Tuesday, November 17, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

African Countries

These 2 6-letter rhyming countries both derive their names from rivers & were both once controlled by Great Britain.
Spoiler
What are Zambia and Gambia? Vaughn and Brennan both had Rwanda/Uganda; Alex had "Aleve".
Vaughn Winchell: $8,000-$8,000=$0

Brennan Bushee: $11,600-$6,000=$5,600

Alex Jacob: $28,200-$0=now a finalist with $28,200
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Re: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by grindcore »

Alex J, you're out of control dude. Practicing with your toilet bowl (for crying out loud Trebek) really helped you out today.

Poor Brennan didn't exactly have the best time during the J! round. We'd have been looking at probably the greatest comeback in history had things kept going his way later on.

I got FJ! after about 33 seconds. But I'm counting it because I'm playing at home and you can tell me not to but I'm not listening. For some reason I was trying to think of countries that bordered each other at first but then when I started going through the rivers (not Nile, not Niger, Zam- OH SHIT ZAMBEZI=ZAMBIA=GAMBIA) it was instant.

I've had a big soft spot for Brennan ever since his original appearance but this game was an all-star affair and I'd have all of you over for dinner in a heartbeat.

I don't care what happens tomorrow, I've got omgwheelhouse taking this sucker.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Note to Archivists account: looks like the DJ Round post wasn't automagically submitted. FYI.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

"Aleve" is only going to be funny to the Jeopardy! nerds, so Alex is not gonna get as many articles written about him as Turd Ferguson or Pansy. Clearly, this was his only goal :D
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

I had Namibia and Libya :(
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Way to go, Alex. That was a dominant performance against two phenomenal players.

Not so much as a guess on FJ.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I first thought of Rwanda/Uganda, and only after I mentally sighed in resignation (knowing it wasn't likely correct), did Zambia/Gambia come to me. I got it in time, but I don't know if I would've come up with it under the bright lights.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Alex played a great game; congrats to him on the win. I had 35 correct responses including two triple stumpers: darning needle and vile vial. I got FJ, but it took me 20-25 seconds and I had just enough time to finish writing the correct response before the think music ended.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Alex was frighteningly good tonight and at the top of his game. I thought this game could go to either of the three; I really thought Vaughn would give Alex a run. Poor Brennan was totally locked out of the J! round but made quite the rally in DJ.

Although I'm rooting for Catherine Hardee Wednesday night, an Alex/Matt showdown in the finals would be one for the ages; I hope Kerry would be able to ring in at all. It would be a very fast paced game, with few errors and lightning speed on the buzzers and rapid-fire requests for clues.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! round.

This will be moved to its proper place.

Brian
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Wow. OMG, even. lol...

I think Alex has spent his time off very productively. He was dominating before, while winning his spot in the TOC. This was well beyond that, IMO, given the quality of his opponents; just a jaw-dropping performance.

It also seems to me he's hyper-focused on what he's doing; no relief or happiness exhibited on either win so far. I don't think he's allowing himself to accept any result short of going all the way, without pausing to savor the path. The only personable moment from him so far was the conversation about the wonderful wedding cake; otherwise, it's all business.

I had 1/2 FJ; I had Zambia, but went with Nambia instead of Gambia, thinking I mis-remembered Namibia. Oops. Had vial/vile also, but a couple of those categories would have left me in the dust.

Reiterating what I said in the prediction thread several weeks ago. Alex takes it all. Sorry, Kerry; I know you're on here and very skillful, and I respect you and Matt both a lot.
Pending...
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Was that a tour de force or what?

Alex, it's a good thing the world knows you're worthy of a fiancee-baked Jeopardy! cake. Otherwise you'd probably be widely suspected of being pure, pure evil. ;) Good job by all, but wow.

I haven't checked the J! Facebook page. Are there a bunch of complaints that the clue was bogus because there is no Zambia River?
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Did anyone else think Alex wagered too much on that final DD? If he got it wrong, and Brennan got enough of the remaining clues right, there was a possibility of Brennan getting more than 2/3 of Alex's score.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

War Eagle, #$%&ers
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Best. Final. Response. Ever.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen a contestant entirely shut out of a round before!

Vaughan, great job - there was a time I thought you would make it a genuine competition. But you met an avalanche.

SavoyGirl wrote:I had Namibia and Libya :(
...neither of which are six letters.

I got Zambia, but didn't remember Gambia in time. Darn. Got Judges and Kings, though.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

Bible (3), Football (5), World (4), "DA" (3), Sauce (1), Bear (3)
Sci (2), History (3), Homophone (2), "A"uthor (3), Ex (5), Ballet (1)

No Lach Trash.

I had Rwanda/Uganda to no avail.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Kudos to Alex on what, in context, may have been his best performance yet. Board historians: When was the last time (if ever) that a TOC player had lock games in both his QF and semifinal matches? Nothing that happened in today's game changed my expectation that Alex will win the whole shebang.

I thought the boards were relatively easy, but I struggled on FJ. I made the mistake of going through countries, and there are just too many of them for that to have been a viable strategy to get to the answer in 30 seconds. So I ended up with the dreaded "What is."

Since I'm in the potential-contestant pool, I think I'm going to adopt Alex's choice of object with which to practice my ringing-in on clues. :)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

hbomb1947 wrote:Kudos to Alex on what, in context, may have been his best performance yet. Board historians: When was the last time (if ever) that a TOC player had lock games in both his QF and semifinal matches?
Looks like the most recent one was Roger Craig in 2011.