Pavlov revival

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Re: Pavlov revival

Post by goatman »

In 'long-distance runners' Jim Fixx has appeared 5 times; clues relate to his untimely demise while running in 1984 (3 clues) and his book; "The Complete Book of Running" pub 1977 (2 clues). He keeps coming up as a semi-celebrity and cultural icon; first game in 1990; but then 2004, 2009,2010,2012; Pavlov is 'he died running in 1984' and 'wrote the definitive book of running 1977 (OMG that was the year SW premiered and 'Annie Hall' won Best Picture, Gosh who the heck decides these awards?! How many of us ever even saw Annie Hall or even remember it; but yet who has NOT seen SW?!? Sigh... I totally agree with dhkendall above comment "this stuff doesn't interest me ergo I don't retain it"; so true- you have to flashcard the top ten and go with that if you're not a sports fan. Sadly my inferior organic carbon-based brain is extremely poor in comparision to silicon based AI memory, which retains permanently etched memories (sigh, does Watson have a soul?). What does help to recall these things is if any of them made an impression, it becomes memorable (I vividly recall watching Joe Theisman get hurt in 1985 dubbed; "The Hit That No One Who Saw It Can Ever Forget" (another Pavlov), and when Jim Fixx had a fatal heart attack mid-stride that became permanently etched as well. As for the rest... flashcards!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
TriviaHappy
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by TriviaHappy »

Is there anything like all of these in the form of a Google Doc? It'd be really useful.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

I researched "Basketball" and returned 450 hits and six FJ's; I'm posting recurring themes and notables to fill the gap in above sports Pavlov:

Basketball: Inventor James Naismith; “Professor Emeritus”; original 13 rules were published in the Triangle campus newspaper on 15 Jan 1892 (FJ, 1999-02-01!); first game was played with peach baskets in Dec 1891, hence the moniker; “Basket Ball”: Under orders from Dr. Luther Gulick, head of Springfield YMCA Physical Education, Naismith was given 14 days to create an indoor game that would provide an "athletic distraction" for unruly boys confined indoors in winter: Gulick demanded that it would not take up much room, could help its track athletes to keep in shape, and explicitly emphasized to "make it fair for all players and not too rough." Naismith reasoned that soccer balls are softest and least dangerous so the first 'Basket Ball' games were played with soccer balls! THey quickly found that tearing out the bottoms of the wooden baskets made play more convenient, hence the modern net form. Passing was the only way of moving the ball, as dribbling was invented later.

Game 2011-09-26: This Massachusetts city is the “Birthplace of Basketball”: Springfield

Kenneth "Kenny/Ken" Davis Captain of the U.S. national team in the 1972 Olympics. In the aftermath of the controversial finish to the Gold Medal game, Davis famously led the United States team in a refusal to accept the Silver Medal and has a provision in his will that neither his wife nor children may accept the medal after his death. After his basketball career ended, Davis became and still is a sales representative for Converse (39 years). Ken Davis appeared in game 2013-12-13; Converse in game 2011-05-06 as “This company's canvas All Star basketball shoe goes all the way back to 1917”

Jackie Joyner-Kersey went to UCLA on a basketball scholarship! Game 2013-01-07: “This woman who won consecutive heptathlons at the Olympics went to UCLA on a basketball scholarship”

“Stilt” = Wilt Chamberlain; noted rivalry with Bill Russell; only player to score 100 points in a single game; Chamberlain is the only player in NBA history to average at least 30 points and 20 rebounds per game in a season, a feat he accomplished nine times. He is also the only player to average at least 30 points and 20 rebounds per game over the entire course of his NBA career. Wilt made NBA history by scoring 100 points for the Philadelphia Warriors in a 169–147 win over the New York Knicks on March 2, 1962, at Hershey Sports Arena in Hershey, Pennsylvania. It is widely considered one of the greatest records in basketball. Chamberlain set five other league records that game including most free throws made, a notable achievement for the poor free throw shooter. The teams broke the record for most combined points in a game (316).

Bill Russell Boston Celtics 5-time NBA MVP; noted rival of Wilt the Stilt

“Dirk” = Dirk Nowitzski; Nowitzki was named the 2011 German Sports Personality of the Year for the first time, and in 2012, he became the first non-American player to win the Naismith Legacy Award.
Game 2011--09-20

Kobe Bryant “Named honorary ambassador to the Japanese city that bears his name” 2010-11-09

Basketball player who also played baseball; 2010-11-09; He hit 3 HRs for the Double-A Birmingham barons; in 1996 he was season and finals NBA MVP” = Michael Jordan

Former Indiana coach won 900th game Jan 16, 2008 = Bobby Knight; fired in 2000 for attitude, then went to coach Texas Tech

Coached UNC basketball over four decades: Dean Smith

1920's all-black Harlem team = Ren/Rens for “renaissance”; these were NOT forerunners of the Harlem Globetrotters, who originally organized in Chicago's South Side and moved later to Harlem, where they played their first 'home game' in 1968!

Ken Howard = The White Shadow (Ken Reeves; confusing! Ken Howard played character Ken Reeves): The show's title is derived from a comment by Thorpe in response to a statement by Reeves in the final scene of the pilot episode. Reeves told the members of the team that he would support them and be right behind them, every step of the way, to which Thorpe replied, "Yeah. Like a white shadow.”

“Royal rapper” who led her team to two state championships at Irving High = Queen Latifah

Larry Bird = draftee to Boston Celtics 1978; close friend and rival of Magic Johnson. Most famous non-African American basketball figure; proof that; “White Men CAN Jump!” lol (NB: Woody Harrelson, Rosie Perez, Wesley Snipes are clues to film White Men Can't JUmp; in which Alex appears as himself). Notably the silly TV show The Neighbors has aliens adopting appearance and dress of Earthlings that call themselves Jackie Joyner-Kersey and Larry Bird. Actor playing Larry = Simon Templeman; Toks Olagundoye plays Jackie. Bird became coach of Indiana Pacers in 1997 (game 1997-12-02)

Ebony magazine most influential black businessman, 2009 = Earvin 'Magic' Johnson; his friendship and rivalry with Boston Celtics star Larry Bird, whom he faced in the 1979 NCAA finals and three NBA championship series, are legendary. Now part owner of LA Lakers and LA Dodgers! FJ: 2007-05-22: “Between 1977-1980 he won state high school championships, NCAA and NBA championships”

Dr J = Julius Erving; “play above the rim” style AKA “The Slam-Dunker” ; NY Nets -> Philly Seventy Sixers

Michael Jordan = 'MJ' ; appeared in 1996 animation film; Space Jam: Nicknames = Air Jordan and “His Airness” UNC Tar Heel went to Chicago Bulls then retired in 1994, returned in '95 and retired in 1999, became president of the Washington Wizards in 2000 (game 2005-11-03) and returned to play on the Washington Wizards 2001-03; hence if you see “Three-peat” it's MJ!

Pat Riley = winner of six NBA championships; once a player, once assistant coach four times as Lakers head coach in 1980s (game 2005-11-03)

Lynnette Woodard = only female player on The Harlem Globetrotters, 1985-87 (Game 2005-07-04); HG first trip was to a game in Chicago Jan 7, 1927 (game 1996-09-05)

Dream Team = The 1992 United States men's Olympic basketball team, nicknamed the "Dream Team", was the first American Olympic team to feature active NBA players. Described by American journalists as the greatest sports team ever assembled, and called by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame "the greatest collection of basketball talent on the planet"; it defeated its opponents by an average of almost 44 points and won a gold medal against Croatia at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona.

J! likes alliterative and rhyming game terms; e.g. “pick and roll” “give and go” the “3-man weave” “full-court press” “man-to-man” “final four” (NCAA College Champs playoff games) “goaltending” “hook shot” “slam dunk” “boxing out” “point-shaving” ('razor-sharp' scandal) and an “Alliterative foul” = 'double dribble'

Hoosiers = (Film 1986) Dennis Hopper, Gene Hackman inspired by Milan, Indiana high school team winning state championship in 1954

FJ 1998-06-09: Only teams that don't end with letter 's': Utah Jazz, Miami Heat, Orlando Magic

Additionally; this link to helpful site describes origin of NBA team names and also good to try get them straight for non-fans; I learned that Utah has no native jazz, rather, the team from New Orleans relocated and retained the name! http://mentalfloss.com/article/23115/or ... team-names

Oddly Related to Basketball: Rabbit Angstrom, in John Updike's Rabbit novel series, dies of heart attack on a basketball court = FJ 2010-11-02;
Zhankfor
Valued Contributor

Post by Zhankfor »

Might I use this thread to plug my website (in my signature)? I cover a lot of the same stuff on a clue-by-clue basis - I go into the J!Archive to see how often topics have come up in past Jeopardy! games and look at hints that correlate with them. Two (and one extra) I've found so far (only been doing this less than two weeks now):

A 1415 battle is Agincourt. (A 1415 religion question is Jan Hus, and the number only shows up otherwise after the decimal point in pi, except for a couple about Renaissance art where the year wasn't particularly relevant).
The number "490" only ever appears in connection to the Battle of Marathon, or obliquely to the long-distance race.

(Both of those are from the category BATTLE NATIONS from a couple weeks ago).
http://www.threeroadstrivia.com - Analysis of a J! clue every M-W-F. Come tell me what I missed!
Recent Categories: Vaccines, Zodiac Constellations, Women Authors, Chemical Element Pairs, CNN World Languages, The Spanish-American War
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Homework as mentioned in the 1/30/14 thread
Spoiler
dhkendall wrote:Thanks to MM for reminding me that I have the sports pavlov from the old board. Since this is something I *need* to study, perhaps reposting it here will help (and I hope it helps someone besides me) - original posters names and other superfluous info removed :

Long-distance runner + Oregon + died young = Steve Prefontaine

He's come up five times in J! games in the past six years.

On the Pre point (and he is someone you should know, they like him), he may be one of the only distance runners you need to know. I would also say

Sub Four Minute Mile (First One) - Roger Bannister (11 mentions since 2001)

is the other major runner to remember. If you include sprinters, the list gets longer, but still.

It seems difficult to assign a Pavlov credit to many sports because records are constantly changing, and outside of nicknames, those records are common IDs on Jeopardy. For instance, the terms "Babe Ruth" and "home run" have been used in the same clue-answer 26 times (that's four more times than the terms "Jane Austen" and "Pride Prejudice" have been combined). The problem is, "Aaron" and "Home Run" have been used 20 times; "Maris" and "Home Run" have been used 19 times (they were the ones who broke his career and single-season records). (Although, I would say if you're in a sports category in you see "61", it's Maris; if you see "715" or "755", it's Aaron). Even if you combine "Yankee" and "Home Run", it could be either Maris or Ruth. A search returns 169 hits where the clue and answer contained both the words "home" and "run", but there were many different applications. Ruth had a lot, Aaron had a lot, Mickey Mantle, Reggie Jackson, Mark McGwire, Roger Maris, Ken Griffey Jr.

I figure there are numbers you could make Pavlovian like 755 (or really, if it's baseball, anything above 715 until Bonds came along), or 511 (Cy Young Wins), but it's rare.

Some nicknames

The Bambino -- George Herman Ruth
The Iron Horse -- Lou Gehrig
Ol' Diz (or just plain Dizzy): Jerome Herman (or Jay Hanna -- he wasn't fussy) Dean
Daffy -- His brother Paul
Dazzy -- Charles Vance
The Yankee Clipper -- Joe Dimaggio (key number 56 -- consecutive game hitting streak)
The Little Perfessor -- Dom(inic) Dimaggio (Joe's brother -- played for a better team)
Splendid Splinter -- Ted Williams
Big Train -- Walter Johnson
Big Six -- Christie Mathewson
Bad Henry -- Hank Aaron
The Grey Eagle (or Spoke)-- Tris Speaker
The Georgia Peach - Ty Cobb
The Fordham Flash -- Frankie Frisch
The Bronx Bombers -- the NY Yankees
The Gashouse Gang -- 1930s St. Louis Cardinals
The Mick -- Mickey Mantle
Say Hey -- Willie Mays
Manassa Mauler -- JackDempsey
Sweetness -- Walter Payton
Boston Strong Boy -- John L Sullivan
Merry Mex -- Lee Trevino
Brown Bomber -- Joe Louis
Mr. Cub -- Ernie Banks
Crazy Legs -- Elroy Hirsch

I got nutthin' for basketball. And this is hardly definitive. Add more, folks

Baseball:

Home Runs + October = Reggie Jackson

Football:

Supreme Court = Byron "Whizzer" White

Fishercat       05-21-2010 11:40 PM
The only reason I didn't mention Marion Jones (who you should know) is that I was limiting myself to distance runners there, as she's a short track runner (100m, 200m, long jump). But absolutely, when you get to sprinters/T&F athletes, Jones is a definite to know

For some other recent baseball nicknames, only including those that were used to this point and more than once. I'll try and keep out some of those less common nicknames on common players to keep the clutter out (for instance, Slammin' Sammy Sosa is a nickname...but it's not used that often to ID Sammy Sosa)

Roger Clemens - The Rocket (also known for his seven Cy Young Awards and multitude of strikeouts)

David Ortiz - Big Papi (known for his walk-off hits, especially in the 2004 playoffs)

Cal Ripken Jr. - The Iron Man (for his 2,632 consecutive game streak)

Alex Rodriguez - "A-Rod" (be careful, they like to pair this term with different types of clues, like Andy Roddick or baseball terms)

Hank Aaron - Hammerin' Hank (most commonly used in puns to indicate it was Hank Aaron. References to 715+ homeruns are more common)

Ken Griffey Jr. - Junior (Mariners and Reds OF primarily, young phenom best known for high early home run numbers)

Ernie Banks - "Mr. Cub" (the nickname is a common ID in clues)

James "Catfish" Hunter - "Catfish" (the writers have used James Hunter or even a picture of a catfish as a clue here. As a player, just know he played for Oakland/New York and signed a huge contract)

Cy Young - "Cy" (Real name Denton, known for a ton of wins and an award)

Carl Yastrzemski - "Yaz" (Known for being the last Triple Crown winner in 1967, famous Red Sox)

Tom Seaver - "Tom Terrific" (He's been used five times as a clue...all five had this nickname)

Nolan Ryan - "The Ryan Express" (known mostly for seven no-hitters or 5000+ strikeouts)

Babe Ruth - With "The Bambino", also remember "The Sultan of Swat"

Stan Musial - Stan "The Man" Musial (very common usage in clues, typically IDed as a Cardinal)

Reggie Jackson - "Mr. October" (for his World Series homeruns)

Lou Gehrig - "The Iron Horse" (if you're going to know a few baseball names, know Babe Ruth and definitely know Lou Gehrig. He's been either answered or IDed 34 times in clues, including three daily doubles and a final Jeopardy. Three things to know beyond his nick name: the disease ALS is named after him as he died from it in 1941, he played in 2,130 consecutive games, and he gave an exceptionally famous farewell speech in 1939).

BTW, the prior list is very good as well. Definitely know Ty Cobb = Georgia and a lot of hits. Dimaggio's long, long hit streak is also something to know (and Marilyn Monroe/Mrs. Robinson).

I will say, I don't know if nicknames are the way to go about this. Most clues don't contain them. It would take a while, but if you cover each team's biggest stars of all-time, it'll take care of most of the clues.

For instance, I did Baltimore as a test. The only two I think you will need to know for 80% of sports clues are Brooks Robinson (defensive whiz third baseman, #5 was retired by Baltimore, played with an unrelated Frank) and Cal Ripken Jr. (2,632 game hit streak for the Iron Man). Everyone else barely comes up. You may miss a bizarre Frank Robinson clue, but those are the biggies. Even a team like Boston doesn't have a lot of Jeopardy worthy names (Ted Williams, Carl Yastrzemski, Roger Clemens, David Ortiz, Cy Young are some of the most common). The good part about Jeopardy Sports is that they don't go THAT deep into the game. They'll usually mix all-time legends and current stars into their categories.

Since you mention college, I went through the last college tournament. Here are the sports categories from that

Streaking:
$200: Los Angeles Lakers, can be gotten by the clue (difficult), or the Kobe hint (easy, current star everyone should know)
$400: PAC-10 (College Conference referencing USC, not sure if a Pavlov helps there)
$600: Michael Phelps (A Pavlov helps there, but following any kind of culture should have gotten that. Lots of swimming medals, current)
$800: Wayne Gretzky (Hockey Legend)
$1000: Joe Dimaggio (in fact, the posts in here help with this legend)

So we have two legends, two current players, one non-person

Retired Numbers by Team: This one is easier to quantify, it's purely matching players to teams, all non-current players. This one had THREE triple stumpers, and honestly, I'm not sure how much a Pavlov would help with this. A lot of the people they picked were quasi-legends that may or may not make a good Pavlov list. Brooks Robinson made my Pavlov for the Orioles, so that would help there. I think a full blown list should hit every player, but based on Jeopardy history, there was little reason to know who Frank Robinson played for. Barkley and Chamberlain ($1200) was overpriced relative to the rest of the category and would be on any good list. Puckett, Carew, Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Jim Kelly were all less likely. Bart Starr probably should be, as should Reggie White, but I'm not sure how they would. But no nicknames help here, you have to know the players

Olympic Cities: This was a Final Jeopardy, you basically have to know the cities. A good way to double down on these is to link a major Olympian to a city (say, Michael Phelps and Beijing). I missed this clue as a sports geek. My bad.

They Are The Champions: This was a trick category. It was sports questions...but everything could be answered if you know college mascots. Gators --> Florida, Tar Heels --> UNC, Cardinal --> Stanford, Upstate NY Academy --> West Point. The only one that wasn't a team name was "Bowling", but if you're not gonna get it with strike, spare, and roll in the clue, oh well. Knowing sports here can negate that need (knowing the NCAA Basketball, Football, Bowling, Boxing, and Rowing champs), but it wasn't how it was meant to be solved.

On His Baseball Hall of Fame Plaque: The poster child for how a Pavlov thread would help...and why I think it's best to do it by team with facts. Five clues, one nickname, but they were all people every Jeopardy contestant should know. Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Rickey Henderson, Ted Williams, and Reggie Jackson. Mr. October was the only nickname (Jackson, listed above). But Ruth/Cobb/Williams all had teams and years listed, and Henderson could be gotten with any knowledge on stolen bases.

NFL Logos: This one's tough to really study for. A Pavlov linking teams to players could also help, indirectly, with team names. For instance, if Peyton Manning is on a list, he will be IDed as a Colt...and a blue horseshoe could be linked to the Colts. Of course, they could make the mistake of linking a horseshoe to the Broncos. Toughie.

So I think, if the last college tournament is emblematic, it's worthwhile to know your sports. Half the games had a full category on sports, with a final Jeopardy. The one before that, by my count, only had three sports categories. But one was in the final game (not that a list would help much with that except by coincidence), and there were several college categories as well that can be helped by IDing college sports teams. I think, if you're going for a college tournament, a good sports list should include famous college athletes and schools.

These are players I consider key players and who have at least three mentions in the archive as parts of a clue and/or answer. I am going to do Hall of Famers first, and then I will put modern players. Jeopardy rarely asks about players who aren't HoFs, current players, or those with good enough records to be HoF who aren't in. This isn't quite the perfect, choppy facts list, but it can be edited if needed. And I'll italicize the biggies (IMO). I will note, I feel like there are many more significant players, but if they don't use players like Dennis Eckersley and Harmon Killebrew in their clues...

It's easily possible I've missed some big names, feel free to suggest.

I also am editing in current (all) and past (important) stadium names.

Baltimore Orioles (Camden Yards)
Brooks Robinson - Third baseman, retired #5. Can be paired with "Frank Robinson" in clues as an unrelated teammate.

Cal Ripken Jr. - "The Iron Man", played in 2,632 games to break Lou Gehrig's consecutive games record, famous shortstop.

Frank Robinson - First black MLB manager, unrelated teammate to Brooks Robinson, 1956 RotY (those are three facts that have been in all five Frank Robinson clues)

Boston Red Sox (Fenway Park)
Carlton Fisk - "Pudge", famous power hitting catcher who hit Game-Winning Home Run in 1975 (only referenced three times)

Ted Williams - "The Splendid Splinter", hit .406 in 1941 (last player to hit over .400), famous Red Sox LF who was also a marine and went to war, very high batting average, played into the 1960's (began in the 1930s)

Carl Yastrezemski - "Yaz", last player to win the Triple Crown (1967; Batting Average, RBI, and HR), top outfielder in 1960s and 1970s.

David Ortiz - "Big Papi", known for his walk-off homeruns, Red Sox Designated Hitter

New York Yankees (Yankee Stadium)

Babe Ruth - "The Bambino", "The Sultan of Swat" - Probably the most famous player ever. 714 home runs, famous power hitter and pitcher (he played for Boston too), Hank Aaron broke his homerun record. Basically, if you see a home run question from before 1960 or so, the answer is probably Babe Ruth...especially if you're spotted Yankees.

Yogi Berra - His clues almost exclusively relate to his bizarre quotes. It's almost Pavlovian: if they ask for a baseball player with a weird quote, it's Yogi. Otherwise, Yankee Catcher (past) is almost always Berra too.

Joe Dimaggio - "The Yankee Clipper", "Joltin' Joe": 56 game hit streak, married to Marilyn Monroe, references in "Mrs. Robinson".

Whitey Ford - Look out for him on "Ford" themed boards. Yankee + Ford = Whitey. That's all you need.

Lou Gehrig - Died of ALS in 1941 (Lou Gehrig's Disease), gave famous/immortalized farewell speech in 1939, played in 2,130 straight games and earned nickname "The Iron Horse"

Goose Gossage - Technically had three clues, but he was a Hall of Fame reliever with a kickass mustache whose name was Goose. Yeah.

Reggie Jackson - "Mr. October" hit three home runs in a single World Series game in 1977.

Mickey Mantle - Yankees CF in the 1950s and 1960s, #7, won the Triple Crown in 1956, from Oklahoma. Mantle's a hard one to quick fact because his clues are diverse.

Casey Stengel - Yankees manager, usually paired with a quote with a manly/tough/old nature.

Derek Jeter - Yankees Shortstop in 1990s and 2000s, "Mr. November"

Alex Rodriguez - Former Mariners, Rangers SS/3B. Largest contract in baseball history (big contract usually equals A-Rod).

Roger Maris - Broke Babe Ruth's single season home-run record in 1961 with 61 home runs, raced with Mickey Mantle for that title. Usually paired with the number "61" or "Mickey Mantle" in clues.

Tampa Bay Rays (Tropicana Field)
This is a new franchise with no HoFs.

Toronto Blue Jays (Rogers Centre/Skydome (old name))
They haven't had anyone go in with their logo into the HoF, their players are covered elsewhere.

Chicago White Sox (U.S. Cellular Field; Comiskey Stadium)
Charles Comiskey - The White Sox old ballpark is named after him.

Joe Jackson - "Shoeless Joe", star outfielder who got banned from baseball in the 1919 Black Sox betting scandal.

Cleveland Indians (Progressive Field/Jacobs Field)

Bob Feller - "Bullet", Hall of Fame Cleveland Indians pitcher. That's it.

Bob Lemon - Also a Hall of Fame Cleveland Pitcher; these two are often paired with one another. He was also fired by George Steinbrenner twice.

Cy Young - Known as a Red Sox and Cleveland Naps pitcher, best known for having 511 wins, the most wins/losses in MLB history, and an award named after him. "Cyclone" was another nickname.

Detroit Tigers (Comerica Park; Tiger Stadium)

Ty Cobb - Georgia Peach, had a ton of hits, virulently racist and offensive, early 20th century, really high batting average (.366 is Pavlovian), sharpened his spikes

Kansas City Royals (Kauffman Stadium)

George Brett - Pine Tar Incident, batting champion third baseman in 1970's and 1980's

Minnesota Twins/Washington Senators (Target Field; Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome; Griffith Stadium (as the Senators))

Walter Johnson - "The Big Train", dominant strikeout pitcher for the Senators

Rod Carew - Only two clues, both requiring an ID of Carew as a Twin

Kirby Puckett - Just know he was an outfielder for the Twins. Very popular, left due to sight issues.

Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim/Anaheim Angels/California Angels

No Hall of Famers have been inducted with an Angels cap

Oakland/Kansas City/Philadelphia A's (Oakland Coliseum, Shibe Park/Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia)

Connie Mack - Legendary Manager, given name Cornelius Alexander McGillicuddy, had a grandson with the same name as a Florida senator.

Rickey Henderson - All-Time stolen base leader, legendary speedster, had some amusing egotistical quotes. Just know that he stole a lot of bases, including over 100 in a season or two.

Catfish Hunter - Given name James (Jim) Hunter, they'll usually just ask for Catfish. Signed a big contract with the Yankees in the 1970's but spent most of his time in Oakland

Seattle Mariners (Safeco Field; Kingdome)

No one has been inducted with a Seattle cap, but...

Ken Griffey Jr. - Currently active centerfielder, often referenced as a Seattle Mariner OF who hit a lot of homeruns in the 1990s, very popular. The "son" part of the first father-son to play in the same game.

Randy Johnson - "The Big Unit" - very tall, lots of strikeouts, perfect game in 2004, co-MVPs with Curt Schilling in 2001 World Series

Ichiro Suzuki - Japanese hitter who set MLB record for single-season hits.

Texas Rangers/Washington Senators (Rangers Ballpark in Arlington/Ameriquest Field; D.C. Stadium/RFK Stadium in Washington) ,

Nolan Ryan - "The Ryan Express", holds career strikeout record, seven no-hitters, played in Texas, Houston, Anaheim, and New York (N)

Atlanta Braves (Turner Field; Atlanta Fulton County Stadium)

Henry "Hank" Aaron - Also known as Hammerin' Hank (there are two...beware the Hank Greenberg trick!), hit 755 HRs and held the record until Barry Bonds broke it. First player alphabetically in the HoF. Just know the numbers 715, 755 (both Pavlovian for Aaron). Hit #715 off of Al Downing. Won the Spingarn Medal (NAACP).

Florida Marlins (Sun Life Stadium)

No Hall of Famers who don the Marlins logo

New York Mets (CitiField; Shea Stadium)

Tom Seaver - Every clue on him has referenced his nickname "Tom Terrific". 1960s and 1970s (primarily) as a pitcher

Mike Piazza - He could go here or the Dodgers. Catcher who broke Carlton Fisk's record for HR by a catcher, former Jeopardy player, known for signing a couple big contracts.

Philadelphia Phillies (Citizens Bank Park; Veterans' Stadium)

Jim Bunning - Perfect Game + Senator from Kentucky

Mike Schmidt - Third baseman known for his home run hitting all in Philly

Washington Nationals (Nationals Park)

Brand new franchise.

Chicago Cubs (Wrigley Field)

Tinker to Evers to Chance: OK, I'd bet almost anything that they'd never be used apart. The most famous double play combination of all time. Tinker was a Shortstop, Evers was a Second Baseman, Chance was a first baseman. This was a clue that Ken Jennings botched when he had to give them in a different order.

Ernie Banks - "Mr. Cub", famous SS/1B, first black Cubs player, won consecutive MVPs for the first time in the NL.

Sammy Sosa - Hit over 60 homeruns three times in the 1990s for the Cubs.

Cincinnati Reds (Great American Ballpark; Riverfront Stadium; Crosley Field)

George "Sparky" Anderson - First manager to win 100 games in both leagues (one season), won World Series with Detroit and Cincinnati, known as Sparky and common in a nickname category.

Johnny Bench - Catcher in the 1960s and 1970s, widely considered an all-time great. Reds + Catcher = Bench (as they never use Ernie Lombardi)

Joe Morgan - Rarely used; Cincinnati second baseman in 1970s, part of the Big Red Machine, current ESPN broadcaster

Pete Rose - "Charlie Hustle", all time leader in hits and games played, has second longest hitting streak, banned for betting on baseball, aggressive baserunner (knocked over a catcher in an all-star exhibition and brawled)

Houston Astros (Minute Maid Field; Houston Astrodome)

No one has gone in as a HoF for them

Milwaukee Brewers (Miller Park, Milwaukee County Stadium)

Robin Yount - On Brewers for a very long time (20 years), last member alphabetically in the HoF.

Pittsburgh Pirates (PNC Park, Three Rivers Stadium, Forbes Field)

Honus Wagner - His clues have been different each time, famous power-hitting shortstop for the Pirates, on the most famous/expensive baseball card of all-time (T206) (I'd say if a player is needed for a card, it's Pavlovian for Wagner or Mantle, go by year). Among the first five Hall of Famers

Roberto Clemente - Puerto-Rican outfielder, exactly 3,000 hits, died in a helicopter crash while delivering supplies to Nicaragua,

Willie Stargell - Leader of the 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates (We Are Family), left fielder/first baseman with a retired number 8 in Pittsburgh

St. Louis Cardinals (Busch Stadium)

Jay "Dizzy" Dean - "Dizzy" Dean will often be paired with "Daffy" Dean (Paul), was a Secretary of State, star pitcher in 1930s.

Stan Musial - "The Man" is in almost every clue, know he was a famous Cardinal player starring in the 1940s.

Bob Gibson - Hall of Fame pitcher in the 1960's, holds single-game WS record for strikeouts (17)

Lou Brock - The OTHER basestealer (NL + Base Stealer probably equals Brock). Stole over 900 bases in NL, Cardinals LF, often paired with Rickey Henderson.

Ozzie Smith - "The Wizard", defensively strong shortstop

Mark McGwire - Former A's/Cardinals first baseman, prolific power hitter, broke Maris' single-season record. Usually, Home Runs + 90s = McGwire

Arizona Diamondbacks (Chase Field/Bank One Ballpark "BOB")

No HoFers yet

Colorado Rockies (Coors Field)

No HoFers yet

Los Angeles (Brooklyn) Dodgers (Dodger Stadium in LA; Ebbets Field in Brooklyn)

Jackie Robinson - Broke baseball's color barrier when brought in by Branch Rickey (1947), won the Spingarn Medal, won the first Rookie of the Year, second baseman for Brooklyn for a decade, was placed on a commemorative coin in 1997

Roy Campanella - Brooklyn catcher whose career was cut short by an automobile accident.

Sanford "Sandy" Koufax - Three-time Cy Young winner left-handed pitcher who retired in his prime due to an arthritic elbow. Four no-hitter, prolific strikeout pitcher, notably Jewish (took the holidays off from games)

Walter Alston - Pavlovian connection to Tommy Lasorda, only two managers of Dodgers for 40+ years.

Pee Wee Reese - "Pee Wee" and "Little Colonel", second baseman contemporary with Jackie Robinson.

Tommy Lasorda - Dodgers manager/GM for a really long time, managed two world series winners in the 1980s

Manny Ramirez - Former Red Sox, Indians slugger. Tested positive for banned substance; big RBI man, Manny Being Manny.

San Diego Padres (Petco Park)
Tony Gwynn - Likely the only Padre you'll hear about, closest to hitting .400 since Ted Williams, major contact hitter.

San Francisco/New York Giants (AT&T Park, Candlestick Park, The Polo Grounds (New York Giants)

Willie Mays - "Say Hey Kid", Giants OF who hit over 650 HRs in his career and was a centerfielder in the 1950s-1970s. Barry Bonds' godfather, made famous catch in the World Series off a Vic Wertz hit

Juan Marichal - Attacked the Dodgers' John Roseboro with a bat. A ton of other good things, but Jeopardy doesn't care.

Barry Bonds - 90s and 00s slugger with most homeruns in baseball history, seven MVPs, also stole bases and walked a lot. Center of a steroid scandal

Other Hall of Fames - Unaffiliated Teams

Kenesaw Mountain Landis - First baseball commissioner, banned the Black Sox, was a judge

Branch Rickey - Dodgers/Cardinals GM, created the "Farm System", "luck is the residue of design", brought Jackie Robinson into the league

Leroy "Satchel" Paige - First black major league pitcher, oldest player ever, Negro Leagues superstar. Odds are, if Negro Leagues come up, the answer's going to be Gibson if it's a player.

Tennis
The Battle of the Sexes - Billie Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs (BJK won)
Stabbed Player - Monica Seles
Aneres Clothing Line - Serena Williams (Serena's name spelled backward)
Current Swiss player - Roger Federer
Black male tennis player - Arthur Ashe
Historic black female tennis player - Althea Gibson

Recent Sports Record Breakers/Notables with whom you should probably be familiar
Shawn Johnson (gymnastics - won Dancing with the Stars)
Michael Phelps (swimming - most gold medals in a single Olympics, most golds of any Olympian)
Evan Lysacek (figure skating - currently on Dancing with the Stars, US Olympic Gold Medalist)
Usain Bolt (track)
Shaun White (snowboarding)
Calvin Borel (horse racing - won Kentucky Derby 3 of the last 4 years)
David Beckham (soccer - with the Los Angeles Galaxy)
Chad Ochocinco (football - Dancing with the Stars, legal name change last name = jersey number)
Lorena Ochoa (golf - #1 ranked LPGA player from Mexico, announced retirement in April)

Other Random Things
Finnish Runner - Paavo Nurmi ("Flying Finn")
First Class Inducted in 2010 - NASCAR Hall of Fame (Charlotte, NC)
Poker Player with "appropriate name" - Chris Moneymaker
Female poker player - probably Annie Duke
Female celebrity poker player - Jennifer Tilly
College World Series location - Omaha, NE

And to piggyback off the mention of Marion Jones, she recently switched to the WNBA. She now plays for the Tulsa Shock.

I'd also throw in some of the more common stadium names, which can come up not just in "sports" categories but "corporate sponsorship" cats as well, as we saw recently.

Kip Keino: a track and field/Olympics name that I'm surprised hasn't come up in either referenced thread. In the 1960s he became the first in a long string of medal-winning Kenyan middle- and long-distance runners, and he was a pioneer of the high-altitude training that sustains that tradition.

The Admiral: David Robinson, S.A. Spurs, mainly '90s (he actually was a lieutenant j.g. at the time of his basketball-related early Navy discharge)
Twin Towers: applied to several tandems of really tall guys in the NBA. Most successful were David Robinson + Tim Duncan from 1997-2003 (interestingly, I've never heard of any flashy nickname for Duncan), who helped the Spurs win two championships.
The Iceman: George Gervin, S.A. Spurs, '70s and '80s (short stint at the end with Chicago)
The Glide: Clyde Drexler, '80s and '90s, Portland Trail Blazers and Houston Rockets (fewer years with Houston but he won a championship with them)
The Dream: Hakeem Olajuwon (for a while he spelled his name "Akeem"), '80s and '90s, Houston Rockets. He and Drexler were teammates at the University of Houston in two NCAA championship games, in addition to having an NBA title year together.
The Pearl: Earl Monroe, '60s and '70s, Baltimore Bullets and New York Knicks
"Pistol Pete" Maravich, '70s, Atlanta Hawks, New Orleans Jazz, Boston Celtics; holds NCAA scoring record from his years at Louisiana State University
The Stilt: Wilt Chamberlain, '60s and '70s (after a year with the Harlem Globetrotters), Philadelphia/San Francisco Warriors, Philadelphia 76ers, L.A. Lakers, then a litigation-marked stint with the San Diego Conquistadors of the ABA. He is the only NBA player to score 100 points in a game and 4,000 points in a season; the dimensions of the free throw lane and rules for free throws were changed because of him.
Human Highlight Film: Dominique Wilkins, '80s and '90s, Atlanta Hawks then several other teams for short stints.
The Mailman: Karl Malone, '80s through '00s, Utah Jazz and L.A. Lakers.
Air Jordan: Michael Jordan, '80s and '80s, Chicago Bulls with notorious short stints with the Washington Wizards and the Chicago White Sox minor league organization.
Dr. J: Julius Erving, '70s and '80s, ABA Virginia Squires and New York Nets, NBA Philly 76ers. He is one of several stars who kept the financially marginal ABA strong enough for a few teams to survive as part of the NBA. Other such stars include the aforementioned Gervin as well as ...
A-Train: Artis Gilmore, '70s and '80s, ABA Kentucky Colonels, NBA Chicago Bulls and S.A. Spurs.
Worm and Robo-Rebounder: Dennis Rodman, '80s and '90s, Detroit Pistons, S.A. Spurs, Chicago Bulls.
I'm getting a little fatigued so I'll just run off a few more brief ones, most of them more recent:
The Answer: Allen Iverson
Superman: Dwight Howard
Shaq Daddy, Diesel: Shaquille O'Neal
Birdman: Chris Andersen
Big Baby: Glen Davis (not to be confused with football's Glenn "Mr. Outside" Davis)

Multi-city and multi-name pro sports teams

A favorite little trivia trope of mine. Present day location and nickname is listed last. Note these lists deal only with currently operating teams.

Major League Baseball since 1900:
Boston Americans > Boston Red Sox (I've found a couple of references that say they were never officially called the Pilgrims)
Baltimore Orioles > New York Highlanders > New York Yankees
Milwaukee Brewers > St. Louis Browns > Baltimore Orioles
Washington Senators > Washington Nationals (ironically, because they were in the American League) > Washington Senators again > Minnesota Twins
Washington Senators (second try) > Texas Rangers
Philadelphia Athletics > Kansas City Athletics > Oakland Athletics
Los Angeles Angels > California Angels > Anaheim Angels > Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (and they never moved)
Boston Braves > Boston Bees > Boston Braves again > Milwaukee Braves > Atlanta Braves
Montreal Expos > Washington Nationals
Seattle Pilots (AL) > Milwaukee Brewers -- the only team in the modern era to switch leagues
Houston Colt .45s > Houston Astros
Brooklyn Superbas > Brooklyn Trolley Dodgers > Brooklyn Dodgers > Brooklyn Robins > Brooklyn Dodgers again > Los Angeles Dodgers
Cincinnati Reds > Cincinnati Redlegs > Cincinnati Reds
New York Giants > San Francisco Giants

National Basketball Association
-- which itself was formed in a merger between the Basketball Association of America and the National Basketball League and has since absorbed teams from the American Basketball Association:
Tri-Cities Black Hawks (NBL/NBA) > Milwaukee Hawks > St. Louis Hawks > Atlanta Hawks
Denver Rockets (ABA) > Denver Nuggets (ABA/NBA)
Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons (NBL) > Fort Wayne Pistons (NBL/NBA) > Detroit Pistons
Philadelphia Warriors (BAA/NBA) > San Francisco Warriors > Golden State Warriors
Detroit Gems > Minneapolis Lakers (NBL/BAA/NBA) > Los Angeles Lakers
New Jersey Americans (ABA) > New York Nets > (ABA) > New Jersey Nets (NBA); a move back to New York is in the offing
Syracuse Reds > Syracuse Nationals (NBL/NBA) > Philadelphia 76ers, the oldest continuously operating team in the league
Chicago Packers > Chicago Zephyrs > Baltimore Bullets > Capital Bullets > Washington Bullets > Washington Wizards
Seattle SuperSonics > Oklahoma City Thunder
New Orleans Jazz > Utah Jazz (which makes less sense than Los Angeles Lakers)
San Diego Rockets > Houston Rockets
Buffalo Braves > San Diego Clippers > Los Angeles Clippers
Vancouver Grizzlies > Memphis Grizzlies (and how much sense does that make?)
Charlotte Hornets > New Orleans Hornets
Dallas Chaparrals (ABA) > Texas Chaparrals > Dallas Chaparrals again > San Antonio Spurs (ABA/NBA)
Rochester Royals (NBL/NBA) > Cincinnati Royals > Kansas City/Omaha Kings > Kansas City Kings > Sacramento Kings

... whoo, if anyone is interested they can fill in football, with its CardPitts and PhilPitts and the argument over whether the Baltimore Colts really were the successor to the Dallas Texans franchise, and (OMG) hockey.

Don't forget the Cleveland - Los Angeles - Los Angeles (Anaheim) - St. Louis Rams

Not to mention the great Cleveland-Baltimore Compromise of 1996.

As far as Baltimore goes, Frank Robinson was also the first man to win the MVP in both leagues -- which if it hasn't been a J! clue yet, should be.

And John Unitas has appeared several times as a response, not to mention Earl "the Pearl" Monroe (playground legend, Bullet star and Knick fan favorite), the Preakness (second jewel of the Triple Crown, and the only one of the three named for a horse) and Johns Hopkins lacrosse.

Edit:

IIRC, the Cubs refused to give the Dodgers permission to use LA's Wrigley Field (site of the Home Run Derby TV show) when they relocated, resulting in the craziness of trying to play baseball in the LA Coliseum until Chavez Ravine could be built. But I am fairly certain that the original LA Angels DID play there, which would mean that both leagues had a Wrigley Field -- until the Big A in Anaheim was built.

Funny thing about the Memphis Grizzlies -- that was the name of the WFL Memphis team - the one that signed Csonka, Kiick, and Warfield away from the Dolphins. The team was called the Toronto Northmen when that happened, but they moved to Memphis before playing a game. Although they tried Southmen, due to the bear logo on the helmet, Grizzlies eventually was adopted as the official nickname. When Vancouver relocated, I suppose you could call it Bizarro World serendipity.

OK, I'm setting up an in-progress NFL list here. This is going to be a little bit different, although same idea as the MLB one. I'm going through Hall of Famers and putting J-worthy current players in. It's not going to be as detailed, since unlike baseball, most players here are just known for one or two things and they often share it. If they share the same fact, I'll list them together in a more Pavlov style. If there is a number next to their name, it's been used in a clue

Basic Note: They will use Super Bowl Roman Numerals.
Super Bowl I was played in 1967, and there has been one played every year since then. So Super Bowl X was 1976, XX was 1986, etc. Just to give an idea of years if they say "This QB lost Super Bowl XXVII", it was the early 1990s

Baltimore Ravens (M&T Bank Stadium)

Ray Lewis - Ravens Middle Linebacker who was MVP of Super Bowl XXXV.

Buffalo Bills - Ralph Wilson Stadium

Jim Kelly (#12), Thurman Thomas, Marv Levy - The Quarterback, Runningback, and Coach of the early 1990s Bills who lost four straight Super Bowls (but got to them)

O.J. Simpson - The vast majority of his clues relate to the trial, just know he was a good RB for the Bills before that from 1969-1977

Cincinnati Bengals - Paul Brown Stadium (see Cleveland Browns for Paul Brown info)

Norman "Boomer" Esaison - Current commentator, just know the name.

Cleveland Browns/Baltimore Ravens - Cleveland Municipal Stadium (Old Browns); Cleveland Browns Stadium (New Browns))

Jim Brown - Cleveland RB in 1950s and 1960s, acted in The Dirty Dozen, held a bunch of rushing records. Also was an elite Lacrosse player at Syracuse.

Paul Brown - Coach who the team was named after who coached the team from 1946-1962. Founded both the Cleveland Browns AND Cincinnati Bengals.
BE CAREFUL: Paul Brown Stadium is NOT Cleveland's Stadium, rather it is Cincinnati's.

Lou Groza - "The Toe", Kicker who became first person to lead the league in scoring without a Touchdown

Denver Broncos - Invesco Field at Mile High

John Elway (#7) - Famous Quarterback, passed for over 50,000 yards, won two Super Bowls to end his career and played in five, went to Stanford

Houston Texans (Reliant Stadium)

No Hall of Famers, franchise established in 2002.

Indianapolis Colts (formerly Baltimore Colts) (Lucas Oil Stadium)

Johnny Unitas (#19) - "The Man With The Golden Arm", Colts Quarterback in "The Greatest Game Ever Played" (Championship game against the Giants in 1957), 47 straight games with a Touchdown Pass. Played from 1956-1972.

Peyton Manning - Has brother in the NFL (Eli Manning), threw 49 TDs in one year, played for University of Tennessee and drafted #1.

Jacksonville Jaguars (Jacksonville Municipal Stadium (formerly AllTel Stadium)

No Hall of Famers, Franchise was established in 1995.

Kansas City Chiefs (Arrowhead Stadium)

Lamar Hunt - Former Owner of the Chiefs/Dallas Texans and the American Football League, named the "Super Bowl", AFC Championship Trophy is named after him.

Len Dawson and Hank Stram - Quarterback and Coach of the 1970 Super Bowl winning Chiefs

Miami Dolphins (Sun Life Stadium)

Larry Csonka, Bob Griese, Don Shula- The Fullback, Quarterback, and Coach of the Undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins (only undefeated team in the Super Bowl Era for regular + postseason)

Csonka - Super Bowl MVP
Griese - Son Brian was also in the NFL, QB of the team to 1980
Shula - Holds record for coaching wins (347), playoff games coached (36)

Dan Marino (#13) - Held almost every passing record at one point, passed for over 50,000 yards in his career and over 5,000 in one season.

New England Patriots (Gillette Stadium)

Tom Brady - Quarterback who won three Super Bowls in the 2000s, used to play for the University of Michigan, threw 50 TDs in one season.

Drew Bledsoe - Former Patriots and Bills QB, #1 pick in 1993.

New York Jets (Meadowlands Stadium)

Joe "Willie" Namath - "Broadway Joe", guaranteed victory in Super Bowl III and pulled off the upset v. the Colts, played for the University of Alabama

Oakland (Los Angeles) Raiders (Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum)

Marcus Allen - Former USC (University of Southern California) and Raider runningback.

Al Davis - Former Coach and Current Owner of the Raiders

John Madden- Former Head Coach now best known for being a former announcer and face of Madden NFL Football Video Games

Pittsburgh Steelers (Heinz Field))

Terry Bradshaw - QB who won four Super Bowls, two Super Bowl MVPs, (won the SB in 1975, 1976, 1979, and 1980).

"Mean" Joe Greene - Known the nickname, that he was a Defensive Tackle, and that he was in a famous Coke commercial.

Franco Harris - Immaculate Reception in a playoff game vs. Oakland, MVP of Super Bowl IX

Jack Lambert, Jack Ham - Linebackers in the "Steel Curtain" defense

Chuck Noll - Coach who won four Super Bowls (most ever) and designed the Steel Curtain defense

Bill Cowher - Former Steelers coach in the 1990s and 2000s who won Super Bowl 40 with the Steelers.

Lynn Swann - Wide Receiver in 1970s who tried for a political career in Pennsylvania.

San Diego Chargers (QualComm Stadium)

Dan Fouts - Quarterback in 1970s and 1980s for the S.D. Chargers.

Kellen Winslow - Tight End in the 1980s

Tennessee Titans (Formerly the Houston Oilers) (LP Field))

Earl Campbell - Won the Heisman in 1977, led the NFL in rushing from 1978-1980, played for the Oilers for several years

Warren Moon - In both the Pro Football and Canadian Football Hall of Fame, lots of interceptions and lots of yards, look for space puns with his name.

Arizona Cardinals (University of Phoenix Stadium)

Dan Dierdorf - Former Monday Night Football announcer

Dick "Night Train" Lane - Had fourteen INTs in one year and has the nickname "Night Train". Also could be listed under Detroit.

Jim Thorpe - OK, this is cheating, but he was a football and decathlon star, known as one of the Greatest Athletes Ever. A Native American often paired with the phrase "greatest athlete" in some way. One year with the Chicago Cardinals.

Atlanta Falcons (Georgia Dome)

Deion Sanders - "Neon Deion" or "Primetime", one of the most exciting and fast cornerbacks in the NFL in the 1990s, also played baseball.

(EDIT: 7/28): Michael Vick - former Falcons rushing QB, charged with dogfighting, currently with the Philadelphia Eagles (he had another clue on the 7/27 show so I thought it was time to add him in there)

Carolina Panthers (Bank of America Stadium)

Too new for any really major player. Expansion team in 1995, play in North Carolina (Charlotte).

Chicago Bears (Soldier Field)

Dick Butkus - #51, linebacker for the Bears.

Mike Ditka - A Tight End in his playing days, also coached "Da Bears" in the 1980s and commentated.

Harold "Red" Grange - The Galloping Ghost was a Bears runningback in the 1920s and part of Notre Dame's Four Horseman. Also had red hair (they like this on J! for some reason).

George Halas - Legendary Coach for the Bears ranging from 1920-1967, also owned the team for a time, known as "Papa Bear"

Bronko Nagurski - Played RB for the Bears in the NFL, has a college defensive player trophy named after him.

Walter Payton - "Sweetness", #34, legendary runningback, broke Jim Brown's rushing record.

Gale Sayers - Short lived but dynamic runningback, the "Kansas Comet" was paired with Brian Piccolo as the first interracial roommates in the NFL and as a main subject of Brian's Song (film).

Dallas Cowboys (Cowboys Stadium)

Troy Aikman - #1 pick in 1989, led Cowboys to multiple Super Bowls in 1990s as "America's Team", used to play for UCLA

Tony Dorsett - UPitt and Cowboys runningback who set the record for rushing yards in a single play (99) (sorry, messed up the U the first time. Thanks for the catch on that)

"Bullet" Bob Hayes, Ed "Too Tall" Jones - Nicknames to know. See additional information in a post below.

Michael Irvin - Wide Receiver who had some legal issues but is an ESPN analyst now.

Tom Landry - Long-term legendary coach of the Cowboys, lots of wins, known for his hat; 29 years with the Cowboys and 36 playoff games coached

Emmitt Smith - #22, runningback who set the record for rushing yards in a career, won the third season of Dancing with the Stars.

Roger Staubach - Quarterback out of the Naval Academy, was Cowboys QB for a decade, mostly in the 1970s.

Detroit Lions (Ford Field)

Barry Sanders - Hall of Fame Runningback who once rushed for over 2,000 yards in a season.

Green Bay Packers (Lambeau Field)

Paul Hornung - Placekicker/Runningback who set a record for scoring in 1960, Notre Dame alum.

Earl Curly Lambeau - Owner/Coach who the field is named after.

Vince Lombardi - Legendary coach, known for his quotes on winning (Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing; winner of first two Super Bowls as coach and the trophy is named after him.

Bart Starr - Won the first two Super Bowl MVPs at Quarterback; pulled off a QB Sneak to win the Ice Bowl (a famous 1967 game where the field was essentially ice)

Brett Favre - Long Time Packers QB, also played for Atlanta (before), New York Jets, and Minnesota Vikings (after). Over 50,000 passing yards, lots of Interceptions and Touchdowns, long consecutive game streak, won a SB in 1997.

Minnesota Vikings (Mall of America Field at Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome)

Fran Tarkenton - Hall of Fame Quarterback

Randy Moss - Former Viking, Raider, and current Patriot WR with a lot of touchdown catches, active.

Alan Page - Defensive Tackle for the "Purple People Eaters" and a State Supreme Court Justice

New Orleans Saints (Louisiana Superdome)

Tom Dempsey - Kicked a 63-yard field goal (record)

Reggie Bush - Won the Heisman Trophy in 2005, one of three University of Southern California players to do it in the 2000s.

New York Giants (Meadowlands Stadium)

Eli Manning - Paired with brother Peyton Manning, current QB and Super Bowl winner over undefeated (to that point) Patriots.

Lawrence Taylor - "LT", linebacker #56, broke Joe Theismann's leg on Monday Night Football (I would list Theismann under Redskins, but all the clues have to do with the leg or oddball general trivia)

Philadelphia Eagles (Lincoln Financial Field)

Reggie White - #92, defensive lineman, lots of sacks, retired number in Philly and Green Bay.

San Francisco 49ers (Candlestick Park)

Ronnie Lott - Defensive Back in the 1980s

Joe Montana (#16) - Three Super Bowl MVPs for the 49ers from 1979-1992. One of the best (and most used in J! terms) QBs ever, also was the QB behind "The Catch" to Dwight Clark in an NFC Championship game.

Jerry Rice - Wide Receiver who holds almost every wide receiving record, was also a Super Bowl MVP.

Steve Young - The Quarterback who followed Joe Montana, won a Super Bowl, is the great-great-great grandson and alumnus of Brigham Young University.

Terrell Owens - Talented but problematic WR who played for San Fran, Philly, Dallas, and Buffalo. Known as "T.O."

Seattle Seahawks (Qwest Field)

Paul Allen - Owner of the Seahawks and co-founder of Microsoft

St. Louis Rams (Edward Jones Dome)

Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch - Wide Receiver, know the nickname.

David "Deacon" Jones - Defensive Lineman, know the nickname.

Kurt Warner - QB and Super Bowl MVP of the Rams in Super Bowl XXXIV, played in the Arena Football League.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Raymond James Stadium)

No players, but Jeopardy likes to use their logo for clues (Skull, Two Swords, and a Football with a Deep Red and Pewter color scheme)

Washington Redskins (FedEx Field)

George Allen - Head Coach in the 1970s, son was governor/senator from Virginia.

Joe Gibbs - Coach who won three Super Bowls and owns a NASCAR team

Doug Williams - First African-American QB to win a Super Bowl (XXII)

Originally Posted by Fishercat (Post 844230)
Franco Harris - Immaculate Reception in Super Bowl IX
The catch in question was actually from a playoff game against Oakland, not the Super Bowl.

Also, I think you might include the "No Name" Defense for the Dolphins.

Michael Vick played for the Falcons, as did Deion Sanders.

Not likely to come up on the show, but worth mentioning......The new Cleveland Browns are legally the old Browns and the Ravens are legally an expansion franchise. When the team moved, it was part of the deal all records would stay behind for the new team.

For the college tournament, I imagine the following is all you would ever need to know about hockey:

- the very basic rules of the game - three 20-minute periods, penalty box, power play, offside, icing, overtime, shootout, etc.
- all 30 team names and logos
- trophy is the Stanley Cup
- the Montreal Canadiens are the most successful franchise historically, with 24 Stanley Cups
- Wayne Gretzky holds all the records; he played for the Edmonton Oilers in the 1980's until traded to the L.A. Kings
- Sidney Crosby (Pittsburgh, Canadian) and Alexander Ovechkin (Washington, Russian) are widely considered the two best players today
- Canada beat the US in overtime for gold in the 2010 Olympics - Crosby scored the winning goal
- the US team, an underdog composed largely of college players, won the 1980 Olympic gold in Lake Placid - their upset of the favored Soviets was dubbed the "miracle on ice"
- you should know who wins the cup this year, which will probably be Chicago as they are up 2-0 in the finals
- nowadays most of the arenas are indistinguishable, but you should know that the New York Rangers play in Madison Square Garden, and probably that the Detroit Red Wings play in Joe Louis Arena

For the regular show you might also be asked more about the history of the game - names like Lemieux, Howe, Orr, Messier, Brett and Bobby Hull, Phil Esposito, Steve Yzerman.

Tony Dorsett did not play for The University of Texas. He played at Pitt (and won the Heisman).

I'm going to speculate that you confused him with Earl Campbell, who played for UT and the Houston Oilers

Not sure if they've ever ask or would, but the Cowboys have also appeared in more Super Bowls (8) than any other franchise.

O.J. Simpson - The vast majority of his clues relate to the trial, just know he was a good RB for the Bills before that from 1969-1977

John Elway (#7) - Famous Quarterback, passed for over 50,000 yards, won two Super Bowls to end his career and played in five, went to Stanford

"Mean" Joe Greene - Known the nickname, that he was a Defensive Tackle, and that he was in a famous Coke commercial.

Deion Sanders - "Neon Deion" or "Primetime", one of the most exciting and fast cornerbacks in the NFL in the 1990s, also played baseball.

George Halas - Legendary Coach for the Bears ranging from 1920-1967, also owned the team for a time, known as "Papa Bear"

Gale Sayers - Short lived but dynamic runningback, the "Kansas Comet" was paired with Brian Piccolo as the first interracial roommates in the NFL and as a main subject of Brian's Song (film).

Tony Dorsett - UTexas and Cowboys runningback who set the record for rushing yards in a single play (99).

"Bullet" Bob Hayes, Ed "Too Tall" Jones - Nicknames to know (both were WRs for the Cowboys as well)
Just a few comments/corrections/additions:

O.J. Simpson was first known as the Heisman-winning tailback, one in a long series to come out of Southern Cal. He was also the NFL's first back to rush for 2,000+ yards in a season.

Elway was on the sidelines against Cal. when the "Stanford Band" play beat his team. He seemed destined to become the first quarterback to lead his team to four SB losses until he won two of them in his final two seasons.

Mean Joe: the only halfway decent football player ever to come from one of my alma maters, North Texas State. (Please note that the ad was for Coca Cola, not cocaine.)

Sanders, among other things, was:
1) the only NFL player in history to score a touchdown all six ways that one can be scored: rush from scrimmage, pass reception, kickoff return, punt return, interception return, and fumble return; and
2) IIRC also the only man ever to play in both a Super Bowl (he won) and the World Series (he lost).

Halas for many years held the record for most coaching victories. At his death he was the last surviving founder (from 1920) of the NFL.

Sayers and Ernie Nevers were the only two players to score six TDs in an NFL game.

Dorsett was the Heisman-trophy-winning running back at Pittsburgh (not U. of Texas). Until graduation he pronounced his name DOR-sett and for some inexplicable reason began pronouncing it Dor-SETT after being drafted into the NFL. Roger Staubach joked that he would begin calling himself Roger Stau-BACH.

Bob Hayes remains the only man to win a Super Bowl championship ring (with the Cowboys, over Miami, in SB VI) and an Olympic gold medal (actually two, in Tokyo, 1964, for the 100-meter run and anchoring the 4X100 relay team). He also set a later speed record by serving a five-year drug trafficking sentence in 8 months, but that's another story.)

Ed ("Too Tall") Jones (6'9") left football for a year to try a career in boxing. Despite a 6-0 record he dropped that and returned to football. He was never a wide receiver in the NFL, spending his entire career on the defensive line.
Originally Posted by medellin (Post 844301)
- Wayne Gretzky holds all the records; he played for the Edmonton Oilers in the 1980's until traded to the L.A. Kings
Two other NHL team "The Great One" played for are the St. Louis Blues and the New York Rangers.

Originally Posted by John Boy (Post 844314)
Dorsett was the Heisman-trophy-winning running back at Pittsburgh (not U. of Texas). Until graduation he pronounced his name DOR-sett and for some inexplicable reason began pronouncing it Dor-SETT after being drafted into the NFL. Roger Staubach joked that he would begin calling himself Roger Stau-BACH.
Another pronounciation change involves QB Joe Theismann. The family name was originally "These-man" but Notre Dame PR Dept insisted that he be called "Thighs-man" to rhyme with the trophy in order to increase interest. Didn't work, Joe finished second in the Heisman Trophy voting to Jim Plunkett (Stanford's other famous QB). He later led the Redskins to the first of their three Super Bowl victories, but he may best be remembered for the horrifying nationally-televised leg breaking administered to him by Lawrence Taylor. :eek:

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Raymond James Stadium)

No players, but Jeopardy likes to use their logo for clues (Skull, Two Swords, and a Football with a Deep Red and Pewter color scheme)
Formerly played in the "Big Sombrero" and we do have a Hall-of-Famer in Leeroy Selmon (not that he'll ever be a J! clue, but I'm throwing him in there anyway :) ).

Also, you might want to throw a mention of the Heidi Game in there.

New York Yankees (Yankee Stadium)

Babe Ruth - "The Bambino", "The Sultan of Swat" - Probably the most famous player ever. 714 home runs, famous power hitter and pitcher (he played for Boston too), Hank Aaron broke his homerun record. Basically, if you see a home run question from before 1960 or so, the answer is probably Babe Ruth...especially if you're spotted Yankees.

Yogi Berra - His clues almost exclusively relate to his bizarre quotes. It's almost Pavlovian: if they ask for a baseball player with a weird quote, it's Yogi. Otherwise, Yankee Catcher (past) is almost always Berra too.

Joe Dimaggio - "The Yankee Clipper", "Joltin' Joe": 56 game hit streak, married to Marilyn Monroe, references in "Mrs. Robinson".

Whitey Ford - Look out for him on "Ford" themed boards. Yankee + Ford = Whitey. That's all you need.

Lou Gehrig - Died of ALS in 1941 (Lou Gehrig's Disease), gave famous/immortalized farewell speech in 1939, played in 2,130 straight games and earned nickname "The Iron Horse"

Goose Gossage - Technically had three clues, but he was a Hall of Fame reliever with a kickass mustache whose name was Goose. Yeah.

Reggie Jackson - "Mr. October" hit three home runs in a single World Series game in 1977.

Mickey Mantle - Yankees CF in the 1950s and 1960s, #7, won the Triple Crown in 1956, from Oklahoma. Mantle's a hard one to quick fact because his clues are diverse.

Casey Stengel - Yankees manager, usually paired with a quote with a manly/tough/old nature.

Derek Jeter - Yankees Shortstop in 1990s and 2000s, "Mr. November"

Alex Rodriguez - Former Mariners, Rangers SS/3B. Largest contract in baseball history (big contract usually equals A-Rod).
Perhaps a mention of Roger Maris and his 61 homers in '61 to break Babe Ruth's season record. Not sure how many clues they've had about him, though.

Perhaps a mention of Roger Maris and his 61 homers in '61 to break Babe Ruth's season record. Not sure how many clues they've had about him, though.
None recently, but a couple dozen over the years, according to the Archive.

Mark McGwire - Former A's/Cardinals first baseman, prolific power hitter, broke Maris' single-season record. Usually, Home Runs + 90s = McGwire
You may have forgotten him above, but at least you credited him here without an asterisk! :) My honors thesis had to be about Americana, and I wrote about the '50s Yankees, which gave me a great appreciation for Maris.
the_phil
60% or Bust

Post by the_phil »

goatman wrote:LOTS OF STUFF
People still don't quite get what a "Pavlov" is. Goatman, lots of great info in your post, it's just not condensed (and it's certainly full of non-essential non-Pavolv responses, like the Queen Latifa tidbit).
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

the_phil wrote:
People still don't quite get what a "Pavlov" is. Goatman, lots of great info in your post, it's just not condensed (and it's certainly full of non-essential non-Pavolv responses, like the Queen Latifa tidbit).
Also out-of-date
FJ 1998-06-09: Only teams that don't end with letter 's': Utah Jazz, Miami Heat, Orlando Magic
+ Oklahoma City Thunder
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Magna wrote:
the_phil wrote:
Also out-of-date
+ Oklahoma City Thunder
Yes brain teasing me: 'aren't there four now? DOH! Thanks for the head up, lol & yes I see Pavlov is: 'see food ->drool'; so better is: 'Boston Celtics; the neighbors = Larry Bird'
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

If they had been a bit smarter when they changed their name from the Bullets we would have the Washington Wizard... imagine hearing "the Wizard has the ball with ten seconds left...."
Last edited by harrumph on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Not exactly a Pavlov, but I do have this running list of Presidential firsts that could be helpful to some:

PRESIDENTIAL FIRSTS:
Filmed signing a bill into law, in 1895 he became the first U.S. president to appear on moving film: Grover Cleveland
First man to receive a million votes for president in one election: William Henry Harrison
In his first term, this president held the first press conference that would be shown on TV--later that day: Eisenhower
First president to receive full-time protection from the Secret Service: Theodore Roosevelt
First president not of British descent: Martin Van Buren
First president to use a middle name: John Quincy Adams
First man to become president as a result of the 25th Amendment: Gerald Ford
First winning president ticket of 2 sitting U.S. senators: JFK & LBJ
Abraham Lincoln was the first U.S. president to wear a beard; this man was the second: Ulysses S. Grant
First & last to preside over exactly 48 states: William Howard Taft & Dwight Eisenhower
His first term saw the turn of the 20th century & the annexation of Guam & Puerto Rico: McKinley
First president born after the country won its independence: Martin Van Buren
First president to die in office: William Henry Harrison
First Republican president: Lincoln
First president for whom all women were eligible to vote: Warren G. Harding
First U.S. coin with the likeness of a president was this coin based on a photo taken in Mathew Brady's studio: Lincoln penny
In 1835 Richard Lawrence tried to kill this seventh president, the first time such an attempt was made: Andrew Jackson
First president born after the adoption of the U.S. Constitution: John Tyler
First sitting president to visit Hawaii: FDR
After serving one term, this first Quaker president was defeated for re-election in 1932 by FDR: (Herbert) Hoover
First president to ride in a car: William McKinley
His first inaugural address, in 1801, was also the first delivered in Washington, D.C.: Jefferson
First president to make a radio broadcast (speaking to WWI troops in 1919): Woodrow Wilson
First incumbent president to take part in a campaign debate with a rival candidate: Gerald Ford (1976)
First (and only) U.S. president to take the oath of office aboard an airplane Lyndon Johnson
At his second inauguration, Coolidge took the oath of office from this former president, a first: William Howard Taft
First Republican to serve 2 full terms as president: Ulysses S. Grant
First man sworn in as U.S. president on a January 20: FDR (1937)
John Hanson is considered by some the first U.S. president, as he was the first to serve under these: Articles of Confederation
First president inaugurated in Washington, D.C.: Thomas Jefferson
First U.S. president to serve just 4 years: John Adams
First sitting U.S. senator elected president: Warren G. Harding
First president born in Missouri -- Lamar, Missouri, to be exact: Harry S. Truman
First sitting president to meet a pope in the U.S. when he met Paul VI: Lyndon Johnson
First California native to become vice president & the first to become president: Richard Nixon
First West Point graduate to become president: Ulysses S. Grant
First sitting president to visit South America: FDR (His 1934 trip to Cartagena, Colombia)
First president to serve 2 terms in office: George Washington
First president who had been a U.S. senator, he represented Virginia from 1790 to 1794: Monroe
First president not born a British subject (from Kinderhook): Martin Van Buren
First president to marry in the White House; also the first to have a child born there: Grover Cleveland
First veteran of the U.S. Navy to serve as president: JFK
First president to preside over all 50 states: Eisenhower
First president to hold an open press conference with reporters: Woodrow Wilson
First president who was not a college graduate: Washington
First president to use campaign buttons: McKinley
First president to use a phone (his phone number was 1): Hayes
First president to serve the nation from coast to coast: Polk
First president to ride in a train: Jackson
First living president to appear on U.S. paper money--on a $10 demand note authorized in 1861: Abraham Lincoln

Please feel free to add or correct if necessary.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

goatman wrote:(OMG that was the year SW premiered and 'Annie Hall' won Best Picture, Gosh who the heck decides these awards?! How many of us ever even saw Annie Hall or even remember it; but yet who has NOT seen SW?!? Sigh...
I'll be honest, I had to look up what you meant by "SW"... I think Annie Hall holds up and there are plenty worse selections that Oscar has made... Argo comes to mind... We already have the box office charts to tell us how many people saw a movie, we don't need the Oscars for that.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
goatman wrote:(OMG that was the year SW premiered and 'Annie Hall' won Best Picture, Gosh who the heck decides these awards?! How many of us ever even saw Annie Hall or even remember it; but yet who has NOT seen SW?!? Sigh...
I'll be honest, I had to look up what you meant by "SW"... I think Annie Hall holds up and there are plenty worse selections that Oscar has made... Argo comes to mind... We already have the box office charts to tell us how many people saw a movie, we don't need the Oscars for that.
At least he didn't say SWIVANH.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

You guys are mean. I'm gonna cry! Now I found out Annie hall is AFI #4th funniest comedy of all time. Somehow I just don't get it... sigh, it's not you, it's me baby. At least knowing these sad facts made it possible to instantly recognize Diane Keaton as the title character actress in said film (clue featured in EXP).

More importantly, super post on prez hx. Appearing in game #2819, 2120 "Martin Van Buren was first pres not born a British subject." And FJ #4289; "First President not of British descent." He was born 5 Dec 1782 in his grandfather's tavern in Kinderhook, NY, to Dutch immigrant farmers. He was named for his grandfather of same name. Unfair rumors exist that he was technically a Canadian, based on confusing entries in the family bible, but his birth was duly registered in NY (#4475). Known as the 'Red Fox or the Wizard of Kinderhook' (#4165, 3152, 661), an allusion to Thomas Jefferson's nickname, "Red Fox" for his bright red hair, Van Buren was called the 'Little Magician' (#6156, 3614, 2769) for his uncanny political cunning in politicking (#5425) to form the "Albany Regency', and also his short stature, "Little Van" (5'6"; two inches taller than Madison, the shortest Prez: #5958, 2864, 371); he was also known as Malty (#3602) and Old Kinderhook, a nickname he sometimes signed himself as 'OK'; which is the word's origin (#5605, 5428).

More fun facts:

• He presided over the economic Panic of 1837, earning the nickname Martin Van Ruin.
• Obtained 'Most favored Nation' trading status for Turkey (#3815) before he became VP.
• Forced to resign as Secretary of State(#5674) from Jackson's 'Kitchen Cabinet' he stayed on and was elected VP in 1832 (#5598, 2962, 2882, 1296; appointment of VP during 'casual vacancy' was disallowed until 1967 25th Amendment; until then the post went unfilled. John C. Calhoun resigned in Dec1831 in protest of Jackson & Van Buren, leaving Veep empty for three months.)
• His appointment as Jackson's Minister to Great Britain was rejected by the Senate after he had already been sent to England (#6677, 1296)
• Served as NY senator 1821-1828 (#6471, 2882)
• He chaired the Senate with two loaded pistols in view of the emotionally charged atmosphere
• He kept two tiger cubs as pets.
• He is remotely related to Teddy Roosevelt (third cousin twice removed; hence, Van Buren, FDR and TR are all of Dutch ancestry, #1201).
• Van Buren was first of seven presidents to be Sworn in by CJUS Roger B. Taney (Van Buren, Wm H Harrison, Tyler, Polk, Pierce, Buchanan, Lincoln: #4233)
• He was the only incumbent president to run for re-election without a vice president.
• He presided over the economic Panic of 1837, earning the nickname Martin Van Ruin.
• He was the first president born as a United States citizen. (#5762, 5052)
• Until George H. W. Bush, Martin Van Buren was the last vice president to be elected to succeed the president under whom he served. (FJ #5432; Tyler, A. Johnson, Arthur, T.R., Coolidge, Truman, LBJ & Ford were not elected president at succession; Nixon failed in 1960)
•During his inauguration, there were roughly 20,000 people cheering for his predecessor, Andrew Jackson.
•Van Buren’s cousin and wife, Hannah Hoes Van Buren, died of tuberculosis before Van Buren became president, and his daughter in law, Angelica Singleton Van Buren, Abraham Van Buren's wife served as first lady. His daughter died leaving only three boys, Abraham, Martin, John (John said; "Vote early and often!"; #4624, 505).
• He was the only president for whom English was a second language (Dutch was spoken at home; FJ #6726).
• He was the eighth president, the eighth vice president and lived to see the election of eight different presidents from eight different states. (#5009)
• His inept handling of the Caroline affair in 1839 strained relations with Great Britain and he narrowly avoided war with Canada.
• Blocked the admission of Texas to the Union in 1836. (#2882)
• His VP Richard Johnson claimed to have killed Tecumseh. (#5584). Richard Johnson was also the only VP ever elected by the Senate under the provisions of the 12th Amendment (sounds like DD or FJ material!)
• After getting trounced in 1840 by Wm Henry Harrison (Log Cabin and Hard Cider; Tippecanoe and Tyler Too! #2882) he ran unsuccessfully in 1844 & 1848 as a Free-Soiler; he later served as a presidential elector for "Handsome Frank' Pierce and James 'The Bachelor" Buchanan in 1852 & 1856. (#5349, 4966, FJ#4198: Remember 1841 & 1881: two years with 3 presidents, FJ #6552; and FJ#6393: there were SIX presidents Jan 1, 1841 - Dec 31, 1850, most in any ten year period = Van Buren, Wm H Harrison, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Fillmore; and three Pres ran on 3rd party ticket after office; Van Buren, Fillmore and TR.)
• Planned to deport the Amistad detainees back to Spain to avoid sanctions- and declined to intervene in Missouri Gov Boggs Mormon Extermination Order.
• retired to Lindenwald, NY: German for Linden Wood, where he became a gentleman farmer ('planter' was the profession of most early presidents! #5997, 2998)
• His estate was the origin of the inspiration for Ichabod Crane character in Washington Irving's story, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow"; Irving later declined Van Buren's offer to become Secretary of the Navy (#2779)
• Abigail Van Buren (Esther Pauline Friedman/Philips = Dear Abby; NB: sister Pauline Esther Friedman = Ann Landers!) chose her pen name based on David's praise of Abigail; "Blessed is your advice and blessed are you" and 8th president (#4522, 4124, 3369, 2121; FJ#6631)
• Van Buren is only prez with 2-word last name (#4488)
• He assured the South he would protect the peculiar institution of slavery wherever it existed (#2882)

This had been such great fun I think I'll spin up a similar post on all these 19th century presidents! Stay tuned...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

What was SW?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Bamaman wrote:What was SW?
South West, Kim Kardashian's new baby.

(Star Wars)
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Sherm wrote:...

Jeopardy, for me has become a self-competition on a nightly basis. I truly enjoy seeing how I do. It would be neat to be able to get on the show or even an audition, but I’m half afraid that If I made the show it would ruin it for me. What do you shoot for then, because you are going to lose and its going to happen very quickly.
You have to constantly refresh and review everything...best site I found is http://www.jeopardytrivia.com/

Just hit it 3-4-5 times a week and pick a diff category to drill on. This site is very thorough but not exhaustive. You can buy their book on Amazon for about ten bucks and read at lunch, while sitting in offices, traveling, whenever you have an otherwise wasted hour. I write in the margins when I discover new stuff not in the book lists. You can also get the J! A&Q Books 1-4 very cheaply to read in down time. I used to read all this on the train. When in doctor's offices you can usually find a Bible or bring your own pocket one along to pore over. Rather than doing marathon sessions for hours atta time, you will learn better and retain more from little snippets and 'sound bytes' scattered throughout the day; it's how we are wired :)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Speaking of Jim Fixx...

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Vanya wrote:Speaking of Jim Fixx...

Jim Fixx has another J! tie-in. Before he wrote books about running, he wrote a book entitled "Games for the Super-Intelligent," a hardcover copy of which still resides on a bookshelf in my home. It's a collection of puzzles and brain teasers pitched at a very difficult level, some of which came from Mensa tests.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote:Jim Fixx has another J! tie-in. Before he wrote books about running, he wrote a book entitled "Games for the Super-Intelligent," a hardcover copy of which still resides on a bookshelf in my home. It's a collection of puzzles and brain teasers pitched at a very difficult level, some of which came from Mensa tests.
And also More Games .... I have them both.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Woof wrote:Jim Fixx has another J! tie-in. Before he wrote books about running, he wrote a book entitled "Games for the Super-Intelligent," a hardcover copy of which still resides on a bookshelf in my home. It's a collection of puzzles and brain teasers pitched at a very difficult level, some of which came from Mensa tests.
He's the same guy!? I never knew that.