Wednesday, April 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, April 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote:I loved Alex's comment at Buzzy's reveal: "He picked the wrong correct response." Um, yeah, sure, Alex.
Is that really what he said? I presume Buzzy was thinking of Robert Falcon Scott, but to call that answer in any way "correct" is pretty far off the mark considering Amundsen beat Scott to the South Pole and it happened 15 years before 1927!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
alietr wrote:I loved Alex's comment at Buzzy's reveal: "He picked the wrong correct response." Um, yeah, sure, Alex.
Is that really what he said? I presume Buzzy was thinking of Robert Falcon Scott, but to call that answer in any way "correct" is pretty far off the mark considering Amundsen beat Scott to the South Pole and it happened 15 years before 1927!
Yes. Not only did I go back and listen again, I put on CC just to make sure.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Yes. Not only did I go back and listen again, I put on CC just to make sure.
I think we can agree it wasn't Alex's best night.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

gamawire wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Only one person got that FJ right? I'm sure Keith will have fun with Ellen's wager.

What was wrong with Ellen's wager? If she got it, she would have $1 more than Buzzy - seemed like a solid bet to me. Am I missing something?
True, providing Buzzy bets $0. And frankly, how often do you see someone not in a lock game position wager $0 on a big fat category like American History?

What's wrong with Ellen's bet is that 1) she can't count on Buzzy to bet $0, because 2) Buzzy, like any sensible player, is most likely to make the $1-lockout wager of $5,401, which is exactly what he did; and 3) therefore her only realistic chance to win this game is if Buzzy makes the correct wager and misses. In that case Buzzy drops to $8,399, which he did. Joe's score, even with an all-in bet and a right answer, can only be $8,000 at most.

Therefore Ellen's wager must act on the assumption/hope that Buzzy will miss, and that her target is $8,400, or $1 better than Buzzy. So if the wagers $1,200 she wins as long as Buzzy wagers correctly and misses.

You can make a case for her to wager enough to top Buzzy's pre-FJ $13,800. But it's not a very good case given the above.

More than the wagering, I was more than a little shocked to see two of three contestants unable to suss out Lindberg when they were clearly referencing a brave, daring event accomplished in 1927. Instaget here.

But Buzzy wins again anyay, for a very nice 3-day run. Congrats to the champ.
pauerpoint
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by pauerpoint »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Not to mention Scott wasn't even American and the category was "American History."
drdoug41
Valued Contributor

Post by drdoug41 »

Add me to the list of people shocked by a single get on this one.

I will not rest until I hear the story of Buzzy's name.
I have a distant relative (my father's brother's wife's (yes my aunt) sister's husband who goes by Buzzy whose given name is Bernard, so that must be it. :D
Apparently he chose to feel the buzz rather than feel the bern.
Similar minds think alike.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Gemini Bowie wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Tonight's FJ! clue would have cost me a side bet as I would have covered up to $25 or so that no way that clue only goes 1/3. 1927 famous American = Lindbergh. 33% quite surprised me.
Any (adult) American should know that! Sheesh...I'm amazed at some the obscure crap some people know, and then miss the obvious.
Oh look! It's been a while since we've added a new "What I know *MUST* be the obvious stuff, you're all dumb" person here, hasn't it? Long overdue! Thanks, please give me all info about your life experiences so I can best mirror your knowledge and your knowledge alone since it's been proven to be the best. :roll:
sumithar
Contributor

Post by sumithar »

a)what was the wording on the clue about Veep? It didn't register with me but I remembered the episode. It was pretty risqué for a clue, something about Patton Oswalt giving Jonah a hand (in the actual episode he felt him up)
b)i'm always surprised when what I think are simple answers turn out to be triple stumpers, witness Adam Dalgleish- A lot of people I know are PD James fans!
c) Buzzy's performance was a lot less impressive than his first win when he took out Pau.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Add zoonoses to the list of words that I never knew how to pronounce before I heard Alex read them in a clue. LOL zoo noses. The New Yorker magazine doesn't put a dieresis on zoonoses even though they routinely do on words like coöperation.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

sumithar wrote:a)what was the wording on the clue about Veep? It didn't register with me but I remembered the episode. It was pretty risqué for a clue, something about Patton Oswalt giving Jonah a hand (in the actual episode he felt him up)
b)i'm always surprised when what I think are simple answers turn out to be triple stumpers, witness Adam Dalgleish- A lot of people I know are PD James fans!
c) Buzzy's performance was a lot less impressive than his first win when he took out Pau.
a)
AS CHIEF OF STAFF TEDDY SYKES, PATTON OSWALT WAS UNAFAID TO GIVE JONAH A HAND ON THIS COMEDY
OCSam
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

cosmos wrote:Add zoonoses to the list of words that I never knew how to pronounce before I heard Alex read them in a clue. LOL zoo noses. The New Yorker magazine doesn't put a dieresis on zoonoses even though they routinely do on words like coöperation.
The proboscis monkey has everyone's favorite zoo nose.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
cosmos wrote:Add zoonoses to the list of words that I never knew how to pronounce before I heard Alex read them in a clue. LOL zoo noses. The New Yorker magazine doesn't put a dieresis on zoonoses even though they routinely do on words like coöperation.
And at the other, um, end, you can't beat a Celebes Crested Macaque.
sumithar
Contributor

Post by sumithar »

a)
AS CHIEF OF STAFF TEDDY SYKES, PATTON OSWALT WAS UNAFAID TO GIVE JONAH A HAND ON THIS COMEDY
[/quote]

Thanks!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
And at the other, um, end, you can't beat a Celebes Crested Macaque.
This reminds me that I was a bit surprised that they asked a question about Celebes since it's been officially known for a generation or more as Sulawesi. Are questions about Siam, Persia and Ceylon next?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Corolla is the most popular Toyota?
It's the best-selling car ever (over 40M sold).
I even had a Corolla. (Except mine was called a Geo Prism.)

Coincidentally(?), the day before this game aired I was at Lindbergh's grave on Maui. It's one hell of a trip to get to, too. Not exactly a high trafficked tourist destination.
IMG_1255-lindbergh.jpg
IMG_1255-lindbergh.jpg (245.18 KiB) Viewed 4878 times
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Just watched this game today. Like usual, I got a fair number of TSes (about the same as other boardies who report their TS stats), but I was surprised that my 11 year old son (who was in the room playing video games while I was watching this) got the same TS I did, "conscription". He said they were talking bout it in school recently.

Too bad Mark's poll is already up (although I haven't seen it yet), I wonder who else got that one. (Note that if Mark did put it on his poll, feel free to laugh at me. As opposed to, you know, all the other times I'm laughed at.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:Just watched this game today. Like usual, I got a fair number of TSes (about the same as other boardies who report their TS stats), but I was surprised that my 11 year old son (who was in the room playing video games while I was watching this) got the same TS I did, "conscription". He said they were talking bout it in school recently.
I got conscription but also thought of impressment. I had to pause the game to discover that impressment is a letter short for the 12-LETTER WORDS category. In every other way it fits the clue. That would've been a tough miss to swallow.
brick

Post by brick »

alietr wrote: I will not rest until I hear the story of Buzzy's name.
:D