Tuesday, December 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, December 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Robert K S »

Alex Trebek's end-of-game mention of "street names" of founding fathers (as opposed to "streets named") made me wonder what they might be. T.J., Sunday Wash, Mad James, Li'l John, Gouty Ben...?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Robert K S wrote:Alex Trebek's end-of-game mention of "street names" of founding fathers (as opposed to "streets named") made me wonder what they might be. T.J., Sunday Wash, Mad James, Li'l John, Gouty Ben...?
Alex T. didn't say that Madison, WI had streets named for founding fathers; he said they were named for other signers of the Constitution (although of course there's some overlap between those two groups). The streets are:

http://www.surroundedbyreality.com/Misc ... yNamed.asp
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

I am bad enough with my US history (see: missing 1789) that I fell into the Jefferson City trap.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Only the $1200 in CLASSICAL MUSIC was not revealed, so that was the first game since African American Friday with 59 clues played not counting the FJ! clue. We'll see if we can get a full 61-clue game before 2015 is over.

Alex hit the first DD with $600. What is more annoying then only betting $600 just to say the cliche? Only betting $500. Ugh! At least he went for $3000 on the 2nd try.

Trevor was done very early. North Dakota? Okay, enjoy your one game.

Playing Jeopardy! is fun. If Liz was enjoying the experience it did not always show.

Alex's wife played a secretary on Mad Men? Working in a Jon Hamm story is a great way to get The Call.

My warm-up exercises off the FJ! category were:
Remember Alaska & Hawaii
Capitals with City in the name
Capitals named for Presidents

I saw the clue, locked in Madison and wondered how many players would have Jefferson City. Harrisburg? That reminded me of Harrisburgh being an incorrect FJ! clue guess in some kiddie week game about a city beginning & ending with the same letter.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I was wondering how many people thought, "If Jefferson didn't sign the Constitution because it wasn't entirely the Virginia Plan, then Madison also wouldn't since he's also from Virginia." I was just glad I couldn't think of a state capital that would've been a better answer than Madison. I was also surprised at some of the Lach Trash, like the guess of Finland for Hatikvah, and then the other two not knowing it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

kristinsausville wrote:[looks at categories as they're revealed]

Are you ok, dhkendall?
Bamaman wrote:A shame this wasn't his board. It even had a DD in it.
Thank you everyone for your concern! I was sick today (nasty cold) and watched my tape even later than usual, but I felt better right when I saw this category come up! (Let out a loud Alex-style "HELL-o!") (I was listening to anthems on my iPhone on the bus on my way to/from work today too! (No, I don't do this every day, I listen to them about as often as I'd listen to anything else on my iPhone!) (Wife mentioned "I'd really start to wonder if you miss one of these!" Curious how the rest of the board did on them.)

Interestingly, out of the blue Liz started following me on Twitter the morning of her first game, I was quite honoured by that (how does she even know who I am?) and, combined with her being from the KC area, she was my automatic rooting interest when she was on. But, starting with the anthems and going back to them when they left the category? Sorry any other boardie that has appeared or will appear this season, I have a new favourite player this year. :)

(And yes, damn shame this wasn't my game and, unless I get called late in my time in the pool, I doubt I will see this in my game(s). :cry: )

Didn't get Final, I don't associate Madison with the Constitution (I just know he was president during the war of 1812, which I think of as a lot longer past 1789 than it actually is), but I guess he is to the Constitution what Jefferson is to the Declaration of Independence? I'll try to remember that. (Came up with Jackson, figured Andrew was a reasonable guess.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Robert K S wrote:Alex Trebek's end-of-game mention of "street names" of founding fathers (as opposed to "streets named") made me wonder what they might be. T.J., Sunday Wash, Mad James, Li'l John, Gouty Ben...?
This is hilarious. As a Virginia Law grad, I refer to Mr. Jefferson as T-Jizzle and T-Jeezy quite often.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Lucky for me, I went straight to Madison & didn't consider anything else. At least Alex got the last of 3 DDs! I did get all the Nat'l Anthems. They didn't seem too tough. I think the Israeli one was on J! previously & I didn't know it then.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

J! round: LLoyd (2) Abbrvns (2) Anthems (2R 1 W) Science (4) Horror (2) Trucking (4)

DJ: Alma Maters (3) Colonial (2) Classical (0) Folio (1) Parliament (3) NBA (2)

27R...1W. And I finished with more than the players for the fourth game in a row. Missed FJ.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

doihavetoreally wrote: The champ had some headscratching negs...Rangers in Vermont?
Probably thinking of Rogers' Rangers, a British unit originally from the New Hampshire colony during the French and Indian War.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:As a Virginia Law grad, I refer to Mr. Jefferson as T-Jizzle and T-Jeezy quite often.
Oh, man, too good
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

silverscreentest wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote: The champ had some headscratching negs...Rangers in Vermont?
Probably thinking of Rogers' Rangers, a British unit originally from the New Hampshire colony during the French and Indian War.
Thanks for this info.
dhkendall wrote:Curious how the rest of the board did on them.
I got couple of those purely based on Alex's pronunciation (especially the Israel one - would have stayed clam though). Wouldn't have happened if I was playing off archive.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Man, how I hate to see a game with Classical Music as a category and (yes, again, sigh....) I'm not there to scarf it up. And how I hate to see contestants avoid the category (although it certainly seemed they would, after Liszt was a top-row TS, OMG) and leave clues unrevealed. Deep sigh. I got Liszt and Holst, to go along with LT on Israel, primer, Congressional Record, and Theodore Dreiser for $7800 and another win from the fourth podium. 46 right and Coryat $37,200. Easy game for me.

Nice FJ clue, IMO. I was also led to the 4 state capitals named for presidents, immediately discarded Jackson and Lincoln, and came up with Madison over Jefferson with 20 seconds to spare.

I kept wondering why Alex seemed to be just wild-ass-guessing late in the game, and in a nice lead. That doesn't bode well, seems to me. Was he also the one who guessed "photons" for "UV rays?" Ooooohhhhh.

One uber-nerdy note: Dr. Phil did not graduate from the University of North Texas. He attended that school in Denton, and when he graduated it was still known as North Texas State University. It didn't change its name until 1987, to become UNT. I know this one pretty well since I was in the last graduating class of NTSU, December 1986. I'm pretty sure this comes under the category of "when they minted me, they broke the mold."
woodwindow376

Post by woodwindow376 »

John Boy wrote:Man, how I hate to see a game with Classical Music as a category and (yes, again, sigh....) I'm not there to scarf it up. And how I hate to see contestants avoid the category (although it certainly seemed they would, after Liszt was a top-row TS, OMG) and leave clues unrevealed. Deep sigh. I got Liszt and Holst, to go along with LT on Israel, primer, Congressional Record, and Theodore Dreiser for $7800 and another win from the fourth podium. 46 right and Coryat $37,200. Easy game for me.

Nice FJ clue, IMO. I was also led to the 4 state capitals named for presidents, immediately discarded Jackson and Lincoln, and came up with Madison over Jefferson with 20 seconds to spare.

I kept wondering why Alex seemed to be just wild-ass-guessing late in the game, and in a nice lead. That doesn't bode well, seems to me. Was he also the one who guessed "photons" for "UV rays?" Ooooohhhhh.

One uber-nerdy note: Dr. Phil did not graduate from the University of North Texas. He attended that school in Denton, and when he graduated it was still known as North Texas State University. It didn't change its name until 1987, to become UNT. I know this one pretty well since I was in the last graduating class of NTSU, December 1986. I'm pretty sure this comes under the category of "when they minted me, they broke the mold."
LOL, same here. Classical music is one of the dreaded categories that I don't wanna see. Well let's include opera for me :). But really, how do you study classical music? Maybe memorizing a list will go a long way?
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

woodwindow376 wrote:But really, how do you study classical music? Maybe memorizing a list will go a long way?
I think just knowing a few facts about Liszt will be fine; you'd be better off using that brain space for other composers. :D
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

woodwindow376 wrote:
John Boy wrote:Man, how I hate to see a game with Classical Music as a category and (yes, again, sigh....) I'm not there to scarf it up. And how I hate to see contestants avoid the category (although it certainly seemed they would, after Liszt was a top-row TS, OMG) and leave clues unrevealed. Deep sigh. I got Liszt and Holst, to go along with LT on Israel, primer, Congressional Record, and Theodore Dreiser for $7800 and another win from the fourth podium. 46 right and Coryat $37,200. Easy game for me.

LOL, same here. Classical music is one of the dreaded categories that I don't wanna see. Well let's include opera for me :). But really, how do you study classical music?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

woodwindow376 wrote:
Classical music is one of the dreaded categories that I don't wanna see. Well let's include opera for me :). But really, how do you study classical music? Maybe memorizing a list will go a long way?
No idea how anyone would study the category in anticipation of being on J!, any more than I would know how to begin to study R&R or C&W, in which I am pretty clueless. My "strategy" for classical is that I've listened to it all my adult life. That, plus I went to high school with Beethoven.

OK, it just seems that way....
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
bpmod wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Beanbags can be tossed around?
Is there anything else they can be used for?

Brian
Kicking them around? That's what we always did with them when I was in high school.
Hey, guys, sit on it! (Couldn't resist.)
OCSam
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

doihavetoreally wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Curious how the rest of the board did on them.
I got couple of those purely based on Alex's pronunciation (especially the Israel one - would have stayed clam though). Wouldn't have happened if I was playing off archive.
I thought they were pretty easy. My middle name is Hope which I know translates to Tikvah in Hebrew, so I wasn't going to miss that one.
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

kristinsausville wrote:[looks at categories as they're revealed]

Are you ok, dhkendall?
I did the same thing. :lol:
@caknuck