Wednesday, March 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mhepbaum
Contributor

Re: Wednesday, March 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mhepbaum »

skullturf wrote:
Vowela wrote:Left is usually front, and right is usually back. Using the opposite is visually confusing.
I don't think you can make an absolute statement like that. Some people might find it more intuitive to think of the right side as the front side, and some people might find it more intuitive to think of the left side as the front side. Have you done a survey?

Usually when we depict times on a graph, we put the later times on the right side of the graph, so moving to the right would be going "forward" in time.
I am loving this back-and-forth debate because while watching tonight, I was screaming "ONE STEP FORWARD TWO STEPS BACK ONE STEP FORWARD TWO STEPS BACK WHAT HOW ARE YOU NOT GETTING THIS?"

Then my husband, standing next to me, shrugged and said, "I'm not sure I would've gotten it -- "right" being "forward" is completely culturally specific. I mean, *I* think of 'right' as 'forward' and 'left' as 'back,' because my first language is English. If it were Hebrew, I'd go the other way. I probably wouldn't have rung in and said that because I'd think it, but then think it can't possibly be the right answer because I'd second-guess myself thinking the writers wouldn't possibly assume everyone would have that same association, since there's nothing explicitly saying RIGHT has to be the same as FORWARD."

I was like :shock: OH MY GOD YOU'RE RIGHT.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

grindcore wrote:
Vowela wrote:
Golf wrote:
Vowela wrote:In the "one step forward, two steps back" clue, the graphic they used had two steps forward and one step back. I was half expecting "step out of line" to get overturned since it fit the graphic better than the actual answer did. Wasn't sure since it didn't really fit the clue, but still seemed possible.
The top step moved to the right(forward) while the bottom two steps moved to the left(back).
Left is usually front, and right is usually back. Using the opposite is visually confusing.
You must be terrible at Super Mario.
Au Contraire! He can play it backward better than you can forward.
mhepbaum wrote:Then my husband, standing next to me, shrugged and said, "I'm not sure I would've gotten it -- "right" being "forward" is completely culturally specific. I mean, *I* think of 'right' as 'forward' and 'left' as 'back,' because my first language is English. If it were Hebrew, I'd go the other way. I probably wouldn't have rung in and said that because I'd think it, but then think it can't possibly be the right answer because I'd second-guess myself thinking the writers wouldn't possibly assume everyone would have that same association, since there's nothing explicitly saying RIGHT has to be the same as FORWARD."
I think it's highly unlikely that the writers consider how a person of another language or culture might misinterpret what is obvious in our language or culture.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote:
alietr wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Of course camels make sense in a country not terribly far from Egypt.
Casablanca and Cairo are almost 2,300 air miles apart. It's a big continent.
Yeah, but how varied is the intervening geography? It makes some sense to take a guess about Casablanca based on what you know of Cairo. It makes less sense to take a guess about Boston based on what you know of Phoenix.
That actually wasn't meant as a criticism of the OP. And you're absolutely right that Morocco is similar in nature to Egypt for a number of geophysical attributes. It was more of a comment that most people don't recognize just how big Africa is. Besides, name a North African animal. Camel comes to mind pretty darn quickly.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I was at Bill's watch party with jfrumkin and Rafferty Barnes. He was in good spirits. He didn't regret his aggressive wagers, just that he couldn't pull out the answers in time. Right after the show, Bill ran trivia at the restaurant and our team won. :)
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mhepbaum wrote:I was like :shock: OH MY GOD YOU'RE RIGHT.
I agree. When I first read Vowela's statement I thought "what the heck are you talking about?" I definitely associate right with forward.

SeanC
Contributor

Post by SeanC »

Category 13 wrote:
Golf wrote:
Category 13 wrote:I wonder if Alex tipping the challengers off about Anne's previous reckless FJ wager had anything to do with it.
Considering both challengers were sitting in the audience watching the Clavin and within five minutes summoned to the green room to prepare for the next game, Alex was simply repeating what everybody had just witnessed.
I wasn't aware that players in the queue for a taping day were allowed to sit in the audience for that day's taping unless they had already played and lost.
Yes, they draw names for the first two (Monday) challengers and announce them in the green room, then herd the remaining players to two specific rows in the audience while the first game is getting set up. Then the coordinators actually come into the audience to announce the next two players and pull them back to the green room to get ready while the rest sit and wait for the next game.

After a player is finished (has lost), he or she can stay to watch the rest of the taping, but is no longer seated with the still-to-play group, and sits with the contestants' guests group.

I think the exception is tournaments--on the first tape day (quarterfinals), they keep the players sequestered in the green room, away from the studio, so no one has inside info from watching the previous games as to where the wild card cutoffs might be.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

INstaget FJ having gone skiing there and been trapped on the road in a blizzard at 2 Am. Nevahfahgeddaboutit! 48R. GG. 8-)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

Did AT really need to announce "it's not a runaway" when the first and second place contestants had $11400 and $10200?

SeanC
Contributor

Post by SeanC »

So, my (semi-) funny story regarding last night's game:

This week's shows were taped on Tuesday of my tape week, but I was to be a Wednesday contestant (I'm on the March 15th show), so Tuesday was my travel day. I'm sitting in the Dallas airport on my layover, on the way to L.A., killing time reading Twitter, and see a post from Alex Jacob wishing luck to his friend who is taping that day, and that Alex "feels sorry" for whoever has to play against this person. I tweet back that this is exactly what I don't need to hear on my way to Jeopardy!.

So the next morning, I expend way more brain cells than I probably should in the hotel lobby, on the shuttle, and during the green room orientation trying to suss out whether either of the carry-over players from the previous day's taping (the returning champ from the day's last game, and another player whose name didn't get pulled on Tuesday) could possibly be the person Alex was warning the world about, and realizing there's no polite way to inquire about it without making it sound like I'm scared (I wasn't, totally, but any inside information is good to have).

So I was entertained to find out this week that Bill was the person Alex had been referencing. And his gameplay style didn't disappoint--had he managed that first DD, I think he would have romped and been a potential multi-day champion.

boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I think Katrina was in a very interesting spot for wagering, with way more information than most contestants get:
- Bill wagered huge on two daily doubles (both geography) and missed both, and the fj category was Literary geography. If I were her I would count on a huge bet from him, and smallish odds that he get it correct. He can't catch you if you wager small (<1000$), but I wouldn't worry about him saving some money in case of a miss. He'll likely have $10,400 or zero.
- Annie's huge wager yesterday probably means she is wagering big again. She got the geography FJ yesterday and some literature questions, but I'd need the archive to see her performance today. Covering her is a huge wager, and a miss would leave you with a small amount remaining.

This is a ton of information compared to most contestants at FJ time. Now is the time to not just blindly bet to cover, as most leaders do, but to think carefully about your history with "literary geography". If the odds are poor for you to get the question, I might wager nothing. If you think you have a >50% chance of getting the question, then you should definitely cover Annie, since she has martian wagering tendencies and has demonstrated she can get similar questions.

That $4000 wager though. Ugh. Neither fish nor fowl.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote:I was really hoping Bill would have a sole get in FJ. This was a rough night for the poor guy. Congrats to the new champ who played well and won with her bad bet because the champ made a worse one. Anyone have any theories on those wagers?
Only the same "theory" that I proposed based on Annie's wager in Tuesday's game: 1) that Annie doesn't know a darned thing about wagering strategy, and 2) that unless she suddenly learned something about it before her second game, it would probably be her undoing.

This game, she should have wagered just enough to cover a doubling bet from third place: namely $201. If she misses FJ and loses to either of her opponents, at least it's from getting the wrong answer. And no problem with that. If she answers correctly, she locks in second place, and wins the game if the leader wagers sensibly and misses.

As it is, just another sad, sad loss of a game a contestant should have won and would have won with a rudimentary knowledge of Wagering Strategy 101.

Now, the question of FJ: The clue asked to name this geographic "feature." Knowing that Chamonix is in the French Alps, I answered "The Alps." I'm guessing that if this were any other clue besides FJ, it would have generated a BMS. Since no BMS is possible in FJ, I call BS on this clue. How is one to know how SPECIFIC a "feature" they were asking for? The Alps certainly a geographic feature of France, not so?

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Linear Gnome wrote:I'll beat skullturf to this one: Bill should not have gotten credit for greatest common denominator. Least common denominator on a clue for least common multiple, sure. But greatest common denominator for greatest common divisor makes absolutely no sense.

BTW, do you think they would have accepted meerkat for mongoose? As far as I can tell, meerkat is one species of mongoose and the given picture looked more like a meerkat than the other species shown on Wikipedia.
Thank you. I sure as heck thought that was a meerkat.

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

John Boy wrote:Now, the question of FJ: The clue asked to name this geographic "feature." Knowing that Chamonix is in the French Alps, I answered "The Alps." I'm guessing that if this were any other clue besides FJ, it would have generated a BMS. Since no BMS is possible in FJ, I call BS on this clue. How is one to know how SPECIFIC a "feature" they were asking for? The Alps certainly a geographic feature of France, not so?
But it is not the feature referred to in the poem, so it cannot be correct. This is a case where it's too bad if you choose not to be specific enough.

Rex

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Rex Kramer wrote:
John Boy wrote:Now, the question of FJ: The clue asked to name this geographic "feature." Knowing that Chamonix is in the French Alps, I answered "The Alps." I'm guessing that if this were any other clue besides FJ, it would have generated a BMS. Since no BMS is possible in FJ, I call BS on this clue. How is one to know how SPECIFIC a "feature" they were asking for? The Alps certainly a geographic feature of France, not so?
But it is not the feature referred to in the poem, so it cannot be correct. This is a case where it's too bad if you choose not to be specific enough.

Rex
Correct. The title of the poem is "Mont Blanc" so there'd be no way "The Alps" would ever get a BMS.

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo »

econgator wrote:
corvo wrote:Shelley's spelling of Chamonix really did throw me off the scent.
I lucked out, because I was in the kitchen when Alex read the clue, so I only heard his pronunciation. Mont Blanc quickly came to mind and by the time I saw the spelling, I had no reason -- or time -- to change it.
I was thrown by "geographic feature" and wasn't sure if Alps would be sufficient so I scribbled Mont Blanc (The Alps) and wondered if they would rule for or against.

morbeedo

Post by morbeedo »

grindcore wrote:Island country man, damn.
Yup.
Last edited by morbeedo on Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morbeedo

Post by morbeedo »

Johnblue wrote:Oy, another brutal game! I thought the guy would runaway with the game but his geography was a weak spot. Odd betting again but I usually don't get too worked up about that. I wonder how long the new champ will last.
Gotta give him credit for Lithuania. I always draw a complete blank when Jeopardy! throws up a map. I can't explain it but it looks more like Westeros than Europe.

brick

Post by brick »

SeanC wrote:So, my (semi-) funny story regarding last night's game:

This week's shows were taped on Tuesday of my tape week, but I was to be a Wednesday contestant (I'm on the March 15th show), so Tuesday was my travel day. I'm sitting in the Dallas airport on my layover, on the way to L.A., killing time reading Twitter, and see a post from Alex Jacob wishing luck to his friend who is taping that day, and that Alex "feels sorry" for whoever has to play against this person. I tweet back that this is exactly what I don't need to hear on my way to Jeopardy!.

So the next morning, I expend way more brain cells than I probably should in the hotel lobby, on the shuttle, and during the green room orientation trying to suss out whether either of the carry-over players from the previous day's taping (the returning champ from the day's last game, and another player whose name didn't get pulled on Tuesday) could possibly be the person Alex was warning the world about, and realizing there's no polite way to inquire about it without making it sound like I'm scared (I wasn't, totally, but any inside information is good to have).

So I was entertained to find out this week that Bill was the person Alex had been referencing. And his gameplay style didn't disappoint--had he managed that first DD, I think he would have romped and been a potential multi-day champion.
Nice to close the circle on that, I bet. Best of retroactive luck on your game/s!

boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

John Boy wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:I'll beat skullturf to this one: Bill should not have gotten credit for greatest common denominator. Least common denominator on a clue for least common multiple, sure. But greatest common denominator for greatest common divisor makes absolutely no sense.

BTW, do you think they would have accepted meerkat for mongoose? As far as I can tell, meerkat is one species of mongoose and the given picture looked more like a meerkat than the other species shown on Wikipedia.
Thank you. I sure as heck thought that was a meerkat.
The question asked for the "banded" type of what animal. There is a banded mongoose, but no such thing as a banded meerkat.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

morbeedo wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Oy, another brutal game! I thought the guy would runaway with the game but his geography was a weak spot. Odd betting again but I usually don't get too worked up about that. I wonder how long the new champ will last.
Gotta give him credit for Lithuania. I always draw a complete blank when Jeopardy! throws up a map. I can't explain it but it looks more like Westeros than Europe.
The Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth was a significant country in 17th and 18th century European history, so at least worth knowing it's a thing for future reference.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012