Wednesday, December 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Re: Wednesday, December 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CailinGaoilge »

econgator wrote:
CailinGaoilge wrote:
econgator wrote:Never heard of a King Charles Spaniel, so I went with Scottish Terrier, which I could argue does fit the clue.
It doesn't. Name a "member of the House of Stuart" called "Scottish Terrier"?

Instaget FJ for me, even before Alex finished reading the question.
The Stuarts were Scots. Doesn't say it has to be a specific member of the House.
The question:

"This small breed is named for a member of the 17th century House of Stuart."

That says a specific member to me. For your answer to work, the question would need to reference all members of the House, would it not? Or at least all members up to and including James VI of Scotland/I of England.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

econgator wrote:
CailinGaoilge wrote:
econgator wrote:Never heard of a King Charles Spaniel, so I went with Scottish Terrier, which I could argue does fit the clue.
It doesn't. Name a "member of the House of Stuart" called "Scottish Terrier"?

Instaget FJ for me, even before Alex finished reading the question.
The Stuarts were Scots. Doesn't say it has to be a specific member of the House.
"Scottish" is a nationality, not a royal house. It's certainly implied in the clue that the breed had to be named after a specific member.I can't see how "Scottish terrier" wouldn't have been negged -- perhaps with a comment from Alex T. like "You were on the right track."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Because the clue says "named for", I think you would also need to proof a causal relationship; i.e. "Stuarts being Scottish" led to "Scottish Terrier gets its name."

Even if King Charles's (or some other Stuart's) nickname was "The Scottish King", you would need to show that the Scottish Terrier was named that because of them.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $29,600
43 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :( ; another NHO King Charles spaniel here
LT: Eveready, Herbert Hoover, nasal cavity, ankle

Even with Alex's assistance, none of them could figure out how to pronounce EGOT.

Like Jon, I bit on the canon/missal mini-negbait. I also got Jedi mind-tricked into clamming on the severely overvalued Yorktown and the Appalachian Trail clues.

Not that it would have mattered, but Bianca should have gone TDD on that last DD since she had to get it right to have any chance of winning.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I knew FJ from Elizabeth Taylor.

No, not the many-times-married actress, but from such a King Charles Spanniel with one short leg with that name in Sex and the City. (Mrs. Spiff watches that show a lot, so it stuck.)

And I assume they would have taken Bib for "The Michelin Man." When we staying in London last year, we were near the one-time HQ for Michelin in Chelsea, now called the Bibendum Building (that's the full name of the dude, taken from the Latin "Nunc est bibendum" - "Now is the time for drinking.") It has lots of vintage pictures and artwork of Bib.

aeq5006
Valued Contributor

Post by aeq5006 »

Never is drunk! This to say: "To your saint the air of Michelin good the obstacle".

How's my translation?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Iowa = Hoover. Come on, contestants.

Yay, a 61-clue game in regular play for the first time since Oct. 28th.

Looks like I can have a poll choice for never heard of King Charles Spaniel. Even though I missed the clue I can't check it since I've heard of the breed and could pick it out of a line-up as long as the choices were not too similar.

I did Stuart = James or Anne and struck out without ever adding Charles to the mix abandoning the search of the House. "Sco" went on my paper and I stopped without completing Scottish Terrier since the clue seemed to want a specific person. Perhaps influenced by dog-sitting one earlier today I wrote Jack Russell Terrier (sat with me at full attention for the complete episode of last night's The Muppets) knowing it was wrong.

If I would have had the common sense to also think of King Charles I like to think I would have been able to finish out the correct response. Nice job by the gentlemen to make it a double get.

Jon did the cross-armed buzzer technique, but seemed less intense about it than other players seem to appear. He seemed like the kind of player who would have improved nicely with a game's worth of experience. Like Alex seemed to do tonight.

Bianca converted her two DD plays, but still was gone with third place money.

It was good to see the three players showing some improvement for the pool as a whole and I'm optimistic more good players will close out December.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

In which game did they ever fail to get around to a category with all these pictures of funny-nosed sea creatures, leaving us with the leftovers scattered amongst these recent games? More importantly, which one will we see next?
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

aeq5006 wrote:Never is drunk! This to say: "To your saint the air of Michelin good the obstacle".

How's my translation?
Nunc est bibendum (Latin): Now is the time to drink.

The rest is French: That is to say, to your good health. The Michelin tyre drinks up obstacles.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote:Looks like I can have a poll choice for never heard of King Charles Spaniel.
I'd like to see additional options for "my response for Wednesday was King Charles Spaniel" versus "my response Wed. was Cavalier King Charles Spaniel."

I went with the latter. In fact I didn't know there was a breed called the King Charles Spaniel.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I knew FJ from Elizabeth Taylor.

No, not the many-times-married actress, but from such a King Charles Spanniel with one short leg with that name in Sex and the City. (Mrs. Spiff watches that show a lot, so it stuck.)

And I assume they would have taken Bib for "The Michelin Man." When we staying in London last year, we were near the one-time HQ for Michelin in Chelsea, now called the Bibendum Building (that's the full name of the dude, taken from the Latin "Nunc est bibendum" - "Now is the time for drinking.") It has lots of vintage pictures and artwork of Bib.

I think it would have to be taken since that's his official name. I may be biased though since I blurted out Bibendum to that clue. (Fun fact: particularly good value restaurants get the Bib Gourmand designation in the Michelin dining guides). I also said sinus for nasal cavity. Judges?
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

With all the times Monty Python's Oliver Cromwell has helped me, it had to fail me sometime. I don't know why I couldn't connect "17th-century royal" to Charles I, but I have heard of the dog. Not that that helped either.

I said "The Michelin Man! Bibendum!" for the DD. I loved the "dead hunchback" answer, which I also said (as a joke, then I realized what the correct answer was).
OSXpert wrote:Also, Appalachian Trail was veeeeeeeery overvalued.
Seriously. I thought the Salzburg one was bad at $1200, then that popped up.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Tailgate = picnic was a bit too contrived since they really have nothing in common other than food being eaten.
You pack food and it eat it somewhere outside, that makes it a picnic as far as I'm concerned.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Tailgate = picnic was a bit too contrived since they really have nothing in common other than food being eaten.
You pack food and it eat it somewhere outside, that makes it a picnic as far as I'm concerned.
By that definition, eating your McDonald's at the tables in the parking lot is a picnic. As is buying a candy bar in a rest area vending machine, putting it in your pocket, using the bathroom, then eating the candy bar on your way back to the car.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
By that definition, eating your McDonald's at the tables in the parking lot is a picnic. As is buying a candy bar in a rest area vending machine, putting it in your pocket, using the bathroom, then eating the candy bar on your way back to the car.
Incorrect. The key is you packed it yourself.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I think these boards made Michael Dupee happy, as I'm assuming a lot more people got 50 right per 60 questions than they do on most episodes. I decided to try something new, and track my Coryat. I won't say how high it was since I don't want other people to feel bad, and I don't think it is representative of how I do on a typical night. I have a coworker who is housesitting for a family with a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, so FJ was an instaget.
There's a thread for that: "Season 32 Coryats Thread (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)"
TenPoundHammer wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Did you wash your hands?

No clue on FJ!
OCSam
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
TPH I get the feeling you are the kind of dude who would love to debate whether a hot dog is a sandwich.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

zakharov wrote:TPH I get the feeling you are the kind of dude who would love to debate whether a hot dog is a sandwich.
I get the feeling that we all are, pedantry runs rampant here, as does anywhere whereto get a gathering of smart people. (Heck, there's a mention of pinning your questions carefully so the pedants have nothing to complain about over at the TD tips thread right now!) And that's what I love about this board.
Except it doesn't, because a Scottish Terrier wasn't named after a member of that royal family (or any particular Scotsman), it was just named after a country.
TenPoundHammer wrote:When was the last cold open?
Did I fast forward over something on my PVR, because I don't recall seeing one today. (And, to answer your question, the Archive does a good job at recording them. You don't even have to go in every game, they are recorded at the top with the player's names so in the season overviews they are listed on the right side with other information like the game number of super champs and tournament game numbers.)
Spaceman Spiff wrote:And I assume they would have taken Bib for "The Michelin Man." When we staying in London last year, we were near the one-time HQ for Michelin in Chelsea, now called the Bibendum Building (that's the full name of the dude, taken from the Latin "Nunc est bibendum" - "Now is the time for drinking.") It has lots of vintage pictures and artwork of Bib.

I answered Bibendum too, I thought no one else would have but I keep forgetting what kind of crowd this is. I have the same selective amnesia every time I play TD. (In fact, I'd say Bibendum is more correct, as the ads they were referring to (about Bib drinking up nails) ran when he was called Bibendum, he wasn't called the Michelin Man after the Latin name fell into disuse and the nail ads stopped.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Wow, that Hamilton show looks like 2 hours of pure dreck. Great subject but awful rendering. Easy FJ for me tonight even though I'm not a dog person. I'm glad to see a repeat winner!
BJON
Contributor

Post by BJON »

hbomb1947 wrote:
thenextofken wrote:I had "King Charles Chevalier for the final." Even if it's a different breed, it still fits the clue. Judges?
As I mentioned above, "Cavalier King Charles spaniel" would undoubtedly have been accepted on the show. But changing Cavalier to Chevalier and changing the order of words in its name, and especially omitting "spaniel" (to me, that would be like calling a Boston terrier a "Boston") -- I wouldn't be confident in that being adjudged correct. Do you have any source for "King Charles Chevalier" being an officially recognized name of a breed?
I would award a bonus to anyone capable of writing "Cavalier" or "Chevalier" in front of the breed name, legibly, within 30 seconds.
"Carpal" was a weird miss, since everyone has heard of its "Tunnel Syndrome". TV nerves, or did everybody flunk anatomy?
"Missal" was a bit surprising, too.