Name That Senator

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Name That Senator

Post by Johnblue »

Schumer gets all the attention. She's fairly low-key.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

49 for me, but at least I recognized everyone who is/was running in this election. NHO a lot of them. I wonder how many people who tweeted their scores had taken it three or four times until they got something sufficiently high. :roll:
Hoping for a third lap
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

51 here. I only know Gillibrand because I live in New York – I'm unaware of anything noteworthy she's done since she led the fight to repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell several years ago.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Leander wrote:69 for me
Nice.

I got 77 but it gets easier as you go along thanks to process of elimination.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

83, though as a political junkie, I expected to score higher going in. Several names that I didn't even recognize, but not being able to match recognizable names with faces on a number of others... Eh, perhaps not so surprising, even with some process of elimination, since....
MDaunt wrote:57

Meh. This is really the list of the most powerful people in the most powerful country on earth? For shame.
A whole lot of them are powerful only in the collective, being pretty much forgettable zeroes on their own.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

RandyG wrote:

Meh. This is really the list of the most powerful people in the most powerful country on earth? For shame.
A whole lot of them are powerful only in the collective, being pretty much forgettable zeroes on their own.
Any individual senator has an effective veto, given the filibuster rules.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I got 62. Had this quiz been ten years ago, when I watched C-SPAN a lot, I would've been ashamed of that. I know some of the things the newer ones have done, but don't have the face recognition I once did.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Vermonter wrote:51 here. I only know Gillibrand because I live in New York – I'm unaware of anything noteworthy she's done since she led the fight to repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell several years ago.
I think she mainly known for winning Hilary's old seat.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

92. The ones I missed were the backbenchers, some old, some young. For quite a few of them, even if I didn't know who they were, I was able to eliminate most or all of the wrong answers. I consider US politics as one of my strongest areas, but I'm not quite at the "identify Mike Enzi from his photo" level.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I had to guess at literally like 90 of them. I got a few right due to process of elimination of already-used names. I like that one of their last names is Whitehouse.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

78. I think I got all but one of the female senators, but some of the male ones I either didn't recognize, or I just guessed. A lot I knew cold, others it was process of elimination. Got really lucky with Mike Lee from Utah by noticing the Beehive State flag in the background.
BJON
Contributor

Post by BJON »

It's been a while since it was worth knowing who all the senators are. If you can't identify the ones from your own state, you probably didn't take the quiz-and aren't a member of this forum-anyway.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BJON wrote:It's been a while since it was worth knowing who all the senators are. If you can't identify the ones from your own state, you probably didn't take the quiz-and aren't a member of this forum-anyway.
Or your senators aren't in there. ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

Bamaman wrote:
Vermonter wrote:51 here. I only know Gillibrand because I live in New York – I'm unaware of anything noteworthy she's done since she led the fight to repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell several years ago.
I think she mainly known for winning Hilary's old seat.
In recent years she's been extremely vocal and active in trying to pass legislation on sexual harassment in the military.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

MDaunt wrote:
RandyG wrote:

Any individual senator has an effective veto, given the filibuster rules.
True, that there are rules that allow individual senators to exercise a veto power, but it's an extreme measure, is rare, and can make far more enemies than friends. Filibuster and other similar parliamentary rules are most effective in the collective.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

9021amyers wrote:80/100. There are too many old white guys in Congress to tell them all apart.
That, and senators from low-population states in the West.

I got 80/100 as well. Several photos had clues in the form of portions of the senator's state flag.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Blue Lion wrote:
9021amyers wrote:80/100. There are too many old white guys in Congress to tell them all apart.
There's a lot of overlap between those two criteria.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Blue Lion wrote:

I got 80/100 as well. Several photos had clues in the form of portions of the senator's state flag.
Oh I definitely recognized the flag, but it wasnt showing the state in the choices. As I mentioned I got John Hoeven from the flag but that's only because I knew John Hoeven was from ND. If I didn't know he was from ND, the flag wouldnt have helped
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

dhkendall wrote:
Blue Lion wrote:

Oh I definitely recognized the flag, but it wasnt showing the state in the choices. As I mentioned I got John Hoeven from the flag but that's only because I knew John Hoeven was from ND. If I didn't know he was from ND, the flag wouldnt have helped
I recognized Hoeven by the mustache.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I have prosopagnosia as well, and I have no clue about all those new Republicans anyway, so I didn't bother taking it.

Carol Anne, on the other hand, got all 100. But she should have.