Friday, April 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, April 22, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by pauerpoint »

MarkBarrett wrote:Andrew wins, but most of his games have been interesting going into the FJ! round with only one runaway in six tries. It's the second Friday in a row when Andrew has eked out a victory while leaving the player at podium #3 stuck with multiple haunting points to revisit from their one and only game.
Point well taken, Mark, but there were actually two runaways this week (Tuesday and Wednesday). I agree that the two Friday games were similar: I was being beaten at the buzzer in both and only managed to squeak out a lead right at the end.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

pauerpoint wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Andrew wins, but most of his games have been interesting going into the FJ! round with only one runaway in six tries. It's the second Friday in a row when Andrew has eked out a victory while leaving the player at podium #3 stuck with multiple haunting points to revisit from their one and only game.
Point well taken, Mark, but there were actually two runaways this week (Tuesday and Wednesday). I agree that the two Friday games were similar: I was being beaten at the buzzer in both and only managed to squeak out a lead right at the end.
2 runaways, yes. Sorry, didn't mean to cheat you of one. My handwritten 1+1+L+L+1+1 had one of the L's looking like a 1. Either way it's Gold Group for the TOC. :)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'd heard that bit of trivia about Lord Byron before, so I got FJ, but that's definitely a "you know it or you don't."

By the way, Captain Matthew Webb also used breaststroke for his English Channel swim. This was the stroke commonly used in Europe at the time. Native Americans traveled to the UK for a swimming exhibition in the mid 1800s and used an overhand style similar to today's front crawl. Despite being clearly faster than breaststroke the English continued to use breaststroke because they considered the swimming style the Native Americans used to be barbaric. Good stuff.

It's also interesting that Webb swam the Channel in 1875 and after that it wasn't until 1911 that the second successful swim was completed.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I knew Byron because that's one of the most famous things he did. My new area is crowded with churches of all sorts including many AME which are usually fairly small. 3 good contestants tonight!
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Kind of a late throw on, but...this was my reaction to Andrew:

Because of two things: Andrew is the first champ since Matt Jackson's run to clear a week of contestants and became the first 6-time champ since his run. He's really sneaking under the radar win after win. After yesterday's game, I thought he was gone, and now he lives and survives for another week. After Todd Giese's run for the next ToC, there's been a barrage of 2-time champs and a high scoring win from Margaret Miles. The past couple weeks have been so intense. :o
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:I went with Lord Nelson just to have someone.
Same here. I figured at least he was in the Navy, so maybe he had to swim for it at some point. Turns out Nelson died in 1805. They shipped him home in a cask of brandy. Presumably he wasn't doing the breaststroke.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Can you do the breaststroke with one arm?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:Can you do the breaststroke with one arm?
Sure! If it required two arms, it would be called the breastsstroke.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

so abc news decided that Finding abut why princes death happened was more important than jeopardy so i didnt get to see the Jeopardy Round or the first 3 clues of Double Jeopardy.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

BADuBois wrote:I got FJ correct just by thinking, okay, who was off-the-wall famous and kind of looney in this time frame for the UK?

Best answer I could come up with was Lord Byron.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart.

Sometimes.
Always. But in this case, you were both.

I guess Amy didn't remember this game's FJ.
I'm smart and I want respect.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

A very strong game from Michael, who unfortunately in his only game was up against a gritty champion.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I didn't remember exactly when Lord Nelson died, so I went with him, also.

I really like Andrew's chances of making the ToC final. ToC questions usually have less pop culture and more academic stuff than regular shows, and that should play into his wheelhouse.

Just as an aside, if Dr. Pau happens to read this, do they still refer to the members of the Oberlin Conservatory of Music as "con artists"? My brother was temporarily a con artist before he switched majors, although it was a while before you got to Oberlin, so you wouldn't have known him.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I didn't remember exactly when Lord Nelson died, so I went with him, also.

I really like Andrew's chances of making the ToC final. ToC questions usually have less pop culture and more academic stuff than regular shows, and that should play into his wheelhouse.

Just as an aside, if Dr. Pau happens to read this, do they still refer to the members of the Oberlin Conservatory of Music as "con artists"? My brother was temporarily a con artist before he switched majors, although it was a while before you got to Oberlin, so you wouldn't have known him.
Thanks Cat, I hope you're right about the ToC! I've actually never the heard the term "con artists" used here at Oberlin, but maybe I should try to revive it. Or maybe they call us that from the College side.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

pauerpoint wrote:Thank you all, this one was obviously as close as it could get. It was my sixth game in a little over 24 hours and my brain was just about running on fumes. Michael was beating me to the buzzer most of the way, and I was totally prepared to go home. Pleasantly surprised and relieved that I still won. Glad I managed to reverse myself from writing down Shelley on FJ ("He drowned!" "But he wasn't swimming the Hellespont!").

Michael's late miss and my rebound get on Rio de la Plat(a) was obviously what made the difference. He could have reversed or corrected himself right away because there was actually a long pause before they ruled against him and you can see that he turned towards the judges' table, but for some reason he didn't change his answer. There was also a very long pause before FJ while the judges deliberated some more, presumably over whether to reverse the neg. If they had reversed, I obviously would have lost the game. I believe that the river is also called the River Plate in English, but presumably the word "Rio" in the clue made Michael's response incorrect.

Having followed the analyses of wagering and gameplay on here, I find myself cringing now about how small many of my DD wagers were and how conservatively I played. Golf, I promise to try and be more bold in the ToC! On the other hand, the way I played kind of worked for me.
Spoiler
Until it didn't.
Andrew, every contestant wins until he doesn't (except those who never win at all). Many congrats on another fine win.

AME was my only Lach Trash in this game. I think these three pretty well cleaned up the boards.

God only knows why I remembered this factoid about Byron, but I did. So FJ was an Instaget and gave me the season's first 5/5 FJ week---woo-hoo!
brick

Post by brick »

BADuBois wrote:I got FJ correct just by thinking, okay, who was off-the-wall famous and kind of looney in this time frame for the UK?

Sometimes.
Your humility is charming, but knowing enough to make that educated guess outs you as smart.
brick

Post by brick »

mrparadise wrote:

Sometimes.

Mad, bad, and dangerous to know.
I sat through a play with that title years ago. I still cringe when I think of it. Possibly the worst theatrical performance I have ever endured. Put me off Byron for years.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

No clue on the final. Too late to be Nelson, so I went with Wellington just to have an answer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:
pauerpoint wrote:
2 runaways, yes. Sorry, didn't mean to cheat you of one. My handwritten 1+1+L+L+1+1 had one of the L's looking like a 1. Either way it's Gold Group for the TOC. :)
I don't know if you take "strength of schedule" into account in your rankings, but he has beaten some pretty decent players in his games. Starting with Margaret in his first game, I think a number of them could have gone on a run if Andrew hadn't gotten picked for this week.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cheezguyty wrote:
skullturf wrote:The total number of letters in the last names of all three contestants was just 10 (Koh, Hart, Pau). I wonder if that's a record.
It's a record among Archived games, unless you count this 1998 Celeb game with Jack Ford, Jeri Ryan, and Sinbad.
Ok, how did you check all archived games? (I'm kind of in awe of this)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote:I don't know if you take "strength of schedule" into account in your rankings, but he has beaten some pretty decent players in his games. Starting with Margaret in his first game, I think a number of them could have gone on a run if Andrew hadn't gotten picked for this week.
Agreed. For several of those competitors all it would have taken is for things to break their way just a tiny bit. Nobody's rolling over for Andrew. His luck is as impressive as his skill. And I don't mean that in a negative way. His skill is darned impressive.