Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6241, 2011-11-07

2011 Tournament of Champions quarterfinal game 4.

CONTESTANTS
Buddy Wright, an operations engineer from Fort Worth, Texas
Erin McLean, a junior at Boston University from Danvers, Massachusetts
Paul Kursky, an online marketing producer from San Francisco, California

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. You, too, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome. We start the week off with quarterfinal match number four. We have one more quarterfinal tomorrow, and then three semifinal games. Paul, Erin, and Buddy, good to see you again. Good luck, also. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round for you. Pay close attention, here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ON A U.S. POSTAGE STAMP (4/5)
SPORTS NUMBERS (5/5)
HOMOPHONIC PAIRS (5/5)
PLANET OF THE CORGIS (5/5)
THE CARIBBEAN (5/5)
SCIENCE "K"LASS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Buddy: 15 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Erin: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Paul: 6 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Buddy found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. Paul was in the hole with -$200, Erin was in the red with -$200, and Buddy was at $800. Buddy wagered $1,000.

SCIENCE "K"LASS $600: This noble gas used in high-speed photography lamps takes its name from the Greek for "hidden"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Buddy: $3,800
Paul: $1,000
Erin: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Buddy Wright is from Fort Worth, Texas, and he's having a problem with his 3-year-old son. What is that problem?

Buddy: Well, my son is used to doing video conferencing with my in-laws up in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.

Alex: Wait a minute--he's only 3 and he does that? He knows how to do that?

Buddy: So does my 1-year-old. He doesn't do it himself.

Alex: Oh, okay.

Buddy: But he's used to the television being very interactive. So when my Jeopardy! episodes first aired, he was waiting for daddy to talk to him. And when daddy didn't talk back, he cried for the entire episode.

Alex: Aw, poor kid. All right.

[Laughter]

Buddy: He's gotten over it now.

Alex: I-I'm glad to hear that.

Alex: Erin McLean is our college champion. And she picked up $100,000 there. And you became good friends with some of the other participants, or other champions?

Erin: Yeah, the other participants on the show and I are really good friends. Um, everyone asks me how it was with them, expecting me to say that it was a really cutthroat, um, scary environment to be in, but I made some of my best friends on that tournament, and they're all great people.

Alex: Good, I'm glad to hear that.

Alex: Paul Kursky is from San Francisco. He used his winnings to do what?

Paul: Uh, I used my winnings to take my fiancée to Hawaii and buy her an engagement ring and propose to her...

Alex: Good for you.

Paul: So thank you.

Alex: But you saved--you saved a lot of your winnings?

Paul: I saved the bulk of it for a house, grad school, rainy day.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SCIENCE "K"LASS $800: A substance to start a fire, or the point that's the lowest temperature at which something will autoignite

ON A U.S. POSTAGE STAMP $600: Oveta Culp Hobby, who helped form this, WAC for short
(Buddy: What is the Women's Air Corps?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Buddy: $8,000
Erin: $4,800
Paul: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
VERSE CASE SCENARIO (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CHARACTERS FROM MOVIES (2/5)
WHAT'D YOU CATCH? (2/5)
9-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
NOTABLE WOMEN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TREASURES OF THE NEW-YORK HISTORICAL SOCIETY (4/5) (Alex: ...whose galleries will reopen this month after extensive renovations.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Buddy: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Erin: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Paul: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Erin snagged the next Daily Double on the 20th clue. Paul was in the hole with -$800, Erin had $8,000, and Buddy was at $12,000. Erin wagered $2,200.

VERSE CASE SCENARIO $2000: Longfellow: "Behind the clouds is the sun still shining; thy fate is the common fate of all, into each life" these four words
(Erin: What is "the sun also rises"?)
(Alex: No, that's the Bible.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Buddy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Paul had no money, Erin had $7,400, and Buddy was at $13,600. Buddy wagered $1,600.

NOTABLE WOMEN $2000: Piloting Vostok 6, she orbited the Earth 48 times during her trip into space in 1963

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WHAT'D YOU CATCH? $800: After a struggle, not a fish, but an Eagle GT tire from this maker

WHAT'D YOU CATCH? $1600: A cold, while fishing nearly 200-square-mile Flathead Lake in this northern state
(Paul: What's Minnesota?)

WHAT'D YOU CATCH? $2000: This fish with a beach city just south of Boca Raton named for it

CHARACTERS FROM MOVIES $1200: 1978:
Dean Vernon Wormer,
Doug Neidermeyer

CHARACTERS FROM MOVIES $1600: 1989:
Lloyd Dobler,
Diane Court
(Paul: What is Better Off Dead?)

CHARACTERS FROM MOVIES $2000: 1982:
King Kaiser,
Alan Swann

VERSE CASE SCENARIO $1600: She began a poem, "What lips my lips have kissed, and where, and why, I have forgotten"

TREASURES OF THE NEW-YORK HISTORICAL SOCIETY $2000: In November of 1776 more than 700 New Yorkers loyal to Britain signed what's known as the "Declaration of" this

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Buddy: $16,800
Erin: $8,600
Paul: $1,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FROM THE GREEK

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Buddy: Wager $401 to cover Erin, but no more than $14,399 so as not to fall behind Paul's doubled score.
Erin: You have the hope of surpassing Buddy if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $8,201 to force Buddy to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $6,199 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Paul.
Paul: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The word for a song element you won't find in instrumentals comes from the name of this instrument

FINAL SCORES
Paul: $1,200 + $1,200 = $2,400 (What is a lyre?) (3rd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Erin: $8,600 + $7,403 = $16,003 (What is a Lyre?) (2nd place: $5,000 if eliminated)
Buddy: $16,800 + $401 = $17,201 (What is a lyre?) (Automatic semifinalist)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Buddy: $16,800, 23 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Erin: $10,800, 14 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Paul: $1,200, 12 R, 7 W
Combined Coryat: $28,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Buddy: 24/60 = .400
Erin: 15/59 = .254
Paul: 13/58 = .224
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SCIENCE "K"LASS $200: Almost exactly equal to the mass of 1,000 cubic centimeters of water, it's a base unit in the metric system
(Paul: What's a liter?)
(Erin: What's a kilometer?)

ON A U.S. POSTAGE STAMP $400: This ovine critter seen here on a 17-cent stamp

SPORTS NUMBERS $800: An NHL team killing a penalty normally has this many guys on the ice
(Paul: What is 4? Nope!)
(Alex: Paul forgot about the goaltender, I bet.)

HOMOPHONIC PAIRS $200: Ongoing TV drama about Cap'n Crunch or Cheerios
(Paul: What is a cereal... drama?)

HOMOPHONIC PAIRS $1000: A mixture of 2 languages spoken by a plentiful city bird
[Applause for Buddy's run of the category]
(Alex: Hey, you did well with homophonic pairs. And you have a $7,000 lead at the moment.)

ON A U.S. POSTAGE STAMP $800: The dinnerware seen here, with this Spanish name

PLANET OF THE CORGIS $600: Here's our friend the corgi taking this future world leader for a walk in Hyde Park around 1940
(Paul: Who is Roosevelt?

THE CARIBBEAN $800: The boulders seen here, known as "the Baths", are an attraction in this group, known as the BVI

WHAT'D YOU CATCH? $1200: Not a starfish, but this heavenly one
(Erin: What is an angelfish?)

9-LETTER WORDS $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew rubs her finger on a glass.) Rubbing your finger on the rim causes the glass to vibrate; the sound's pitch is due to this 9-letter term, the number of vibrations per second
(Paul: What is resonance?)

NOTABLE WOMEN $1600: This Italian-born woman was famous for her educational methods

TREASURES OF THE NEW-YORK HISTORICAL SOCIETY $400: This man slept here--no, really--during the Revolutionary War

TREASURES OF THE NEW-YORK HISTORICAL SOCIETY $800: John J. Audubon never made it to California; he painted this vulture species from a dead specimen

TREASURES OF THE NEW-YORK HISTORICAL SOCIETY $1200: John Jay's "In Relation to Foreign Nations" is one of just four extant manuscripts in the series known as these "Papers"

TREASURES OF THE NEW-YORK HISTORICAL SOCIETY $1600: New York City is the finish line of the 73-step board game called "Round the World with" this adventuress

CORRECT RESPONSES
krypton
the kindling point
the Women's Army Corps
"some rain must fall"
(Valentina) Tereshkova
Goodyear
Montana
a pompano
National Lampoon's Animal House
Say Anything...
My Favorite Year
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Dependence
a lyre
kilogram
a bighorn sheep
cereal serial
pigeon pidgin
Fiesta ware
Queen Elizabeth II
the British Virgin Islands
a sunfish
frequency
(Maria) Montessori
Washington
a California condor
the Federalist Papers
Nellie Bly
boson
Trivial

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by boson »

Welcome back archivists! We missed you! Thanks to alietr for starting the daily thread in your absence(and for starting this whole ad-hoc community!). Is this a script-generated post that can be done every day without personal attention? That would save him the effort.

We now have two threads for today's game though. I propose, for the sake of maximum obfuscation, that we alternate words in each thread.
bpmod
Rank

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by bpmod »

boson wrote:Is this a script-generated post that can be done every day without personal attention? That would save him the effort.
How did you know? I tried to make it as human as possible.
We now have two threads for today's game though. I propose, for the sake of maximum obfuscation, that we alternate words in each thread.
Now, that would be cool.

As far as having two threads... could some nice moderator please merge them? The old one into the new would be better because it has the hook for the updates when the game gets archived.

Thanks

Brian's bot
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

It's always hard for me to see an excellent champion struggle in regaining his or her edge on the Signaling Device, and I'm afraid that's what happened to Paul Kursky today. I expected him to win this game, but unfortunately for him he seemed unable to get any kind of a rhythm going. Nevertheless, with one game left in the first round he still has an opportunity to make the semifinals via wildcard, and that's probably the best position he could hope to be in after finishing with a score of $2,400.

Erin McLean performed very well, surpassing my expectations by a substantial margin. The way she went about it reminded me of the effort put forth by Nick Yozamp in his own Tournament of Champions quarterfinal last year. Both players built their score slowly but steadily, not making many mistakes, and took advantage of their positioning in the Final Jeopardy! round to nab a wildcard.

Buddy Wright was excellent today. I'm not sure if the win gives me cause to believe that he's going to be a major challenger to Roger Craig, Joon Pahk or Mark Runsvold (among others), but he's certainly caught my attention.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Easiest FJ so far. I think it would have been funny if Erin had wagered $400 more and been the second person to beat Jay by $2. edit: and it would have made sense for her to clear $16,400, since Buddy's wager to cover would have dropped him to $16,399. edit again: even though Jay was already guaranteed a wild card at the pre-FJ standings.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

I struggled with FJ until I ignored most of the clue and probed my memory with "Greek + instrument," which led me to the correct response in time.

I don't understand Erin's FJ wager.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

DWS wrote:I don't understand Erin's FJ wager.
My guess is that $16,000 was the wild card number she decided to aim for, and she threw in a few more dollars in case someone else had the same thought. Pretty much the same reason I wagered $1,225 from $14,800 in my QF. (I thought someone in another QF might go for $16,018 with my two $xx,x17 finishes in mind.)
Fishercat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fishercat »

Seemed like a buzzer battle game. I didn't count the TS, but it seemed like a higher number, but a ton of clues they all knew as well.

I expected as much from Erin, she was pretty clearly capable on her college run and she did well again. I think Paul just lost some buzzer mojo. Buddy did extremely well for himself and seemed to just dominate on the buzzer in the Jeopardy round.

Thought that the sports numbers category and homonyms category belonged in a regular Jeopardy game somewhere, but Double Jeopardy felt about right to me.

I was thinking Erin might wager a bit more to get try and pass Buddy if she was going to go that big, but I have no issue with the wager.

Oddly enough, the usually helpful hint probably took me away from the correct FJ answer. I was thinking lyre when I heard Greek instrument, but my mind locked in on "vocal" and trying to find a word to match that for an instrument. Oh well.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

seaborgium wrote:Easiest FJ so far. I think it would have been funny if Erin had wagered $400 more and been the second person to beat Jay by $2. edit: and it would have made sense for her to clear $16,400, since Buddy's wager to cover would have dropped him to $16,399. edit again: even though Jay was already guaranteed a wild card at the pre-FJ standings.
Jay Rhee, Erin, Kara, and Paul are now the four wild cards. Jay and Erin are guaranteed spots in the semis. Kara has $6012(could have had $12K if she went all in which should have been done in her case going into FJ!), and Paul has $2400.
Last edited by legendneverdies on Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Buddy on the win and to Erin for earning a wild card spot!

I agree that Paul just got destroyed on the buzzer. It looked like all three players knew about the same amount. It didn't look like Erin or Paul would be able to beat Buddy to a single buzzer race in the J! round, but Erin eventually found her groove.

I negged with Goodall for Fosse. I always get them mixed up. Props to Paul for choosing the right one.

The Tereshkova DD was overvalued at $2000, and it looked like Buddy agreed. Erin's $2000 DD in the poetry category was a lot harder.

On the whole I thought that this was by far the easiest board of the tournament so far, though there were some tough clues here and there.

The FJ clue was also easy...even though I blanked on it and guessed harpsichord. This was a FJ category where I would have bet like $200 from Erin's position. I am glad that she made a more aggressive wager.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

StevenH wrote:Congrats to Buddy on the win and to Erin for earning a wild card spot!

I negged with Goodall for Fosse. I always get them mixed up. Props to Paul for choosing the right one.
Agreed on both fronts.

I said Goodall, then realized Jane Goodall wasn't dead, and went "uh uh uh uh....er...*beep*"
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

From the Greek
The word for a song element you won't find in instrumentals comes from the name of this instrument.
Spoiler
What is the lyre?
Buddy Wright: $16,800+$401=$17,201
Erin McLean: $8,600+$7,403=$16,003
Paul Kursky: $1,200+$1,200=$2,400
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

StevenH wrote:. Erin's $2000 DD in the poetry category was a lot harder.
I was shocked to realize that I knew that $2,000 poetry clue, since I was 0/4 in the rest of the category, and didn't even have a reasonable guess for most of them. I at first thought it was going for "into each life, a little rain must fall", but then realized that it only wanted 4 words, not 5, so I guessed "some rain must fall" would make sense, and it turned out to be correct. It appears that somewhere along the line Longfellow's quote was paraphrased a little, as I couldn't ever recall hearing "some rain must fall", but Google search seems to indicate otherwise, so maybe I've just been hearing the quote in the wrong places.
Glassysquid
Jeopardy 2010-B College Champion

Post by Glassysquid »

Stefan's right, that's exactly what I was going for. I had no idea what the threshold for a wild card spot would be, I assumed it would be high, so I went with $16000 as my base line. I knew it was risky, but Greek/Latin roots are a wheelhouse for me (SAT studying still comes in handy, I guess) so I just went for it.

I also want to mention that I absolutely adore Paul and Buddy, and watching them tonight was a real treat. We've all really bonded in the time since the tournament, and Buddy always tells me how adorable I am, so obviously I adore him right back. :) I had kind of forgotten all but the outcome of this game, it's funny how stress does that to you.

Also, corgis are my favorite dog breed ever, and I wish they had cut to a reaction shot of my face as they revealed that. I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped and then I went into the biggest, cheesiest smile.

I'm beyond pleased to have exceeded expectations, too. :)
Proud member of ESPRIT DE CORPS, otherwise known as the 16 fine individuals who participated in the 2010-B College Championship, and the outstanding ToC Class of 2011.
Fish/squid enthusiast and Ph. D student at the University of Rhode Island.
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

Fishercat wrote:
I expected as much from Erin, she was pretty clearly capable on her college run and she did well again. I think Paul just lost some buzzer mojo. Buddy did extremely well for himself and seemed to just dominate on the buzzer in the Jeopardy round.

Oddly enough, the usually helpful hint probably took me away from the correct FJ answer. I was thinking lyre when I heard Greek instrument, but my mind locked in on "vocal" and trying to find a word to match that for an instrument. Oh well.
I hope Erin gets the wildcard even though I do have a problem with her too fast delivery on her answers... I had the same problem with most of the participants in the last "young people" championships... Had to get some answers off the archives ;-(

No idea on FJ either : I did the same thing you did, focusing on instruments, and couldn't understand what the clue wanted.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

seaborgium wrote:
DWS wrote:I don't understand Erin's FJ wager.
My guess is that $16,000 was the wild card number she decided to aim for, and she threw in a few more dollars in case someone else had the same thought. Pretty much the same reason I wagered $1,225 from $14,800 in my QF. (I thought someone in another QF might go for $16,018 with my two $xx,x17 finishes in mind.)
Sure, but in this case her wager is in that narrow band where it's just large enough to drop her below Paul if she gets it wrong, but not quite large enough to top Buddy if he gets it wrong and she gets it right. Either a little more or a little less is highly preferable!

But it's all moot on this FJ. Well played to Erin and Buddy.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Glassysquid wrote:Also, corgis are my favorite dog breed ever, and I wish they had cut to a reaction shot of my face as they revealed that. I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped and then I went into the biggest, cheesiest smile.
I was just coming here to thank you for continually going back to that catagory. My phone rang as I was making dinner tonight, and it was my mom, making sure that I was going to watch it - she said "There's a catagory you'll love." (I have a 4 year old Cardigan Welsh Corgi. Whose name is Maggie. J!Maggie got a big kick out of that at my audition.) Corgis are the best. Great job securing a wild card!
Last edited by mam418 on Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happybooker
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by happybooker »

Glassysquid wrote:
Also, corgis are my favorite dog breed ever, and I wish they had cut to a reaction shot of my face as they revealed that. I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped and then I went into the biggest, cheesiest smile.
As a serial corgi owner, I have to say that a "big cheesey grin" is one of their most endearing characteristics.
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Well done, Erin! I was pulling for you. I love seeing the college champ advance.