Wednesday, December 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

whatisbishkek
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, December 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by whatisbishkek »

What was Joyce thinking with that FJ wager? With a $12,000-$11,400 lead, she decided to wager small, but she wagered just enough that an incorrect response would have dropped her below third place's doubled score by one dollar. One of the most perplexing wagers I've ever seen.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I contacted WDTN and they are unsure of if they're even going to air it in the middle of the night.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Golf wrote: Still scratching my head over the champ's wager. Figure in a couple of hours my head will scab over..... :D
While I don't fault Joyce for trying to outsmart Brad with a shortagey wager, she got it all wrong on the math. She should have tried 400 or 798. Her 801 wager left her vulnerable to Nicole doubling up, along with Brad playing it safe with a 0-199 wager. I would have bet 199 in Brad's position.
Brad's wager completely lacked strategy.

ETA, I had to wait 15 minutes for this post to generate. As soon as I hit submit, it just went into unresponsive mode. Tried opening J-Board on another tab and had the same result.
All other websites worked fine so it wasn't my computer.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Alex unwittingly gave out one of the upcoming responses in the Ship category when he said "Battle Cruiser" before changing it to "Battleship". Bad, Alex.

Also, I did not hear Brad say "What is?" on his (white tailed) Deer response. I was waiting for a reversal but it never came.

I got the Lach Trash on Battleship, Hulls and Ty Cobb. I can't remember if someone came up with Cruiser but I had that also.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Category 13 wrote:ETA, I had to wait 15 minutes for this post to generate. As soon as I hit submit, it just went into unresponsive mode. Tried opening J-Board on another tab and had the same result.
All other websites worked fine so it wasn't my computer.
We had a DoS attack tonight. We blocked the offender, but not before some damage had been done.
Category 13 wrote:Also, I did not hear Brad say "What is?" on his (white tailed) Deer response. I was waiting for a reversal but it never came.

I got the Lach Trash on Battleship, Hulls and Ty Cobb. I can't remember if someone came up with Cruiser but I had that also.
Ditto and almost ditto (I couldn't get battleship out in time, but had the rest).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

There are more preemptive messages on today's game than actual comments (so far). Luckily I got it at regular time - with no DVR, it would be difficult at 2:05am.

Sports fans all over must have lost their voices at Ty Cobb stand-and-stare. As I mentioned in yesterday's game boards, jeopardy.com spoilerized the week for me -- so I know where we are headed this week.

I am surprised they got so many clues covered in DD - I was expecting even less. Full board is becoming a rarity.

As for FJ, I have a vague feeling that they asked for the similar FJ in a recent game, so got it.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

Category 13 wrote:Also, I did not hear Brad say "What is?" on his (white tailed) Deer response. I was waiting for a reversal but it never came.
Same here. I suspect Alex, expecting to hear the word "what" at the beginning of the response, processed "white" as "what" and then blanked over the next word not being "is," and since "deer" alone would have been acceptable he saw nothing wrong with the response he heard. It's strange that it wasn't reversed, though.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

bpmod wrote:We had a DoS attack tonight. We blocked the offender, but not before some damage had been done.

Brian
I noticed this as well. Bravo and thank you for getting rid of whoever did it. I'm wondering who would want to deny JBoard service. Frustrated pool-swimmer? North Korean who confused it with Sony? "Anonymous" trainee?
ACW

Post by ACW »

Golf wrote:A sports category in a game with two female contestants, good luck seeing all five clues.
Dude :roll:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NEWLY INDEPENDENT COUNTRIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Prior to South Sudan, this European country was the most recent one to gain independence & be recognized by the United States

Joyce: 12000+801=12801 (3x = $39,403)
Nicole: 5600+5600=11200
Brad: 11400-5000=6400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Kosovo (Brad had Serbia.)
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

whatisbishkek wrote:
Same here. I suspect Alex, expecting to hear the word "what" at the beginning of the response, processed "white" as "what" and then blanked over the next word not being "is," and since "deer" alone would have been acceptable he saw nothing wrong with the response he heard. It's strange that it wasn't reversed, though.
I heard the "t's" part of "what's," which happens fairly often, although usually a bit more audibly than tonight.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I too noticed him not phrasing the first question of DJ in the form of a question, and figured either he got away with one or the editing was sloppy.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

As you can see from my prior post I was fortunate enough to have the game air as scheduled. Can someone with power copy that post to the 3rd slot on page 1?

With J! airing with no interruptions (other than normal ads), I just need Survivor to run as scheduled and I will be a happy tribesman. Joyce got tonight's Survivor clue and Brad did not know Ty Cobb. I am perfectly pleased with how the FJ! round played out. OnTV.

As for my FJ! round performance, I spent the break trying to recall South Sudan's capital. With a detour to Joba Chamberlain I remembered it was Juba. Oh no, the clue was one of those new European ones. They are a jumble to me and sorting out their timelines is only going to mean embarrassment.

I picked B&H out of the SerbiaMontenegroBosniaHerzegovinaMacedonia pile without even having the right place in contention to go on the paper. Once again I'll look at the U.N. order list and a month from now I still won't be ready for the next such clue.

I rechecked Brad and the white-tailed deer and my guess would be it was a bad edit from the 3-shot to the 1-shot as the players rang in and that Brad's phrasing got cut-off. Perhaps the splicer person mistook white-tailed for phrasing and lopped a touch too much.

If there had been no phrasing whatsoever it's possible Alex could have missed it initially, but Brad would have been busted at some point. As it aired there is no phrasing heard, so viewers were left to anticipate the neg that never arrived.

Joyce is 3/3 on the FJ! clues and 3/6 on the DDs with a 12,466 Coryat avg. For each TOC I always have room for 5 Bronze players. One more win and let the tracking begin.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Kosovo came to mind for me first, but I ended up writing down Montenegro. Turns out Montenegro gained independence in 2006.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I think Kosovo is always a response on those recent nationhood quizzes on sporcle so I got it pretty quickly. I thought it might victim to the terrorist attack coverage but my local NBC station aired it. Each game this week has been better than the previous one.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

ACW wrote:
Golf wrote:A sports category in a game with two female contestants, good luck seeing all five clues.
Dude :roll:
Your eye-roll is seconded, from someone who is definitely female and lives in a home decorated with sports memorabilia. (Granted, almost all women's basketball, but I love me my sports.)
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Joyce is 3/3 on the FJ! clues and 3/6 on the DDs with a 12,466 Coryat avg. For each TOC I always have room for 5 Bronze players. One more win and let the tracking begin.
If she finds herself in anymore crush wagering scenarios like tonight, she could be in trouble. She made a serious calculation error that left her with only one combination to win, and she was fortunate that it fell into place.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Again? Really?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here is the trailer for Shelter with Joyce Hshieh: (going for the Oscar at 1:56) (or Razzie?)
Spoiler
Her IMDb page has one other acting credit: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4910720/?ref_=tt_cl_t1
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Well, this is a bit of good timing!

Over the past week or so, my cable provider informed me that as of December 3, their analog signals (which is what goes into my computer, the TVs are digital) will be converted to digital and require a digital box to work properly. This, however, would mess up my recording of J! as the hardware and software on my computer would need to change the channel autonomously to record a show, of course, and hooking it up to a digital box would take away that ability.

Anyways, because of that I got a PVR on Monday so that I can record Jeopardy! like civilized people do. While setting it up I noticed that I can receive the HD channels through the PVR even though I don't have a HD TV. One of these channels is KHQT Spokane which, I discovered, shows Jeopardy! at 9pm my time (7pm Spokane time). So when I discovered that my regular broadcaster had preempted Jeopardy! for San Bernardino coverage, I decided to try KHQT, figuring that the news coverage would have died down by then, and it did. I have only had this channel for 2 days and it saved my bacon! (Odd thing about it is, it isn't even on the list of channels I'm subscribed to that my cable provider sent me to help configure the PVR, so hopefully it's not a free trial that expires at the end of the month or something)
Category 13 wrote: Also, I did not hear Brad say "What is?" on his (white tailed) Deer response. I was waiting for a reversal but it never came.
Good, I wasn't the only one! First time I've seen that, actually.
MarkBarrett wrote:As you can see from my prior post I was fortunate enough to have the game air as scheduled. Can someone with power copy that post to the 3rd slot on page 1?
Ask and you shall receive.
MarkBarrett wrote:I picked B&H out of the SerbiaMontenegroBosniaHerzegovinaMacedonia pile without even having the right place in contention to go on the paper. Once again I'll look at the U.N. order list and a month from now I still won't be ready for the next such clue.
To be fair, it wouldn't have helped you here, Kosovo is not a UN member due to veto from Russia (an ally of Serbia). The penultimate UN member is, I believe, Montenegro.

A favourite subject of mine, wasn't disappointed with the instaget.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012