Alpaca Farm quizzes

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Alpaca Farm quizzes

Post by Vermonter »

The LL67 thread will fade away soon, so I figured I'd create a separate thread to discuss quizzes on Alpaca Farm, a place for informal trivia contests in the style of the "One-Day Special" on LearnedLeague.

I've been reading up on the Bible lately, so I published a quiz called Biblical Groups of Twelve. All of the answers incorporate specific Biblical names that come in groups of twelve: the sons of Jacob, the minor prophets, the apostles.

Enjoy, and have a happy and safe New Year's Eve!
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Re: Alpaca Farm quizzes

Post by nightreign »

There's still 35 hours left on my Things GersonA Really Hates quiz! Come check it out. http://alpacafarmtrivia.herokuapp.com/quizzes/798
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I don't know if this is the place or not but I'm torn on if I should put this quiz that I had an idea for in Alpaca Farm or wait for authors ten to accept it as a One Day (it was rejected this year). I don't have the time to write many quizzes, and I see the AF as more for those who can, yet I don't know if it would ever get accepted as s Ond Day (nor would anyone else, as the selection process is often random.). Thoughts?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

dhkendall wrote:authors ten
This autocorrect cracks me up.

Also, if it were me, I'd put it on AF, because by the time another year has passed and Thorsten is accepting One-Day proposals again, you'll probably have a different idea and/or be tired of the old one. But take that with a grain of salt, because I don't have the skills to actually write a legitimate One-Day.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

David, I agree with Aria. I'd definitely write it for Alpaca Farm. A year is a long time to sit on something!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

The other thing is that Thorsten apparently rarely accepts proposals from people who suggest one 1DS topic, and he may not pick the topic you most want to write about. I really wanted to do a 1DS on the Cincinnati Bengals, so I thought the best way to do this is pick two things that Thorsten wouldn't want. My other proposals were The Haggadah and Superconductors: Their History, Composition, and Physics. I was right in assuming that Thorsten wouldn't want the superconductivity 1DS, but he chose the Haggadah over the Bengals, and then someone else decided to do a Bengals quiz on Alpaca Farm. So you should probably strike while the iron is hot.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:The other thing is that Thorsten apparently rarely accepts proposals from people who suggest one 1DS topic...
How do you know this? And is this correlation or causation?

If you want an opposing data point, I have submitted exactly one 1DS proposal and it was accepted.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Congrats to Lampy on second place and CheezeWhiz on fifth place in Things GersonA Really Hates! (I don't see any other boardies in the top 10.)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

goforthetie wrote:
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:The other thing is that Thorsten apparently rarely accepts proposals from people who suggest one 1DS topic...

If you want an opposing data point, I have submitted exactly one 1DS proposal and it was accepted.
Another opposing data point, I have had two successful One Day proposals so far, both were submitted solo (see: "hard to find time to write a quiz" above). My third, rejected, one was also solo. I think you're just assuming something that isn't there, Cat H.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

dhkendall wrote:
goforthetie wrote:

Another opposing data point, I have had two successful One Day proposals so far, both were submitted solo (see: "hard to find time to write a quiz" above). My third, rejected, one was also solo. I think you're just assuming something that isn't there, Cat H.
I submitted two for 2015 and one for 2016, and got one approved each time. (The alternative for 2015 was "Beatles Lyrics in other words")
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

nightreign wrote:Congrats to Lampy on second place and CheezeWhiz on fifth place in Things GersonA Really Hates! (I don't see any other boardies in the top 10.)
That was a very well-written quiz, nightreign! Great job. Really appreciated the Don Budge question ;)
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Vermonter wrote:
nightreign wrote:Congrats to Lampy on second place and CheezeWhiz on fifth place in Things GersonA Really Hates! (I don't see any other boardies in the top 10.)
That was a very well-written quiz, nightreign! Great job. Really appreciated the Don Budge question ;)
Yep, I definitely got that from your Fact Primer.

Recap here: http://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php? ... 418#p67418
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

goforthetie wrote:If you want an opposing data point, I have submitted exactly one 1DS proposal and it was accepted.
Same here.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

nightreign wrote:
Vermonter wrote:
Yep, I definitely got that from your Fact Primer.

Recap here: http://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php? ... 418#p67418
I was the one who gave credit to Only Connect for known Hadid.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Sadly, no one famous is named "Habakkuk"

Post by Vermonter »

Speaking of Fact Primers, here's a new one from my general-knowledge quiz on Biblical Groups of Twelve, along with results: http://tfw.gr/1UrkNqw
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Da, da, da

Post by Vermonter »

The other night I was watching The Chase and there was a question about a Soviet leader I'd never heard of. The Beast got it fairly easily, so I figured I'd do some research.

Here's the result: Russian & Soviet leaders. Closes Tuesday at 10 am.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Earworms

Post by Vermonter »

I have a feeling a lot of you will enjoy this one (looking your way in particular, MarkBarrett):

Phone Numbers You'd Forgotten You'd Memorized

Closes Monday at noon Eastern.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Earworms

Post by teapot37 »

Vermonter wrote:I have a feeling a lot of you will enjoy this one (looking your way in particular, MarkBarrett):

I'm pretty sure I have ever heard at most four of these jingles. And I have watched a LOT of television.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

teapot37 wrote:
Vermonter wrote:I have a feeling a lot of you will enjoy this one (looking your way in particular, MarkBarrett):

I'm pretty sure I have ever heard at most four of these jingles. And I have watched a LOT of television.
Same here. It seemed pretty regional to the NYC metro area. Regardless, listening to Keith's "blah-blah" redacted jingles was one of the highlights of my day.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Well, you got me to sign up. I looked at (and listened to) your quiz and even for the ones I recognized I have no answers. These companies can pay millions for advertising and I can see the ads hundreds of times, but does not mean the phone numbers stick, unfortunately. 867-5309 is one I can handle. Thanks for the shout out, sorry I couldn't play.