Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DWS »

I agree that Paul should have been given a prompt (rather than an immediate neg) on the first homophonic pair.

I also agree that the sports numbers category was very easy for a TOC.

I had to laugh at the sunfish clue because when the clue appeared I immediately blurted out "angelfish," then I looked at the picture and realized that it certainly was not an angelfish. (My family had an aquarium with a few angelfish when I was a child.) Unfortunately, I couldn't get to sunfish in time.
shubhaghosh
Contributor

Post by shubhaghosh »

seaborgium wrote:
shubhaghosh wrote:"Watching it now. Buddy's whispering of noble gases on the DD was a detail I missed in the studio!"

What other noble gas begins with the letter K?
Have you ever been faced with a "Which X is..." question, and listed Xs in your mind until you found the one that fit the question?

Uh, yes, but there is only one X in this case. But it is always good to double check.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

shubhaghosh wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
shubhaghosh wrote:"Watching it now. Buddy's whispering of noble gases on the DD was a detail I missed in the studio!"

Have you ever been faced with a "Which X is..." question, and listed Xs in your mind until you found the one that fit the question?

Uh, yes, but there is only one X in this case. But it is always good to double check.
I count six noble gases.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

One more hockey sidetrack. Today's local paper had this headline for the hockey roundup:

Isles' Nabokov perforated

Ouch! As if giving up 3 goals on 12 shots in less than 15 minutes wasn't enough. Once you leave the Sharks the paper gives you no mercy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It was funny they had a clue at the top of postage stamps that mentioned the number on a race car in the same round as sports numbers.

Yes, FJ was simple, but took some doing on my part. I started out with chorus before landing on lyrics.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Very excited to see Erin advancing with the WC. Congrats to Buddy and to Erin!

Erin, I particularly loved how you came back from a tough beginning and steadily climbed to a very strong finish (looked like you followed Maggie's "no rear view" rule of moving ahead instead of looking back at mistakes). I was rooting for you and so glad to see you cleaning up in this game.

As for the icthyology class, they'll enjoy giving you a hard time, but so much better that this was in a game where you advanced, so it's just a funny story. (And yes, Alex put the stress on "heavenly" - I immediately went to angel because of that.)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

boson wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:I
The question was poor as you indicate: it was describing the fact that rubbing along the rim of a wine glass excites resonance, however when it described "the number of vibrations per second" it is asking for a response of "frequency" (or resonant frequency) and nothing else. A clumsy clue, but the last phrase of it was very clear, and answering "resonance" is wrong. Resonance as a term is not in general shorthand for resonant frequency, since there are other quantities of a resonant system that are important too (eg. amplitude).

Glad to see someone more knowledgeable clarify this for me. Halfway through the clue I was also ready to shout out "Resonance!" until they came to the "vibrations per second" part, which is kind of the dictionary definition of frequency. I thought it was a poorly worded clue even though I got it right.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote:My FJ get for this game started with an inability to parse the clue. Then I zeroed in on the last word of the clue (helped by the "this" pointer) and the last word of the category. Instrument + Greek = lyre, and once I had that, the rest of the clue was a cinch to understand and an instant confirmation that I had the correct response.
Basically how it went for me. I wrote down lyre, thinking that it basically fits and I'll have something down, then I worked the clue out, and 20 seconds in, "Lyric? Lyre! I was right!" :lol:

Kneon.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote:It was funny they had a clue at the top of postage stamps that mentioned the number on a race car in the same round as sports numbers.

Yes, FJ was simple, but took some doing on my part. I started out with chorus before landing on lyrics.

I was confused by FJ and don't know if it's just because I misunderstand "instrumental." Does that mean instuments ONLY, and no vocals? I thought an instrumental piece could have vocals, and that the opposite was something along the lines of a capella (voices, no instruments). That line of thinking took me nowhere, and I ended up unenthusiastically going with "lyre" as in lyrics. But I still think the wording was misleading. Or can someone unconfuse me?

And oh yeah, many congrats to Erin on a well-deserved advance to the SF!
Volante

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote:
Bamaman wrote:It was funny they had a clue at the top of postage stamps that mentioned the number on a race car in the same round as sports numbers.

I was confused by FJ and don't know if it's just because I misunderstand "instrumental." Does that mean instuments ONLY, and no vocals? I thought an instrumental piece could have vocals, and that the opposite was something along the lines of a capella (voices, no instruments). That line of thinking took me nowhere, and I ended up unenthusiastically going with "lyre" as in lyrics. But I still think the wording was misleading. Or can someone unconfuse me?

And oh yeah, many congrats to Erin on a well-deserved advance to the SF!
It's not as concrete as 'no vocals' but it is 'no lyrics.' Whistling doesn't make a piece non-instrumental, nor does shouting 'Tequila!!' once in a while, but there's nothing sung.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
pkursk

Post by pkursk »

Code: Select all

I think Paul should have been extended a similar courtesy. Or better yet, they should have noted the need to pre-explain the category should they use it again. Now, granted, a couple of things were different this time around. 1) It was a TOC. That could translate to less latitude and higher expectations. 2) Paul blanched under Alex's icy stare and added a word that made his response incorrect. Whether Alex might have offered some assistance if Paul had waited, I don't know. It seemed to me that he was silent for quite some time before he added the extra word. I imagine Paul can confirm for us that the period of silence was somewhere around an hour and a half, give or take.
Yeah, felt like exactly that. The icy stare and stony silence (and other adjective-noun combinations) really threw me for a loop and I could have stood there all day and not realized they were looking for the pair. I knew I should have worn The Wide Tie. It would have acted as a talisman against such Trebekian black magic.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Glassysquid wrote:
seaborgium wrote:I was prepared to make fun of the marine biology student for missing the sunfish clue, but on second (well, technically third) viewing, I have decided Alex's delivery was misleading. Should have been read "not starfish but THIS heavenly fish," but Alex said "not starfish but this HEAVENLY fish," which steered me wrong in the studio, as I recall.
I am going to get SO MUCH CRAP tomorrow in my ichthyology class for not getting it. SO. MUCH. CRAP.

Or maybe you're going to get SO. MUCH. CARP.

Congratulations on a well-played game!

~ Julie
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

It got a little ugly early with liter/kilometer--props to Erin for playing strong the rest of the way and not getting rattled. Goes to show that nerves are a tough factor to overcome, even if you're well-prepared.

The most disappointing part of the game for me was the sunfish question, but not because Erin missed it, of course. Gasped when angelfish was wrong, checked my notes, and sure enough there it was-- "heavenly" fish = angelfish. Oh no! So that phrase has always clued angelfish in the past (haven't checked this, but if it's in my notes it should be true). At least I still have "rock that sounds pleasant" = gneiss; that should be a safe one.

My impression was that the FJ was a really easy one, but I see reading through the posts that I was wrong. For me, "what's not in an instrumental?" = "lyrics" = "lyre," "done in 2 seconds" as some have said. At least compared to some of the other FJs we have seen, it seemed more of a regular-show-level FJ. I'd be a little annoyed after seeing this FJ if I were trying for a wild card spot and faced the name-two-countries FJ. But nice work by Erin (and maybe Paul??) converting it into a wild card spot. Great accomplishment for the college champion in this field, in my opinion.

Good win by Buddy. Some have cited a 3/9 on DD statistic, but on the other hand, he was able to make the tournament field despite those bad results on DDs. So he may have just run into a bad sample of DD questions that he happened to not know. After whiffing on predicting the winner of the TomN/Jay/Charles and John/Tom/Joon games, I finally got one right.
nimble20
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by nimble20 »

I thought I heard Paul respond "LITER" to a question about the equivalent of 1000 cubic centimeters. He was told that was a wrong answer and the correct answer was KILOGRAM. I believe that his answer was, in fact, correct. If this is true, it is no wonder that he lost his edge.
Volante

Post by Volante »

nimble20 wrote:I thought I heard Paul respond "LITER" to a question about the equivalent of 1000 cubic centimeters. He was told that was a wrong answer and the correct answer was KILOGRAM. I believe that his answer was, in fact, correct. If this is true, it is no wonder that he lost his edge.
It was asking for the SI unit based on the weight of 1000 cubic ccs of water.
(Also, the category was Science "K"lass, so everything had to start with a K.)
shubhaghosh
Contributor

Post by shubhaghosh »

seaborgium wrote: Uh, yes, but there is only one X in this case. But it is always good to double check.
I count six noble gases.

Yes, but the category was asking for an answer that begins with the letter K.
Dzul

Post by Dzul »

shubhaghosh wrote:
seaborgium wrote: Uh, yes, but there is only one X in this case. But it is always good to double check.
I count six noble gases.

Yes, but the category was asking for an answer that begins with the letter K.
Standing under the lights, in the TOC, and given the time to think, I can't fault Buddy one bit for reciting them all just to be sure.

Great win, Buddy. Very impressive.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

Volante wrote:
nimble20 wrote:I thought I heard Paul respond "LITER" to a question about the equivalent of 1000 cubic centimeters. He was told that was a wrong answer and the correct answer was KILOGRAM. I believe that his answer was, in fact, correct. If this is true, it is no wonder that he lost his edge.
Wasn't it actually asking for the mass?
Volante

Post by Volante »

slam wrote:
Volante wrote:
Wasn't it actually asking for the mass?
That would make more sense... *curses his lapses into casual definitions*
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I spent 25 seconds trying to think of an instrument that sounded like vocal. Finally said lyre just because it's an old instrument, then the connection hit me.

I wish gnash were here to tear apart that kilogram clue (was it even in this game? I've been watching them on DVR).

I see from the post above that it was.