Monday, June 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Monday, June 27, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,000
43 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Nope
LT: veil, ethylene

A well-played game by all involved.
TenPoundHammer wrote:There's a Seth in the Bible?
In fairness, you have to read all the way to Genesis 5 to learn about him.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Pretty sure the pepper compound is capsaicin, not capsicum as the closed captioning said.
Unfortunately, the captioner and I made the same mistake. I know that capsicum is the genus of the peppers and capsaicin is the compound that makes them spicy, but that didn't stop me from blowing $3200 of Karl Coryat's money.
JemRiffster wrote:Louis 17 was Louis 16's son, who was never crowned and died in prison about two and half years after his father's execution. AFAIK, he's generally not counted as having been "King of France". Louis 18 was Louis 16's brother and the last Louis to be king, though there later was a Louis-Philippe I (but not a second) and Napoleon III's birth-name was Louis-Napoleon.
I just learned about this during the last couple of days. I really wish I'd thought, "what the heck, maybe it's the next Louis."
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote:There's a Seth in the Bible?
He's still there: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1872&p=103770&hilit ... le#p103770

Yes, I can poll that Dixie Chicks clue for you.

Tony: How are we supposed to give you the business and rake you over the coals for your DD wagers if you delurk and post? :)

Congrats on a strong showing and I have no doubt there were players in the upcoming TOC field that breathed a sigh of relief when they saw your Napoleon.

Unfortunately, for you a famous Schwarzenegger movie quote needs a slight change.

The FJ! clue had me start with Louis XVI was French Revolution and 1700s, so I wrote Louis XVII. During think time I tried to set my mental time machine back to high school world history. I recalled Napoleon III, Louis Philippe and Maximilian. Louis the 17th? I had nothing on him and I wondered if I should go up a number. Thinking Louis XVIII had a familiar twinge to it and I increased my Roman numeral response by 1.

I liked the style of Harris including an "18" to make sure there was no doubt which one he had for his response. For the weekly poll I'll have to see which incorrect guesses seem to be at the top of the heap.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Didn't record this game, since I was watching this one with my mother, a rare treat, and making remarks to her in-between clues. Did decently well by my standards, around a 25k Coryat, but was happy I did well in several weak categories.

I was absolutely apoplectic during the entire second half of Double Jeopardy as well as Final Jeopardy;

1. When Tony was at 14,800 and second place was 12,800, the minimum he should have bet was $2k. Possibly more, given how much easier short word categories are, even in the 2k slot, but at least that amount.

He bet $1,600.

2. Given that there was one category left and the second DD of the round had to be there, the only clue value Tony should have avoided was $400. It could have been in any of the remaining 4 slots.

Naturally, Tony chose the $400 clue.

3. When Tony likely won the buzzer war to get A Tale of Two Cities, he stumbles upon the second DD in the $800 clue. He is ahead by exactly $4k. That is, again, a minimum $4k bet. Probably should be more, given how easy $800 literature questions tend to be.

He bets $3k.

Both these mistakes, incidentally, ended up costing him the game by themselves.

4. I got the FJ before Alex even finished reading (my mother knew it, too), and turning to her, said "Yeah, this is really easy. I expect all three contestants to get it, no problem."

When second place wrote down "Louis Napoleon", I was surprised, but then, when I saw Tony write "Napoleon", I uttered a string of disbelieving profanity.

5. However, I then said, "Don't worry, he probably covered an all-in third place bet".

But then I realized he had instead covered the less likely scenario. That of an all-in second place bet. And was thus short a few hundred dollars. I said a much longer string of profanity as my mother laughed and shook her head.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I always had in my mind that the age of "real" French kings ended with a little storming of a certain Parisian jail while the calendars still said "18th century". So I was quite convinced my answer of Napoleon (Bonaparte) was correct, he styled himself an emperor, and I associate "100 days" with him, namely that I thought it was the time from his exile in Elba to when he seized the throne again. Was quite certain about it. (I'm sure Tony was too.)
CrunchyTaco wrote:Looks like Jeopardy! is going to be preempted in the Detroit area so we can watch the Ford Fireworks Countdown Special! I really hate the Detroit NBC affiliate :evil: :evil: :evil:
Fireworks countdown special? If the fireworks are happening at 10pm local time July 4, did they start the countdown at 600,000? Kind of early there, aren't they?
TenPoundHammer wrote:I didn't even know there were XVIII Louises.
https://youtu.be/__5p_ZPdwv4?t=4m55s
TenPoundHammer wrote:Koran is after the Bible?
Yup, despite what some people think (especially in regards to Biblical descriptions of the anti-Christ) Muslims aren't mentioned once in the Bible, as Muhammed lived a good 600+ years after Jesus died.
teapot37 wrote:Muslims revere Jesus (Isa bin Maryam) as a great prophet. (For them, he is the direct predecessor of Muhammad as a prophet of Allah.)
Interesting that they call him Isa bin Maryam, I always thought that Muslim names were patronymic and he'd be called Isa bin Yusuf, after Joseph (since Muslims don't believe in the divinity of Jesus.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Not a chance on any of those documents. How was I supposed to know the Hammurabi Code is older than the Koran or some other document I've never heard of?
In fact, how are ANY of us supposed to know that? It's a mystery wrapped within an enigma tied inside a conundrum tucked into a cardboard bowl and sealed with foil. That anyone can decode such a devious riddle is a question for the ages and accusations of witchcraft should be brought up at earliest convenience.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

dhkendall wrote:So I was quite convinced my answer of Napoleon (Bonaparte) was correct, he styled himself an emperor, and I associate "100 days" with him, namely that I thought it was the time from his exile in Elba to when he seized the throne again. Was quite certain about it. (I'm sure Tony was too.)
Yeah, same here. When I saw "100 Days" I immediately though Napoleon and didn't really think about it much more. Afterwards it was obvious what the flaw in my reasoning was, but I don't think I would have picked the correct king even if I realized it was Napoleon who ruled during the 100 Days, not the other way around.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I thought we had a thread for responding to TPH's ridiculousisms.

For FJ I went with Napoleon III. Coincidentally I had heard Napoleon XIV's "They're Coming To Take Me Away" the night before.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

If "I didn't know there was a Louis XVIII" is in the weekly poll, I'll be checking it. I knew 100 days had something to do with Napoleon and really didn't think he reigned for another 9 years, but I couldn't think of a better answer.

I ran '90s Music. If I hadn't...
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

dinghammer wrote: I ran '90s Music. If I hadn't...
Heh, after I had no clue who the $400 artist in the category was, I was anticipating another painful 0/5 performance in contemporary music. However, I guessed correctly with "Garth Brooks", knew Pearl Jam through knowledge of basketball more than music, and knew Wu-Tang Clan again more through kung-fu movies than actual music.

I was very, very happy with my 3/5!
tjorcutt

Post by tjorcutt »

Having watched my episode again, I'm kicking myself a little for my DD wagers, but honestly thought they'd be harder than those softball questions. I definitely got carried away in the heat of the moment and probably would have been better served betting more on that lit question.

My knowledge of the Bourbons ends after Louis xvi, I thought that line ended after the beheading, so I went with napoleon even just because I didn't have a better guess.

Let's be honest though, the deciding factor on this game was Kanye West... For the life of me I couldn't remember the stupid album he insisted putting on Tidal. That was easy money just sitting there.

I had a blast overall and had a great time watching with friends and family. I would have loved to have been around longer, but at least I didn't embarrass myself too bad (right?????)

Plus, I found out I work with Harris's son in law... Small world huh?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

CrunchyTaco wrote:Looks like Jeopardy! is going to be preempted in the Detroit area so we can watch the Ford Fireworks Countdown Special! I really hate the Detroit NBC affiliate :evil: :evil: :evil:
I uploaded it to the usual place. Anyone who doesn't know where that is can PM me and see if I'm feeling merciful.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Louis XVIII never crossed my mind. Once Alex said it was correct, I thought, "Ooh, Harris is gonna win."
ron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ron »

I've been watching a lot of musicals lately, largely for Jeopardy/trivia purposes. None of the ones I've watched in the past few months came up in the Musicals category(though all the answers were gettable even if you haven't seen them).

However, one I watched recently was Les Miserables. Afterwards I ended up wiki'ing the June Rebellion and eventually made it back to Louis XVIII--so instaget for me :D .
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

IronNeck wrote:I was absolutely apoplectic during the entire second half of Double Jeopardy as well as Final Jeopardy;
<snipped>
On these proposed DD wagers you are dismissing the significant psychological aspect of missing the DD and losing your lead. It's not worth it for most people. You're also not taking into account how quickly the game moves when you're actually on it. Are there people who can do these sorts of calculations on the fly? Absolutely. Is that all contestants or even a significant percentage of them? Absolutely not.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

alietr wrote:
IronNeck wrote:I was absolutely apoplectic during the entire second half of Double Jeopardy as well as Final Jeopardy;
<snipped>
On these proposed DD wagers you are dismissing the significant psychological aspect of missing the DD and losing your lead.
I can only speak for myself psychologically, but I don't see the difference between being betting $2,000 with 14.8k versus 12.8k as opposed to betting $1600. With an entire category of questions and one DD remaining, no less.

I wouldn't feel any better having 13.2k in the (less likely) event of a missed DD than I would 12.8k, knowing that the extra $400 will be meaningless in virtually any scenario.

Where does your particular psychological insight come from?
alietr wrote:Are there people who can do these sorts of calculations on the fly? Absolutely. Is that all contestants or even a significant percentage of them? Absolutely not.
Who suggested doing any of this on the fly? All of these are basic situations that contestants need to prepare for long before they ever appear on the show.

Or are you suggesting that $14,800-$12,800= $2,000 is too challenging to do on the fly?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

IronNeck wrote:
alietr wrote:
<snipped>
On these proposed DD wagers you are dismissing the significant psychological aspect of missing the DD and losing your lead.
I can only speak for myself psychologically, but I don't see the difference between being betting $2,000 with 14.8k versus 12.8k as opposed to betting $1600. With an entire category of questions and one DD remaining, no less.

I wouldn't feel any better having 13.2k in the (less likely) event of a missed DD than I would 12.8k, knowing that the extra $400 will be meaningless in virtually any scenario.

alietr wrote:Are there people who can do these sorts of calculations on the fly? Absolutely. Is that all contestants or even a significant percentage of them? Absolutely not.
Who suggested doing any of this on the fly? All of these are basic situations that contestants need to prepare for long before they ever appear on the show.

Or are you suggesting that $14,800-$12,800= $2,000 is too challenging to do on the fly?
You're making an awfully big deal out of a $400 difference in the minimum wager that you declared that he needed to make and the wager he actually made. You said yourself, a difference of $400 is going to be meaningless in virtually any scenario!
BobF

Post by BobF »

JemRiffster wrote: Louis 18 was Louis 16's brother and the last Louis to be king,
Hi. My name is Larry. This is my brother Louis. This is my other brother Louis.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
BobF

Post by BobF »

tjorcutt wrote:My knowledge of the Bourbons ends after Louis xvi, I thought that line ended after the beheading, so I went with napoleon even just because I didn't have a better guess
Welcome to JBoard! I would have pretty much done the same thing, guessed Napoleon with no confidence in the answer simply because I knew he reigned in the 19th and it was interrupted. Even though I kept thinking "he was an emperor not a monarch, does that fit?"
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
BulgarianBeast
Valued Contributor

Post by BulgarianBeast »

For those of you who haven't read it, I strongly recommend "The Count of Monte Cristo". The beginning takes place right before the 100 days, and one of the many things I love about that book is how beautifully Dumas ties in his story with actual history. That is what made this FJ an instaget for me :)
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

jeff6286 wrote:
IronNeck wrote:
alietr wrote:
<snipped>

You're making an awfully big deal out of a $400 difference in the minimum wager that you declared that he needed to make and the wager he actually made. You said yourself, a difference of $400 is going to be meaningless in virtually any scenario!
$400 is not "meaningless" per se, but meaningless in that particular situation. (Getting the DD wrong) In fact, the $400 and then the further $1400 ($1800 total) Tony lost out on with the second DD wager mistake turned out be very significant indeed, costing him the game. (He lost by $301)

Here's a simple example. Player A has $1k. Player B has $11k. Player C has $12k. One question left, worth $2k.

The $2k is mostly worthless for Player A. Very, very meaningful for Player B, and meaningful for Player C primarily only in B not getting it. So the value of money depends on relative position.

Also, as noted, Tony should have bet the difference between him and second place or more both times. I'm not saying $2k was optimal. Only that it's the smallest value which is defensible under a reasonable set of assumptions.