Tuesday, July 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7347, 2016-07-19

CONTESTANTS
Carolyn Riegle, a pediatrician from Norfolk, Virginia
Pranjal Vachaspati, a Ph.D. student originally from Shaker Heights, Ohio
Ellen Corrigan, a law clerk from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (whose 3-day cash winnings total $40,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. As you just heard, our champion, Ellen Corrigan, has won three games. And the thing I love about you, Ellen, is that every time you win, you seem genuinely surprised.

Ellen: Yes.

Alex: I hope your confidence has been building as you've appeared day after day on our program. Today you're facing Pranjal and Carolyn, and they want to replace you. So do well, all three. Here we go. Now the categories for the Jeopardy! round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THESE AREN'T BIBLE BOOKS (3/5)
DUDE-ERONOMY (5/5)
JOB, NOT JOB (2/3)
FIRST, QUEENS (5/5)
ADAPTATIONS 5 (5/5)
SYNONYMS 1 & 2 (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Ellen: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Pranjal: 10 R, 2 W
Carolyn: 4 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ellen found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Ellen had $1,000, Pranjal was scoreless, and Carolyn was at $200. Ellen made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

SYNONYMS 1 & 2 $800: This 8-letter synonym for a delegate or ambassador comes from the Latin for "to send out"
(Alex: Ellen?)
(Ellen: Can't think of anything.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Pranjal: $2,400
Ellen: $1,400
Carolyn: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I'm a dog lover, but I'm also partial to cats. And I think I would really like Carolyn Riegel's cat. Tell me about your pet. Because--

Carolyn: I have a very odd cat who actually prefers to eat lettuce and spinach rather than fish or chicken. And I did an experiment when I put a plate of spinach and a plate of raw salmon on the counter, and he went right for the spinach and ate the whole plate.

Alex: A vegan cat.

Carolyn: Exactly.

[Laughter]

Alex: You gotta love it. You gotta love it. All right.

Alex: Pranjal Vachaspati, originally from Shaker Heights, Ohio. I get the feeling you have a great sense of humor, because I heard what you did outside your dorm room. Tell the folks.

Pranjal: That's right. I saw the episode of Seinfeld when Kramer puts a porch outside his apartment, so I decided to build a white picket fence outside my door, that when it opened it would play the uh, bass riff from Seinfeld. And it got a little annoying when people would open and close it, and uh, while I was sleeping, and then the house manager got kinda mad and made me take it out. So then I went to the trash, put it back on my door, and that's when I really got in trouble.

[Laughter]

Pranjal: Sorry, Joe.

Alex: You like getting in trouble, right?

Pranjal: I don't mind.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Ellen Corrigan is our champion. She is a law clerk who did pro bono work with something I am not familiar with. The Marshall-Brennan...

Ellen: Project, yeah. It's a constitutional literacy project. It's really great. So during law school we would go out to um, local high schools, and work with students on basically their constitutional rights. And essentially--especially as it pertained to them in school, so not just search and seizure, but is the school allowed to search their locker and their backpack. Uh, they particularly liked the free speech on the internet sections. Um, and then actually there's a competition at the end of the school year where they go to D.C. They do essentially a moot court. And these kids are really great, for like 16, 17 years old. It's very impressive what they've accomplished.

Alex: I have noticed in our Jeopardy! Teen Tournaments how bright the students are.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SYNONYMS 1 & 2 $1000: Why settle for the devil when you can use Satan or the name of this prince of the devils
(Pranjal: What is Beezlebub?)

JOB, NOT JOB $1000: It's the job title of Chicago city council's 47th Ward rep

THESE AREN'T BIBLE BOOKS $1000: Stewart O'Nan's "West of Sunset" chronicles the life of this troubled writer in 1937 Hollywood

THESE AREN'T BIBLE BOOKS $400: This 1978 novel character writes "The World According to Bensenhaver" as a way to cope with his son's death
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Pranjal: $5,000
Ellen: $3,400
Carolyn: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THESE ARE BIBLE BOOKS (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
I KINGS (3/5)
EXODUS (4/4)
SONG OF SOLOMON (4/5)
REVELATION (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
L"UKE" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Pranjal: 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Ellen: 6 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Carolyn: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ellen snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Ellen had $6,200, Pranjal had $6,600, and Carolyn was at $2,600. Ellen wagered $3,000.

REVELATION $2000: The Teapot Dome scandal during President Harding's term was about giving unfair access to reserves of this commodity

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Pranjal who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Ellen had $11,200, Pranjal had $18,200, and Carolyn was at $7,000. Pranjal wagered $3,210.

THESE ARE BIBLE BOOKS $2000: In "Soliloquy of the Spanish Cloister", Robert Browning rhymed this Pauline epistle with "damnations"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
REVELATION $400: This then-Florida-based tabloid newspaper first exposed John Edwards' affair with a campaign worker

I KINGS $1600: In the 490s B.C. this Persian king tried to invade Greece twice, losing the second time at the battle of Marathon
(Pranjal: Who is Xerxes?)
(Carolyn: Who is Alexander the Great?)

SONG OF SOLOMON $2000: Solomon Burke was part of a supergroup with this "Stand By Me" singer & fellow artist on Atlantic Records in 1968
(Ellen: Who is Otis Redding?)

I KINGS $800: In 1975, after a lapse of 44 years, he restored the Bourbon monarchy to Spain
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Pranjal: $21,410
Ellen: $11,200
Carolyn: $7,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
JUDGES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Pranjal: Wager $991 to cover Ellen, but no more than $7,409 so as not to fall behind Carolyn's doubled score.
Ellen: You have the hope of surpassing Pranjal if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $10,211 to force Pranjal to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Carolyn.
Carolyn: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Before he headed up the Supreme Court, he argued only 1 case before it-- a 1796 case he ironically argued on states' rights grounds

FINAL SCORES
Carolyn: $7,000 - $0 = $7,000 (Who is was John Jay?) (3rd place)
Ellen: $11,200 + $11,000 = $22,200 (Who is John Marshall?) (2nd place)
Pranjal: $21,410 + $4,500 = $25,910 (Who is Marshall?) (New champion: $25,910)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Pranjal: $20,200, 24 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Ellen: $11,200, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Carolyn: $7,000, 9 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $38,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Pranjal: 25/59 = .424
Ellen: 16/60 = .267
Carolyn: 9/58 = .155
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SYNONYMS 1 & 2 $400: The type of headline seen here is called a screamer, a streamer, or this other synonym for a flag

FIRST, QUEENS $400: Queens is the site of Citi Field and this predecessor, seen here
(Alex: Correct, with less than a minute to go now.)

THESE AREN'T BIBLE BOOKS $200: Part of this 1862 French novel tells of how prisoner 24601 became prisoner 9430
(Pranjal: What is The Count of Monte Cristo?)

EXODUS $2000: Members of this faith arriving in Puritan Boston got a un-Friend-ly reception & a Mass. exodus (or worse)
(Pranjal: What is Catholicism?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before the second Daily Double]

CORRECT RESPONSES
an emissary
Beelzebub
alderman
F. Scott Fitzgerald
T.S. Garp
oil
Galatians
The National Enquirer
Darius
Benny King
Juan Carlos
John Marshall
a banner
Shea Stadium
Les Miserables
Quakers (or Catholicism)
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
JUDGES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Before he headed up the Supreme Court, he argued only 1 case before it--a 1796 case he ironically argued on states’ rights grounds

Ellen Corrigan: 11200+11000=22200
Pranjal Vachaspati: 21410+4510=25910 (New champ)
Carolyn Riegle: 7000-7000=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
John Marshall (Carolyn – John Jay)

Daily Doubles
Ellen: 1000-1000
Ellen: 6200+3000
Pranjal:18200+3210

Coryats
Ellen: 11200
Pranjal: 20200
Carolyn: 7000

Combined: 38,400
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I know this because I was at the taping in April, and have been patiently waiting to blow the lid off it here on the JBoard...

Alex accidentally gave away the correct pronunciation of "Beelzebub," so they stopped tape and re-recorded. That's why the other two contestants didn't ring in on that clue after the miss.
thethirdmoose
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by thethirdmoose »

Hi everyone, Pranjal here - happy to answer any questions and provide unsolicited commentary!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

thethirdmoose wrote:Hi everyone, Pranjal here - happy to answer any questions and provide unsolicited commentary!
Why the $3,210 wager?

Congrats on the win!!!!!
thethirdmoose
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by thethirdmoose »

It was a calculation error - I meant to wager 1000 more. And I liked the parts of the Watson shows where it would bet strange numbers.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

thethirdmoose wrote:It was a calculation error - I meant to wager 1000 more. And I liked the parts of the Watson shows where it would bet strange numbers.
Thanks. I thought you were just being cute with a countdown wager. Glad it didn't backfire as you just missed a lock but luckily you got a slam dunk FJ.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I came here to vent about that awful DD wager, only to find that the contestant has already admitted that it was an error. That could have been an extremely costly error!
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations on your excellent win, Pranjal! I had 43 correct responses including these triple stumpers: emissary, alderman, F. Scott Fitzgerald, National Enquirer, Ben E. King, and King Juan Carlos. I also got FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The categories in the J! round reminded me of a Larry the Cable Guy joke where he said something was in the "book of II Parentheses."

"Alderman" struck me as a Sheldon Cooper clue.

NHO "Argo".

WLT William the Conqueror or National Enquirer at $400?

Galatians was a stupid miss. All I could think of was Lamentations which I knew was wrong.

Was it just me, or did we not get a LTaM in either round despite leaving clues behind?

NHO John Marshall, or if I have, the name was way too generic to stick. No guess.
wdaniels47@gmail.com
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by wdaniels47@gmail.com »

Why did they accept the answer on final jeopardy of Marshall when there are two different judges named Marshall, John and Thurgood?
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

trainman wrote:I know this because I was at the taping in April, and have been patiently waiting to blow the lid off it here on the JBoard...

Alex accidentally gave away the correct pronunciation of "Beelzebub," so they stopped tape and re-recorded. That's why the other two contestants didn't ring in on that clue after the miss.
I was confused by that-- I may have misheard the actual pronunciation. Was the "L" dropped? Because what I thought I heard (with admittedly divided attention) was "Beale-za-bub" which is a natural way to pronounce it if one has only read it and not heard it pronounced (I've never seen it written with an umlaut). I thought doing that was considered acceptable.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Congrats Pranjal! I am not confident of a win from the 4th podium this time as I garnered a mere 39R and dithered agonizingly over FJ, finally pulled 'Marshall' in white-knuckled uncertainty.

LT: F Scott Fitzgerald, 1937 Hollywood; The world according to Garp; Nat'l Enquirer; Bourbon Dynasty >King Juan Carlos; Darius > Battle of Marathon. Pretty tough boards IMHO!

Sorry to see Ellen go, such a lovely smile! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Hey judges/writers: ever hear of Ziggy Marley? Thurgood Marshall?

And was that reversal of the Catholic/Quaker thing historically correct?
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Woppy T wrote:Hey judges/writers: ever hear of Ziggy Marley? Thurgood Marshall?
Unless Thurgood Marshall was a sparkly vampire, I'm pretty sure he wasn't around in 1796.

Congratulations, Pranjal!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

wdaniels47@gmail.com wrote:Why did they accept the answer on final jeopardy of Marshall when there are two different judges named Marshall, John and Thurgood?
As mentioned just above, Thurgood wasn't a Chief Justice and wasn't alive in 1796. No way to confuse the two.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Leah wrote:
trainman wrote:I know this because I was at the taping in April, and have been patiently waiting to blow the lid off it here on the JBoard...

I was confused by that-- I may have misheard the actual pronunciation. Was the "L" dropped? Because what I thought I heard (with admittedly divided attention) was "Beale-za-bub" which is a natural way to pronounce it if one has only read it and not heard it pronounced (I've never seen it written with an umlaut). I thought doing that was considered acceptable.
I heard it as something like "Beezelbub", or "Beezebub" putting the L after the Z instead of before, or omitting the L entirely, which made it seem right to neg.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Woppy T wrote:Hey judges/writers: ever hear of Ziggy Marley? Thurgood Marshall?

And was that reversal of the Catholic/Quaker thing historically correct?
I'm guessing, despite the obvious TOM pointing to Quakers, the clue literally interpreted could apply to any religious group the Puritans were hostile to.

I wondered about the lack of a Marley BMS too, but at this point I've given up on how they determine them.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:
wdaniels47@gmail.com wrote:Why did they accept the answer on final jeopardy of Marshall when there are two different judges named Marshall, John and Thurgood?
As mentioned just above, Thurgood wasn't a Chief Justice and wasn't alive in 1796. No way to confuse the two.
A sentence similar to this can be written about every single response that gets a "Be more specific". Some examples from the Archive in the last year.

Only one Marsalis is Branford's brother and received his first trumpet from Al Hirt.
Only one Vice President was named Clinton and shares his name with a P-Funk legend.
Only one Peron was an Argentine leader married to Eva.
Only one Nehru was Indira Gandhi's father.
Only one Simpson was married to Pete Wentz.

Yet Jeopardy! asked players to be more specific in all of these instances. So why take Marshall? I don't see "one wasn't a Chief Justice" as a justifiable reason, as I don't think it should be taken for granted that every contestant knows all of the Chief Justices, or knows every Associate Justice that wasn't a Chief. They are both among the most famous Supreme Court Justices in history, and they share the same last name. The era issue is a better argument, it is pretty unlikely many people are going to mix up an early 1800s Justice with a late 1900s Justice. So in a clue with a date given, I'm not violently opposed to the lack of BMS in this case. They frequently don't BMS on President Johnson, since the two are a century apart, though I don't know if they never have. I don't see anything wrong with a BMS on President Johnson or Justice Marshall on a regular clue, since if we're all assuming that no one should mix the two up, then there should be no harm in being sure by asking for first name. FJ is a bit trickier since players would have to recognize that there are two people in the same field with the same last name, and that they should specify. With President Bush or Roosevelt I think it's reasonable to expect this, while not so much in the case of Justice Marshall.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.