Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

First, congratulations to Buddy on a very well-played game, and Erin as well (is she officially in, or just looking good?). Good to hear the Esprit de Corps has been hanging tough and got a shout-out as well. Sorry that it just didn't go your way this time, Paul. Just a tough outing.

Again, my apologies to Buddy and Paul (if you saw the other thread for today). Just spaced on it.

Now ... Animal House?!??! Say Anything?!?!?! I'll give you My Favorite Year, but those two?!?! Thank you. I feel better now. Somehow my shouting answers at the TV only seems to work for Joon.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

alietr wrote:First, congratulations to Buddy on a very well-played game, and Erin as well (is she officially in, or just looking good?). Good to hear the Esprit de Corps has been hanging tough and got a shout-out as well. Sorry that it just didn't go your way this time, Paul. Just a tough outing.
Jay and Erin are guaranteed Wild Cards with over $16K each . Kara($6012) and Paul($2400) are on the bubble depending on tomorrow's game. Kara arguably should have $12K but underwagered, and in a game like the one she was in she arguably should have gone all in to make a wild card spot more likely if correct.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote:First, congratulations to Buddy on a very well-played game, and Erin as well (is she officially in, or just looking good?).
legendneverdies is saying it, but not really explaining it: because one game produces a maximum of two wild cards*, the two highest scoring non-winners by the end of QF4 are guaranteed to be semifinalists, since the worst they can do is be the third and fourth wild cards. Jay and Erin are currently #1 and #2 respectively among non-winners, so we'll see them in the semis.

*If there was a triple-zero in a tough QF round that had six or more zero or negative scores besides, the triple-zero could possibly produce three wild cards. But there would be an extra wild card to give out in that case anyway.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Congrats Buddy and Erin! A fun game to watch. Buddy in particular looked confident and in control of the buzzer.

I continue to be dumbfounded by the dominant players whose buzzer mojo has left them. My sympathies to Paul - a half hour game can seem like a very long time when you can't win the buzzer races.
legendneverdies wrote: Jay Rhee, Erin, Kara, and Paul are now the four wild cards. Jay and Erin are guaranteed spots in the semis. Kara has $6012(could have had $12K if she went all in which should have been done in her case going into FJ!), and Paul has $2400.
Sorry, your suggestion that Kara should have gone "all in" doesn't follow. Remember which FJ question her group had? Remember the poll results saying basically 10% chance of getting it right? (If you assume the average boardie is the average TOCer, which is by no means true). She got FJ correct, but these have been pretty tough questions.

If (a priori) a $6000 total has about a 35% chance of being good enough for a wild card spot , and if you figure your odds of getting final Jeopardy correct are less than that, then a small wager is perfectly justified.
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

Congrats to Erin and Buddy for moving on! I thought this was a good game overall, with some interesting categories and good clues. My thinking on FJ went something like "vocals? harmony? lyrics! lyre!" well within the time. Looking forward to tomorrow's game and seeing the whole slate of semi-finalists!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

boson wrote:
legendneverdies wrote: Jay Rhee, Erin, Kara, and Paul are now the four wild cards. Jay and Erin are guaranteed spots in the semis. Kara has $6012(could have had $12K if she went all in which should have been done in her case going into FJ!), and Paul has $2400.
Sorry, your suggestion that Kara should have gone "all in" doesn't follow. Remember which FJ question her group had? Remember the poll results saying basically 10% chance of getting it right? (If you assume the average boardie is the average TOCer, which is by no means true). She got FJ correct, but these have been pretty tough questions.

If (a priori) a $6000 total has about a 35% chance of being good enough for a wild card spot , and if you figure your odds of getting final Jeopardy correct are less than that, then a small wager is perfectly justified.
Not to mention that, had she bet everything, she'd still be just as much on the bubble as she is now (albeit with a better total).
aggiebud
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by aggiebud »

Erin is 100% correct - I was in a stress induced amnesia about this game as well.

Glad I got my DD's correct - maybe I'll get up to 50% for my career by the end of this (for those keeping score at home). I played the second one conservatively, since I had a big lead, it was late in the game, Erin is really starting to burn up the boards, and it's a $2K clue in a very broad category, not to mention that I felt pretty safe, at very lease for a wild card...no need to lose any ground.

Erin and Paul are both great people who I'm happy to call friends. Erin played a great game - and Paul just had a bad day. On a different day, Paul could have won that game just as easily. I count myself lucky to have gotten out of the Quarterfinals with a win.
jgpeterson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jgpeterson »

Glassysquid wrote:Stefan's right, that's exactly what I was going for. I had no idea what the threshold for a wild card spot would be, I assumed it would be high, so I went with $16000 as my base line. I knew it was risky, but Greek/Latin roots are a wheelhouse for me (SAT studying still comes in handy, I guess) so I just went for it.

I also want to mention that I absolutely adore Paul and Buddy, and watching them tonight was a real treat. We've all really bonded in the time since the tournament, and Buddy always tells me how adorable I am, so obviously I adore him right back. :) I had kind of forgotten all but the outcome of this game, it's funny how stress does that to you.

Also, corgis are my favorite dog breed ever, and I wish they had cut to a reaction shot of my face as they revealed that. I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped and then I went into the biggest, cheesiest smile.

I'm beyond pleased to have exceeded expectations, too. :)
Well done! I have to admit, I didn't like your chances as the college tourney champ, but I'm pleasantly surprised. You wholly deserve that WC. You beat Paul and hung in with Buddy.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

boson wrote:

Yeah, but you're forgetting one important point. Kara should have bet it all because she got it right! :D
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Watching it now. Buddy's whispering of noble gases on the DD was a detail I missed in the studio!
aggiebud
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by aggiebud »

seaborgium wrote:Watching it now. Buddy's whispering of noble gases on the DD was a detail I missed in the studio!
Yeah - I had a complete and total brain freeze as the question as asked. I wondered if it would be obvious that I was going down the end of the periodic table...
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Yay Buddy! Yay Erin! Nice runs by the both of you.

If the AFI establishes a list of the 100 best cuts from one scene to the next, My Favorite Year deserves to be up in the top 20 at least for the switch from the ladies' room to the hot dog stand.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Congrats Bud, and a big WHOOP! Gig 'em and good luck in the semis!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I was prepared to make fun of the marine biology student for missing the sunfish clue, but on second (well, technically third) viewing, I have decided Alex's delivery was misleading. Should have been read "not starfish but THIS heavenly fish," but Alex said "not starfish but this HEAVENLY fish," which steered me wrong in the studio, as I recall.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'll share how I missed the FJ clue. First I tried refrain for a part of a song. An instrument? I have nothing. Chorus? Let's find an instrument. Sounds like chord. I wrote clavichord. Greek roots? I didn't know, but it was the best I could do.

Lyrics to lyre? I could have made the leap to the instrument with no problem. It was getting to the first part that I have no idea how long it would have taken. Very nice triple solve by the players.

Paul's buzzer may not have been friendly, but all the bullet holes in his feet hurt him also. He deserves a check into the boards for blurting out the wrong number for the hockey penalty kill. A few more CLAMs could have had him a better position to make the nine.

Krypton and Animal House were the yell-at-homes tonight. One worked. My Favorite Year I could forgive.

Erin did what any TOC player should be able to do in getting a high enough score to earn a wildcard with a healthy wager on a solve on the FJ clue. Where Paul seemed to have lost a step or two over the long qualification period, Buddy seemed ready to go. Sometimes that just how it goes. Buddy was clearly high Silver or low Gold tonight. His draw in the semis will give him another chance to prove how wrong I was to put him in Bronze.

The Sports Numbers category was a joke for the TOC. 15 for the first score in tennis is the toughest clue? I say start with that. The What'd You Catch was UTOC for me with this land lubber outclassed.
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

When I heard the FJ clue, I didn't really understand what it was about (of course, now I understand).

Was disappointed with my performance in the sports and poetry categories b/c I've been working on those... just in case. And of course, when Corgis came up, I knew there had to be an Elizabeth II question.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

In addition to my moderation here, I'm an administrator on LyricWiki, which, as the name implies, is a wiki for song lyrics. I got FJ! in about half a second.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'm kind of wonder about a couple of things that didn't break Paul's way. He assumed (as did I) that "Homophonic Pairs" was just like "Homophones", a regular category on Jeopardy! For "Homophones", you only need to state the word once. E.g. "What is cereal?" (or "What is serial?") as Paul did. But the rules of "Homphonic Pairs" say you're supposed to say it twice. For a category that shows up less than once a year, I feel a little instruction and/or latitude was in order on that first clue.

But when Paul said "What is cereal?" he got The Stare. So after a couple of beats he added the word "drama". In similar situations, Alex has intervened during those beats to say something like, "Ok, but for this category we're looking for a phrase that uses the pair of words."

I suppose you can say this is a TOC and when we ask for an "Ongoing TV drama about Cap'n Crunch or Cheerios", that's not just any old serial, and it's not a cereal at all. It's a cereal serial. I get that. But it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I feel this little hitch in the proceedings could have been anticipated and avoided.

Then in the DJ round, I felt Paul fell victim to another questionable call. He responded to: "Rubbing your finger on the rim causes the glass to vibrate. The sound's pitch is due to this 9-letter term, the number of vibrations per second" with "What is resonance?" They wanted "What is frequency?" Ok, I would have given the response they wanted because "vibrations per second" made me lean toward "frequency". But, really, it isn't just any old frequency that causes the glass to vibrate, right? As I understand it, it's the resonant frequency. Is it wrong to say that the glass has a resonance of X vibrations (or cycles) per second? When we talk about the Schuman Resonance, we're talking about the resonant frequency of the Earth. The Schuman Resonance is 7.8 cycles per second. Is that a special case and in general we're not allowed to use "resonance" as a shorthand for "resonant frequency" and speak of it in "cycles per second"?

Have we got any college physics teachers from Somerville who can give us a ruling?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

opusthepenguin wrote:I
Then in the DJ round, I felt Paul fell victim to another questionable call. He responded to: "Rubbing your finger on the rim causes the glass to vibrate. The sound's pitch is due to this 9-letter term, the number of vibrations per second" with "What is resonance?" They wanted "What is frequency?" Ok, I would have given the response they wanted because "vibrations per second" made me lean toward "frequency". But, really, it isn't just any old frequency that causes the glass to vibrate, right? As I understand it, it's the resonant frequency. Is it wrong to say that the glass has a resonance of X vibrations (or cycles) per second? When we talk about the Schuman Resonance, we're talking about the resonant frequency of the Earth. The Schuman Resonance is 7.8 cycles per second. Is that a special case and in general we're not allowed to use "resonance" as a shorthand for "resonant frequency" and speak of it in "cycles per second"?

Have we got any college physics teachers from Somerville who can give us a ruling?
Sorry, not from Somerville, but I'll give it a shot.

The question was poor as you indicate: it was describing the fact that rubbing along the rim of a wine glass excites resonance, however when it described "the number of vibrations per second" it is asking for a response of "frequency" (or resonant frequency) and nothing else. A clumsy clue, but the last phrase of it was very clear, and answering "resonance" is wrong. Resonance as a term is not in general shorthand for resonant frequency, since there are other quantities of a resonant system that are important too (eg. amplitude).
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I've never seen them require a ressponse of saying the homophone twice. It seems both dumb and unfair- Alex needed to tell the players if they are departing from SOP.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.