Wednesday, June 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy »

Robert K S wrote:Did Cleveland preempt the Wednesday game? My DVR failed to pick it up for some reason.

Looks like it did air. I'm just plumb out of luck. :cry:
Nope. I got it loud and clear as usual on Ch. 19.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
It was one thing for Addie to miss the "dwarf planet" DD, but the fact that she appeared to properly parse the clue and just not know the term floored me. We all have lacunae in our knowledge, but that one seems ubiquitous.
There is a difference, in my book, between a gap in knowledge and the ability to dredge it up under pressure. This was likely the latter.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Napoleon was involved with Russia?!

NHO "Paradise Lost".

WLT Philadelphia at $200?

WA and OR? Both are coastal, both have big mountains. Never even considered CA because I didn't think it had any particularly noteworthy mountains.
I honestly don't know why you keep writing things like these questions. All of us hereabouts learned long ago that there are many, many things that you NHO that are fairly common knowledge in Trebekistan. Only you seem to be surprised at that fact.
dlbookman
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by dlbookman »

Robert K S wrote:Did Cleveland preempt the Wednesday game? My DVR failed to pick it up for some reason.

Looks like it did air. I'm just plumb out of luck. :cry:
TenPoundHammer wrote:My DVR somehow didn't record yesterday's episode as I was out of town.
Count me in the group of DVR Fails. No idea why. Looks like it simply lost the series record instructions; had to reset for today's show. Fingers crossed.
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
It was one thing for Addie to miss the "dwarf planet" DD, but the fact that she appeared to properly parse the clue and just not know the term floored me. We all have lacunae in our knowledge, but that one seems ubiquitous.
There is a difference, in my book, between a gap in knowledge and the ability to dredge it up under pressure. This was likely the latter.
There's also a difference between knowing that Pluto was demoted and knowing what it's called now. I thought it was "planetoid," which I guess is considered outmoded...I also had no idea what a KBO was (used above) until I looked it up.
davey

Post by davey »

I don't see any ambiguity in the phrase "of the contiguous states." In fact, "the" makes a big difference there. Now, "these two contiguous coastal states" could be confusing. I'd say that means two states together...
In the original clue, if they'd left out "coastal" this would have been a lot harder. With my geography-phobia, I would have melted down on that clue... :?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

davey wrote:I don't see any ambiguity in the phrase "of the contiguous states." In fact, "the" makes a big difference there. Now, "these two contiguous coastal states" could be confusing. I'd say that means two states together...
In the original clue, if they'd left out "coastal" this would have been a lot harder. With my geography-phobia, I would have melted down on that clue... :?
It would have been a lot cleaner if they said "Lower 48" instead.
davey

Post by davey »

davey wrote: In the original clue, if they'd left out "coastal" this would have been a lot harder. With my geography-phobia, I would have melted down on that clue... :?
So tell me, geography-philes...Would that have been a gettable clue...?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

dragonscale333 wrote:Really hated that vodka category. With the limited amount of information given, without specifically knowledge of that vodka, it was impossible to parse out the correct response.

As a neutral spirit, it's hard to regionally place it. Whiskey, beer and wine have lots of regional qualities - so why pick vodka? You couldn't use the name to figure it out, and if you don't drink much vodka (like me), you're gonna have a hard time. (Except for Smirnoff, of course).
I was surprised how this flummoxed the contestants - and wasn't sure why they kept going back to it. I don't think the vodka category was that difficult, particularly since vodka has had a bit of resurgence in popularity. They're just asking if you pay attention (vodka drinkers, that is) to the label. There may have been more obvious vodkas from some of those countries, but it is a trivia game.

Which doesn't mean that some folks can't be frustrated by the category, but it's certainly no more (or less) esoteric from many other subjects they've used.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

davey wrote:
alietr wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
There's also a difference between knowing that Pluto was demoted and knowing what it's called now. I thought it was "planetoid," which I guess is considered outmoded...I also had no idea what a KBO was (used above) until I looked it up.
?? Pluto was made a Knight of the British Ompire???
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:
davey wrote:
alietr wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
?? Pluto was made a Knight of the British Ompire???
That is surprising. Goofy would have been a better choice. At least he talks.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote:
davey wrote: In the original clue, if they'd left out "coastal" this would have been a lot harder. With my geography-phobia, I would have melted down on that clue... :?
So tell me, geography-philes...Would that have been a gettable clue...?
It would have made it more difficult, but I'm pretty sure I'd still get it. Excluding Alaska, there are only three states with a high point exceeding 14,000 feet and there is very little land below sea level. Colorado is quite easy to eliminate because everyone knows Denver is at 5,280 above sea level, so you could reasonably assume there's no land in the state anywhere close to sea level. That leaves Washington and California.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Colorado is quite easy to eliminate because everyone knows Denver is at 5,280 above sea level, so you could reasonably assume there's no land in the state anywhere close to sea level. That leaves Washington and California.
3317 ft, just in case you were wondering. :)

Also, it's the highest low point of any state.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

BADuBois wrote:Boy, I feel like a dope... for some reason I thought "contiguous" used in this context meant two states together... i.e., California and Oregon.

D'oh!
Me too! So I said CA and OR, waffling between that and OR and WA. Just say "in the lower 48" next time, writers!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

zakharov wrote:
BADuBois wrote:Boy, I feel like a dope... for some reason I thought "contiguous" used in this context meant two states together... i.e., California and Oregon.

D'oh!
Me too! So I said CA and OR, waffling between that and OR and WA. Just say "in the lower 48" next time, writers!
I recently visited mount Rainier, so WA was locked in... but the contiguous threw me off and chose OR, without thinking carefully about CA. Lower 48 is much better.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

You can add me to the (probably long) list of people who thought, "OK, California for sure, but is the other state Washington or Oregon?"

I didn't know how Mount Hood ranked in relation to other mountains (although now that I look it up, I see that there are a great many US mountains that outrank Hood) and I guess I also thought about Oregon's larger area giving it more "chance" to have high or low points in some vague sense. So, during those 30 seconds, I made the incorrect choice of Oregon over Washington.
ron
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ron »

Assumed #2 was Washington and was pretty confident.

Knew 3/5 in the vodka category but really that is one of the laziest, most trivial and TOM-less categories I've ever seen.
Last edited by ron on Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm not sure about using "Lower 48." It's kind of a goofy term, isn't it? I would have assumed "lower" means a lower placement on maps, but most maps I've seen tend to place Alaska and Hawaii in the lower left corner. Does anyone know the actual etymology of "lower 48?" Seems like "First 48" would have made the most sense.
Harley R
Contributor

Post by Harley R »

I was glad to see the elevation discussion here today.
Not only was the "contiguous" phrasing, though common, clumsily stated, but what kind of elevation "changes" ever take place?
The correct word would have been "differences".
This is the kind of increasing sloppiness that is very discouraging.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

alietr wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
I would have given her the benefit of the doubt, but both her manner of speaking during her response (not fumbling for the correct term, but trying to come up with something that would describe a not-quite-planet) and her lack of recognition after the correct response was revealed convinced me that she simply wasn't familiar with the term.
Sprinkles are for winners.