
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

mam418 wrote:
SkoolRN wrote:I found this to be a tough board over all, and evidently, so did those who had to play it. On FJ, thought of Marconi first, then remembered that Bell was a Scot.
Great minds think alike. Except I precalled Marconi. After I saw the clue, I said, 'Bell?' and never came up with anything better. Was pretty sure he was a Scot, though not 100%. But hey, I'll take it. Odd game. It felt like none of them really got into a rhythm. I appreciated Ray's true DD, though. That takes guts. Too bad it didn't work out for him.
My only precall was Ed Asner. Which dates me.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

My satellite signal cut out right after the Game of Thrones clue (I'm pretty sure it was the affiliate and not our satellite dish that was the issue, since all the other channels were working, and eventually we got a "technical difficulties" message from DirecTV), so thank you to the Archivists for being quick on the draw today. As it turns out, I had a field day with the other 20 clues I played off the Archive. The boards were definitely not easy to dominate, though, so I don't blame the players for not being able to really get started.

Weird FJ (went for a stab-in-the-dark WAG of Marconi eventually). And crazy ending...how many times has there been a tie at that low a score?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Same here! But still a toss-up since wireless radio is pretty danged valuable too. But then realized, Marconi's was more a discovery than an invention. That's when the bell went off.
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

SkoolRN wrote:
mam418 wrote:
My only precall was Ed Asner. Which dates me.
I felt the same way about the lack of rhythm. It reminded me of my last game; we all had the same problem.
Last edited by SkoolRN on Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casey Stengel.
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

xxaaaxx wrote: The 2k clue in that category (after using Antwerp as the DD) was Kashmir, when spotted 'India', 'disputed tettitory' and half the state's name. They don't all have to be TOC-worthy, but come ON!
I knew what they wanted, but the name wouldn't come out. ;-(

eta : I could only come up with Punjab
Last edited by laubla999 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

ouch, ugly game, culminating in a real s***show of a FJ by all three players, who came up with a total of 0 foreign-born inventors among them (let alone the correct one). and to compound matters, all three miswagered.
dhkendall wrote:So, not being an expert, or even an adequate novice, at wagering theory, who forgot to add for the dollar to prevent the tie?
the problem is that with evenly spaced scores, nobody can afford to add the extra dollar, so they both messed up. it's a complicated situation, but it basically boils down to this: liz needs to bet at least $6000 to cover lanny doubling up. lanny could bet it all to try for a tie on a double-get, but she has a much better shot to win by betting exactly $5200: that would cover ray if they both get it right, but not drop her below liz if both ladies miss. ray, therefore, should bet it all and try to tie lanny on the double-get. as for liz, she can't afford the extra dollar to beat lanny outright, because that would cause her to drop below lanny's optimum bet of $5200 on a double-miss. the wagering calculator agrees with me, without going into as much detail.

ray was pretty handily the best player in this game, and was even in the lead late in DJ after dropping to zero on his DD. i guess it's only fitting that he won the most money.
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

That wasn't even fun to watch for me, and I was hoping Lanny would do well. No one could get into the zone on the buzzer, and other than Fiction for Ray, no one seemed to have an advantage in any one category.

Interested to see how tomorrow goes, with fresh boards for Lanny and Liz.
BruceS
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by BruceS »

Was this the first time that two contestants tied for the win by missing the final Jeopardy question?

Bruce
alamble

Post by alamble »

I had Bell right off the bat and never really considered anyone else, though I must confess, I had it in my head that he was an Englishman, not a Scot. Sometimes it really is better not to overthink.

eta: Loyal Jeopardista? I like it.
Last edited by alamble on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.