Thursday, April 21, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 21, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7284, 2016-04-21

Andrew Pau game 5.

WE ASKED: Designer Cynthia Rowley.

CONTESTANTS
Jonpaul Guinn, a quiz host and writer from Providence, Rhode Island
Beth Dunn, a product demonstrator from Brooklyn, New York
Andrew Pau, an assistant professor from Amherst, Ohio (whose 4-day cash winnings total $123,802)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Ah, yes. Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. I'm feeling really good today because we've had a run of excellent champions lately on Jeopardy! Andrew, a case in point. He's earned a lot of money. He's very bright. Beth and Jonpaul, so, watch out. Good luck. Here we go. Let's take a look at the categories. We start off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WOMEN, IMMORTALIZED (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POPULAR WEBSITES (3/5)
REALITY TV JUDGES (4/4)
AROUND THE WORLD (5/5)
YOU NEED FOOD TO GROW ON (4/5)
SHORT "E" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Beth: 8 R, 1 W
Jonpaul: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Andrew had $2,200, Beth had $1,000, and Jonpaul was at $3,800. Andrew wagered $1,600.

WOMEN, IMMORTALIZED $400: Greenville, Ohio honors this 19th century show biz woman & native of the state; note what she's holding

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Andrew: $4,400
Jonpaul: $3,000
Beth: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jonpaul Guinn is a quiz show host and in addition is a writer. Now where do you do your hosting? Where do these quizzes take place?

Jonpaul: Uh, at bars. I host at three different venues in Providence and around the Providence area.

Alex: And do you write a lot of the material yourself?

Jonpaul: I do. It's a national quiz company--Geeks Who Drink. And I write stuff that appears everywhere. So we do six full quizzes a week.

Alex: Wow.

Jonpaul: Every day except for Fridays.

Alex: Do you specialize in one area rather than others--history, entertainment?

Jonpaul: Uh, I do a lot of narrative-based stuff where I try and mess with things like how you did the smooth jamming--the history category a couple of years ago, stuff like that.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Beth Dunn is from Brooklyn, New York, a product demonstrator who's a second-generation Jeopardy! player?

Beth: I am. My mom was on the original Jeopardy! show in 1965.

Alex: Oh, gosh.

Beth: I was in the audience. I was 8 years old.

Alex: Really? Art Fleming was the host at that time.

Beth: Art Fleming.

Alex: Did she win?

Beth: No, she came in third place, but back then, everybody kept the--the money. She won $230, which really was an awful lot of money back then.

Alex: Absolutely. All right. Good.

Beth: Yeah.

Alex: Andrew Pau is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. There has to be an interesting story here because I understand that when you were in college, you shook hands with Mikhail Gorbachev.

Andrew: I shook hands with Mikhail Gorbachev. He was still the leader of the Soviet Union. That dates me a little. Um, and he came to Stanford where I was an undergrad, uh, for an official visit to give a speech. And a bunch of us just lined up along the route where we knew he'd be coming, and I just stuck out my hand. And he shook it.

Alex: Hey, that's a good claim to fame, though.

Andrew: Mm-hmm.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WOMEN, IMMORTALIZED $800: A statue of this ex-slave & abolitionist stands in Florence, Massachusetts, where she lived from 1843 to 1856
(Jonpaul: Who is Harriet Tubman?)

YOU NEED FOOD TO GROW ON $600: Order the sheepshead; like most of these animals, it's a good source of omega-3 fatty acids

POPULAR WEBSITES $400: As of February 2016, this .com boastd 281.9 million blogs
(Jonpaul: What is Wordpress?)
(Andrew: What is Blogspot?)
(Alex: You notice there's no "E" in "boastd" because there's no "E" in [*] also.)

POPULAR WEBSITES $600: 600 reasons you'll name this Jonah Peretti-founded social news site

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Andrew: $7,000
Beth: $5,400
Jonpaul: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 21, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LITERARY NEW YORK CITY (4/5)
HYPHENATED TERMS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIES' VILLAINS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: We'll give you the [*], you give me the movie's title.)
PAST TENSES (3/4)
NEW WORLD EXPLORATION (5/5)
BONE"S" (5/5) (Alex: But each correct response will not end with an "S". It'll begin with the letter "S".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Andrew: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Beth: 7 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Jonpaul: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Andrew snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Andrew had $8,600, Beth had $5,400, and Jonpaul was at $3,400. Andrew wagered $1,400.

MOVIES' VILLAINS $1200: Biff Tannen, whether in 1955, 1985 or 2015 in this film series

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Beth who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Andrew had $18,800, Beth had $8,600, and Jonpaul was at $10,200. Beth wagered $4,000.

HYPHENATED TERMS $1200: The name of this figure in square dancing comes from a corruption of the French for "back to back"
(Alex: Answer--Daily Double. So it may cost him dearly. You don't have enough money to catch Andrew, Beth, but you can move up into second place. We have just about a minute to go now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LITERARY NEW YORK CITY $1600: The New York times called "One Fifth Avenue" a "glossy new offering" from this "Sex and the City" scribe

PAST TENSES $400: It's a homophone of a word for a chimney pipe

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Andrew: $20,400
Beth: $14,200
Jonpaul: $12,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: Well, we won't get to the last one. But we have quite a game. And somebody, I hope, is gonna win a lot of money, once again, today. Here is the Final Jeopardy! category...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CITY NAME ORIGINS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Andrew: Wager $8,001 to cover Beth.
Beth: You ought to wager to cover Jonpaul, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $14,200. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $10,200 (to shut out Jonpaul) or less than $1,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Jonpaul). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Andrew.
Jonpaul: Considering that you're going to lose on a Triple Stumper by at least $200, you need to bet either $2,001, and play for a win if Beth tries to two-thirds Andrew, or bet at least $8,201 to cover Andrew's $0 bet (though, from this position, a wager of all $12,200 is acceptable and perhaps preferred).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This city that's home to an NFL team is named for an 18th century British prime minister

FINAL SCORES
Jonpaul: $12,200 - $5,000 = $7,200 (What is ?) (2nd place)
Beth: $14,200 - $14,100 = $100 (What is Cleveland) (3rd place)
Andrew: $20,400 - $8,001 = $12,399 (What is Abbotsford?) (123803-day champion: $12,399)
(Alex: No, the city of champions--[*], for William Pitt the Elder.)
(Andrew: I was thinking in Canada for some reason.)
(Alex: No, NFL, the National Football League.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Andrew: $19,000, 25 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Jonpaul: $12,200, 13 R, 3 W
Beth: $11,400, 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Combined Coryat: $42,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Andrew: 25/60 = .417
Beth: 15/59 = .254
Jonpaul: 13/58 = .224
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AROUND THE WORLD $600: Dry & crisp rose wines known as Tavel come from this southeastern French river's valley region

AROUND THE WORLD $1000: The trading city of Djenne is found in this country on a caravan route crossing the Sahara

SHORT "E" $1000: From Latin for "to instruct", it means "learned" or "scholarly"
(Jonpaul: What is educated?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; reversed before Daily Double at clue 12 because the "response satisfied all the elements of our clue"]

WOMEN, IMMORTALIZED $200: A plaque at her bronze statue in Manhattan calls her a "delegate to the United Nations" & "the First Lady of the World"
(Beth: What is the Statue of Liberty?)
(Alex: Yes, with a short "E".)
(Andrew: [Laughs] Oh.)

REALITY TV JUDGES $200: (Hi, I'm fashion designer Cynthia Rowley.) I was a guest judge on this reality competition when the challenge for the designers was to make a hideous bridesmaid's dress wearable
(Alex: We have less than a minute now.)

POPULAR WEBSITES $1000: Here is the logo for this site where you share photos & ideas

REALITY TV JUDGES $800: Tom Colicchio blogged "Why Stefan's dish was the worst" in a post called "Hog Hell" on this Bravo show's website
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

MOVIES' VILLAINS $400: Non-spoiler alert! Kylo Ren is the bad guy
[Alex looks to the judges for confirmation on Andrew's response, which apparently did not match what Alex had written on his sheet, before ruling Andrew correct by saying "All right, good."]

NEW WORLD EXPLORATION $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from a waterfront.) In 1673, Frenchmen Louis Joliet & Jacques Marquette traveled from Chicago to Green Bay, mapping this Great Lake's western shore

NEW WORLD EXPLORATION $2000: This Italian in the service of England reached the area of Newfoundland in 1497; son Sebastian was likely a crew member
(Jonpaul: Who is Verrazzano?)
(Andrew: Who is Cabot?)
(Alex: First name?)

HYPHENATED TERMS $400: Pillsbury trademarked this term for a type of contest it has been holding since 1949
(Andrew: What is pie eating?)

HYPHENATED TERMS $800: Historically, these Germanic people lived in & ruled England & Wales until the Norman conquest
(Andrew: Who are the Saxons?)
(Alex: No.)
(Andrew: Oh--Anglo--!)
(Alex: Yes, hyphenated terms. Andrew forgot.)

PAST TENSES $1600: Buy, sell & this third traditional stock analyst rating all have irregular past tenses
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Annie Oakley
Sojourner Truth
the fish
Tumblr
Buzzfeed.com
Back to the Future
do-si-do
Candace Bushnell
flew
Pittsburgh
the Rhône
Mali
erudite
Eleanor Roosevelt
Project Runway
Pinterest
Top Chef
Star Wars Episode VII
Lake Michigan
John Cabot
the Bake-Off
Anglo-Saxons
hold
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CITY NAME ORIGINS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This city that’s home to an NFL team is named for an 18th-century British Prime Minister

Andrew Pau: 20400-8001=12399 (5x = $136,201)
Beth Dunn: 14200-14100=100
JonPaul Guinn: 12200-5000=7200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Pittsburgh (Andrew - Abbotsford) (Beth - Cleveland) (JonPaul - ?)
Daily Doubles
Andrew: 2200+1600
Andrew: 8600+1400
Beth: 8600+4000

Coryats
Andrew: 19000
Beth: 11400
JonPaul: 12200

Combined: 42,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

Instaget FJ. Not up on my British PM's, but thinking of the classic Simpsons scene got me there immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXlyYSNAACM
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

Posting early before the reviews come in.

I think I really would (should) have gotten FJ but for a total brain fart. It's so embarrassing. I *completely* misread the Final Jeopardy clue: somehow the reference to British prime ministers caused me to disregard the NFL prompt and start searching my mental database for *Canadian* cities named after 18th-century British PMs. And I know Abbotsford was not a British PM, but I just wrote something down at the end for the sake of doing so.

The whole thing was totally not computing and I should have taken a deep breath and reread the clue, but my brain must have conditioned itself to take a stroll on the Think Music after my two previous zero-wager runaway games. That, or the legendary Sony Commissary food coma kicked in at a very inopportune moment.

So I fully admit that I should have lost this game, but there's a reason they call it dumb luck. That miss by Todd a couple of weeks ago where he wrote down Sydney as an Asian city made me feel a little better about my abject stupidity. And I won anyway, so there's that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got FJ pretty quickly, but I guess it being a TS isn't that surprising. Word origin FJs usually aren't a clean sweep for the players. I think the bit about the city hosting an NFL team just confused them even more.

I guess Beth missed yesterday's discussion about betting on late DDs. An all-in (or near all-in) bet gives her the win on the TS in FJ.

All that aside, congrats to Andrew on becoming our first 5-day champ in a very long time!!!!!

Nice interviews today. A daughter of a Fleming era player who actually attended the game. Then a fifth day story about meeting Gorbachev.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

pauerpoint wrote:Posting early before the reviews come in.

I think I really would (should) have gotten FJ but for a total brain fart. It's so embarrassing. I *completely* misread the Final Jeopardy clue: somehow the reference to British prime ministers caused me to disregard the NFL prompt and start searching my mental database for *Canadian* cities named after 18th-century British PMs. And I know Abbotsford was not a British PM, but I just wrote something down at the end for the sake of doing so.

The whole thing was totally not computing and I should have taken a deep breath and reread the clue, but my brain must have conditioned itself to take a stroll on the Think Music after my two previous zero-wager runaway games. That, or the legendary Sony Commissary food coma kicked in at a very inopportune moment.

So I fully admit that I should have lost this game, but there's a reason they call it dumb luck. That miss by Todd a couple of weeks ago where he wrote down Sydney as an Asian city made me feel a little better about my abject stupidity. And I won anyway, so there's that.
I feel for you. Once my brain starts going down a wrong path on a FJ clue, it's almost impossible to flag it down and get it moving in a different direction. I can only imagine all of that under the lights, etc.

The right answer came to me on this one instantly, but I have no idea why and I wasn't certain that there had been any such British PM, let alone in the right century. But, it sounded good and the brain gave up at that point anyway.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I got FJ pretty quickly, but I guess it being a TS isn't that surprising. Word origin FJs usually aren't a clean sweep for the players. I think the bit about the city hosting an NFL team just confused them even more
Yeah, I started with NFL cities, but then just thought 'too many'. I know a few PMs -- Disraeli, Gladstone, Pitt ... got it.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

All of the contestants played well until FJ; congrats to Andrew on his fifth win. I had 42 correct responses including these triple stumpers: Sojourner Truth, fish, Tumblr, Buzzfeed, Candace Bushnell, and flew. I also got FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

A five-day champ. A FIVE-DAY CHAMP!!!!! Finally!!! Welcome to the TOC, Andrew (which I could've said after win #3 at the rate we're going, but now it's official)!

I started running through NFL teams (too slowly; it's been a long day), got to Pittsburgh, and stopped, not because I recognized the right answer, but because time was running out :oops: If I were a Giants fan and started in the NFC I might not have made it in time.

Anyone have the exact wording of that 'educated/erudite' clue?

EDIT: also, I don't usually care about contestants' ages, but...you were an undergrad when Gorbachev was in power!?? I hope I look that good when I'm your age!
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

These kinds of FJ! clues can be frustrating. Ones that aren't terribly difficult, but thirty seconds goes by fast when you have to go through all the NFL teams to get to the answer, and I just had to start with the NFC. Just didn't get to Pittsburgh in time.
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

xxaaaxx wrote:Anyone have the exact wording of that 'educated/erudite' clue?
From Latin for "to instruct," it means "learned" or "scholarly"

Linked are the Wiktionary entries for educate and erudite... I think the reversal was the right call there.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I got FJ pretty quickly, but I guess it being a TS isn't that surprising. Word origin FJs usually aren't a clean sweep for the players. I think the bit about the city hosting an NFL team just confused them even more
Yeah, I started with NFL cities, but then just thought 'too many'. I know a few PMs -- Disraeli, Gladstone, Pitt ... got it.
I went the other way. Luckily I started in the east. I guess that is because I am from the eastern part of the country, but an eastern city is more likely to be named for a British PM. Anyway, I stumbled upon Pittsburgh pretty quickly and was home free.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

mfc248 wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:Anyone have the exact wording of that 'educated/erudite' clue?
From Latin for "to instruct," it means "learned" or "scholarly"

Linked are the Wiktionary entries for educate and erudite... I think the reversal was the right call there.
From Latin educatus, past participle of educare ‎(“to bring up (a child, physically or mentally), rear, educate, train (a person in learning or art), nourish, support, or produce (plants or animals)”)

Works for me! Thanks. Weird that they didn't anticipate it.
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

I'm glad I've got a cable package that has channels from different cities. Here in Winnipeg we get Jeopardy from Minneapolis and it was pre-empted because of the death of Prince. I'll have to watch it on a Seattle station later.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Bamaman wrote:I went the other way. Luckily I started in the east. I guess that is because I am from the eastern part of the country, but an eastern city is more likely to be named for a British PM. Anyway, I stumbled upon Pittsburgh pretty quickly and was home free.
I figured it had to be in one of the colonies, so: Foxboro, New York/East Rutherford, Buffalo, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Washington, wherever Carolina is (Charlotte), and Atlanta. Pittsburgh seemed the most likely of them.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

mungar wrote:Instaget FJ. Not up on my British PM's, but thinking of the classic Simpsons scene got me there immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXlyYSNAACM
I was spoiled on this FJ precisely because I belong to some Simpsons Trivia groups on Facebook, and somebody who lives somewhere where Jeopardy! airs earlier posted about it.

There's a good chance I still would have gotten it, due to the very fact that being a Simpsons fan would mean that Pitt and Palmerston would come to mind when trying to think of bygone British PMs.

Also, it makes sense that a city in the original 13 colonies would be more likely to be named for a British PM, and furthermore, if you have to guess NFL cities, you might start with some of the most iconic teams like the Packers and the Cowboys and the Steelers.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

xxaaaxx wrote:A five-day champ. A FIVE-DAY CHAMP!!!!! Finally!!! Welcome to the TOC, Andrew (which I could've said after win #3 at the rate we're going, but now it's official)!

I started running through NFL teams (too slowly; it's been a long day), got to Pittsburgh, and stopped, not because I recognized the right answer, but because time was running out :oops: If I were a Giants fan and started in the NFC I might not have made it in time.

Anyone have the exact wording of that 'educated/erudite' clue?

EDIT: also, I don't usually care about contestants' ages, but...you were an undergrad when Gorbachev was in power!?? I hope I look that good when I'm your age!
Thanks xxaaaxx and yes, Stanford class of 1990.

I was actually going to ring in and say "educated" but that seemed too obvious for a clue at the bottom of the board, so I didn't.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said educated.

I am about Andrew's age and I have loved seeing older players do well lately.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I will be checking the "I was incorrect with Baltimore on Thursday's clue" poll option.
I precalled "stirrup" in BONE"S" and remembered to say it, only to hear them accept the Latin name "stapes." I'll count it.
The BMS on "Cabot" was unnecessary, considering his son was mentioned in the clue!
I thought the LLama in the right podium (the only one on this week) might have been able to take out the champ, but he only bet $5000 on that TS FJ. Congrats to the pauerpoint on becoming the first 5-timer since the TOC.
Hoping for a third lap