Thursday, November 3, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Thursday, November 3, 2011 TOC Game Recap & Disc(SPOILER

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
karoliner wrote:I'm feeling really dense now. What is the link between Australia and Poland?
Other than they both contain an 'a' and an 'l', I haven't a clue. Like Woof, I thought it was a joke answer.
Add me to thoise wanting to know about the Australian/Polish connection. If Poland was settled by English convicts, it is news to me.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:
karoliner wrote:I'm feeling really dense now. What is the link between Australia and Poland?
Other than they both contain an 'a' and an 'l', I haven't a clue. Like Woof, I thought it was a joke answer.
Australia's highest mountain is Kosciuszko named by a Polish explorer in honor of a Polish general in the American Revolution. That's the link and logic. At least Roger named two countries is the way I look at it.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

econgator wrote:
Where was Thaddeus Kosciusko from?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Well, that was *my* favourite game of the TOC so far! (Tempered by the fact that I missed a geography question. *grumble*. Once I fleetingly thought of Greenland (but it's not a country!) I couldn't get my mind off big islands and stubbornly refused to leave Australia, answering US as my second one knowing it was wrong, but needing a second country.)
boson wrote:I guessed Denmark and Greenland (Does Denmark even have a mountain?).
Not really no, but every country has a highest point (even if the one in the Maldives is just 9 inches taller than I am) of course, whether I would refer to some of them as "peaks" is a bit of a lexicographical quibble.

I'm wondering if the "Countdown by Group" category was explained to the players that it had to be taken in order? The $200 clue did deal with a group of 5, and so on down the line, and they were taken in order (although they didn't strictly have to be) ...
goforthetie wrote:USA, Canada, Australia are all non-island countries
:shock: :shock: Ex-squeeze me??
laubla999 wrote:For Fj, I thought Cyprus and Turkey (didn't even think of Greece, don't know why), but dismissed it because I always thought Cyprus was two nations.
See, you're right and you're wrong (which is why the question I hate the most being asked, despite being asked it incessantly, is "how many countries are there?") Cyprus is two countries, if you count the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, a de jure, self-governing effective state in the northern half of the island - recognized by Turkey and no one else, not even the UN. If you count that as a country (and, really, there's no real need not to, as everyone draws their line at what is a country and what isn't, differently), then Cyprus is two nations.
jeff6286 wrote:Countries' Highest Peaks
These 2 nations, one an island, have highest peaks with the same name; they also share a common European culture.
Spoiler
What are Greece and Cyprus? Brian had no guess, and Roger said Poland and Australia.
BONUS TRIVIA: Besides sharing a common European culture and a highest peak with the same name, they also share what else, something that no other nation shares with another nation? Thirty seconds, players, good luck.

(Posting the answer here in spoiler because I'll be logging off soon):
Spoiler
They share a national anthem (quel surprise I'd bring up that fact, eh?) A few countries share the tune of their national anthem with another country, but no other sovereign, UN-recognized country (to draw the line ;) ) shares its whole anthem, words and all, with another sovereign, UN-recognized country.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
demomoke
Three-Time Swimmer in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by demomoke »

econgator wrote:Not a prayer on FJ. I was trying to think of something Portugese. Brazil and Sao Tome and Principe or some such. Ah well.
This was pretty much my original thinking as well; Sao Tome and some other ex-Portuguese colony.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Hi All

Well, I'm 0 for 2 so far in the ToC on FJ. I was oh so close yesterday when I ran down the Countries that I thought to be near the Baltic Sea (geography is not my strong point outside of North America), and actually said "Latvia, Lithuania, you know... one of those has a capital that is four letters in length", but at the last moment, had to say something, so I blurted out Oslo just to have something.

Then tonight, I went immediately to Cyprus, but couldn't connect it to anything. I spent the rest of the 30 seconds trying to think of a single mountain. If I had known that Cyprus' highest peak was called Mount Olympus, I would have gotten Greece instantly. Even so, they are always associated, at least in my mind, so I shoulda anyway.

Very enjoyable game.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

dhkendall wrote:
laubla999 wrote:For Fj, I thought Cyprus and Turkey (didn't even think of Greece, don't know why), but dismissed it because I always thought Cyprus was two nations.
See, you're right and you're wrong (which is why the question I hate the most being asked, despite being asked it incessantly, is "how many countries are there?") Cyprus is two countries, if you count the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, a de jure, self-governing effective state in the northern half of the island - recognized by Turkey and no one else, not even the UN. If you count that as a country (and, really, there's no real need not to, as everyone draws their line at what is a country and what isn't, differently), then Cyprus is two nations.
Ah! I knew it.
Though I thought the other country was Turkey ;-(
Need to refresh my knowledge database.
Thank you ;-)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote:If only the love triangle clue had been in the translation category... "ménage à trois" has such a nice ring to it.
I'm not sure how to pronounce that, but ...
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

dhkendall wrote:
Consider yourself squozen. :)

Australia is usually classified as a continent, not an island. That's why people say that Greenland is the largest island, for instance.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

goforthetie wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Consider yourself squozen. :)

Australia is usually classified as a continent, not an island. That's why people say that Greenland is the largest island, for instance.
While I agree that Australia is a continent rather than an island, I would say that Australia (the country) is an island country by virtue of the fact that it has no land borders with any other country, and is a land that's "girt by sea" - one could make a sui generis case for a "continent nation" but classifying it as an "island nation", since it shares all their characteristics, is easier.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

oddsox
Valued Contributor

Post by oddsox »

Norway and Iceland was my FJ guess. Really tough.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote:
econgator wrote:
Where was Thaddeus Kosciusko from?
I get that part, but the clue stated that they share a common culture. I don't think that naming a mountain after a guy who helped defeat the army of the Commonwealth you now belong to is "sharing a common culture".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

You think we got to that level of analysis? I think most of us with responses like that were still in "what the?" mode.
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

I was wondering if when calculating the Coryats of players on the show do they get their DD wagers added/subtracted from their totals? Or, like those of us who play at home, do they simply get the face value of the clue added (or not) to their totals?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

heisman65 wrote:I was wondering if when calculating the Coryats of players on the show do they get their DD wagers added/subtracted from their totals? Or, like those of us who play at home, do they simply get the face value of the clue added (or not) to their totals?
Calculate daily doubles like regular clues. The original (later edited) discussion of how to track this score by Karl Coryat is posted here: http://www.pisspoor.com/jep.html
heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

Thanks. I have read that link before, I just wasn't sure if the same rules apply to players on the show as they do to players at home.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

To amend that, I think the Coryat rules (for the home player as well as figuring for the studio player) say that missed DDs don't have money subtracted, as guessing shouldn't be penalized. That little "freebie" has helped my Coryat a number of times.

heisman65
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heisman65 »

Me too, DK! It's actually my favourite feature of the Coryat system. On another note, in the Translation category, was "beaucoup" necessary avec le "merci" or is merci good on its own?
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

Roger, you don't disappoint, do you?

If anyone had any doubts about you being the cream of the crop, this game is a rejoinder. Great buzzer skills and impressive all-round knowledge. Bravo indeed!
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TriviaBug wrote:If anyone had any doubts about you being the cream of the crop
And he's not just talking about the colour of your suit, either! *rimshot* :mrgreen: