2011 Tournament of Champions Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

UniquePerspective
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

2011 Tournament of Champions Thread

Post by UniquePerspective »

Might as well get an official thread for this since it starts tomorrow.

EDIT: The minisite is now up, check cheezguyty's post, and also, there are discussions and predictions based on the match-ups, which also will contain spoilers if you do not wish to be spoiled about a match-up.
Last edited by UniquePerspective on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aggiebud
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: 2011 Tournament of Champions Thread

Post by aggiebud »

I'm sure, if properly mined, that Facebook will give nearly everyone's date of broadcast.
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

I have found out seven contestants' airdates thanks to Facebook and Google searches:

Wednesday, November 2: Jay Rhee
Thursday, November 3: Roger Craig, Kara Spak
Friday, November 4: John Krizel, Joon Pahk
Monday, November 7: Erin McLean
Tuesday, November 8: Justin Sausville
saintanthony
Jeopardy 2008-B Teen Tournament

Post by saintanthony »

And using my incredible powers of deduction, and searching, I can update Chuck's list to:

Wednesday, November 2: Jay Rhee, Tom Nissley, Charles Temple
Thursday, November 3: Roger Craig, Kara Spak, Brian Meachum
Friday, November 4: John Krizel, Joon Pahk, Tom Kunzen
Monday, November 7: Erin McLean
Tuesday, November 8: Justin Sausville
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Official Matchups: (SPOILERS)
Spoiler
WEDNESDAY: Tom Nissley / Jay Rhee / Charles Temple
THURSDAY: Roger Craig / Kara Spak / Brian Meacham
FRIDAY: Joon Pahk / Tom Kunzen / John Krizel
MONDAY: Buddy Wright / Erin McLean / Paul Kursky
TUESDAY: Justin Sausville / Mark Runsvold / Christopher Short

For me:

Tom Nissley, Roger, Joon, Paul and either Mark/Christopher, hard call there.

I guess for wild cards: Tom K., Brian, Jay, and whichever of the two doesn't win between Mark/Christopher
Last edited by Roadgeek Adam on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ok ... so I'm going with:

Tom, Roger, Joon, Buddy, Mark to win
Tom, Jay, Erin, and Justin as WCs.
UniquePerspective

So now I can predict. I'll also do "craps" and giggles scoring for predictions for the quarter final, 1 point for predicting a semi-finalist and how they do it (game winner or wild card), and .5 points if you predict a semi-finalist but wrong way of how they did it.

11/2/11:
Tom N. vs Jay vs Charles

Prediction: Tom, I just think he's been the most tested and can come out on top as a result. Jay certainly could be a factor, but at the end of the day I think Mr. Nissley will take it.

11/3/11:
Roger vs Kara vs Brian:

Prediction: Roger, with no disrespect to Kara or Brian I think this might be the biggest blow out of the tourney. We know what Roger can do, and I think he'll do it well again. Although one aggressive Daily Double gone wrong and it might go to Brian.

11/4/11:
Joon vs Tom K. vs John:

Prediction: WOW. This might be one of the craziest match-ups I've ever seen in a Tournament setting, to have these three together like that. I'm going with Joon just because he's been tested most recently and will probably have studying habits fresh in his mind. I would not be surprised however to see one wild card come out of this, if not two.

11/7/11:
Buddy vs Erin vs Paul:
This could be interesting as well, because Buddy and Erin have probably had a lot of time to mentally prep, particularly Erin since she's known her spot for some time. However, Paul seems like the most consistent of the three, and he's going to be my choice as a result.

11/8/11:
Justin vs Mark vs Christopher:
First of all, is this the first time we've ever seen two super-champs in a quarter final match up? That alone is impressive. If Mark has aggression that fails, I think it'll go to Christopher, but with aggression that's worked well so far for him, Mark's my choice.

Wild card predictions:
In no particular order, I'm going with Tom K., John, Jay and Christopher. I think that third quarter is just going to have that factor that produces two, I think that due to Charles perhaps not being tested in the traditional tournament sense that he'll gain from a lot of clues that Tom N. might miss, and I think that Christopher was probably the more consistent of the super champs, so I'll respect him for that and give him my last slot.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

My predictions:

Winners - Tom N., Roger, Tom K., Erin, and Mark
Wildcards - Brian, Joon, Justin, and Christopher
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

econgator wrote:Ok ... so I'm going with:

Which Tom do you think will win? And which one nabs a wild card?
UniquePerspective

chuck5982 wrote:

I can't speak for econgator for sure, but it seemed like on the top row that he was predicting the 5 games in order from earliest to latest, so that would mean he picks Tom N. to win and Tom K. for the wild card.

EDIT: And seeing Adam's comment, the fact that he has Joon as a winner means by default Tom K. would have to be a wild card in his picks.
Last edited by UniquePerspective on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

chuck5982 wrote:

Tom N does the win in game order, and since he has Joon winning I assume Tom K is the wild card
Adam Seth Moss
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Another note: Sara Heard is in one of the photos, so it can be assumed she was the alternate (for J-Archive purposes).
Adam Seth Moss
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

UniquePerspective wrote:I can't speak for econgator for sure, but it seemed like on the top row that he was predicting the 5 games in order from earliest to latest, so that would mean he picks Tom N. to win and Tom K. for the wild card.
*nod*
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I'd love to give my opinions on the match-ups, but since I've already seen the tournament, they would probably smack too much of foreshadowing. I will say that when I saw the third game's line-up, I only recognized Tom at first (having not seen Joon yet, and not recognizing John with his haircut). Eventually I figured out John was John, and it wasn't till the opening crane shot of the contestants that I saw Joon's name on his monitor (and got excited!).

Also, at the start of the fifth game, I pointed out to Jerome that the four-time champ's grand total was more than either of his 6x opponents'.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Prediction
winners: Tom N., Roger, Joon, Paul, Mark
wild cards: Charles, Jay, Tom K., Christopher

Group of death: Justin/Mark/Christopher, with Tom N./Charles/Jay not too far behind.

I am surprised that they put two gold groupers in the same game (Tom K. and Joon).
cshort
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by cshort »

Hey everybody! I think all us contestants now have public-figure Facebook pages, and I for one intend to update the bejeezus out of mine for the next couple weeks. Already you can see the results of our first pre-TOC Scattergories match :) Here's my link: http://tinyurl.com/3srvvcr
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

QF #1: Tom Nissley (Gold) vs. Jay Rhee (Silver) vs. Charles Temple (Silver)

I don't think it will take long to see if Charles is in over his head in the TOC. His draw of Tom and Jay is a tough one. The path Charles took to get here through the teacher's tournament may not compare to the regular path, but it was the one available to him.

Ignoring that it was a special tournament, I found Charles to come across as a TOC player. If it had been regular play he would fit right in with the regular champs. I think he can do enough to stay competitive between what he knows and his buzzer skills.

Jay was more of a hot and cold player and I expect more sections where we don't hear from him in a while. During those lull times Tom and Charles should be able to score well.

Tom's wins and money have him among the elite in this tournament. He should be able to make the next round with a small FJ wager. Even on a miss he should still be in good position for a wildcard.

If the FJ clue is not a tough one, I like this game to provide three semifinalists.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Tom N. vs. Jay vs. Charles

TPTB didn't waste any time giving us a match up that looks like it will be a doozie. I could see any one of these three guys winning it. I will guess though that one player will maintain a lead throughout the game, another one will stay within striking distance for the whole game, and another one will stay behind but will still have enough money going into FJ to get a wild card spot on a FJ get and a big wager. It's hard to decide which player to assign to which.

In sticking with my original ToC predictions I will say that Tom N. wins after staying in the lead for the entire game and coming up with the correct response to Fj and making a small wager, Charles gets a wild card spot on a FJ miss and a small wager, and Jay comes up with the correct response to FJ and makes a big wager that gets him a wild spot. I originally predicted that Jay would not advance, but I have changed my mind upon seeing the matches.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

I'd like to see one of the women make it to the finals and like to see both Tom Nissley and Tom Kunzen, so that means one will be called Thomas on the finals to avoid confusion.