Friday, May 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7295, 2016-05-06

2016 Teachers Tournament quarterfinal game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Bill Knuth, a high school special education teacher from East Lansing, Michigan
Cory Harris, a high school English teacher from Mystic, Connecticut
Kaberi Chakrabarty, an elementary bilingual teacher from Joliet, Illinois

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. Right now we have four winners of quarterfinal matches waiting in the wings to make the trip to Washington, D.C., to compete as semifinalists next week. They will be joined by the winner of this game. So, Bill, Cory, and Kaberi, good luck.
Here we go. Categories for this first round today are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NON-ROCKET SCIENTISTS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV EATERIES (4/5) (Alex: ...you have to identify the television program for us.)
THERE ARE STRINGS ATTACHED (4/5)
WE APPRECIATE "U"! (5/5)
NOT TO BE CONFUSED (5/5)
FINISH THE LITERARY LINE (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Cory: 11 R, 2 W
Kaberi: 8 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Bill: 6 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kaberi found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Kaberi had $2,000, Cory had $1,400, and Bill had a deficit with -$800. Kaberi wagered $1,000.

NON-ROCKET SCIENTISTS $600: In 1959 she found a 1.75-million-year-old skull at Olduvai Gorge

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kaberi: $4,600
Cory: $600
Bill: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Bill Knuth is a special-education teacher in East Lansing, Michigan, and that's an area in which you subbed way back in the '80s. Am I right?

Bill: Yeah. I got out of grad school--or undergrad school, excuse me--and I was looking for a job teaching, couldn't find any, ran into a friend at a watering hole. And over a pitcher of beer, he said, "Why don't you come out, sub at our place, and, uh, see if you like it or not?" And went out there and fell in love with it and said, "This is where I'm gonna work." And it took me 12, 13 years to get there, but I finally managed to get a job there, and I've been there ever since.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Cory Harris, high school English teacher from Connecticut. You let your students sleep in class. Now, what's that all about?

Cory: Uh, once a year, when we read Brave New World, the society brainwashes the kids--or the populace--through sleep-teaching. So I let the students bring in sleeping bags, pillows. And they fall asleep, and I try to brainwash them into being good students. We see if it works.

Alex: We're gonna see if it works at the end of the year. All right.

Alex: Kaberi Chakrabarty is from Joliet, Illinois, started off not wanting to be a teacher, but a doctor.

Kaberi: I did. I originally went pre-med for a couple of years, and I was doing reasonably well at it. And then I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to spend a semester in Spain, and that just changed my life for me. So, when I came back, I changed to Spanish education.

Alex: Good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV EATERIES $400: The Williamsburg Diner in Brooklyn

NON-ROCKET SCIENTISTS $800: This Italian physicist began writing about his ideas "On Motion" around 1590
(Cory: Who is Kepler?)

FINISH THE LITERARY LINE $400: "Theirs not to make reply, theirs not to reason why, theirs but to..."
(Bill: What is to do or die?)
(Kaberi: What is do or die?)
(Cory: What is to fight and die?)
(Alex: No. It's not "do or die". It's [*]. Yeah, they were doomed from the get-go.)

FINISH THE LITERARY LINE $1000: "Listen to them--the children of the night. what..." these 3 words

THERE ARE STRINGS ATTACHED $1000: This instrument evokes the Renaissance & courtly life
(Kaberi: What is the mandolin?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kaberi: $4,600
Cory: $4,600
Bill: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 6, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION MOVIE! (4/5)
WHERE IN THE WORLD? (4/5)
HOLIDAYS (5/5)
PRONUNCIATION (4/5)
QUEENS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MY FAVORITE BURRO (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bill: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Cory: 10 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Kaberi: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Cory snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Kaberi had $5,800, Cory had $8,600, and Bill was at $3,600. Cory wagered $3,000.

MY FAVORITE BURRO $800: Governor Bruce Babbitt was on hand for an airlift of hundreds of'wild burros out of this landmark in 1981
(Alex: Cory?)
(Cory: [Shakes head slightly])

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Bill who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Kaberi had $8,600, Cory had $8,400, and Bill was at $8,400. Bill wagered $1,600.

QUEENS $2000: In 1654 this nation's queen Christina stunned Europe when she abdicated & became a Catholic

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHERE IN THE WORLD? $1600: Brunel:
this island
(Cory: What is Papua New Guinea?)

LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION MOVIE! $1600: In "300" this Spartan king & his men face off against the Persians at Thermopylae

QUEENS $800: Blanche of Castile was twice this temporary ruler of France, when her son was little & when he was crusading
(Cory: What is "vicky"?)

QUEENS $1200: According to Jewish & Islamic traditions, she was the monarch of an ancient kingdom believed to be in Ethiopia or Yemen

PRONUNCIATION $1600: Its tourism commission puts a diacritical mark in the state's name showing the short "a" pronunciation
(Bill: What is Hawaii?)
(Alex: ...not "nuh-VAH-da".)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Bill: $13,600
Kaberi: $8,600
Cory: $8,400

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: [To Bill] $13,600. You came from a distant third to lead going into Final Jeopardy!, and today we feature this category...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Bill: Wager $3,601 to cover Kaberi.
Kaberi: You have the hope of surpassing Bill if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $8,201 to force Bill to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Cory.
Cory: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $8,398 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She wrote in her journal in 1867 that a publisher "asked me to write a girls book. Said I'd try."

FINAL SCORES
Cory: $8,400 + $8,398 = $16,798 (Who is Alcott) (Automatic semifinalist)
Kaberi: $8,600 + $3,000 = $11,600 (Who was Alcott?) (2nd place)
Bill: $13,600 - $3,601 = $9,999 (Who is Wilde?) (3rd place)
(Alex: [To Cory] Congratulations to you.)
(Cory: Thank you.)
(Alex: And now here are the other four players who won their games this week.)
(Chris: Chris Tempro, Allentown, Pennsylvania.)
(Jason: Jason Sterlacci, Somerset, New Jersey.)
(Jill: Jill Gilbert, Des Moines, Iowa.)
(Peter: Peter Buchholz, Minneapolis, Minnesota.)
(Alex: And now, ladies and gentlemen, those four wild card spots will go to these players.)
(Lauren: Lauren Gilmore, Lake Wales, Florida.)
(Nicole: Nicole Throckmorton, Williamsburg, Virginia.)
(Alex: And echoing something I said at the beginning of this program, these two will join them. Kaberi and Bill, come on over.)
[Applause]
(Alex: All right, folks, that's it for us for today. Remember, next week, we'll see you all in Washington, D.C. So long, everybody.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Bill: $14,000, 17 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Cory: $11,400, 21 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Kaberi: $8,200, 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $33,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Cory: 22/59 = .373
Bill: 17/59 = .288
Kaberi: 12/59 = .203
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TV EATERIES $1000: The Minuteman Cafe & Gift Shop, next door to the Stratford Inn in Vermont
(Bill: What is The Bob Newhart Show?)
(Alex: [*] only. Yes. You picked the wrong one of his two very popular series.)

WE APPRECIATE "U"! $200: The marble one seen here was recovered from Pompeii

NON-ROCKET SCIENTISTS $1000: Laura Fermi said this physicist from Scandinavia skied expert snowplows & stylish jumps

NOT TO BE CONFUSED $400: Careful with these 2 words: one means " unethical"; the other, with a "T", "living forever"
(Bill: Um... what is...)

THERE ARE STRINGS ATTACHED $400: This instrument of India can have as many as 20 strings
(Alex: You got in there ahead of Kaberi.)

THERE ARE STRINGS ATTACHED $600: Our term for a song's words was influenced by the name of this ancient instrument

THERE ARE STRINGS ATTACHED $800: David Kalakaua & Arthur Godfrey are in the hall of fame for this musical instrument

WHERE IN THE WORLD? $2000: The castle seen here:
this British city

MY FAVORITE BURRO $1200: The painting seen here depicts Bottom, a character in this Shakespeare comedy

MY FAVORITE BURRO $2000: Seen here in this German city are its fabled four musicians, a donkey & his friends

HOLIDAYS $800: In 1999 New Hampshire was the last state to make this January event a paid state holiday
(Cory: What is New Year's Day?)

QUEENS $1600: Lisa Halaby took the name Noor al-Hussein in 1978 when she became queen consort of this country

CORRECT RESPONSES
(Mary) Leakey
2 Broke Girls
Galileo
do and die
music they make
the lute
the Grand Canyon
Sweden
Borneo
Leonidas
regent
the Queen of Sheba
Nevada
Louisa May Alcott
Newhart
an urn
Niels Bohr
immoral & immortal
a sitar
a lyre
the ukulele
Edinburgh
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Bremen
Martin Luther King Day
Jordan
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She wrote in her journal in 1867 that a publisher “asked me to write a girls book. Said I’d try.”

Kaberi Chakrabarty: 8600+3000=11600 (wildcard)
Cory Harris: 8400+8398=16798 (semifinalist)
Bill Knuth: 13600-3601=9999 (wildcard)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Louisa May Alcott (Bill - Wilder)
Daily Doubles
Kaberi: 2000+1000
Cory: 8600-3000
Bill: 8400+1600

Coryats
Kaberi: 8200
Cory: 11400
Bill: 14000

Combined: 33,600

Other wildcards:
Lauren Gilmore: 11000
Nicole Throckmorton: 5000
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri May 06, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Cory on becoming a semi-finalist, and to the four wild-card players who will also be semi-finalists. I had 51 correct responses including these triple stumpers: Galileo, do and die, lute, Borneo, Regent, Queen of Sheba, and Nevada. I also got the missed DD of the Grand Canyon, and I got FJ.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

This is High School Tourney level.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I made the exact same "do or die" mistake as the contestants. Such an easy mistake to make, really.

I did smell that Bob Newhart Show miss from a mile away, though. I've seen so many people confuse those two shows.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Vowela wrote:I made the exact same "do or die" mistake as the contestants. Such an easy mistake to make, really.

I did smell that Bob Newhart Show miss from a mile away, though. I've seen so many people confuse those two shows.
I know that line. And I know that the show's writers absolutely love that poem.

I still thought that question was complete neg bait. The line is so commonly misquoted, I saw the clue and thought, "Somebody's gonna miss this." I did not predict, however, that all 3 of them would.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Vowela wrote:I made the exact same "do or die" mistake as the contestants. Such an easy mistake to make, really.
Agreed. Easy trap since it's "do or die" in nearly any other context.

====

Ran "Not to Be Confused" and "Strings". My own musical experience helped on $1,000, as I actually play the mandolin and knew that what was being played was not a mandolin.

I forgot the Geographical Fugue re: Popocatepetl, which is not in Canada, rather in Mexico Mexico Mexico. Yes, Tibet! Tibet! Tibet!...

Embarrassingly, the Kung Fu Panda clue was one of two misses in that category for me. I just couldn't remember "dragon warrior" for the life of me. And I've seen, and enjoyed the hell out of, all three of those movies.

No guess on FJ!
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

The first round was sloppy (and yes, many of those clues were Teen Tournament level), but all three contestants were competitive in Double Jeopardy. That "burro" category needs to be sent back to the Sony vault.
There wasn't much of a hint in FJ, but if you're even remotely familiar with the Jeopardy canon, you know they ask about Little Women and its author quite often.
Hoping for a third lap
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Pre-called the "do or die" miss but didn't expect three swings and three misses. I hope Cory can take a little ribbing because on the following clue he rang in with "Sam I Am" and my wife yelled, "Oh, sure, the English teacher gets THAT!" :lol:

As long as I'm poking fun, a little later in the show I got to yell "NOW's the time for mollusk, Andy!" :twisted:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Oh, and especially for those who missed the "do and die" Tennyson line, you need to take my Misquotable Quotes quiz on Sporcle:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/opusthepen ... ble-quotes
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

sarisson wrote:The first round was sloppy (and yes, many of those clues were Teen Tournament level), but all three contestants were competitive in Double Jeopardy. That "burro" category needs to be sent back to the Sony vault.
There wasn't much of a hint in FJ, but if you're even remotely familiar with the Jeopardy canon, you know they ask about Little Women and its author quite often.
The hints I took from it were "girls book" and "1867", right after the Civil War, which plays a part in the Little Women story. I thought it was just too early for Wilder. It turns out she was born in 1867.
OCSam
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

WE APPRECIATE "U" $800: Term for a college student at any level who hasn't yet received a bachelor's degree

The correct response was undergrad. I counted my response of underclassman as correct. Other than sexist language any judges here have a problem with that response?

Alex got to do his Draccent (trademark to dinghammer) tonight. Gee, it's been so long since he had an opportunity to do that one. :roll:

Ah, the good old tournament shuffle puts the easiest of the five FJ! clues on Friday. It created the feel good moment with all three contestants heading to D.C. even with the miss by Bill. Come on, Alex, that was obviously Wilder by Bill and not Wilde.

I wrote Louisa May Alcott immediately and put the pen down. During the rest of think time I thought about Wilder to make sure I was not making a correctable mistake.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

sarisson wrote:There wasn't much of a hint in FJ, but if you're even remotely familiar with the Jeopardy canon, you know they ask about Little Women and its author quite often.
I got girls' fiction from the clue, instantly went to Alcott, wavered for a moment or two wondering about Susan Coolidge, but went back to Alcott, considering her to be a better-known author and series of novels.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

50R, instaget FJ; agree its high school rule. Fun though! Lotta stumpers even so; I got: Galileo, "music they make"; "do AND die", lute, Borneo, Regent, Queen of Sheba, Leonidas. :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:WE APPRECIATE "U" $800: Term for a college student at any level who hasn't yet received a bachelor's degree

The correct response was undergrad. I counted my response of underclassman as correct. Other than sexist language any judges here have a problem with that response?
I think of "underclassman" as a freshman or sophomore (whereas juniors and seniors are upperclassmen), which runs counter to "at any level" in the clue.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:WE APPRECIATE "U" $800: Term for a college student at any level who hasn't yet received a bachelor's degree

I think of "underclassman" as a freshman or sophomore (whereas juniors and seniors are upperclassmen), which runs counter to "at any level" in the clue.
Agreed. Here's the Merriam-Webster definition:
a member of the freshman or sophomore class in a school or college
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I forgot the Geographical Fugue re: Popocatepetl, which is not in Canada, rather in Mexico Mexico Mexico. Yes, Tibet! Tibet! Tibet!...
What the heck is this?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,200
44 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: "do and die," Borneo, Grand Canyon (DD), Queen of Sheba
sarisson wrote:That "burro" category needs to be sent back to the Sony vault.
Huh? Other than the punny title, it seemed like a straightforward category. What didn't you like about it?
sarisson wrote:There wasn't much of a hint in FJ, but if you're even remotely familiar with the Jeopardy canon, you know they ask about Little Women and its author quite often.
I thought there was a lot of meat on this bone. Female author + 1860s + novel that could accurately be described as a "girls' book" points right at Little Women.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I forgot the Geographical Fugue re: Popocatepetl, which is not in Canada, rather in Mexico Mexico Mexico. Yes, Tibet! Tibet! Tibet!...
What the heck is this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_Fugue