Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8651
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

pkursk wrote:Checking in! Here to take my thoroughly deserved lashing head-on. First off, huge congrats to Buddy & Erin. A convincing and well-earned win by Buddy and very nice game by Erin. I was really frustrated with my performance -- I can bear losing but don't feel I acquitted myself well.
One thing I'm curious about ... which Roosevelt were you thinking of when you responded to the QE2 corgi clue? I was thinking Eleanor -- of course she would have been 56 in 1940 -- and I am guessing that the Hyde Park part of the clue threw you off.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6806
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

shubhaghosh wrote:
seaborgium wrote: Uh, yes, but there is only one X in this case. But it is always good to double check.
I count six noble gases.

Yes, but the category was asking for an answer that begins with the letter K.
Luckily one of those six does, as you can find in a quick recitation down the noble gas column of the periodic table!

pkursk
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by pkursk »

econgator wrote:
pkursk wrote:Checking in! Here to take my thoroughly deserved lashing head-on. First off, huge congrats to Buddy & Erin. A convincing and well-earned win by Buddy and very nice game by Erin. I was really frustrated with my performance -- I can bear losing but don't feel I acquitted myself well.
One thing I'm curious about ... which Roosevelt were you thinking of when you responded to the QE2 corgi clue? I was thinking Eleanor -- of course she would have been 56 in 1940 -- and I am guessing that the Hyde Park part of the clue threw you off.
Eleanor's who I was thinking. Sadly, logic had nothing to do with it. I heard Hyde Park and off to the races...and it had to be one of the times I beat Buddy to the buzzer, of course.

User avatar
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 708
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:56 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by billiej »

alietr wrote:
Now ... Animal House?!??! Say Anything?!?!?! I'll give you My Favorite Year, but those two?!?! Thank you. I feel better now. Somehow my shouting answers at the TV only seems to work for Joon.
The Animal House TS had me screaming at my TV despite a sore throat. At least I got one TOC FJ! Whoo!

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7341
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

pkursk wrote:
econgator wrote:
pkursk wrote:Checking in! Here to take my thoroughly deserved lashing head-on. First off, huge congrats to Buddy & Erin. A convincing and well-earned win by Buddy and very nice game by Erin. I was really frustrated with my performance -- I can bear losing but don't feel I acquitted myself well.
One thing I'm curious about ... which Roosevelt were you thinking of when you responded to the QE2 corgi clue? I was thinking Eleanor -- of course she would have been 56 in 1940 -- and I am guessing that the Hyde Park part of the clue threw you off.
Eleanor's who I was thinking. Sadly, logic had nothing to do with it. I heard Hyde Park and off to the races...and it had to be one of the times I beat Buddy to the buzzer, of course.
Actually, it was Erin you beat to the buzzer. She let you ring in with the wrong answer before ringing in with the correct one. She also let Buddy win the match because she knew she could grab a wild card spot. It suits her plans not to look like a power player, all the better to crush her enemies, see them driven before her, and hear the lamentation of the men. If you evaluate her play in the College tournament and here, you'll see that she's an evil genius in this respect. I'll predict right now that she wins this whole thing. Assuming it suits her plans. You can never really get into the mind of an evil genius. :lol:

shubhaghosh
Contributor
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by shubhaghosh »

seaborgium wrote:
shubhaghosh wrote:
seaborgium wrote: Uh, yes, but there is only one X in this case. But it is always good to double check.
I count six noble gases.

Yes, but the category was asking for an answer that begins with the letter K.
Luckily one of those six does, as you can find in a quick recitation down the noble gas column of the periodic table!

Luckily also for the writers, otherwise the clue would not make sense (unless I am forgetting some tease out for kypton). It's better to careful of course, and that's your point.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6806
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

My point is that dismissing a run-through of noble gases because only one begins with K (which I inferred you were doing, apologies if I was mistaken) is, as has been put at times on this board, assuming contestant knowledge not in evidence. Although noble gases are a small list and this may not have actually been the case for Buddy with regard to them, you can have a list memorized without having instant knowledge of the "wordplay" details of its items.

User avatar
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:30 am

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

The tease-out for krypton is "hidden", as that is also seen in cryptography, encryption, etc.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.

Glassysquid
Jeopardy 2010-B College Champion
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:55 am
Location: Narragansett, RI

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Glassysquid »

opusthepenguin wrote:Actually, it was Erin you beat to the buzzer. She let you ring in with the wrong answer before ringing in with the correct one. She also let Buddy win the match because she knew she could grab a wild card spot. It suits her plans not to look like a power player, all the better to crush her enemies, see them driven before her, and hear the lamentation of the men. If you evaluate her play in the College tournament and here, you'll see that she's an evil genius in this respect. I'll predict right now that she wins this whole thing. Assuming it suits her plans. You can never really get into the mind of an evil genius. :lol:
Hahahahaha this is easily the funniest thing I've read about myself here. (I'd gve you the title of funniest thing on the Internet, but twitter this time around has been ridiculous (complimentarily so, which has been nice).)

Future game spoiler:
Spoiler
Guess I'm not an evil genius, considering what happened on Wednesday. Sorry to disappoint you with my lack of maniacal plans. :]
Proud member of ESPRIT DE CORPS, otherwise known as the 16 fine individuals who participated in the 2010-B College Championship, and the outstanding ToC Class of 2011.
Fish/squid enthusiast and Ph. D student at the University of Rhode Island.

User avatar
aggiebud
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by aggiebud »

seaborgium wrote:My point is that dismissing a run-through of noble gases because only one begins with K (which I inferred you were doing, apologies if I was mistaken) is, as has been put at times on this board, assuming contestant knowledge not in evidence. Although noble gases are a small list and this may not have actually been the case for Buddy with regard to them, you can have a list memorized without having instant knowledge of the "wordplay" details of its items.

Here's exactly what happened...
I knew the category. Saw the clue...noble gas...What noble gas starts with K?
<crickets>
Ok, Buddy go down the list...Neon, Argon, Xenon, Krypton...wait a minute...that's IT!

Anything wrong with that?

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7080
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Monday, November 7, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

Speaking of elements, some people here may find this artist's exhibit to be of interest (there is Xenon, but no Seaborgium):

http://www.studiogallerydc.com/artists/ ... orks.shtml

Post Reply