Wednesday, March 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7253, 2016-03-09

CONTESTANTS
Bill Patschak, a trivia writer from Frederick, Maryland
Katrina Mundinger, a musician from Minneapolis, Minnesota
Annie Moriondo, a bookseller from Somerville, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,300)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. If you were watching yesterday, something unusual occurred on our program. Annie, who had the game won at the end of Double Jeopardy!, couldn't be caught, made a substantial wager in Final Jeopardy! and could have lost the game. Let's see what develops today as she faces Katrina and Bill. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And we begin today with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WORD PUZZLES (4/5)
DETAILS ON THE BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNER (5/5)
AMERICAN LITERATURE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LIKE A BOSS (2/5)
THE MARCH OF TIME (5/5)
AKA (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bill: 15 R, 2 W
Annie: 5 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Katrina: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Annie found the Daily Double on the 1st clue. Annie had no money, Katrina was scoreless, and Bill had nothing in the bank. Annie wagered $1,000.

AMERICAN LITERATURE $600: This book begins, "Early in the spring of 1750, in the village of Juffure... a man-child was born to Omoro and Binta Kinte"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Bill: $4,400
Annie: $3,000
Katrina: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Bill Patschak is a trivia writer from Maryland. And he did something adventurous, something that I don't think I would ever do. And that is, you jumped off a cliff. First of all, where did this take place?

Bill: Yeah, so, me and my friend Chad went to a quarry in West Virginia. Uh, it's illegal to go there. It's trespassing, but we did it anyway 'cause--

Alex: Of course.

Bill: --we were in the mood for an adventure.

Alex: All right.

Bill: So, uh, it was, like, 50 feet. There was, like, a quarry that was 300 feet deep, all water. And we swam across the lake, jumped--climbed up, and jumped off, and it was a blast.

Alex: No problems?

Bill: Nope.

Alex: Okay, lucky for you.

Alex: Katrina Munzinger from--Munds...

Katrina: Mundinger.

Alex: Mundinger, sorry. From Minneapolis.

Katrina: Yep.

Alex: A musician who classifies herself as a clarinet evangelist?

Katrina: Yep. I've been playing clarinet since 1979, um, and majored in it in school. Went to a conservatory.

Alex: But why evangelist?

Katrina: Because I love the clarinet so much that I just want to share great performances of it by others. Um, I want to share with my students how to make different sounds so that they can love it as much as I do. It's just sharing the clarinet love.

Alex: Good for you. That's a great story.

Alex: Annie Moriondo is from Massachusetts. She is a bookseller, who, in her spare time, is a singer/songwriter. So we're back to music here.

Annie: Yeah.

Alex: Now singer/songwriter--what kind of music are we talking about?

Annie: Sort of an acoustic folk type of music.

Alex: Acoustic folk. Do you play guitar?

Annie: Yes, I play guitar and a little bit of piano.

Alex: Of all of the great folk singers, performers from the past, who would you list as your favorite?

Annie: I'm a huge fan of Richard Thompson. And more recently Vienna Teng. She's pretty great.

Alex: Okay, good.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LIKE A BOSS $200: Cornell's Tech Campus on New York's Roosevelt Island got a $100 million donation from this ex-mayor, now back in business

LIKE A BOSS $800: NPR fans know Harvard Business Review listed the CEO of Novo this as 2015's best-performing CEO in the world

WORD PUZZLES $600: With this phrase, there's not a lot of progress being made
(Annie: What is step by step?)
(Bill: What's a step out of line?)

LIKE A BOSS $1000: In 2015 this ex-Microsoft man & L.A. Clippers owner was the richest sports team owner in the U.S., with $21.6 billion
(Katrina: Who is Mark Cuban?)
(Bill: Who is Allen?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Bill: $6,000
Annie: $3,800
Katrina: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Shelley subtitled a poem named for this famous geographic feature “lines written in the vale of Chamouni”

Annie Moriondo: 10200-10000=200
Katrina Mundiger: 11400-4000=7400
Bill Patschak: 5200-5200=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mont Blanc (Annie - Matterhorn) (Katrina - Shallot) (Bill - Rock of Gibraltar)
Daily Doubles
Annie: 0+1000
Bill: 8000-8000 & 2000-2000

Coryats
Annie: 9800
Katrina: 11400
Bill: 15200

Combined: 36,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Re: Wednesday, March 9, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

*grabs popcorn*
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Well, if you liked yesterday's wagering discussion, you'll love tonight's. Alex kicked things off right by mentioning Annie's wager from yesterday.

I'm guessing Golf loved Bill's wagering on DDs. Amazing he was still in the game in FJ after losing $10,000 on DD bets. I got them both, but they were a little tricky when you had to pick a country that hasn't existed for many years.

No chance for me on FJ, guessed the boot of Italy.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I knew the Vale of Chamouni referred to the French Alps, but I said Matterhorn instead of Mont Blanc.

The $8000 DD bet was hubris. (Twice in two days I've used that word after not using it in many months.) The $2000 DD and the all-in FJ were bets of desperation necessitated by the earlier hubris.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Greg Vinton
Lost to Matt Jackson; Wasn't a Runaway

Post by Greg Vinton »

floridagator wrote: The $8000 DD bet was hubris. (Twice in two days I've used that word after not using it in many months.) The $2000 DD and the all-in FJ were bets of desperation necessitated by the earlier hubris.
You would have preferred a more "humble" bet, say $2,000? Then right or wrong he probably has a small lead going into final, bets big to cover second, and loses on the triple stumper. He was playing the odds that the DD would be easier than FJ (which I think it was) and it just didn't work out. Doesn't mean it was hubris.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I was really hoping Bill would have a sole get in FJ. This was a rough night for the poor guy. Congrats to the new champ who played well and won with her bad bet because the champ made a worse one. Anyone have any theories on those wagers?

I didn't get Sri Lanka, so I would have lost there. I did get Russia and Prussia after some mental floundering. I doubt that I'd have gotten them under the lights.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Island country man, damn.
corvo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by corvo »

Shelley's spelling of Chamonix really did throw me off the scent.

This game was pretty much a disaster.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

corvo wrote:Shelley's spelling of Chamonix really did throw me off the scent.
I lucked out, because I was in the kitchen when Alex read the clue, so I only heard his pronunciation. Mont Blanc quickly came to mind and by the time I saw the spelling, I had no reason -- or time -- to change it.
Golf

Post by Golf »

TS on one step forward two steps back? What, no Paula Abdul fans here?

Bill made it an $8k TDD early in DJ, now that's somebody who understands giving himself the best chance to win the game. Then doing the same shortly after. After all, the correct decision on both are independent events.

An interesting back and forth battle late in the game.

Great, after all this excitement lately we've got a champ who subscribes to "just bet 4k" regardless of situation. In Bill's situation, if 2nd place seemed to grasp wagering theory, then everything is the valid bet. But after yesterday's show, I think Bill needs to bet 0.

Lastly, I can't wait to hear how OQ spins Annie's FJ wager in a positive light.
Last edited by Golf on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Katrina on her win. I had 40 correct responses including these triple stumpers: Bloomberg, "one step forward, two steps back", and Novo Nordisk. I also got the missed Daily Doubles of Sri Lanka and Russia/Prussia, and I got FJ.
Last edited by Abraxas on Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
OccamsElectricRazor

Post by OccamsElectricRazor »

Sorry, Bill. I've been there. Sometimes you have days where nothing goes right, and sometimes those days are under the spotlight when lots of people are watching and you don't get another chance.

Also, that first DD was not "hubris". The correct term is "going for the throat". The only other bet there that makes sense is $5, if you absolutely hate the category. Apparently Bill didn't. It just didn't work out.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I liked Bill's DD wagers. Missing Sri Lanka when spotted 'Asian island' and 'Sinhalese'? Yikes.

Managed to figure out FJ. Too bad it took 35 seconds.

Didn't even wager to cover Annie. What's left to say about the wagering lately?
Golf wrote:TS on one step forward two steps back? What, no Paula Abdul fans here?
And now I have that song stuck in my head. Grr.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

In the "one step forward, two steps back" clue, the graphic they used had two steps forward and one step back. I was half expecting "step out of line" to get overturned since it fit the graphic better than the actual answer did. Wasn't sure since it didn't really fit the clue, but still seemed possible.
mpahu
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mpahu »

Another endorsement for Just Wager $4000! Always glad to see a contestant following Cory's advice.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Vowela wrote:In the "one step forward, two steps back" clue, the graphic they used had two steps forward and one step back. I was half expecting "step out of line" to get overturned since it fit the graphic better than the actual answer did. Wasn't sure since it didn't really fit the clue, but still seemed possible.
The top step moved to the right(forward) while the bottom two steps moved to the left(back).
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I'll beat skullturf to this one: Bill should not have gotten credit for greatest common denominator. Least common denominator on a clue for least common multiple, sure. But greatest common denominator for greatest common divisor makes absolutely no sense.

BTW, do you think they would have accepted meerkat for mongoose? As far as I can tell, meerkat is one species of mongoose and the given picture looked more like a meerkat than the other species shown on Wikipedia.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So so so disappointing. Yet another case of someone who easily had TOC potential going down in their first game. Yeah, Sri Lanka was an instaget for me. Sinhalese should be Pavlovian for Sri Lanka.

I was way off on FJ though. For some reason, I dismissed the Chamouni part and was looking at 'vale' instead.